• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Mario RPG |ST| Seven Stars, Loco Train Cars

Credits rolled last night. I'm glad that I finally got around to playing this game. I bought it on the Wii VC many years ago, but I think I barely got past the opening section (like many virtual console games back in the day).

Anyway, I was surprised by how easy it was (played it on normal) and how quick of a game it was. Outside of a couple of enemies, like in that one cave, I largely breezed my way to the final section of the game. I absolutely sucked with timing my actions correctly in battle. I got the attacks down pretty good after a little bit of work, but my defense absolutely sucked. I never managed to get a good hold on block the random attacks. As for the pacing, I wasn't going at a speed running pace or anything, but when I realized how quickly I unlocked the fourth star, I was thinking "This will be pretty fast for an RPG."

Game-wise, I loved it. There was a lot of charm with the characters. Geno and Mallow for Smash when? There was plenty of friendly back and forth banter. The platforming could be a little frustrating at times, but the checkpoints were very forgivable so it wasn't as bad. The mini games had plenty of variety, even if some of the controls were frustrating. I'm sorry, but I couldn't complete the Yoshi race lol.

Again, this felt very easy and straight forward of a game. Some of the areas had a little bit of a maze to them, but it was largely linear. There was next to no grinding needed. The bosses were not too dangerous, mostly just HP tanks. I don't mean to belittle it because I really liked Super Mario RPG, but it did kind of feel like "baby's first JRPG".

So overall I give it an 8/10. While the level design has certainly aged, the work put into this remake was excellent. Being able to switch back and forth with the music was very nice. The world at large was very gorgeous.

With the battles, is it when the ! appears above your head is when you should press A to boost your attack? Some attacks I just can’t seem to get the timing down.

With the battles, is it when the ! appears above your head is when you should press A to boost your attack? Some attacks I just can’t seem to get the timing down.
Yes, both to boost attack and to block when you get attacked. Your Specials have points where you can boost them too, and yes, the timing is pretty tough to get down.

This might be helpful to anyone struggling with the jumps (like me!), gonna go fight Smithy now.

Damn the ending made me cry, the original was already emotional but Mallow carrying the Geno doll broke me, also the parade having the original SNES style... geez.

There are some quibbles here and there with this remake but holy shit did it make me fall in love with this game all over again. Still one of my all time favorite games over 25 years later. I'm so glad this exists.

The mini games had plenty of variety, even if some of the controls were frustrating. I'm sorry, but I couldn't complete the Yoshi race lol.
I consider myself good at rhythm games, but I still do not understand the Yoshi race from numerous playthroughs across decades even if I generally get what it wants from me.

The trick to win in the remake at least is to do well for all of the first five seconds and then just mash the cookie button and Yoshi will just win for you.

Just made it to the mole tunnel.

First time playing this game and besides the Yoshi race thing (That was awful) the game has been a joy to play. I forgot that Mario RPG's could make me laugh hysterically.

I consider myself good at rhythm games, but I still do not understand the Yoshi race from numerous playthroughs across decades even if I generally get what it wants from me.

The trick to win in the remake at least is to do well for all of the first five seconds and then just mash the cookie button and Yoshi will just win for you.
Yeah I did the tutorial three or four times in a row and was pushing A and B perfectly in time with the flashes on screen, and Toad kept saying "you're not really getting it at all" and I don't know wtf I was doing wrong 😅

God damn that Smithy remix goes dummy hard

So can we get a sequel to this game with the remakes artstyle/ Yoko soundtrack just longer
This is literally all I want in life

Well there's other things, but this is the biggest one

That said I think the brevity of the Mario RPG games are one of their biggest strength, I wouldn't want it to be toooooo much longer; 20-25 hours seems good

That said I think the brevity of the Mario RPG games are one of their biggest strength, I wouldn't want it to be toooooo much longer; 20-25 hours seems good
Chrono Trigger length is a good length 😉

So can we get a sequel to this game with the remakes artstyle/ Yoko soundtrack just longer
I've wanted a sequel to Mario RPG for decades. I really hope people pick this game up and it happens if the plan isn't to make one already.

I don’t want the hypothetical sequel to be too long, just long enough that I‘m not depressed when the credits role wishing for more

I’ve held off hope of Mario rpg coming back for years, and now with the remake I don’t know if I can stop dreaming of a continuation. Please, god (Or Nintendo) , let this game sell well enough square has no choice but to make more

I've finally gotten a chance to put some time into this one. I'm two Stars in, finally getting a feel for the battles and all of the other mechanics.

For me, Super Mario RPG was always the game for the generation of Mario fans that came before me. I remember going on Mario fan sites in the late 90s and early 2000s and seeing the sheer reverence folks had for this strange looking adventure with all these unique characters and stuff. This was a formative title, one that expanded on what Mario could be, and that hit a lot of people. But I was born...probably five years too late for that, as all of those feelings instead went towards the first two Paper Mario games and Mario & Luigi. Sure, in reality they were following in the footsteps of Super Mario RPG - the former starting off as a sequel and the latter having many of the same developers - but they were my formative experiences, still some of my favorite games to this day, even.
totally get where you're coming from here! after joining video game forums when i was 13 in 2011, i saw many mentions of SMRPG and it was always so mysterious to me. seemed like such a cool relic of the past that i would never totally "get" because it's SNES-bound graphics just did not appeal to my gen-z eyes. now, with this remake, i feel like i can actually understand what everyone was referring to! it is such a fun and quirky adventure that is helped greatly by partnering with SE to make it all the more odd, in the best way possible.

i truly hope we can get a proper sequel and echo the people above mentioning something meatier and longer. i would love to see it.

just rescued princess peach and got to star hill. can't wait to see what's next.

Had a lot of time today and managed to get all the way through the sixth star.

It feels like things are getting close to the end now. I'm definitely going to be finished in under 15 hours, which is not too surprising. It's been fun getting more powerful attacks and destroying herds of enemies as I level up more. This game has really captivated me!

The Yoshi races have taught me an important thing today...

...man, does my TV have bad audio delay! While docked I could not get the timing down at all. Switch to handheld mode, and it became extremely easy! If anyone is playing docked and had trouble with that mini game, check your TV settings!

Got to the marriage chapel. The cutscene. They did a CGI cutscene for that scene. Holy shit lmao that got me.

I believe someone earlier in the thread (was it Weiss?) mentioned getting softlocked here, nice to see it’ll get patched.
(If only this was a harbinger for potential future patches for QOL or other things people were keen to see eg Hard mode)…

How they changed the ecnounter with Speardovich / Yaridovich to teach the player about the new triple tech was ingenious (and a stroke of luck that the original was so forward thinking to setup a battle based on disabling buttons).

Also still worth posting for a quick laugh now that the remake is out (and FFVII remake project is ongoing):
K4kOUeX.jpg

I love the brevity of this experience. The pacing is top tier. I just recently beat the mario and Luigi: Bowsers inside story remake on 3ds, and while I enjoyed it, at 30 plus hours it just felt too long

I have two additional observations about SMRPG.
  1. The quick pacing gives this game a really addictive quality. I'm getting the star pieces very quickly and I just want to keep playing to see the next area or see the next gag.
  2. I'm interested in what things were re-localized versus what was not. Like how the "Koopa Troop" is called "Bowser's Minions" now and we have various localizations or relocalizations of items and enemies, but "Yo'ster Isle" wasn't turned into "Yoshi's Island" and the overall items that Mario uses for equipment are still called "shirts".

Don't know if anyone here is aware, but the ending (before the credits) changes a bit after you beat the bosses in the rematch
The changes I spotted: Belome appears in the tadpole choir part on the left, Punchinello is helping fix Bowser's castle in the botton and Culex 2D apears in the up-right corner of the monstro town "star" show

Last edited:
I have two additional observations about SMRPG.
  1. The quick pacing gives this game a really addictive quality. I'm getting the star pieces very quickly and I just want to keep playing to see the next area or see the next gag.
  2. I'm interested in what things were re-localized versus what was not. Like how the "Koopa Troop" is called "Bowser's Minions" now and we have various localizations or relocalizations of items and enemies, but "Yo'ster Isle" wasn't turned into "Yoshi's Island" and the overall items that Mario uses for equipment are still called "shirts".
I'm kinda salty they didn't rename the Super Suit the Super Jumper as it is in Japanese. It's a perfect pun! It's literally a jumper you get from the Super Jump!

SMRPG_SuperSuit.PNG

Alright, having pondered this game for a couple days I will try and compile my thoughts into actual constructive sentences instead of just geeking out about this game even existing. There are 5 things about remake I think incapsulate everything that makes it so great, and my personal GOTY
1.) Small additions, major payoffs: The first thing I feel the remake really nails is in the smaller additions of the monster list, journal, and improved environments. The monster list fleshes out the monsters and enemies with more witty and understandable dialogue than the sometimes baffling Ted woolsey thought peeks. Some entries give insight into characters backstories (Croco and Dodo), some give rational from the developers as to why the enemies function as they do (exor being the main example) and some are just plain funny (micro goomba being me favorite). The journal similarly gives added characterization to Mallow and Geno, two characters who absolutely deserved the added screen time after years of absence (some of the journals entries are also just really funny). The improved environments also add so much to the game. Having actual backgrounds to stages instead of just blank voids makes the world feel 100 times more alive and lived in, and also makes every screen in the game feel like it’s own little diorama
2.) More of what you love: Although in terms of actual new adventure compared to the Mario and Luigi remakes, which added full on side stories, this remake is lacking, what is here feels like a perfect epilogue to the main game. Rematches against 7 of the main games most iconic boss fights all given new attacks, difficulty, and sometimes completely new mechanics never seen in the base game. Punchinello for instance has a gimmick where you can’t really attack him on your own, and have to rely on perfect hitting his own minions back on him. For both bundt and booster you have to prevent the boss from completing something or else they destroy your entire team in one go. Beyond the boss fights themselves, just having new weapons, dialogue, and stuff to do in this game is surreal after years of even a port of this game being considered highly unlikely. As awesome as it would have been for a full new story with new characters and areas as a post game, what we got is an interesting spin on the combat system, and an insane final boss against REDACTED
3.) Reinventing while retaining: While I have talked on the new things the remake offers, my most passionate praise comes in what they retained from the 1996 version. Them not just completely scraping the Ted Woolsey script, and instead modernizing it in areas while keeping most of the iconic lines is an incredible move. It would have taken far less effort for them to just directly translate the Japanese script to the English version, but they went with the most laborious route because the original English script was beloved by so many people. And they didn’t just keep the old script, old references (ROB, Samus, Link, FF6 robot, REDACTED, Arwing, F-Zero race cars, diskun, no Bruce Lee sadly), annoying isometric platforming, strange color schemes and characterizations for certain enemies, virtually everything that gave the original such a unique vibe is still here
4.) Perfecting the combat: The combat in this remake amplifies the combat of the original mainly via revisions to the timed hit mechanic. In the original game, the only thing that would inform you if you preformed the correct action command was a sound effect. Outside of that you just had to memorize every single attack on your own. By making it so that a hit marker appears when you are learning the precise timing, you have an opportunity to actually learn the pattern, making it feel more based on skill than luck. The game still ensures memorization by taking away the hit marker after multiple successful timed hits, making it so that the game doesn’t remove the challenge in getting perfect hits. The improved timed hit aren’t the only way the game improves on the battle system however, with the addition of harder special enemies adding to the challenge. The original game was already easy, and with the aforementioned changes to actions commands alongside perfect timed hits rewarding splash damage, the remake ran the risk of becoming too easy even for novice players. And while the game isn’t completely innocent of this, having it so that far harder version of every regular enemy of a chance to appear during combat alleviates the issue tremendously.
5.) Goodness gracious the music: I know I said earlier that I would refrain from letting my biases ring too hard, this is the exception. The music in this game is too good, like the music for some 10 hour remake of a game thats like 50th Place in terms of sales in its franchise should not have music this good. The instrumentation is insanely good, with the instruments adding a sense of life unachievable on the SNES sound chip. The strong violin in fight against bowser, the upbeat steel drums in tadpole pond, and the roaring brass in rose town are just some of the many examples of inspired choices for the music. Barrel volcano with the chill guitar strumming away in the background, the intimidating and overwhelming vibe of Smithy phase 2, the calming and serene music that plays once you beat REDACTED, I could really go on for hours about how every single song on this OST is amazing.

In conclusion, this is probably not the most high quality game this year. This year in general has been stacked with high quality releases in a way few years in gaming could say they were. But Super Mario RPG is my favorite game of all time, and getting to see this world and cast of characters I thought lost to time back in HD is something I will never not be grateful for. So thanks for reading all the way! Was really itching to get out my thoughts on this game, so yeah, PEACE!

I’ve beaten the game, finally after all this years I’ve played all mario rpg games.
This was such a sublime experience, what a beautiful game full of charm and great ideas. I loved it from start to finish.
While you can still see how the game is still an snes isometric 3d RPG even in this remake (with the more linear structure and screen by screen progression) it’s still a gorgeous looking game to both look and play, I actually enjoyed the platforming section in this game, they were nothing special but they were fun.
The music in insanely good, and while the remixed soundtrack is excellent I changed to original at every new music because i just couldn’t believe that some of this compositions were made originally on the snes.
Amazing game and well worth the cult status it got all this year, as a huge mario and luigi rpg it felt like I was playing a lost mario and luigi game that I’ve never played. I would love to see a new Mario Rpg game in the same style as this, the mario and luigi games expanded on some of the ideas of this game (especially the platforming and level design) but since that series is dead I’d love to see those improvements on a new hd mario rpg game.
This is better than all the paper Mario games and if they start making sequel of this I won’t care anymore for a return of the old style of paper mario.
Also I love Mallow and if someone from this game should get into smash it should be him.

I'm kinda salty they didn't rename the Super Suit the Super Jumper as it is in Japanese. It's a perfect pun! It's literally a jumper you get from the Super Jump!

SMRPG_SuperSuit.PNG
I'd be more sad if I had any remote chance of getting the Super Jumper. 30 jumps? Hard but doable. 100 jumps??? Utterly ridiculous.

(Psst. Hey, Nintendo and/or Square Enix. I'm in the market for more sweatshirts. If you make the Super Jumper real, I will buy one!)

Ya'll really weren't kidding about the post game stuff

Not only are the battles exciting and a challenge, but I'm loving all the new character interactions and continuing story beats. This is fantastic

This little portion of new stuff is more than enough evidence to me that this crew could easily continue the vibe and spirit of SMRPG right on into a new game, not merely put polish on a classic.

Also, I really need Mallow and Geno in a Mario Tennis or Kart game. Like just imagine Mallow losing a match and then it starts raining... or them winning and doing the level up jig? How can you not want that level of joy in your life?

Ya'll really weren't kidding about the post game stuff

Not only are the battles exciting and a challenge, but I'm loving all the new character interactions and continuing story beats. This is fantastic

This little portion of new stuff is more than enough evidence to me that this crew could easily continue the vibe and spirit of SMRPG right on into a new game, not merely put polish on a classic.

Also, I really need Mallow and Geno in a Mario Tennis or Kart game. Like just imagine Mallow losing a match and then it starts raining... or them winning and doing the level up jig? How can you not want that level of joy in your life?
I always had the idea of mallow not getting the memo and showing up prepared for a different sport than the game is based on. Like he has tennis gear for baseball, a golf club for tennis, and a baseball bat for basketball

I always had the idea of mallow not getting the memo and showing up prepared for a different sport than the game is based on. Like he has tennis gear for baseball, a golf club for tennis, and a baseball bat for basketball
He should absolutely believe that every other sport is just cricket, aka his childhood game

Was clearing out my captures and thought I'd share a few of my faves from this game!
4F68KFN.jpg

pNPGAsg.jpg

DFXsuDD.jpg

bJhYsgz.jpg

8vDjZMw.jpg

93ncFSx.jpg

I also made a GIF of the last boss rematch:
mpp6DRg.gif

Was clearing out my captures and thought I'd share a few of my faves from this game!
4F68KFN.jpg

pNPGAsg.jpg

DFXsuDD.jpg

bJhYsgz.jpg

8vDjZMw.jpg

93ncFSx.jpg

I also made a GIF of the last boss rematch:
mpp6DRg.gif
I always loved the look of Bean Valley in particular, and it's great in the remake. More games need autumn-colored areas!

Getting close to the end, and while I certainly don't regret my time with the game, I definitely feel a bit let down compared to the hype and praise it's garnered. There just isn't all that much substance here. Story is nonexistent, writing is pretty minimal, combat is alright but a bit messy (action commands rely a lot more on muscle memory compared to other Mario RPGs), world design isn't particularly compelling, etc. Very light and breezy, which helps the pacing a lot, but I dunno if there's a single part from the first 6 chapters that will stick with me at all. It's a fun game with a nice presentation, but beyond that? I'd rather play most of the other Mario RPGs.

Probably would rank it fairly low compared to the other Mario RPGs that I've played, right next to Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, not sure which of the two I'd put higher. Depends on my mood, I suppose.

I just beat it and it’s easily my favorite Mario RPG

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t understand what “good story” means in the context of a Mario game

I liked how much of an action game this is with the battles being so dynamic with different characters and weapons changing up the action commands

I never played Thousand Year Door so I can’t compare the two but this is way better than any Paper Mario I’ve played

I liked it a lot but I have to admit I was a little let down as well for the first few chapters, because of my own expectations based on the games reputation. I adjusted them accordingly and had a lot of fun, but in the end I'd also rank it lower than the first three Mario & Luigi games and the first two Paper Marios (as well as Origami King if we include games from the post-RPG Paper Mario era). The world is small and feels disconnected, the platform sections are annoying, the controls in the mini games make some of them really hard and the hitbox of the hidden treasures is way too small. Still, despite the games flaws that are a relict of its time, this is a really charming and funny game and the remake is a love letter to the original. I love the updated visuals and the rearranged soundtrack is phenomenal. I also had a lot of fun with the newly added post game.

I liked it a lot but I have to admit I was a little let down as well for the first few chapters, because of my own expectations based on the games reputation. I adjusted them accordingly and had a lot of fun, but in the end I'd also rank it lower than the first three Mario & Luigi games and the first two Paper Marios (as well as Origami King if we include games from the post-RPG Paper Mario era). The world is small and feels disconnected, the platform sections are annoying, the controls in the mini games make some of them really hard and the hitbox of the hidden treasures is way too small. Still, despite the games flaws that are a relict of its time, this is a really charming and funny game and the remake is a love letter to the original. I love the updated visuals and the rearranged soundtrack is phenomenal. I also had a lot of fun with the newly added post game.
Same, basically sums up my thoughts too.

Getting close to the end, and while I certainly don't regret my time with the game, I definitely feel a bit let down compared to the hype and praise it's garnered. There just isn't all that much substance here. Story is nonexistent, writing is pretty minimal, combat is alright but a bit messy (action commands rely a lot more on muscle memory compared to other Mario RPGs), world design isn't particularly compelling, etc. Very light and breezy, which helps the pacing a lot, but I dunno if there's a single part from the first 6 chapters that will stick with me at all. It's a fun game with a nice presentation, but beyond that? I'd rather play most of the other Mario RPGs.

Probably would rank it fairly low compared to the other Mario RPGs that I've played, right next to Mario & Luigi Paper Jam, not sure which of the two I'd put higher. Depends on my mood, I suppose.
First time through as well, currently on the fifth star. I echo quite a bit of this.

Pros are that the game is very charming, very fast paced (which is refreshing for a JRPG). The unique characters and enemies have aged very well. Music is gorgeous.
Mallow and Geno are great, the entire 4th star segment was awesome. It definitely captures what one would think a “Super Mario RPG” would be in the most simple way that future Mario RPGs didn’t really - you traverse through a world map and complete short and sweet levels, just with an RPG flair in the battle system and level design.

But it definitely lacks a little oomph compared to later Mario RPGs. Sometimes the pace is a bit too quick. Moleville section is an example. Visited the town for like 5 minutes, dungeon for like 20, boss with no buildup at all and got the third star. Not having much to do in the towns is weird - particularly because they get this from classic Final Fantasy where you don’t really spend much time in a lot of those towns and it doesn’t bother me there, but when the comparison to Paper Mario is more on my mind where you do have to do those little odd jobs in towns, it becomes more obvious.

I’ve read the names of the Smithy Gang so much over the years so maybe my expectations were too high but it feels like they don’t get enough screentime to shine. Certainly not on the level of the Koopa Bros, Tubba Blubba, Shadow Sirens, Crump, Grubba, Francis, Mimi, Dimentio, Fawful… all those villains that get a whole chapter to themselves, or get in your way throughout the game. You pretty much just see them for their boss fight, and they don’t even get a ton of dialogue there (Punchinello just felt so random to me).

Dont get me wrong, overall really enjoying my time with the game - it’s VERY refreshing and it’s a joy to finally play it. There’s a lot to love. Just don’t think I could put it on as high of a pedestal as I do the best of its successors. If this is a test for more games in this style, I’d hope a successor is a bit more meaty and gives towns, locations, characters, story beats a bit more room to breathe. It often feels like I spend to little time in certain parts for them to have the impact they should. All these creative character designs, enemy designs, setpieces, scenarios that I’m just blasting through. The bones are great, they just need more meat. Also hope for a bit more flair in the presentation (more voice clips, sfx), but for this remake I don’t fault them at all for sticking closely to the original game.

Last edited:
I just beat it and it’s easily my favorite Mario RPG

Maybe it’s just me but I don’t understand what “good story” means in the context of a Mario game

I liked how much of an action game this is with the battles being so dynamic with different characters and weapons changing up the action commands

I never played Thousand Year Door so I can’t compare the two but this is way better than any Paper Mario I’ve played

Some people will never be happy with a story, tbh.

So, I am seeing a lot of comments about the game being breezy, accessible, easy, etc. Is that accurate? I haven't played the original - before my time. I always wanted to but SNES games always feel too difficult for me, lol.

That Luigi head somehow reminds me of the Super Dimentio Luigi head come to think of it...

In terms of other SMRPG related old media, Jiro Mifune has posted a number of old unused character designs. Seems like there was an intention to expand the world quite a bit here (and I wonder how much from this overlaps with Kurashima-san's outline of the weapon world/Mario world character chart):

Back
Top Bottom