• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Super Mario RPG |ST| Seven Stars, Loco Train Cars

I haven't had time to start the game yet, but given the concerns over the difficulty, is it recommended to avoid most touch encounters? Or is it one of those things where fighting bosses at lower levels isn't fun either because you barely learned any moves?

Have you actually seen the remake's fat Yoshi? As rotund as he is, he's very much more on model than the original.

That's the point. They'll make changes to obviously off-model elements, but they're not going to do something like erase Goombella from existence.
Remake Fat Yoshi looks the same, the original wasn't that off model. I guess remake Yoshi is more green? I don't think any design in the SMRPG has changed drastically from their originals, which is the difference. Past remakes outright changed creature designs if they were offspec (hair/costumes/differing body types), that's not the case with SMRPG at all.

Remake Fat Yoshi looks the same, the original wasn't that off model. I guess remake Yoshi is more green? I don't think any design in the SMRPG has changed drastically from their originals, which is the difference. Past remakes outright changed creature designs if they were offspec (hair/costumes/differing body types), that's not the case with SMRPG at all.
Look at them side by side.

The color in the remake is clearly the standard Yoshi green, and he looks more like an obese modern Yoshi than a closer approximation of a sphere.

They're literally not, how dare you be this wrong

I can't believe I have to quote the damned dictionary, but here we go.

Dictionary.com:

Rules : "Rules are statements that say what a person is and isn’t allowed to do."

Mandate: "to authorize or decree (a particular action)"

They're the same in every meaningful sense, and I'm not going to bother replying again about this god forsaken nonsense.

Finally, after all this time, we get an idea of what exactly was in mind when they had "Mario dressed up as a knight". Looking every bit like a Dragon Quest Hero!

Not going to lie: some times I wish I could see the timeline where the "fan vote" between the typical Mario vibe and something that resembled a typical Squaresoft RPG had gone the other way. If the Mario RPGs were going to end up as their own AU(s), any way...

Hit the credits! I knew I would enjoy it — SMRPG is an all-time fave! — but I was legitimately struck by how absorbed I was in this, almost like I was playing it for the first time.

Gonna take a little break and then see what that post-game stuff is about!

Kinda disappointed in the spike ball sound effect, the original is so iconic to me with that crunchy noise it makes on the action command.

Also, I read you can see Samus after you hit Monstro Town, but I'm on Bean Valley now and I still don't see her, anyone know what her flag is? Nevermind, got her! The log you get when you meet her is uh... interesting.
Hit the credits! I knew I would enjoy it — SMRPG is an all-time fave! — but I was legitimately struck by how absorbed I was in this, almost like I was playing it for the first time.

Gonna take a little break and then see what that post-game stuff is about!
That's how I've felt the whole time, little quibbles aside. I thought, okay this is one of my favorite games, I've played it a million times and my last replay was in 2017, I know what to expect... but I've been blown away by how much I've fallen in love with the game all over again and how emotional it makes me. It's like meeting an old friend again after years away. It's been over 25 years since I first played it and it still resonates hardcore.

I truly might have bumped it up my rankings, even...!

Last edited:
Kinda disappointed in the spike ball sound effect, the original is so iconic to me with that crunchy noise it makes on the action command.

Also, I read you can see Samus after you hit Monstro Town, but I'm on Bean Valley now and I still don't see her, anyone know what her flag is? Nevermind, got her! The log you get when you meet her is uh... interesting.

That's how I've felt the whole time, little quibbles aside. I thought, okay this is one of my favorite games, I've played it a million times and my last replay was in 2017, I know what to expect... but I've been blown away by how much I've fallen in love with the game all over again and how emotional it makes me. It's like meeting an old friend again after years away. It's been over 25 years since I first played it and it still resonates hardcore.

In the original Samus was only around for a very small window. Now she stays in bed permanently like Link.

I haven't had time to start the game yet, but given the concerns over the difficulty, is it recommended to avoid most touch encounters? Or is it one of those things where fighting bosses at lower levels isn't fun either because you barely learned any moves?
Might be a good idea to avoid touch encounters. I’ve been doing a ton of them and feel like i’m leveling up pretty fast (already at lvl 6), which is making the bosses extremely easy so far. Then again I just got to Rose Town so maybe I’m still in the beginning? Idk

Do you NEED the Super Suit to beat the postgame bosses? I dunno if I can do that 100 jump bs, really wish they changed it....

I picked up my playthrough today and finished Nimbus Land quickly (the castle is shorter than I remembered) and got the Lazy Shell. I’m off to the volcano now. I’m normally not a fan of volcano levels, but I’ve always liked this one. The two bosses in it are fantastic, with the Axem Rangers tied with Culex for my favorite in the game.

Wouldn't be an authentic SMRPG remake if the vine climbing didn't make me want to tear my hear out though

That Nimbus Land remix though... I'm in heaven

They toned down the punch on some of the sound effects, which is a bit disappointing. The spiked ball was one I noticed right away, and the big one for me is the electric wall flash (used to be called Static E), it had this super satisfying computer-y “skat-er PLOING” sound effect that was really loud in the original.

How are the post game bosses?
They've all got jacked up stats and new gimmicks. Some of them outright demand perfect guarding while a few others force you to keep up a certain in-battle pace to keep the boss from unleashing a party wipe attack. The final superboss in particular is a beast and outright requires all the new gimmicks the game throws in for your benefit just to survive.

They've all got jacked up stats and new gimmicks. Some of them outright demand perfect guarding while a few others force you to keep up a certain in-battle pace to keep he boss from unleashing a party wipe attack. The final superboss in particular is a beast and outright requires all the new gimmicks the game throws in for your benefit just to survive.

Good news, can’t wait to try them

They toned down the punch on some of the sound effects, which is a bit disappointing. The spiked ball was one I noticed right away, and the big one for me is the electric wall flash (used to be called Static E), it had this super satisfying computer-y “skat-er PLOING” sound effect that was really loud in the original.
Yeah, the animations and sounds on attacks generally feel less impactful. Some of it I get because of epilepsy concerns, but Static E and Water Blast really don't hit the same in the new version. That would be the primary reason I'd ever want to replay the original, I think.

one thing is for sure Shimomura clearly had a bigger budget and love for this soundtrack than paper jam and the 2 M&L Remakes

Finally, after all this time, we get an idea of what exactly was in mind when they had "Mario dressed up as a knight". Looking every bit like a Dragon Quest Hero!

Not going to lie: some times I wish I could see the timeline where the "fan vote" between the typical Mario vibe and something that resembled a typical Squaresoft RPG had gone the other way. If the Mario RPGs were going to end up as their own AU(s), any way...

That Peach concept art immediately makes me think of the following:
1) Already vindicated by Princess Peach Showtime, but she can certainly pull off the 'refined combatant' Lady of War.
2) For whatever reason I'm reminded of the FE Jugdrali Master Knight design - must be the pauldrons and chestplate.
3) Considering how some players use Peach more as a paladin (especially considering the Frying Pan), I wonder if the art concept precedes the mechanics / function design for Peach's role in the party?

Seeing all this concept / prerelease artwork is amazing and I hope there might be more that trickles into the public eye.
(btw who is jam_filter, who appears to be the concept artist mentioned in the tweet here?)

Still not delivered... might cancel and go digital.

george-seinfeld-upset.gif

So far the only complaint I have is that Mario no longer does the peace sign as his victory pose, and as a kid I used to do it in time with him on the beat and now that he doesn't do it I'm finding myself doing it alone completely by habit and it's a little embarrassing to be left hanging by a video game character

🥹🥹🥹🥹🥹 i want to print this post up and put it on my fridge

Cleared through the first two stars tonight. Getting used to the idea of using items pretty liberally which is not what I am used to doing lol.

So far I'm enjoying the game but the camera angle is messing with my timing a little more than I expecting. Not really stressed by it. I'd say right now the worst part of the game isn't any of the gameplay itself, but rather the text boxes lol.

I beat Culex and even with the new mechanics (splash damage) that was still a very rad fight. Axem Rangers were never too bad, but they just crumpled under the new mechanics which was a bummer. As I’m heading into the final dungeon (which I’ll finish a little later tonight) I think my opinion is definitely cemented that I strongly prefer the original version of Mario RPG for the core game, but this version still has its place too as the new mechanics prove to be an interesting remix.

I wasn’t originally planning to, but I think I’m diving straight into the post game tonight after I roll credits which I’m very excited to check out. I made sure to return to Bowser’s Keep to snag all of the weapons so my party is good to go there.

Loved TOTK and Wonder so much… but goddamnit I’m a sucker for Mario RPG games 😭

This might be my GOTY. Never thought I’d say that. I was not a fan of the art style on reveal, but damnit it just works! Everything about this game is gorgeous. The dialogue, the scenarios, the battle system, the story! It’s all so charming and whimsical.

I legit can’t stop playing. I haven’t felt this way about a Mario RPG since Bowsers Inside Story in 09, and that’s saying something because I played and beat TTYD for the first time last year😭

My main party was good to go since I passed the XP Booster around better, but if you want your full team at 30 quickly for the post game, the room before Smithy’s Factory has Yaridovichs fall out of the sky constantly. If your team is up to snuff, you can wipe him out in one turn for 60XP and 120XP with the XP Booster. Both numbers double if it’s an elite version.

Great game; great remake! The isometric platforming still feels unfortunately frustrating, and I am terrible at the mini games (especially Booster Hill), but it’s just a good time regardless. I put about 5 hours in today alone and I can’t wait to dive back in!

Got to Barrel Volcano! Some stray thoughts:

-Wow, Dodo's bestiary logs make him out to be a pretty tragic character. The first one says "He imprinted on Valentina when he was hatched and thought she was his mother. He was shocked to discover he was secretly prince of Nimbus Land. and the second one says "He resents Valentina, who's not his real parent, and took it out on some of her statues. But ultimately, he can't ignore his debt to her for raising him." Like damn how are you gonna make me feel sad for the goofy bird boss?

-Valentina definitely seems tougher here than in the original. I feel like status effects are more potent in this game. If it wasn't for the party swapping mechanic I'd have probably lost (though it didn't help that I forgot to put Bowser in the middle to fight Dodo). I'd still say Bundt is the hardest boss so far but Valentina was no cakewalk... pun not intended.

-The Barrel Volcano remix definitely doesn't disappoint. This is one of the songs I was looking forward to the most. Will probably stop for the night but I can't wait to meet the Axem Rangers again.
Loved TOTK and Wonder so much… but goddamnit I’m a sucker for Mario RPG games 😭

This might be my GOTY. Never thought I’d say that. I was not a fan of the art style on reveal, but damnit it just works! Everything about this game is gorgeous. The dialogue, the scenarios, the battle system, the story! It’s all so charming and whimsical.

I legit can’t stop playing. I haven’t felt this way about a Mario RPG since Bowsers Inside Story in 09, and that’s saying something because I played and beat TTYD for the first time last year😭
Same. I didn't expect that either, but honestly this remake might bump SMRPG from being like... my top 20 to my top 5. And I'd put TOTK in my top 10... like I said, when I bought this, I thought "okay, this is gonna be mostly familiar, so it won't necessarily be as enjoyable as TOTK or Wonder," but damn if it doesn't keep surprising me. I am so glad this remake exists, it feels like an impossible game. Overall it's been an incredible year for Switch, despite it being so late in its life.

Not sure I ever had a party of all level 30’s when I fought Smithy before. I just obliterated him lol. What an awesome adventure as always! Definitely pros and cons with this remake, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it. Excited to see what the new post game is all about.

Started in on post-game stuff this morning! The Belome rematch was a little tricky but I managed. Booster…that’s a different story 😭

I finished the post game, it was awesome! I loved the small extra bits of new dialogue and the seven post game super bosses really explored the mechanics in a way the main game never did and obviously took great advantage of the new ones with perfect blocking and subbing out members and knocked out people especially. Two of them even introduced new mechanics with the Bomb-omb and cake battles! The final one which took me 32 turns even actually had me take advantage of the new super moves I neglected all game including the full team revive. I’ve always dreamed of having a new adventure with Mario RPG and while this obviously wasn’t that, I really walked away pleased here. This is definitely one of my favorite games of the year.

Haha just had a YouTube video promoted, "what's up with that metacritic score?"

And I clicked it

"Is the game really just average?"

... Yeah..a) clickbait, b) are average people so delusional that 83 is "average"? For a fine but not really ambitious remake of a game that was designed as an entry point for the genre something in the 80ties seems fine, even good?

Would probably fit better in the review thread now that I think of it... 🤔

And I clicked it

... Yeah..a) clickbait, b) are average people so delusional that 83 is "average"? For a fine but not really ambitious remake of a game that was designed as an entry point for the genre something in the 80ties seems fine, even good?

There was bound to be at least one reactionary YouTuber salty that the Metacritic average wasn't a 95+.

83 is a great score unless you're one of those weirdos that views anything below 90 a failure, or a publisher that only grants developers bonuses for Metacritic averages of no lower than 85.

And I clicked it

I saw one with "It seems Nintendo lost their magic" and had a screenshot of the cover of mario rpg and the metacritics score lol

Played quite a bit this past few days and omg this game is so charming and fun.
It really does pick up quite a bit after the first few areas and there’re so many cute moments, imaginative zones and just an amazing sense of fun and goofy adventures. I’m liking it quite a lot, it’s more on the Mario & Luigi style of adventure which I prefer to the Paper Mario style. The entire Booster/4th star segment was magnificent.
The soundtrack is also super good, I sometimes forget that this was a snes game and this soundtrack was originally on a 16 bit console, pretty much the same way I felt with the Live a live remake, yoko shimomura was and is truly a legend (when she doesn’t overuse Violins).
I’m glad to have bought this remake and to finally play this.

Is it just me or are statuses more effective this time around? Bowser's poison is nice against bosses that are weak to it. Czar Dragon was a bit of a tough fight but Zombone went down easy because I could Mute it.

Just beat the Axem Rangers and it's as great of a boss as I remember. They also fixed Blade's quote to properly reference Sentai. I remember them being a bit harder in the SNES version but having automatic party switch certainly helps - trying to do this fight without Peach would be a lot more difficult.

Loved Barrel Volcano in this version overall, the way the lava and lighting are used is really cool. Onward to the endgame now.

I did the 2nd star and yeah this game is pretty fun. It feels like a final fantasy game with Mario and company in it and more wacky set pieces. My 2 complaints right now is the lack of voice for everyone (not even grunts or something) and the hidden blocks that feel completely random in their placement and are not fun to search. Do I need to get all of them for a 100% completion or can I just ignore them?
Yes but also - If it makes you feel any better you eventually get an item that helps with exactly where the hidden block is (although you still have to find the area it’s in yourself)

Finally got around to starting this today, and it's very charming! I already love the characters and the soundtrack especially.

I have done just about all the available battles, and none of the big fights through the first star felt very threatening. I always try to avoid being underleveled, but I'm not sure that's going to be an issue here. I will find out soon enough as I keep playing.

Just completed all the postgame content. I think this is an incredible remake of an already very good game - though my general feelings haven't changed that it's probably the 4th or 5th best Mario RPG, depending on my mood. Still a very respectable placement, but if you ask me, I think so many of the later Mario RPGs take what waa established here and roll with it in much more interesting ways.

Still, it deserves so much recognition for giving birth to this series of games in the first place, and I really appreciate its totally unique texture and atmosphere among the Mario universe. I would not hate a future where we get a proper sequel to this game (hopefully alongside either RPG Paper Mario or Mario & Luigi coming back somehow). I think a sequel has so much potential.

Kept trying to get the Geno Whirl on Exor and couldn't hack it. Poisoning his body parts with Bowser was nice though. Towards the end I was a little unsure I'd win, if I went back to replay the original I'd be too used to switching party members as a crutch.

Looks like "Gate" is Weapon World now. Fantastic remix here, per usual.

Zombone's quote in the original Japanese version and the new English translation both reference a line from Char Aznable in Zeta Gundam. Meanwhile...

F_bruphbIAAS_BH.png

Another Char reference in the flavor text here. The new writers for the remake definitely understood the assignment.

I've finally gotten a chance to put some time into this one. I'm two Stars in, finally getting a feel for the battles and all of the other mechanics.

For me, Super Mario RPG was always the game for the generation of Mario fans that came before me. I remember going on Mario fan sites in the late 90s and early 2000s and seeing the sheer reverence folks had for this strange looking adventure with all these unique characters and stuff. This was a formative title, one that expanded on what Mario could be, and that hit a lot of people. But I was born...probably five years too late for that, as all of those feelings instead went towards the first two Paper Mario games and Mario & Luigi. Sure, in reality they were following in the footsteps of Super Mario RPG - the former starting off as a sequel and the latter having many of the same developers - but they were my formative experiences, still some of my favorite games to this day, even.

I would eventually give Super Mario RPG a shot as a teen on the Virtual Console. I didn't really stick with it, unfortunately. I got bored and dropped it around four Stars in. Not sure why - perhaps I wasn't fully vibing with the battle system at the time, or maybe the graphics weren't doing it for me, or in a world where the other Mario RPGs forged new mechanical identities the original felt like this weird middle ground between Final Fantasy and Mario. So I didn't return to it beyond an hour or so on my SNES Classic with the same result.

Fast forward to the remake, and although it really took until after the first star, I get it more. This is an extremely well paced, funny, and charming adventure that uses simple mechanics to introduce folks to RPGs while remaining engaging enough for veterans. So much of the dialogue or the story scenes or the animations got me to smile if not laugh outright - you can definitely see where the other games get their DNA, especially after the more storybook and whimsical PM64. Everything is so snappy. Battles and action commands are snappy, navigation is snappy, story sequences nail the jokes and occasionally hit an emotional cord but it always keeps moving in a very satisfying way. And the music!! I already heard much of the originals music, but Yoko Shimomura killed it with these rearranged tracks. Forest Maze is a particular standout for feeling even more like a Shimomora song with its excellent use of violin, but every remix has hit the perfect notes.

I don't know if this game will hit as hard for me with the sheer nostalgia of its follow ups, but I'm seeing what makes this one so special, and I'm eager to see more.

Mario getting pissed off at Gaz for preferring Geno as a toy after said toy injured him is hilarious. Mario in general is very funny in this game, a more scrappy and rambunctious character than we usually get, even in the Mario & Luigi games. My partner mentioned how it'd be hard to hear Martinet's performance out of this version of Mario, and I get it. But it's fun for this game, they pack a lot of character into someone who primarily speaks through animations and pantomime.

God I love the new takes on the music tracks at Booster Tower and the surrounding areas. Star Hill also looks so gorgeous.

I could never beat Culex as a kid so beating him in the remake was pretty satisfying even if the new mechanics obviously made it easier (though I also made it harder on myself getting all of Mallow’s scans and killing each Crystal). Turns out it’s just a war of attrition to drain their FP.

Apparently 3D Culex is incredibly hard so I’ll have to see how that goes lol

Back
Top Bottom