• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler Super Mario Bros. Wonder - SPOILER Thread (Enter at your own risk)

I haven't seen them all with the random footage spread out I watched but one really cool Wonder effect is the bullet bills one in one of the last levels (that was actually shown in the Direct briefly), where you ride those bullet bills above the clouds and the stage go from dark and moody to really bright with Bowser Castle in the background. Really awesome moment.

The game takes approx 8 hours to finish without rushing, maybe 4-6 more hours for the 100%

The special world levels are really hard and not for everyone, there are well hidden anyway and for the completionists

Some framerate losses can happen randomly which is surprising, and the lack of bosses (Only Bowser Jr is fightable except Bowser at the very end) no post game and no more transformations than the ones officially revealed also

It’s a very cool fun game, wonder effects add to the fun, quite short, refreshing visuals that can keep you busy for a weekend
8.5/10

I can see a metascore between 85-92

The game takes approx 8 hours to finish without rushing, maybe 4-6 more hours for the 100%

The special world levels are really hard and not for everyone, there are well hidden anyway and for the completionists

Some framerate losses can happen randomly which is surprising, and the lack of bosses (Only Bowser Jr is fightable except Bowser at the very end) no post game and no more transformations than the ones officially revealed also

It’s a very cool fun game, wonder effects add to the fun, quite short, refreshing visuals that can keep you busy for a weekend
8.5/10

Let me guess, emulator?

there is at least one transformation that wasn't shown in any trailers, and pretty early in the game too (fluffy lift)

8.5/10

I also experienced very minor drops in my short time of one hour with the game but I thought it felt better in handheld mode. Also the official footage we got before wasn’t always 100% 60fps in certain moments I think.

Last edited:
It’s dumb that you can’t see a level’s completion from the world map (it only displays the seed count), only from the level list.

8.5/10

This is disappointing to learn. So my pessimistic take from it is:
  • the game is short,
  • way too easy, except for only a few way too hard levels,
  • repetition of only 2 bosses,
  • only 4 powerups.
What is the optimistic take? That it's fun and looks decent?

• the game is short,
  • only 4 powerups.
8 hours is short for a 2d platformer?

That’s incredibly pessimistic for an “optimistic” take. Even your own pessimistic take would still almost certainly be fun and look decent.

The optimistic take is that the level design and Wonder effects set the new standard for 2D platformers and revitalize a branch of Nintendo that’s been a bit aimless for the past few years.

• the game is short,
  • only 4 powerups.
You are basing it on one person when other people have noted different times for completion and differing takes on the level of difficulty.

Game length and difficulty are always going to be very subjective and dependant on someone’s skill level.

Anyone who 100% completed: How many wonder seeds are there? I want to know how much content we can expect, if you can bless with the information 🙏

Feel like Nintendo should give up on boss fights in 2D Mario altogether if they're gonna keep cheaping out on them. "3 Jr. fights and then Bowser" is downright pathetic for a game as inventive as this, especially since they're most likely the generic "jump on their head 3 times" affair that can be chained with an ounce of thought (not checking any further than that cause of spoilers). Just do end-of-world set-pieces instead.

I like that Jack Black plays Bowser once and now it's just canon that Bowser loves rock and roll

I kind of liked the bosses, but then again my favorite 2D Mario boss is the ones in SMB1 and the shooting section in Land 1. That's never been a focus of these games and they shouldn't put too many in.

Back
Top Bottom