• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Super Mario Bros. Wonder: Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you think Pyra and Mythra are bad designs, I can add you to my ignore list. Take care and stay safe.

Back on topic, glad to hear the music is well received. I was excited for it.
Oh yeah add me to that ignore list. Same with anyone who likes those characters. They feel super exploitative, as do a lot of the designs from 2.

Quite disappointed about lack of challenge.

The problem is not Nintendo not making difficult Mario games. It's just there's not a single challenging 2D platform in the market. From any publisher. All easy as breeze. I'm tired of replaying classics to get what I need...

There's Celeste but I'm refusing to play that until Maddy releases a filter for the game to make it easy on the eye.

The problem is not Nintendo not making difficult Mario games. It's just there's not a single challenging 2D platform in the market. From any publisher. All easy as breeze. I'm tired of replaying classics to get what I need...

There's Celeste but I'm refusing to play that until Maddy releases a filter for the game to make it easy on the eye.

I mean, theres a tweet from Andy Robinson from VGC where he says that there's a late level that took him hours over two days to beat.

Sounds kinda challenging?

There's more challenging 2d platformers than you could possibly play in a lifetime, alongside Metroidvanias, it's practically the indie bread and butter

It's about as challenging as Mario 3D World, probably a bit more so. don't think Nintendo is ever gonna release a mainline Mario that's like super meat boy

urrgh worst news. how many reviews youve read says its easy.

Vooks is the opposite

in their review

- Some brutally challenging levels, which may be a positive for some

I mean, theres a tweet from Andy Robinson from VGC where he says that there's a late level that took him hours over two days to beat.

Sounds kinda challenging?
Which is like every mainline 2D Mario starting with World. A spike in difficulty in a special/bonus world with levels that are very challenging like Tubular (World), 9-7 (NSMBWii), and NSMB2's impossible pack (though that was dlc).

Well that’s why we need a new DKC game…

If you think Pyra and Mythra are bad designs, I can add you to my ignore list. Take care and stay safe.
this image but I'm handing the gun to you

snipes.jpg

Yeah, this score is well deserved. While the game might not be too long the package is amazingly well put together.

I wish I was a kid again and that this game would be one of my first Mario experiences.

the attention to details in the art direction is very noticeable, I have not managed to find a single bug in the gameplay. The game rewards clever thinking and isn't very punishing. Yup. Well done. This is a Nintendo game.

So I guess early impressions from people who got the game early were indeed not that relevant to the final critical reception, color me surprised. :sneaky:

Celeste is easily the best looking 2D platformer game ever made what are you talking about

I'm actually surprised it a 92/93. I'm so excited to play this game.

It is just a shame Nintendo didn't have it's A-team make the game. Probably would gotten a 97/98 on metacritic. But we take these.

Love to see it, really excited to pick it up at launch.

Lmao, that tweet is from 2014 😁
Even better, its from the 2014 World Cup, from it's finals match.

That's Rihanna cheering for the german national team. :D

Germans are so unimaginative with nicknames, we've had at least three seperate Super Marios in our national team by now and only one of them had something approaching a moustache:

s.jpg

Götze, Gomez, Balotelli, Mandžukić ... the wide football world is full of nude-lipped pretenders.

From TheGamer :

Boss battles don't take advantage of the Wonder Flowers as much as I'd like, since most of them are just Bowser Jr across a litany of similar looking castles. You'll duke it out with some elemental powers before jumping on his head a few times and calling it a day. I saw so many opportunities for my expectations to burst forth into subversion, but Wonder would just never take things far enough.

Welp, that is what I feared.. It’s quite baffling that they created so many new enemies yet none as a boss.

all this talk about difficulties in 2d platformers on the review thread reminded me of this legendary review and it’s all yours fault

Celeste is easily the best looking 2D platformer game ever made what are you talking about
While I'll disagree heavily with the poster on that Celeste is difficult on the eyes, I always found the game to be somewhat lacking in presentational cohesiveness. The world map being low poly 3D, the HUD elements being boldly cartoon drawn, and the in-game graphics being these pico-8 inspired pixels that occasionally deform and have effects filters on top (those might actually be a bit much at times, granted) all felt somewhat incongruous when put together.

Not to be a hater since it's like one of my favorite games ever but if there's anything I'd pick the game apart for it would be the visuals; even as someone who's a fan of visually incongruent elements I don't think Celeste does it in a particularly interesting way outside of one moment.

My prediction in the review predict thread was wrong and exceeded my expectations. This will be the first 2D mario game I own since 6 golden coins.

There's more challenging 2d platformers than you could possibly play in a lifetime, alongside Metroidvanias, it's practically the indie bread and butter
I'm talking strictly about platformers. Metroidvanias usually focus on melee combat and exploration, so platforming aspect of the games are always the secondary focus.

But there are some that pack in great platforming, I'm not gonna deny: Guacamelee 1-2 and Ori games. Both series are relatively on the easy side, though.
I didn't say it looks bad, magic. It's not "easy on the eye". Big pixels in such games gives me headaches, big screen of Switch and my dim lit room where I play make it even more intense. A simple CRT or scanline filter help a lot, many 8-bit style indie games have such options. Except Celeste...

Really? I used a voucher on it a couple days ago. Maybe they don't allow that in certain regions?
It's a thing with the Mexican eShop. Since the exchange rate is crazy low right now ( they actually lowered the price of first party games) they want to avoid people from other regions buying from our eShop, so the only real solution was to disable preorders until launch date. And since you can't preorder you can't use voucher until the 20

Very impressive! Currently 93 on MC. I predicted 92 and thought that might've been too optimistic. Friday can't get here soon enough!

I don't think it'll be Kirby level of easy, but yes, the challenge is subjective.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom