• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Reviews Super Mario Bros. Wonder: Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Celeste is easily the best looking 2D platformer game ever made what are you talking about
I love Celeste but I think there’s plenty of 2D platformers that look way better, both from the SNES era and modern indies. You don’t have to look far to find great pixel art in the genre.

Quite disappointed about lack of challenge.

The problem is not Nintendo not making difficult Mario games. It's just there's not a single challenging 2D platform in the market. From any publisher. All easy as breeze. I'm tired of replaying classics to get what I need...

There's Celeste but I'm refusing to play that until Maddy releases a filter for the game to make it easy on the eye.
You're gonna say that you found DKC Tropical Freeze easy too, aren't you?

*Looks op the Chris Dring tweet

Oof. Guess he’s going to have a serious discussion with his source.

There's nothing to discuss, he simply didn't know about the existence of the game, hence why he said Nintendo had no other big games for the year after Zelda. When Wonder was announced he tried to spin it as "I knew about it, it's just not a big game", which is ridiculous obviously and he's been embarrassing himself since by doubling down.

I don't know why it's so critical for people to make everyone believe they are in the know about everything. Seems like a sad life.

hmm i think my prediction was 88-91 or something, so i'd say that's a pretty close win for me. 😌

i suspect it'll fall again from 93 once more pessimistic clickbait reviewers are incorporated. maybe end at 92? or 91?... and then i'll be exactly right!

There's nothing to discuss, he simply didn't know about the existence of the game, hence why he said Nintendo had no other big games for the year after Zelda. When Wonder was announced he tried to spin it as "I knew about it, it's just not a big game", which is ridiculous obviously and he's been embarrassing himself since by doubling down.

I don't know why it's so critical for people to make everyone believe they are in the know about everything. Seems like a sad life.
what's crazy is that having a good pulse on the industry is his literal job and he comically failed at it

what's crazy is that having a good pulse on the industry is his literal job and he comically failed at it
Some of us have a much better pulse than people who get paid to cover it. I know me and Mr Spo went on for the longest how a new 2D Mario made sense to release this holiday.

Yeah, he should have stuck to what he's actually informed to talk about, but he got greedy and ended up clowning himself. No one would have had issues with him saying "I know about X, but besides that I don't know about any other big games this year if there are any".

What are the chances it gets back to 94? What outlets haven't made their reviews yet? Edge is one of the heavier weights and have yet to make theirs.

P4blo, please stop using this account to evade your ban.

youre-banned.gif

How the hell does Nintendo manage to do this like every year? It's been like the whole switch gen of years now that they've consistently come out with a lot of games and a lot of good games specifically. It's been crazy good to be a Nintendo fan and it's been like that for awhile.

How the hell does Nintendo manage to do this like every year? It's been like the whole switch gen of years now that they've consistently come out with a lot of games and a lot of good games specifically. It's been crazy good to be a Nintendo fan and it's been like that for awhile.
They’re the best developer. Their principles, philosophies they’ve followed has lead them well.

Merging their handheld and console development pipelines has really paid off for them. Needing to support 2 consoles at once was like that weighted clothing shonen anime characters wear, and the Switch is them without that extra weight.

(also sticking with older tech and not needing to develop 4K assets for any of their games probably doesn't hurt)

I love Celeste but I think there’s plenty of 2D platformers that look way better, both from the SNES era and modern indies. You don’t have to look far to find great pixel art in the genre.
It’s nowhere close to being the best looking 2D platformer game. It’s not even in the conversation
Respectfully disagree. The simplicity of Celeste is what makes it special IMO, plus I'm a huge fan of winter levels.

Quite disappointed about lack of challenge.

The problem is not Nintendo not making difficult Mario games. It's just there's not a single challenging 2D platform in the market. From any publisher. All easy as breeze. I'm tired of replaying classics to get what I need...

There's Celeste but I'm refusing to play that until Maddy releases a filter for the game to make it easy on the eye.
Have you played any of the Jumper games? They're from Maddy, they're very similar to Celeste: One-screen challenges with demanding precission and awesome level design. Graphics and everything are very simple (the games are like 20 years old already) but they're very good games. You can get them from free at:

You'll also find there an Untitled Story, a very cool Metroidvania with instances of Celeste-like platforming. The atmosphere of this game is incredibly well done.

Celeste's art style is pretty bad. The fact that the backgrounds are almost HD pixel art but the character looks super simplistic looks really bad in contrast. Not to mention some environments just look super bland, like the hotel.

I Wonder (oh oh !) what will he say next time before the Nintendo Switch III: 3rd Impact,

"Oh, I always knew about The Amazing Super Mario, it's made by the C-men team, I know it's a bit hard to swallow but I don't think this flacid game will end up rising long and hard sales"

I've been playing NSMBWii today for a while, and now I'm watching a review of Wonder... And holy shit what a difference

Oh honestly, I just searched for the tweet and I just thought, man, not a good look mate.

I just think it’s funny, that’s all

This is how I learned P4blo got banned. Wtf. I read that comment and the ban part I must have seen as a joke or skimmed past it.

For AI art, of all things
It didn't even look like AI art either upon first glance. I hope it's not a case of mod overreacting. Would have been better if the mod left it there for others to judge for themselves. But now that it've been removed, I cannot go back and look closer.

It didn't even look like AI art either upon first glance. I hope it's not a case of mod overreacting. Would have been better if the mod left it there for others to judge for themselves. But now that it've been removed, I cannot go back and look closer.
He's been warned about spamming AI art in threads before

How wild is is that both Insomniac and 2D Mario broke their 80s curse for games releasing on the same day?

Honestly, part of me is just glad they’re close because if one was a lot higher than the other, we’d probably end up having more people be weirdos about it.

Gonna be a great weekend between the two.

Bought the voucher and the game is right there teasing me until tomorrow. I’m feeling the same hype I had with TotK, this digital games are super evil. I’m probably buying mario rpg with the other voucher but I’m having second thoughts.

If it's the pictures I'm thinking of (Samus looking through the curtain) I didn't think they looked ai generated either but I'm assuming the mods were able to confirm they were. Though maybe they should have communicated how they knew it was ai art.

*Looks op the Chris Dring tweet

Oof. Guess he’s going to have a serious discussion with his source.
The guy might not even have a source. Sure, he's from GI.biz but this shit sounds so made just for him to save face. The fuck was he thinking? A new Mario being developed by a so-called c-team (shit is condesncending in itself already), a team that probably don't even exist at Nintendo?

I would have never expected a 2D Mario game in 2023 to almost reach the mid 90s in aggregates, that's really neat.

The guy might not even have a source. Sure, he's from GI.biz but this shit sounds so made just for him to save face. The fuck was he thinking? A new Mario being developed by a so-called c-team (shit is condesncending in itself already), a team that probably don't even exist at Nintendo?
He may have heard that it's newer devs working on it and jumped to conclusions.

Dring does hear things but i feel he should stick to UK sales chart reporting. His Nintendo takes are tinged with that vibe of "Nintendo is irrelevant except for X game" faint praise. That may be the vibe he gets in his bubble but he's usually talking to a global audience when he wades into rumor talk and Nintendo is as big as they have ever been and what they release will impact the other two.

Last edited:
I know it’s because they’re the biggest sites, but it’s funny nintendo is retweeting the IGN and Gamespot 9s instead of the plethora of 10s lol

First 2D Mario game to hit the 90s since the 90s... I think things just might work out long term with this plumber guy huh

Perhaps it’s fair to say the Wonder Of SMB has “vanquished the horrible 89 curse” (Yeah, Yeah, I know I have my references mixed-up, but allow it…). “Nothing after Tears, Switch “Pro” NOW!!”, certain reporters and “Influencers” said… But let’s examine the receipts on Nintendo in 2023. Tears -96, Wonder - 93, XC3: Future Redeemed - 92, Pikmin 4 - 87. Not counting remasters because it’s unfair, and I’ve been very critical of first-person Metroid. Hell, even FE: Engage and Cereza had 80+ scores. Whatever, this videoclip is a very apt description, so, I’ll leave it here. Who needs bases when, not content with mere home runs, you can’t stop knocking it out of the park!? This one’s going to be rather special. 💕✨

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom