• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Super Mario Bros. Wonder - SPOILER Thread (Enter at your own risk)

We were long overdue for a floating head and hands boss from Nintendo lol. Im not looking at the boss though

any word on the level count?

130 (including badge challenges)

I'm hearing 153 elsewhere.

that's as big as Mario U + Luigi U lol

According to that list it's 77 regular courses. If you include the badge challenges, search levels, and races it's 104. The other levels on the list seem to be akin to toad houses and hammer bros arenas.

For context, NSMBU had 82 regular courses + 80 Challenge Mode challenges (some are remixed levels and some are original levels) and 8 multiplayer-exclusive courses. Interestingly, Wonder's course list has 5 courses that were removed from the game, so it seems like they were targeting 82 as well but 5 levels didn't make the cut.

He doesn’t seem related to those.

But does he do something by that point?

They're both caterpillars with flowers on their heads, 4 hands, 2 legs, big nose.
SMBW_Prince_Florian_Artwork.png
Screenshot_2023-10-14_at_16-46-23_Wiggler_Wednesday_is_Real__Wave_5_Mario_Kart_8_Deluxe_Booster_Pass_Wave_4_Review.png

Also, Wiggler's Japanese name is Hana-chan (Flower-chan).

Last edited:
Interesting. I can't find anything on Chisaki Shimazu so she(?) must be another new hire like we saw with TotK. Sayako Doi I haven't heard much of, and unfortunately I can't say I'm expecting too much from Shiho Fujii in this context. She was great on Skyward Sword and Mario Kart 8, but she was also one of the main composers on NSMBWii, and she wasn't saving Odyssey either (though to be fair, even Koji Kondo wasn't that great on Odyssey...)

I'm not super confident in her as an apparent lead, because I feel like she's generally only as good as whoever the lead is. That airship theme seems about what I'd expect, really. Not on the same level as something like 3D World, but still a marked improvement from the dullness of NSMBWii now that we don't have some of Kenta Nagata's worst material setting the standard. Maybe this'll compete for the best 2D Mario soundtrack? I can't help thinking it's kind of disappointing compared to what it could have been, but most of what we've heard is far from bad either.

By the way, it's about time Mario had a factory level. Aside from Chompworks, sort of, I think this may be the first time the series has actually touched this trope in a platformer.

For someone who seems to have very picky and specific opinions about the music, it's weird that you're not looking to experience it during the gameplay and instead judge it without context

For someone who seems to have very picky and specific opinions about the music, it's weird that you're not looking to experience it during the gameplay and instead judge it without context
I'm... not? I specifically avoided making a definitive statement about the soundtrack's quality because I haven't heard the whole thing yet? I only have what was posted here and in prerelease footage to go off of.

Not that I think hearing it in-game actually matters all that much; if anything lately I end up appreciating a soundtrack more when I can listen to it outside of the game and focus on it fully. As music, at least.

Interesting. I can't find anything on Chisaki Shimazu so she(?) must be another new hire like we saw with TotK. Sayako Doi I haven't heard much of, and unfortunately I can't say I'm expecting too much from Shiho Fujii in this context. She was great on Skyward Sword and Mario Kart 8, but she was also one of the main composers on NSMBWii, and she wasn't saving Odyssey either (though to be fair, even Koji Kondo wasn't that great on Odyssey...)

I'm not super confident in her as an apparent lead, because I feel like she's generally only as good as whoever the lead is. That airship theme seems about what I'd expect, really. Not on the same level as something like 3D World, but still a marked improvement from the dullness of NSMBWii now that we don't have some of Kenta Nagata's worst material setting the standard. Maybe this'll compete for the best 2D Mario soundtrack? I can't help thinking it's kind of disappointing compared to what it could have been, but most of what we've heard is far from bad either.

By the way, it's about time Mario had a factory level. Aside from Chompworks, sort of, I think this may be the first time the series has actually touched this trope in a platformer.

Tbh i think it’s best to write off oddyssey as a werf exception, apart from 7 standout songs the ost feels pretty rushed and meh even though most of its composers are great.

I get disliking certain Soundtracks and stuff but to make that out on a single Person is such a weird take. Most of the games she worked on are considered to have a quality soundtrack and she worked there seemingly on wildly different tracks with different genres. Sorry but I think your expectations are too high.

The Galaxy games have some of the greatest video game soundtracks of all time, while 3D World and 64 are both really good in their own right. I can understand some folks thinking Odyssey’s OST isn’t quite as good as those 3, but that doesn’t mean it’s “bad” or “mid” - it’s still excellent in the grand scheme of things imo.

Just listented to most of the OST.

Lots and lots of very cute melodies in there, good boss themes, nice variety and off-the-wall music with the different Wonder effects and the 2 remixes of the main theme are also worthwhile. Just wish it was live orchestrated, Wonder why it isn't.

IMO, soundtracks for Mario games go:
1.) Galaxy
2.) Galaxy 2
3.) 3D world
4.) Odyssey
5.) 64/ 64 DS
6.) 3D Land

(I would rank bowsers fury right with 3D world)

7.) Mario shitstain

Come si accede al livello segreto dal mondo 1-2? Ho visto un tubo rosso dopo che si prende il fiore ma non riesco ad entrarci in nessun modo,è li?

Do we have any sense of how many secrets are in this game & how much of a focus secrets are? Compared to other Mario 2D titles?

Hard disagree

3D world was great but the music was awful
Why am I reading the worst takes about soundtracks I've ever read in this SMBW Spoilers thread?

In any case, I expect a solid OST but nothing that reaches the quality of Galaxy or 3D World.

Last edited:
Any idea if this is longer or shorter than the usual 2D Mario games? How is the post-game without detailed spoilers (be vague) if that's possible.

Any idea if this is longer or shorter than the usual 2D Mario games? How is the post-game without detailed spoilers (be vague) if that's possible.

Longer in terms of sheer amount of content. There’s no postgame, they opted on sprinkling the challenge levels aka the world that would usually be reserved for the postgame throughout the main journey

Longer in terms of sheer amount of content. There’s no postgame, they opted on sprinkling the challenge levels aka the world that would usually be reserved for the postgame throughout the main journey

Thank you. So can you just play it normally without doing the challenge levels during your main playthrough, then come back later to do them?

Thank you. So can you just play it normally without doing the challenge levels during your main playthrough, then come back later to do them?

Yep. However in order to find them naturally throughout your main play through you really have to lookout for secret exits. They’re all locked behind them

I’m keen to see if they have any DLC for this planned, like the Luigi U expansion or something along those lines.

when Odyssey came out it was lauded for it's music. I feel like this "Odyssey has bad music" thing is recent. Or maybe an attempt to lump in with BOTW/TOTK (Which do NOT have bad music either)

So, 1 special level per world?That's the "postgame" content?
methinks it'll be like crash bandicoot games (particularly crash 1 and 2), where the post-game content... is technically none, but in all likelihood you're only going to do the main content first instead of doing both the main and side content in a single scoop

when Odyssey came out it was lauded for it's music. I feel like this "Odyssey has bad music" thing is recent. Or maybe an attempt to lump in with BOTW/TOTK (Which do NOT have bad music either)
They say there are no wrong opinions……But anyone saying Odyssey has bad music has a wrong opinion

The forest level alone invalidates any argument

1 special, 5 star difficulty level per world totaling six, then two more. The special world has 8 levels
Well, not too good, not too bad. Pretty standard. Although I gotta admit that I was hoping for something as meaty as the 4 extra worlds from 3D World.

They say there are no wrong opinions……But anyone saying Odyssey has bad music has a wrong opinion

The forest level alone invalidates any argument
It's not Galaxy level of good, but c'mon: Jump up, Super Star!, Fossil Falls, Tostarena Ruins, Steam Gardens, New Donk City, Shiveria Town, Bowser's Castle 1 and 2, Honeylune Ridge Caves and Escape...all from very good themes to bangers.

1 special, 5 star difficulty level per world totaling six, then two more. The special world has 8 levels
Huh? I’m pretty sure it’s 8 for 8 worlds and then three Champions Road-tier levels, going by the level list.

Back
Top Bottom