• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Super Mario Bros. Wonder - SPOILER Thread (Enter at your own risk)

I get disliking certain Soundtracks and stuff but to make that out on a single Person is such a weird take. Most of the games she worked on are considered to have a quality soundtrack and she worked there seemingly on wildly different tracks with different genres. Sorry but I think your expectations are too high.
God damn, I did not do that. At no point did I specifically attribute the success or failure of the soundtracks I mentioned solely to her, if anything I did the exact opposite and was downplaying her importance in them with the perspective that historically she has only been as good as the overall sound direction. I talked about her the most because of the three Wonder composers she is the one whose work I am most familiar with, and that she was specifically listed first in the credits and is the most senior implies that she was the lead this time.

This is the second time this thread I'm getting a response mad at stuff I never said, is the reading comprehension on this site just trash or am I genuinely incomprehensible to everyone?

God damn, I did not do that. At no point did I specifically attribute the success or failure of the soundtracks I mentioned solely to her, if anything I did the exact opposite and was downplaying her importance in them with the perspective that historically she has only been as good as the overall sound direction. I talked about her the most because of the three Wonder composers she is the one whose work I am most familiar with, and that she was specifically listed first in the credits and is the most senior implies that she was the lead this time.

This is the second time this thread I'm getting a response mad at stuff I never said, is the reading comprehension on this site just trash or am I genuinely incomprehensible to everyone?
Your comment just sounded a little bit petty to me that‘s all.

I said what I said. Odyssey's soundtrack is consistently bad to mediocre and forgettable. You've got Steam Gardens and a few other decent themes from Kondo like Forgotten Isle, that's it. I don't think Naoto Kubo has it, at all, and he clearly set the tone for everyone else here.
I liked Odyssey's music.

That is, outside of the game's biggest offense with the weird Kidz Bop music track playing at the end.

I haven't followed the leaks closely but I assume the only power-ups available (not associated with Wonder effects) are Fire, Drill, Elephant and Bubble?

Just want to take this spot to mention that Fuji is a legend. Skyward Sword, Mario Kart 8, Squid Sisters...! I hope that Wonder allows her to get creative and doesn't force her to stay too close to the overly clean sound we've heard in official material - her Skyward Sword tracks for instance were also mostly MIDI but there was a character to them.

Also Odyssey's OST is cool. It's just hard to compete with the incredible Mario Galaxy.

Wondering what Yokota has been up to these past years...

I personally really like the castle theme.

I mean, it's a castle theme for sure. But there is zero epic melody in it. Unlike all other mario 2D games.
There is no moment in the melody that you get an adrenaline feeling. It's not bad, but it's more in the direction of what super mario bros 3 is. But even those were better then this one.

It's more like Shrek without the irony

That's what it's missing. The irony.
The very last thing we need in Mario games is irony.

Anyway the cave music from World 5 is a banger. World 5 in general is a huge highlight: great aesthetic, great theme, cool wonder effects, and those ruins levels are top notch.

I said what I said. Odyssey's soundtrack is consistently bad to mediocre and forgettable. You've got Steam Gardens and a few other decent themes from Kondo like Forgotten Isle, that's it. I don't think Naoto Kubo has it, at all, and he clearly set the tone for everyone else here.
I have a hard time seeing what other people see in odysseys sound track. For me it’s not nearly as memorable as galaxy 1 and 2, or 3d world. There is some good music to be found, like shiveria, the steam gardens, new donk city, and of course the actual sang stuff like jump up super star and break free. But over all, I don’t remember or want to listen to its sound track the way I regularly listen to the music from the galaxy games.

Woah that airship theme is really fucking good. There was a theme in pre-release footage that sounded like a more traditional airship theme, but it sounded absolutely awful to be honest - probably one of the only pieces of Mario music I could consider bad. Wonder if that was a placeholder or is that used elsewhere in-game (Badge Challenge?)

It seems a lot of the videos have been blocked. Anyone care to give an overview of the spoilers? I have no care in the matter, give me all. Are there more powerups than what we initially thought?

Where do you rank it amongst the other 2D Mario games? What score would you give it/ think it's going to get on metacritic?
Dunno if it's recency bias, but for me it's the best 2D Mario game. Never have I felt so excited to see what level was gonna have, be it new enemies or the wonder effect. I'd personally give it a 9/10. I think it'll get high 80s/low 90s on metacritic

Top lips?

mmm-eyebrow-raise.gif

Dunno if it's recency bias, but for me it's the best 2D Mario game. Never have I felt so excited to see what level was gonna have, be it new enemies or the wonder effect. I'd personally give it a 9/10. I think it'll get high 80s/low 90s on metacritic
Thats so awesome to hear. I cannot wait to run through this, spiderman has some stiff competition for my free time this weekend

I have a hard time seeing what other people see in odysseys sound track. For me it’s not nearly as memorable as galaxy 1 and 2, or 3d world. There is some good music to be found, like shiveria, the steam gardens, new donk city, and of course the actual sang stuff like jump up super star and break free. But over all, I don’t remember or want to listen to its sound track the way I regularly listen to the music from the galaxy games.
To me the Galaxy games and 3D world just sound like video game music for better or worse

The Odyssey soundtrack has parts that could be from a movie, like the Bonneton theme that sounds like Danny Elfman did it

There isn’t anything else to get so I guess I will be getting Thai. The wife likes what see has seen of the game. I want to get borderlands 3 but I haven’t finished the first two games. Haven’t been playing any games lately at all.

Back
Top Bottom