• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Mario RPG |ST| Seven Stars, Loco Train Cars

big lantern ghost

cantstandya
Pronouns
he/him
ImfjauP.png

wJfe3oT.gif

OkL9m1R.png

Something Old,
Lovingly Retold

IJzHrt9.gif

The original Mario role-playing game is back, in Switch form! SMRPG has been reimagined in a way that evokes the bold colours and squat dimensions of the source material, alongside a re-orchestration of Yoko Shimomura’s soundtrack. Rebuild Star Road and meet some of the most memorable original characters the Mario universe has seen along the way, again or for the first time.

Some Things New,
For Its Modern Debut

wkVb0Bt.gif

• Perfectly timed attacks deal splash damage to all enemies, and successful commands fill the new Action Gauge. Once it’s full you can unleash a Triple Move, powerful new attacks where the whole party chips in. There’s a bespoke Triple Move for every party combination!
  • A bestiary that serves as a handy reference of an enemy’s current HP and weaknesses.
  • Tricky post-game boss rematches!
  • Toggle between the new or original soundtrack any time.
  • Easy Mode lets you focus on the story and overall experience. This setting can be toggled any time.
  • Surprises!
Booster &
The Loco Express

XwfhP2R.gif

Well, OK. Booster didn’t need his own section of the StarTopic. Obviously he’d be in the remake. But just…look at that guy, and his ‘lil train! Yes!

Overview
Trailer

This StarTopic is masterfully crafted! It gets all my love. Can’t wait to finally play this in full! I rented it on weekends during my childhood, but I never got super far. (Whoever would rent it during weekdays would aaaaaalways delete my save file!! Haha)

similar to Super Mario Wonder , there is no day 1 patch it seems

(Whoever would rent it during weekdays would aaaaaalways delete my save file!! Haha)
Oh god, this shot me back to childhood in the realest way. Renting cartridges was the pits lol
I’m super pumped to take on all of the new super bosses
It’s a fun idea! I intend to dig into that stuff too. I wonder if they’ll do a rematch for that boss.
😂 I’m speechless, buddy. I feel like this did some very efficient work in tying yet another game intrinsically to Seinfeld in my brain

Time to finally find out the greatness of this game. It looks sooo good!

Great ST! Will not get the game straight away, but I'm pretty much bound to pick it up sometime.

ok, I'll give it a try, even if the reviews are not as stellar as the internet painted this game over the years. It's the only mario rpg I never played so I should give it a shot just to complete the franchise.

ok, I'll give it a try, even if the reviews are not as stellar as the internet painted this game over the years. It's the only mario rpg I never played so I should give it a shot just to complete the franchise.
The game is definitely overrated online imo. I played it multiple times through my life and I never saw what was so amazing about it. The reviews it has seem a lot more fitting.

The game is definitely overrated online imo. I played it multiple times through my life and I never saw what was so amazing about it. The reviews it has seem a lot more fitting.

It was a really creative RPG at the time and it was cool to see the Mario World fleshed out and adapted to the RPG genre for the first time. There isn't a lot of filler in the game. It's very laid back. and breezy I think it still holds up well in 2023 but it's true that it has been surpassed by the first two Paper Mario games and probably the first Mario & Luigi in numerous ways. So it can seem as a bit of a step backwards if you never played it before.

I'll see, I have the same opinion has you do for the first 2 paper mario games (I think they're really overrated online) but I also adore the mario and luigi series, so if the games leans more on the mario and luigi side and less on the paper mario side I'll probably like it more.

I'll see, I have the same opinion has you do for the first 2 paper mario games (I think they're really overrated online) but I also adore the mario and luigi series, so if the games leans more on the mario and luigi side and less on the paper mario side I'll probably like it more.
For what it's worth, people involved in developing SMRPG back in the day went on to form Alpha Dream and make the Mario & Luigi games.

The game is closer to Mario & Luigi. The plot has some elements in common with the first Paper Mario (it feels like the Paper Mario team started from a very general brief of Mario RPG storyline, and they gave it their spin).

Wish we'd get interviews on the development of this game, but i can't find any anywhere. Seems like the only press/interviews Ninty did for the winter has been for Mario Wonder. Warioware didn't get any either

Fantastic ST! Looking forward to spending some time with this game tomorrow. I haven't played it in over 10 years at this point.

Last time I played through this was a few years ago on my SNES classic. It was my first time playing it, and I loved it. Excited to play it again, it’s got such a cool vibe

I'm super excited for this. I love classic Paper Mario but have never played more than 20 minutes of this. I'm so pumped to get into it and see Mario's RPG roots! It looks incredible!

I have next week off from work which gives me a lot of time to play this... although I’ll probably blow through most of it this weekend anyway.

Really hope the boss rematches offer a decent challenge.

Beautiful ST.

Tomorrow evening I'm all alone at home, I'll treat myself with a nice homemade vanilla pudding while I'll play this. Can't wait !

Haven't really played it since the Wii U Virtual Console release (played a little bit on the SNES Mini but barely after the introduction), so I really can't wait to dive back in.

Imo, it's still the best Mario RPG along TTYD.
Bowser Inside's Story is close behind.

(Not even a nostalgia thing. I'm european so I didn't play this until it released on Virtual Console, more than a decade after its initial release. It's legitimately a fun, feel good RPG game, with good pacing and no tiresome bullshit)

I got emotional hearing the various remixes but I full on started crying hearing the Bandit's Way remix. As a kid I was stuck on Croco forever so I heard this music a LOT. Hearing the full remix... it's too much. It really feels like coming home.

I can't imagine how Yoko feels getting a chance to remix this game over 25 years later.

Oh and the game is pretty good so far

Beat Mack Claymorton, looooooove this remix:

Gonna call it a night but definitely looking forward to more this weekend

@Yamanoi I have started playing and I’ll have you know that the Larry David in my mind is critiquing everything I’m doing.

“Ehh, you don’t have to fight every Goomba. You have to fight every Goomba?”

(Yes Larry, I do.)

I'm struck by how fast the opening is, this is like the gold standard start-to-gameplay in an RPG.

One minute cutscene, and then you're in a dungeon fighting Terrapins? Did Sonic the Hedgehog program this!?

That’s a star studded ST, kudos OP!

~~~

IMG_2594.jpg

Thought this was cute from the peeps in charge of the News section on the Switch

I'm struck by how fast the opening is, this is like the gold standard start-to-gameplay in an RPG.

One minute cutscene, and then you're in a dungeon fighting Terrapins? Did Sonic the Hedgehog program this!?
Bowser's Keep is basically a glorified tutorial. But they do a good job setting up the plot with a lot of intrigue and mystery early on.

@Yamanoi I have started playing and I’ll have you know that the Larry David in my mind is critiquing everything I’m doing.

“Ehh, you don’t have to fight every Goomba. You have to fight every Goomba?”

(Yes Larry, I do.)
I desperately wanna watch LD stare down a Goomba to assess whether it's worth fighting or not.

Back
Top Bottom