• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Super Mario RPG |ST| Seven Stars, Loco Train Cars

just beaten this early this morning 2 am est best frigging remake i ever played of my 1st jrpg/rpg from my youth 10/10

So, I am seeing a lot of comments about the game being breezy, accessible, easy, etc. Is that accurate? I haven't played the original - before my time. I always wanted to but SNES games always feel too difficult for me, lol.
It's a very easy game even on SNES. SMRPG by design is a gateway RPG.

Loved the post game content. I liked new mechanics and QoL stuff, even if that make game more easier. I'm replaying Paper Mario 1 now, and not sure if prefer PM battles over SMRPG remake. The battles in PM are more slow, in SMRPG feels more dynamic and faster, also you have 2 chars in PM vs 3 chars in SMRPG and item inventory is even more limited in PM. The gameplay outside of battles in PM seems better than SMRPG, although I miss quick travel.

So, I am seeing a lot of comments about the game being breezy, accessible, easy, etc. Is that accurate? I haven't played the original - before my time. I always wanted to but SNES games always feel too difficult for me, lol.
It is very easy even on the SNES. The reason you'll find some people talk about how hard it was back in the day is if it was literally their first RPG they picked up when they were like 7 years old and didn't know how turn-based combat worked, what XP was, or how leveling up worked. And because it was a Mario game, this happened to a lot of people! Including me.

Finally had time to play and got rocked by one of those special enemy Wigglers in the Forest Maze, lol. Really liking the remake so far! The cutscene with Geno awakening was really nice.

It is very easy even on the SNES. The reason you'll find some people talk about how hard it was back in the day is if it was literally their first RPG they picked up when they were like 7 years old and didn't know how turn-based combat worked, what XP was, or how leveling up worked. And because it was a Mario game, this happened to a lot of people! Including me.
Lol, that makes sense. Thanks. Seems like a good, cozy winter game.

so i cannot remember fully which one i played first, but between this and Pokemon Red, were my first two RPGs. i hadn't played through this game fully maybe ever? but haven't given it another shot in years, maybe since the SNES classic came out. playing this is like snuggling into a warm blanket. it's a very comfortable experience to play. i'm really loving the hell out of it. and i'm further through it now than i ever have been in only a day or two. it's definitely easy but that is honestly preferable at this point. visually it's stunning. ArtePiazza did really nice work. they seem to be independently owned so i wonder if Nintendo already has them on another remake project at this point. i can't wait to see what they do next.

coming up on the end of this game now, one big take-away I have is that I wish I just played the original instead of the remake. the shiny new graphics are neat at first, but they eventually lose their luster and end up feeling pretty generic compared to the weird isometric style of the first release. that crying bowser model just doesn't compare

pretty fun game though. love the new musical arrangements

I’m probably a little insane for wanting to get this out of the way before even Kero Sewers, but after a solid grind I got my 100 Super Jumps. And I dropped two 99s on the way, whew 😰

Still going to press ahead with seeing what the highest chain count is (have it at a decent-ish 250 or so).

I’m probably a little insane for wanting to get this out of the way before even Kero Sewers, but after a solid grind I got my 100 Super Jumps. And I dropped two 99s on the way, whew 😰

Still going to press ahead with seeing what the highest chain count is (have it at a decent-ish 250 or so).
good lord

I never got more than around 15 super jumps, even after looking up tutorials and such, and my highest chain I think was somewhere in the 20s 💀

My maximum Super Jump score is 80 and I don't know if I can go any higher. I'm getting so close...I want that Super Suit...but I don't know if I have the willpower to go on...

How people do the super jumps is beyond me. I tried doing this trick I saw about shadows but that didn’t really work
The simplest way I could put it is pressing the button after you think you should.

It's like, you don't press it once Mario reaches the tip of the enemy (which IIRC was the timing on SNES) but when Mario's foot touches the model's head.

Seconding Weiss with regards to the timing of Super Jump in the remake - before watching the shadow tutorial and practising, I was more often than not being too pre-emptive in the button press and usually dropped my jump count at around 15 (which I've heard is one of the main timing changes). You want to aim at the point where Mario's shadow starts overlapping the enemy's in earnest, not when they just start to touch.

My personal experience was that it was closer to 5, 20, and 50 jumps (and 100, go figure) where the timing shifted slightly; and more generally, that I tended to either slightly pre-empt (rushing a bit waiting to get to higher counts) or somehow miss the button press altogether (I blame this more often than not on button inputs getting eaten). Once you're in the zen state you'll probably fly through much of the back 50 jumps.

Other advice I've seen floated around is targeting an enemy resistant to Jump (so their damage animation doesn't play; I picked a basic Spikey in Mushroom Way for this), and apparently also a smaller enemy (so the spot for shadow overlap is very clearly seen?); and to mute the game so you can limit your focus to the auditory clicks of your buttons and the screen.

My maximum Super Jump score is 80 and I don't know if I can go any higher. I'm getting so close...I want that Super Suit...but I don't know if I have the willpower to go on...
My personal encouragement was knowing that once I cleared 50, and then got to the point where I jumped from 60ish suddenly up to 90-odd, that I could definitely get to 100, it just needed me at my calmest and not making silly execution errors early on (and certainly I tended to fumble pre 50 rather than post for the majority of my attempts prior to hitting the 100).
Heck, even the times I fumbled in the 90s I was like 'unfortunate, but I'm clearly on the right track if I can get this high. Let's try again!'. Be the Mario who encourages the jump enthusiastic Toad to jump like never before!

~~~

Chain wise I confess to just block chaining in the process of early game light grinding (I'll probably keep focusing on this, but back off on killing the enemies outright haha).

My personal encouragement was knowing that once I cleared 50, and then got to the point where I jumped from 60ish suddenly up to 90-odd, that I could definitely get to 100, it just needed me at my calmest and not making silly execution errors early on (and certainly I tended to fumble pre 50 rather than post for the majority of my attempts prior to hitting the 100).
Heck, even the times I fumbled in the 90s I was like 'unfortunate, but I'm clearly on the right track if I can get this high. Let's try again!'. Be the Mario who encourages the jump enthusiastic Toad to jump like never before!
2023112823295000-DD36-EAD444102-ED69-B0-AF6882696-E2-E7.jpg

That was some good advice. From this little jumping Toad, thank you "Mario"!

Getting away from the super jump stuff for a bit, Jiro Mifune (who worked on the SNES/SFC game in a visual effects / narrative assistance role) just uploaded a series of tweets for the Musketeers pitch mentioned in his tweets from last week. Please excuse my poor DeepL/Google Translate use plus light interpretation on the captions as relevant:
Mario, Captain of the Mushroom Kingdom Royal Guard. A swordsman with countless battle experience.
Luigi, Vice-Captain of the Mushroom Kingdom Royal Guard. Mario's younger brother.
Wario, member of the Mushroom Kingdom Royal Guard. Formerly a bandit leader prior to joining the Royal Guard.

Mario: Captain of the Mushroom Kingdom Royal Guard. A swordsman with countless battle experience.
Luigi: Vice-Captain of the Mushroom Kingdom Royal Guard. Mario's younger brother.
Wario: Member of the Mushroom Kingdom Royal Guard. Formerly a bandit leader prior to joining the Royal Guard.

'Kinopi', novice member of the Mushroom Kingdom Royal Guard. An older brother figure to the kidnapped Toads.
Peach, Queen of the Mushroom Kingdom. This time she is taken prisoner by the Slug Kingdom.
Bowser, King of the Koopa Kingdom, and its strongest knight. Finds himself a prisoner of the Slug Kingdom. Joins Mario and his allies in the second half.

'Kinopi': Novice member of the Mushroom Kingdom Royal Guard. An older brother figure to the kidnapped Toads.
Peach: Queen of the Mushroom Kingdom. This time she is taken prisoner by the Slug Kingdom.
Bowser: King of the Koopa Kingdom, and its strongest knight. Finds himself a prisoner of the Slug Kingdom. Joins Mario and his allies in the second half.

Just got the game today. I played this a few times but never got far due to one or two things just stopping me.

I remember the Yoshi minigame being really tough.

Finished base game, very enjoyable and see why people like Geno so much.

Honestly, I enjoyed playing this more than Mario Wonder last month which is not how I expected this to turn out xD

Hey, hey! :) Guess who finally has the game!

Already at Booster's Tower! Have the say, the game is shorter than I remember it to be. A lot of the sections are going by veery fast

Hey, hey! :) Guess who finally has the game!

Already at Booster's Tower! Have the say, the game is shorter than I remember it to be. A lot of the sections are going by veery fast

The first third/half is lightning quick but it does start to become more reasonably paced with the star collecting around Booster's Tower

That 100 super jump challenge took me quite a while to complete, I remember it being much easier when I played the SNES version lol.

Beat the whole game, post-game bosses included, on Friday. Speaking of post-game the only boss to give me trouble was Leveled-Up Punchinello, I steamrolled through all the rest.

That 100 super jump challenge took me quite a while to complete, I remember it being much easier when I played the SNES version lol.

Beat the whole game, post-game bosses included, on Friday. Speaking of post-game the only boss to give me trouble was Leveled-Up Punchinello, I steamrolled through all the rest.
I still haven't beaten that one lol, need to get back to the rematches

The first third/half is lightning quick but it does start to become more reasonably paced with the star collecting around Booster's Tower
Thanks for the heads-up! I also feel like the mine chapter really went quick by. It had no build-up, unlike the other previous Stars.

How people do the super jumps is beyond me. I tried doing this trick I saw about shadows but that didn’t really work
Tried for like an hour (Among through my actual playthrough) and could only hit 19. I have no clue how any human can hit 100, or even 50 tbh.

Shame too cause I can't continue with the post game bosses without the attack scarf because the train just kills my whole 3 person team turn 1 for some reason.

Tried for like an hour (Among through my actual playthrough) and could only hit 19. I have no clue how any human can hit 100, or even 50 tbh.

Shame too cause I can't continue with the post game bosses without the attack scarf because the train just kills my whole 3 person team turn 1 for some reason.
The train?
It's supposed to party wipe, that's part of the trick or the battle. 😅 All you gotta do is attack Booster when he starts working on it and it'll distract him and he'll stop. Do AOE specials to attack his lackeys and immediately attack him when it says he's working. I got through the whole battle that way without him deploying the train once.

I didn't like Paper Mario Origami King.

But I loved Super Mario RPG ! :) From what I understand, Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door is the ++ version of Paper Mario 64 which should be Super Mario RPG 2.

I see they've kept some basics.... So, I wonder if I'll enjoy Paper Mario : The Thousand Year Door ?

The train can be interrupted by attacking Booster. As long as one of your characters is fast enough to always do that, you can avoid it entirely.

finished SMRPG yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it! my biggest gripe with the game is that it really could've/should've just gone bigger and lasted for longer. i feel like there are so many cool ideas here that could be expanded upon to amazing extents in a sequel.

also, i find it odd after you complete the game, smithy is never actually beaten...? not sure i like that lol.

edit: i also quite liked the battle system. it's certainly simple, but i like the action commands and how snappy and easy it is to get into it. sometimes it did feel like trying to chain actions didn't happen equally on all moves, though - like with star rain i pretty easily got to perfect but ultra jump i'm lucky to get ... 2!

* Way to chain, my bad hahaha

And I meant more like the Action Command. Like Geno: he has a weapon where it’s best to push A right after the pellets come out of his elbows
ohhh yes, it certainly makes it less of just a dumb decision and makes you think/learn something new with every new move. i think i’m just bad at certain ones lol.

The more I play this game the more clear it becomes just how big a roll music plays in the legacy.

Every bloody track is a banger both in their original forms and the new mixes. And this stuff really sticks in your mind heightening even the most mundane minigame or dungeon.

Yoko is a genius. I loved her work in Kingdom Hearts as a child and I am floored at how consistent her quality has been.

Really hope my wife likes this game, she loves Thousand Year Door and PM 64, its one of her Christmas presents this year.

I finally made it to Monstro Town, so I get to claim my prizes for all that jumping. Mario has a soft scarf and a cozy sweater that makes him an absolute beast on the battlefield. The fights with Jinx? Not a problem when you are doing 300 damage in a single hit without any Geno Boosts. And speaking of bonus bosses...

2023120801343000-DD36-EAD444102-ED69-B0-AF6882696-E2-E7.jpg

Everyone was Level 16. That's the power of the Attack Scarf, Super Suit, and lots of FP. To Culex's credit, I did have to play the fight once to figure out the weaknesses of the Crystals, which lead to my only Game Over all game.

Seeing some of this later game level design actually feel like Final Fantasy dungeons is so interesting to see from a design perspective, by the way! Big shout out to Land's End and Johnny's ship in that regard.

Just 100%'d it including the post-game content and thought it was great! Still feel the game's a bit on the easy side (if not somewhat easier here due to the QOL additions) but it's a fun breezy time with a fantastic OST.

Definitely put me in the mood to replay Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi in the leadup to the TTYD remake next year, just to get an even spread of Mario RPG's for comparison reasons.

Just 100%'d it including the post-game content and thought it was great! Still feel the game's a bit on the easy side (if not somewhat easier here due to the QOL additions) but it's a fun breezy time with a fantastic OST.

Definitely put me in the mood to replay Paper Mario/Mario & Luigi in the leadup to the TTYD remake next year, just to get an even spread of Mario RPG's for comparison reasons.

I'm was replaying Paper Mario too, and while I liked some of battle aspects of SMRPG more, I liked PM more in the end. Lookin forward for TTYD remake next year.

Back
Top Bottom