• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Reviews Super Mario Bros. Wonder: Review Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
None of those definitions are how it's used in the US. If something is a banger, it's good
The one under british english slang "
4. slang
a popular song or record, esp one with a strong and danceable beat

I've been around a long time reading and consuming commentary on games, It's not used in informal reviews or commentary of video games in the north american context often except in UK channels or british reviewers. which is why i asked.

I'm guilty.

e7dd736cd92055bb589b0d07c2435eda_w200.gif

See you on the ignore list.

all 2d mario scores (that happened when metacritic existed)

Super Mario Advance: 84
Super Mario World Advance 2: 92
Yoshi's Island Advance 3: 91
Super Mario Bros 3 Advance 4 (what a title lol): 94
New Super Mario Bros: 89
New Super Mario Bros Wii: 87
New Super Mario Bros 2: 78
New Super Mario Bros U: 84
Super Mario Maker: 88
New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe: 80
Super Mario Maker 2: 88
Super Mario Bros Wonder: 93

NSMBU, SMM and SMM2 deserve much more IMHO. NSMBU is a top tier 2D platformer.

Last edited:

Glad the best 2D Mario scored the highest

None of those definitions are how it's used in the US. If something is a banger, it's good
Because bangers are sausages, and sausages are good. Same reason we call good songs a banger; in the gerund form, we'd call the game/song 'banging' (which can also be used as slang for sex).

All of these terms are derived from the slang 'banger' (sausage), because quality sausages are both life and love.

dramatisation; may not have happened

The one under british english slang "
4. slang
a popular song or record, esp one with a strong and danceable beat

I've been around a long time reading and consuming commentary on games, It's not used in informal reviews or commentary of video games in the north american context often except in UK channels or british reviewers. which is why i asked.
Didn't see that one on mobile. Got a large ad and thought that was the end of the page.

Well I can say people in the US have been using banger like that for a long time, cause I used it a lot. Hence my surprise it's british

Because bangers are sausages, and sausages are good. Same reason we call good songs a banger; in the gerund form, we'd call the game/song 'banging' (which can also be used as slang for sex).

All of these terms are derived from the slang 'banger' (sausage), because quality sausages are both life and love.

dramatisation; may not have happened

I always thought a song is called a banger because it makes you bang your head to the music

But ofc sausages make way more sense lol

I don't like boasting in real life but I will take an anonymous victory lap for my prediction :D

It was due to extreme luck irrefutable logic.

I also saw a greek video review that thought was great. It seems clear that Nintendo went all in in the title and the sense of wonder is really above anything else. They throw in a million ideas without necessarily expanding on them to keep you guessing what comes next. The animation and sound design of the game is apparently a masterpiece.

His question in the video is whether because of that sense of wonder being prevalent, whether it will have a ton of replay value and how enjoyable replays will be, but apart from this it's a worthy "sequel" to Super Mario World

"Banger" is a funny one, because people assume it maybe comes from the UK and was later transplanted and popularised elsewhere, but it's actually Maine slang - i.e. you'd call something "a Bangor" because of its cultural importance and because it's seen as of high enough quality to be an entry point for newcomers (Bangor has a port of entry and was an important part of the Great Circle Air Route). Bangor is also the Queen city and home to Stephen King, so again it's a play on being the pinnacle. People in Pennsylvania and Wales picked it up (having their own Bangors that they considered to denote greatness), and before long it had spread even further to places where people didn't necessarily have that frame of reference.

Eventually people mistakenly used "banger" enough that it stuck and gained more universal relevancy. If you really want your mind blown - we call sausages "bangers" as a play on words, because they are the main(e) part of a meal.

Language is amazing!

c0c.jpg

Ah, but which is more overrated?

Yoshi's Island or Donkey Kong Country 2?
Yoshis island, imo, i love looking at yoshis, island, and listening to yoshis island, but the gameplay feels less snappy to me than that in dkc 2, and it also just feels like it’s a tad too long, i was running out of steam in yoshis island by the last two worlds or so, and there was one too many frustrating “maze cave” levels. But both games are masterpieces in their own way. Im not out here trying to call yoshis island a bad game lol, i just dont like it as much as the dkc games, or super Mario world

I'd say DKC2, definitely.

Personally, DKC2 is fine, but also (imo) is neither the best of the SNES DKC games nor is it as good as Retro's DKC games.

Meanwhile, I think Yoshi's Island is a masterpiece that still hasn't come close to being surpassed by any subsequent Yoshi game.

Was pretty disappointed by Yoshi’s Island when I first played it a couple years ago. It’s a good game, but I certainly don’t see how it’s a masterpiece.

Then again, I feel that way about every 2D Mario game besides the Maker games I guess (and even then, I don’t think they’re masterpieces, they’re just great).

Yoshi's Island holds up so incredibly well. Enemy variety is enormous, aesthetics are impeccable, game feel is quick and snappy and delicious... Plus, there's some bold level design in there, including levels with an enormous amount of verticality - something that Mario hasn't returned to. Hoping Wonder pushes that envelope again.

DKC2 I could never really get into, maybe it's the enormous sprite size that prevents me from getting a feel for the levels.

I'm kind of burned out on 2D sidescrollers in general and wasn't planning on getting this. But the reviews are giving me pause to reconsider

In Donkey Kong Country 2 you can return to a completed level if you missed one of the three or four collectibles, then pause and exit out as soon as you grab it. In Yoshi's Island you have to get all 25 collectibles in one go and finish the level with full health for it to count. Also, anything less than a perfect score on every level in a whole world is completely useless.

Yoshi's Island fans have been high on their own art supplies for far too long, Kong is king.

they're both pretty overrated, but I'd say Yoshi's Island is more because Yoshi's Story is so much better. Dkc1 is much better than Dkc2 but at least people generally like both.

Yoshis island is still my favorite 2d platformer. Its not pure platforming bliss like 2d mario, but the level design is still excellent and fluttering plus throwing eggs was super satisfying. Its collectathon nature was also pretty much a pre cursor to mario 64 at the time.

Just wanted to add that, despite adoring YI since release, I will never do - and have never done - a completionist run. :p

In Donkey Kong Country 2 you can return to a completed level if you missed one of the three or four collectibles, then pause and exit out as soon as you grab it. In Yoshi's Island you have to get all 25 collectibles in one go and finish the level with full health for it to count. Also, anything less than a perfect score on every level in a whole world is completely useless.

Yoshi's Island fans have been high on their own art supplies for far too long, Kong is king.
this is a literal skill issue though

I just watched the Gamespot review. Damn. Guess I'll keep my Wonder preorder. Stupid Nintendo. Taking more of my money.

DKC2 is great because the first run when you’re just trying to get to K Rool is really difficult, and then when you’re better at the game you can go for the more difficult challenge of collecting everything

Yoshi’s Island’s problem is that a straight run to the end of level is really easy, whereas a 100% run is really difficult and also tedious

yoshis island was a fun one time thing, for my money its the worst platformer Nintendo put out on the snes but that's still high praise. its just okay the aesthetics are nice, the gameplay is either easy or insane depending on what you do and it doenst feel very fluid. but that's just me, a lot of the game is slowing down and aiming which is not something i am fond of in games. i started it but I fell off it and have no interest in coming back ot it, its slow gameplay doesn't mesh with what i want out of 2d platformer (nor do i want to put in the time to get good at it because i do not have the time for that)

imo yoshis wooly world was leaps and bounds ahead of snes yoshis island.

yoshis island was a fun one time thing, for my money its the worst platformer Nintendo put out on the snes but that's still high praise. its just okay the aesthetics are nice, the gameplay is either easy or insane depending on what you do and it doenst feel very fluid. but that's just me, a lot of the game is slowing down and aiming which is not something i am fond of in games. i started it but I fell off it and have no interest in coming back ot it, its slow gameplay doesn't mesh with what i want out of 2d platformer (nor do i want to put in the time to get good at it because i do not have the time for that)

imo yoshis wooly world was leaps and bounds ahead of snes yoshis island.
It’s extremely controversial for me to say this but I actually really liked Crafted World

this is a literal skill issue though
Eh, I'd contend that Yoshi's Island definitely has some gruelingly long levels towards the end and that it also starts requiring perfectionism to a somewhat ridiculous degree for certain levels. It's still a great game and probably better than most 2D Marios, but that's not saying much.

Really, Nintendo has always been bad at 100%ing / collecting aspects of their games, but Yoshi's Island is particularly notable because the actual mechanics around it are amazing (after all, it doesn't technically require perfectionism, there is ways to get back stars, it just punishes using the buffer too much), but it's still not actually fun to 100%.

I did a 100% run of Yoshi’s Island once and vowed never to touch it again. I constantly return to DKC2 for completionist runs though.

Yoshi's Island, just playing to the credits, is a flawless game.

Playing for 100% is an exercise in self flagellation. The unlockable levels aren't even that good!

advance 4 is the best version of the best classic Mario game, so it's score is appropriate

This year is unreal. I can't believe this is year EDIT: 7 of a console lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom