• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Super Mario RPG |ST| Seven Stars, Loco Train Cars

Just beat it, much shorter than I expected. I've never played any Mario RPG game before and thought it was pretty average. The combat was way too easy, the platforming felt awful and I thought the dungeons were pretty mediocre, also what was with the lack of SFX in textboxes and cutscenes? Very jarring.

Bowser was pretty awesome as a party member though and I thought the music and visuals were pretty good. I'll probably give TTYD a try when that comes and see if that's more up my alley out as I love JRPGs and Mario games and yet this just didn't do anything for me.

The muscle memory is too strong, I keep hitting Y on the special attack menu to try and do a special, and A if I want to switch to a normal attack.

Loving how they preserved the 90s prerender aesthetic. The Mushroom Kingdom looks so delightfully off and I'm here for it.

The muscle memory is too strong, I keep hitting Y on the special attack menu to try and do a special, and A if I want to switch to a normal attack.
You can change that in the settings menu.

I will also miss Frogfucius. I’m guessing they wanted to avoid the already questionable stereotype as much as possible though.
They seem to have gotten rid of the instances where he called characters "grasshopper" for the same reason.

Hoooooooly cow another person who has Cris Tales!! I thought I was alone!
I had to see what was going on with it, it looked like a Rob Renzetti cartoon in RPG form :LOL:

Super Jump timing got me like 😩

I can't even begin to guess what the right timing is since clearly it is not "what it was on SNES."

Belome not making a sound when he roars in his boss intro was the first time the lack of voice acting bothered me, but it's a minor complaint.

I also always manage to get lost in Kero Sewers lol

Does anyone know if Mario's jump still gets stronger after every 2 Jumps? It still shows 25 in the menu but it seems like it's stronger. I was able to one shot a hammer bro.

2 things-
1: Holy crap does this game lag. Literally every room there's pretty big frame drops for me. Idk if Digital Foundry was playing on the Switch 2 or what. Even during battles I get frame drops.

2: Is there a reason to hold onto the flower consumables?

I did the 2nd star and yeah this game is pretty fun. It feels like a final fantasy game with Mario and company in it and more wacky set pieces. My 2 complaints right now is the lack of voice for everyone (not even grunts or something) and the hidden blocks that feel completely random in their placement and are not fun to search. Do I need to get all of them for a 100% completion or can I just ignore them?

Fuck… I wasn’t aware that each level up has an ideal stat to choose for maximum stat boosts… I might have to start over now, ugh. Wish the game actually told you that, or that there was a way to raise all stats further even when you’re at the max level…

2: Is there a reason to hold onto the flower consumables?
Yes/No

They permanently raise your FP, so you should use them

But

They also fully restore your FP, so it's best to use them as a free full FP restore outside of battle.

Fuck… I wasn’t aware that each level up has an ideal stat to choose for maximum stat boosts… I might have to start over now, ugh. Wish the game actually told you that, or that there was a way to raise all stats further even when you’re at the max level…
This will only bother you if you think about it too much, I doubt it will ever hinder your gameplay, especially since they made it easier this time around.

Don't worry about it. If you're using the latest tier of equipment and guarding you'll rarely ever take more than single digit damage.

I'm late in the game now without wearing armour at all and while I'm dying and taking decent damage I'm just using the deluge of resources the game throws at me.

Quoted by: Tye
It feels so good playing a Mario RPG again on a Nintendo home console, last one was Paper Mario TTYD on GC, in 2004. Since then, Mario and Luigi was exclusive on handhelds, and Paper Mario series changed RPG roots of first 2 games. I'm looking forward for Paper Mario remake next year, and Mario RPG make me more excited for it.

This will only bother you if you think about it too much, I doubt it will ever hinder your gameplay, especially since they made it easier this time around.
Don't worry about it. If you're using the latest tier of equipment and guarding you'll rarely ever take more than single digit damage.

I'm late in the game now without wearing armour at all and while I'm dying and taking decent damage I'm just using the deluge of resources the game throws at me.
It’s gonna bother me regardless, and I’m only about an hour or so into the game anyway, so I guess I may as well just start over and get it right. Plus I hear there’s new post-game stuff that’s quite a bit more difficult.

Really, though, the biggest reason for me to restart and do it the ideal way is because that’ll take away the decision paralysis, since there will always be a “right” stat option to choose when a character levels up. I hate it when games make me make decisions about stats all the time…

Wow I almost game overed against a Special Wiggler

Special enemies can really throw you for a loop if you are unprepared

It's weird, in a lot of ways the remake is easier

You can deal more damage/take less damage
You can stock way more healing items
The game teaches you action command timing
Frog coins are easier to farm
You have the new super moves

However it's harder in a couple of odd ways

You're limited to only 6 pick me up
The random super enemies that show up can hit like a truck

And for anyone who played the og, the timing for some attacks is different or feels different due to the new art style

Just got my copy. I remember trying to play this around 2010 or so, I was about 11 or 12, finished all other Mario RPGs besides this. I think I got around 2 hours in and dropped it for whatever reason, so anything past that mark is all new to me. Time to give the remake a try!

And for anyone who played the og, the timing for some attacks is different or feels different due to the new art style
Yeah, my old strategy of "a couple each of healing items and FP restores, then fill the entire rest of the bag with pick me ups" is out the window. But you can have so many other items now that it's just different, really.

Frog coins seem much easier to get now, but is there anything really worthwhile to spend them on? I guess maybe the 50-coin half FP cost?

really? Is there any way to figure out which stat this is for each level?

Besides following a guide, you can also just look at all three and usually one of them is a much bigger increase than the others. Like, you'll only get one attack power, but 6 HP or something

Made sure to capture it for you 🤩

d1daqGF.gif
YES. GAMING IS REAL AGAIN

Unlike in the SNES version, the bonus stat increases are shown openly.

Yeah, I've played SMRPG more times than I can count, but I'm getting thrown a bit with some of these fights - in a good way. However I just unlocked triple attacks which I imagine will make things easier. Overall I'm absolutely loving this remake and it reinforces why this is not only my favorite Mario RPG but one of my favorite games of all time. Just got to Moleville.

Unlike in the SNES version, the bonus stat increases are shown openly.
Yeah, but I wouldn’t have known that it was actually set for specific stats at specific levels if I hadn’t looked it up. I just figured that different stats got higher boosts than others for some reason, not realizing that it wouldn’t be the same each time.

I'm at Land's End and the Paratroopas haven't shown up yet. I saw them in Monstro Town and AFAIK that's the only flag they need to go to Land's End. Am I forgetting something?

I'm at Land's End and the Paratroopas haven't shown up yet. I saw them in Monstro Town and AFAIK that's the only flag they need to go to Land's End. Am I forgetting something?
You have to talk to Monster Mama (or whatever her name is), the Toad in Monstro Town

You have to talk to Monster Mama (or whatever her name is), the Toad in Monstro Town
I got the cutscene where they come in and she asks for their help, then they fly off.

That should be it, right? I talked to her again and she just went "good luck!" to me.

I got the cutscene where they come in and she asks for their help, then they fly off.

That should be it, right? I talked to her again and she just went "good luck!" to me.
I'd have to check if it's any different in the remake, that's weird. I'm only on Moleville lol

Yeah I think this has to be a softlock or something because I got the scrapbook entry featuring the paratroopa squad so I definitely talked to them. I've reentered Land's End from the map and backtracked through Belome's Temple, and every time I go to the cliff in Land's End they just do not show up. It's been a few years since I played SMRPG but I swear I just needed to talk to Monstermama to get them to show up in Land's End.

I barely started and just reached the Mushroom Kingdom. Moving the first three hidden treasure chests around is weird, though I do appreciate the changes here considering two of them were notoriously annoying.

Is Geno supposed to be able to wear the work pants? You can't equip them via the equip menu, but if you equip them in store after buying he can wear them. They don't show up in his inventory then which is weird too.

Haven’t made too much progress since I keep getting pulled away, but I made it to the Forest Maze and had my first actual tough elite enemy with a Wiggler. He tore through Mario’s health and Mallow was out of commission for most of the fight as a Mushroom. Weird they don’t give much for extra for it, but I welcome the extra spice elite enemies bring given splash damage makes the game easier otherwise.

Edit: I don’t know if this is across the board in the Forest since I haven’t left the screen yet, but the Wiggler tree stump where you could farm frog coins is filled with elite enemies so if you blow the trick…well you still get them lol.

Last edited:
Haven’t made too much progress since I keep getting pulled away, but I made it to the Forest Maze and had my first actual tough elite enemy with a Wiggler. He tore through Mario’s health and Mallow was out of commission for most of the fight as a Mushroom. Weird they don’t give much for extra for it, but I welcome the extra spice elite enemies bring given splash damage makes the game easier otherwise.
Wait until you get the Special Artichoker lol

I’m really digging some of the QOL improvements here like item stacking, item storage, and being able to carry more than 999 coins. The inventory management in the original game was cool for balance purposes and the thought that went into it, but just being able to charge full steam ahead into the game is quite pleasant. Moleville through Yaridovich is my favorite stretch of the game and I’m about to take on Booster Tower which is probably tied with the Sunken Ship for my favorite dungeon.

@Mekanos I fought a special Artichoker and lived to tell the tale :) So many fireballs were thrown lol.

Good lord Bundt took me for a ride, I know it has the reputation of being a difficult boss but I don’t remember struggling that much against it. Still won but only because of the triple team attack

Not looking forward to the rematch for that lol

Got to Nimbus Land earlier and have had the music on a loop since. This game, if nothing else, is probably a lock for my favorite soundtrack of the year.

I honestly kinda like the changes to the difficulty. In the OG game, you would just have to guess the timing for a move and memorize it, but in the remake you actually get to be familiar with the timing before you having to memorize it. I also think the new harder enemies add some extra spice to what could’ve been a cake walk.

I’m really digging some of the QOL improvements here like item stacking, item storage, and being able to carry more than 999 coins. The inventory management in the original game was cool for balance purposes and the thought that went into it, but just being able to charge full steam ahead into the game is quite pleasant. Moleville through Yaridovich is my favorite stretch of the game and I’m about to take on Booster Tower which is probably tied with the Sunken Ship for my favorite dungeon.

@Mekanos I fought a special Artichoker and lived to tell the tale :) So many fireballs were thrown lol.
A special artichoker is the hardest thing I've fought in the game so far (up to the sunken ship), they're no joke! I'm just now getting to my favorite parts, though - for me it's probably the sunken ship up through the volcano. Really the whole game is a treat, and I'm surprised remembering just how quick and breezy it is. I think this playthrough is reaffirming my thoughts that this is a great game, especially for newer RPG gamers, but I think I do prefer most of the later Mario RPGs over it especially in terms of gameplay.

So I saw people saying one of things the remake added was the ability to swap party members in battle? When does that open up? I just got Bowser, normally I swap him for Mallow at this point but Mallow feels stuck in the party for getting all the thoughtpeaks in this version.

Edit: For anyone as blind as me, it's the + button once you have 4 party members. It can't be Mario's turn though.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom