• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Site Event Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event | RERUN May 14 - May 22 (See Threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been trying to get the 99 lives trick for an hour.

I suck
It's honestly pretty tough in Super Mario Bros.! You might be able to have an easier time if you do it in Lost Levels - easy place to try it in World 1-1. There's other tricks in a couple of the other games, too.

I was gonna start Lost Levels, but instead I went back to Super Mario Bros. for one last badge: B-Dasher.

2023071500084600-05-DC14-F80-A13996-B94160-CD375-AFD506.jpg

I probably could have gotten this in the playthrough, but going for points and secrets over speed skews how I play.

Played some Mario 1, got everything I can so far except for B-dasher

Turtle Tipping

Warp Zoner (Part 1 of 3)
Warpzone.jpg

Retainer Retriever
Mushroom Retainer.jpg

Your Quest is Over (Score 681,600) and Let's A-Go
SMB Ending.jpg

A New Quest Completed
Hard Mode Proof.jpg
Hard Mode End.jpg

Top of the Flagpole and Fireworks Show
Fireworks and Flagpole.jpg

Exploring the Kingdom's Secrets
1-1 Secret.jpg
1-2 Secret.jpg

2-1 Secret.jpg
3-1 Secret 2.jpg

3-1 Secret.jpg
4-1 Secret.jpg

Fire Flower Power
Fake bowser.jpg

Last edited:
Super Mario Bros (NES)

Alright, time to play. This is how Josh spent his Friday night, with the game that represents my very first memory..

I66A3gV.jpg

*Note- Please forgive the slight angle with the TV. I don't think anyone needs to see my ugly reflection thanks to the black background.

Let's-a Go!

Retainer Retriever

Your Quest is Over

A New Quest Completed- I have added the 8-4 screenshot as requested as well as the end screen.

Top of the Flagpole

Fireworks Show

Fire Flower Power

Super Mario Bros (NES) High Score Submission
- 653,950 points

@VolcanicDynamo, I'm coming for every badge.

Has anyone ever been able to do the "connect your switch to your phone" thing so you can put screenshots there? Scanning the QR code doesn't seem to work for me.
All my submissions so far have been done using it. Had one error but it's been smooth otherwise.

I think I may have not done "A New Quest Completed" in the intended way. I just warped to world 8 for the entry I made above. To make up for that, I did it again in All-Stars from the beginning (and to get a different high score entry, 818400). Plus I got my evidence for Exploring the Kingdom's Secrets.

Also, nice touch on the personalized text for the badges, @VolcanicDynamo!

Did Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels this morning, All-Stars version because I ain't replaying it that many times to get to world D. I do prefer the NES aesthetic usually, but it was a good change of pace from playing through SMB last night.

First, I went back to SMB for some unfinished business

B-Dasher
B-Dasher.jpg

I also picked up another Warpzone

Warp Zoner 2 of 3
Warp Zone 2.jpg

Peace is Paved (score 722,050)
SMBLL 8-4 Clear.jpg

Fantasy World
9-4 Clear.jpg

For Super Players (Score 1,149,350)
D-4 Clear.jpg

@VolcanicDynamo , for the purpose of cumulative High Score, will you use the 8-4 score, or the D-4? I'm not worried about hitting it either way, but wanted to check.

Did Super Mario Bros. Lost Levels this morning, All-Stars version because I ain't replaying it that many times to get to world D. I do prefer the NES aesthetic usually, but it was a good change of pace from playing through SMB last night.

Say what? Looks it up Nooooo! I'm already up 6-4!!!

Well, at least that'll be more high scores.

So, I'm gonna start this challenge later. Do I edit the same post over and over with new screen shot evidence or just make a new post for each one as I go?

I think I've rewarded all of the badges people have earned up to this post. Let me know if I missed any! It's time for my own Lost Levels Badges:

Peace is Paved

Fantasy World

For Super Players (this is the first time I've finished Lost Levels on SNES, so I didn't realize that the ending images were different from SMB1 All-Stars!)
It's off to Subcon next. Two of the four games down so far, not bad. But I'm bracing myself for Yoshi's Island - the only one of these games that I have not finished even once. Still, my score continues to grow, at least!

Now to answer some questions:

I think I may have not done "A New Quest Completed" in the intended way. I just warped to world 8 for the entry I made above. To make up for that, I did it again in All-Stars from the beginning (and to get a different high score entry, 818400). Plus I got my evidence for Exploring the Kingdom's Secrets.

Also, nice touch on the personalized text for the badges, @VolcanicDynamo!

I'm glad you enjoyed the text! For the record, we are cool with people using Warps to get to the end of any game. Either way, though, this does earn you an extra slot on the high score table and more progress toward High Score Chaser!
@VolcanicDynamo , for the purpose of cumulative High Score, will you use the 8-4 score, or the D-4? I'm not worried about hitting it either way, but wanted to check.
For All-Stars, I'm gonna use the D-4 score since it's one continuous playthrough. Same for SMB1All-Stars with normal and hard mode. It's part of the reason why I wanted to separate the scoreboards in the first place, the scores you can get in one are a lot higher due to the change in structure.

Super Mario Bros Lost Levels (NES)

Before today, I've played through this game once. It was the All-Stars version on the Wii about 10~12 years ago. That was a straight through, no warp run that was still a pain in the butt. Today I went through the NES version. This game isn't hard. It is evil. This isn't Dark Souls. Dark Souls couldn't hold a candle to this game. There are poison mushrooms. There is wind that can take you off the platform. There are warp zones that take you BACKWARDS. You can go in circles until the time runs out. This game will destroy you.

Anyway, let's talk badges :)

Peach is Paved

Fantasy World

Super Mario Bros Lost Levels (NES-J) Score Submission- 1,569,750 points

High Score Chaser
SMB (with warp zones)-268,450 points
SMB (no warp zones)- 653,950 points
SMB LL- 1,569,750 points

I'm making my way through SMB1 via All-Stars on NSO (I picked this over the original 'cuz I prefer the SNES pixel art). Old-school Mario games are some hella respectable platformers. Getting major butt anxiety over some of these jumps! Mario's unique mobility and momentum make it so that even Koopa Shells need to be approached carefully. These things have already bounced back and forth and killed me more times than I care to admit. It's occasionally frustrating dying to a Goomba because I was like two pixels off from hitting its head (and ended up touching its side instead), but I'm enjoying myself!

I haven't finished a Mario game in like 15 years, so I may end up asking some noob questions throughout the duration of the event.

I just wanna know how and why there are a bunch of fake Bowsers. What's the lore? Is there even any?
there is, and it's that they're just bowser's typical mooks under an illusion spell

kill them with fireballs and you'll see their true form

Did a bunch of stuff in SMW, posting what I got while I'm still trying to find the last 2 missing exits, hopefully without going insane 👀 :LOL:
(if you're wondering why the scores are so different, it's because I reset the game to see how many exits I'm still missing...)

greenswitch.jpg
yellowswitch.jpg
blueswitch.jpg
redswitch.jpg

And now, for Dinosaur Land Explorer: Turns out I was missing the regular exit in one of the Ghost Houses 🙄 I also completed Star World 3 in less than 20 seconds (level has a 200 seconds timer), if that counts for the B-Dasher Badge :D

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification, @VolcanicDynamo! I took that to heart and took the shortest path when redoing Lost Levels in All-Stars to get to world D.

First, lost levels on NES for the Peace is Paved and Fantasy World badges. High Score 1301700 after World 8. It was more after world 9, but that just loops forever, so I wasn't sure if we were counting it. I got a shot after the flagpole here, but before time points were added.

I'd never done world 9 before. I guess I've always done it with warps? It seems more like the acid trip people always joke about Mario being. Kind of a victory lap after world 8 though. Especially with fire the water sections are almost easy.

Second, I have For Super Players in All Stars. High Score 534200 after world D.

I just used a guide to check the shortest route this time, lol. I really hate what all stars does to breaking bricks with super mario. It just feels bad. I'm not sure quite what it is.

Has there ever been something said about the influence of Mario USA on Yoshi's Island? People always say they want a return to Subcon but Yoshi's Island feels like a spiritual sequel.

I'm on vacation this week, lol

Retainer Retriever
esJmvev.jpg

Your Quest is Over
prYAX5M.jpg

A New Quest Completed
Brf464r.jpg

DgUlmBq.jpg

Top of the Flagpole
and Fireworks Show
baLBxRB.jpg

r2pd4IN.jpg

f93KAdo.jpg

LC6gqC3.jpg

FVgL8EW.jpg

JVMH0AO.jpg

Rjz8SFq.jpg

Foraging in Subspace
WtVglHe.png

Dream Team
ueEz8PW.png

uXSerHk.png

lwWrNMf.png

jqKQJVb.png

Bonus Chance Jackpot
uXSerHk.png

Subcon Smasher
Tuz6ugv.png

lwWrNMf.png

Hooked on the Brothers
NxKWnQN.png

Last edited:
So, I figured I would smash through SMB 1 + Lost Levels (which I never played) and finish all badges from these games in a single day... Until I discovered I need to finish the game at least 8 times to get one certain badge 😢

I had to look that up SEVERAL TIMES because I just couldn't believe one of these playground rumor like bonuses would end up being actually valid, what a day to be alive.

Challenge accepted... Although not in a single day.

Great progress on the badges, folks! I added what I could and updated the high score tables. Wonder how many people can get You are a Super Player!! and the 10 bonus badges! Do not that we'll have to award those a bit later - we're still setting those up.
So, I figured I would smash through SMB 1 + Lost Levels (which I never played) and finish all badges from these games in a single day... Until I discovered I need to finish the game at least 8 times to get one certain badge 😢

I had to look that up SEVERAL TIMES because I just couldn't believe one of these playground rumor like bonuses would end up being actually valid, what a day to be alive.

Challenge accepted... Although not in a single day.
If you wanna save yourself some pain, play Lost Levels on All-Stars. You don't need to beat the game eight times to get Worlds A-D, and the main game plus the bonus worlds can be played through in one continuous playthrough. If you're playing via unofficial emulation or a flash cart, you can use the Brick Fix patch to have brick physics that are more true to the NES release, but it's totally doable without it as well.

I have never in my life played the western version of SMB2. What the fresh hell even is this game?!

Also, uh, does "Subcon Smasher" refer to the endboss at the set of three levels or for the Birdos at the end of the levels too?

Last edited:
I have never in my life played the western version of SMB2. What the fresh hell even is this game?!

Also, uh, does "Subcon Smasher" refer to the endboss at the set of three levels or for the Birdos at the end of the levels too?
Subcon Smasher refers to the endboss at the set of three levels.

Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) Time! Went with the GBA version for this one in case I choose to go back for the bonus badges. I had gotten most of the Ace Coins anyway, so it shouldn't be too much of an issue to clean those up and get the Yoshi Eggs if I choose to do that.

Anyway, here we go.

Foraging in Subspace and Birdo Basher
Birdo1.jpg

Birdo2.jpg

Birdo3.jpg

Dream Team
CharacterClears.jpg

Bonus Chance Jackpot

Jackpot.jpg

Subcon Smasher

Savior of Subcon (Final Score 613,380, which should put me over the total needed for High Score Chaser)
SMB2End.jpg

Also finishing up the last remaining general badge, got my last needed warp zone

Warp Zoner 3 of 3
Warp 3.jpg

Awesome event! I'm wrapping up TotK soon so I will try to balance some Mario playthroughs with Pikmin 4 in the coming weeks

I dedicated my entire weekend to Mario Bros so I can at least get the Super Player Badge, so here is everything I got!. Putting the pics in spoiler so it doesn't take too much space

General Badges
  • Let's a Go: Super mario Bros Deluxe
  • B-dasher: Super Mario Bros Deluxe
  • Turtle Tipping: Super Mario Bros Deluxe
  • Warp Zoner: SMBDX, SMB2J, SMB3
  • High Score Chaser: 2'042,970
    • SMBDX: 533,900
    • SMBDX Hard mode: 132,250
    • SMB3 (All Stars): 1'376,820
Super Mario Bros 1 Deluxe ver,
  • Retainer Retriever
  • Your Quest is over
  • A new quest completed
  • Top of the Flagpole
  • Fireworks Show
  • Fire Flower Power
Super Mario Bros 3 All Stars ver.
  • Three of card
  • Memory matcher
  • Koopalings Go Boom Boom
  • Nice Suit
  • Savior of the Mushroom World
Advanced Challenges
  • Ace Coin Collector: Super Mario Bros 1 Deluxe. Some of the locations of the coins are bullshit lol. At least in super mario advance they are big so you can clearly see them, but not in SMBDX, they actually take in account the display area of the gbc to hide some of them . I mean look at this one

PvUNaAw.jpg

General Badges
  • Let's a Go: Super mario Bros Deluxe

• QqXH4Pz.png
  • B-dasher: Super Mario Bros Deluxe: 1-1. Stage has 400 seconds, did it in 35
    3UTLTVr.png
  • Turtle Tipping: Super Mario Bros Deluxe
    UdVaZbJ.png
  • Warp Zoner: SMBDX, SMB2J, SMB3
    ZoXDcwU.png

dnr2oek.png

jETy35Y.jpg

• High Score Chaser: 2'042,970
    • SMBDX: 533,900 (registered ad ERM2FB in the image)
    • SMBDX Hard mode: 132,250 (registered as ERM2FB in the image)
    • SMB3 (All Stars): 1'376,820
91etcnC.png

nBfcXI7.jpg

Super Mario Bros 1 Deluxe ver,
  • Retainer Retriever
    BE1h1d8.png

• Your Quest is over
    QqXH4Pz.png

• A new quest completed
    BzcCVsD.png

• Top of the Flagpole
    3UTLTVr.png

• Fireworks Show
    q4yoDd8.png

• Fire Flower Power
    MKw8Uw4.png
Super Mario Bros 3 All Stars ver.
  • Three of card
    WMV6cut.jpg

• Memory matcher
    3Ivgjws.jpg

• Koopalings Go Boom Boom
    sPdZ0kK.jpg

• Nice Suit
    9DmbQ7E.jpg

• Savior of the Mushroom World
    uvC8bfp.jpg
Advanced Challenges
  • Ace Coin Collector: Super Mario Bros 1 Deluxe.
    e6WDsRW.png

Uuh I'm really absorbed by Dredge right now, but I will try to find some time to work on some badges :D

Super Mario Bros 2 (USA) time! Playing on the GBA, finale score is 416,460

And last but not least, Supcon Smasher:
The fight took too long to take a video, I made a screenshot before and after the fight and the only score increase is the couple thousand you get from smashing the boss :D

I’ve kept a pretty good pace so far, but I’ll likely slow things down now. Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of my favorite games of all time and longer than the previous ones, but I have less experience with Super Mario World (I’ve only beaten it a few times casually, and not 100%) and I’ve only cleared Yoshi’s Island once. I’ll need to find a way to play Super Mario Land, and I’ve never actually played through Super Mario Land 2.

Here are my first ones:

Let's-a Go! / Your Quest is Over / A New Quest Completed:

Fireworks Show / Top of the Flagpole / Retainer Retriever:

Today I completed page 1-8, in order:

Retainer Retriever
Your Quest is Over
A New Quest Completed
Peach is Paved
Fantasy World
For Super Players
Top of the Flagpole
Fireworks Show
Exploring the Kingdoms' Secrets
Fire Flower Power

Blad1-8.png

I’ve kept a pretty good pace so far, but I’ll likely slow things down now. Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of my favorite games of all time and longer than the previous ones, but I have less experience with Super Mario World (I’ve only beaten it a few times casually, and not 100%) and I’ve only cleared Yoshi’s Island once. I’ll need to find a way to play Super Mario Land, and I’ve never actually played through Super Mario Land 2.

Unless Nintendo throws us a surprise with the NSO, I am going to have to play SML on my Gameboy. I bought a copy over the weekend lol.

For SMB1, is it just the NES OG and the All-Stars remake (both obviously having been ported a buncha times), or are there other versions of the game as well?

For SMB1, is it just the NES OG and the All-Stars remake (both obviously having been ported a buncha times), or are there other versions of the game as well?
There's also Super Mario Bros. Deluxe on Game Boy Color! It's mostly faithful as a remake but also has a lot of bonus content - including races against either Boo or another player in exclusive levels, a challenge mode which gives each level extra collectibles and a score to reach, and even Lost Levels as a bonus (albeit without Worlds 9-D).

...though the resolution of the GBC is a lot smaller than the NES, so that makes the game more of a challenge in ways.

...though the resolution of the GBC is a lot smaller than the NES, so that makes the game more of a challenge in ways.
The cheep cheep bridge levels are pure evil here, you can't see when they are coming below or above until they are very close lol. Still one thing to mention is that the control is tighter than the NES / Allstar as you are expected to react faster

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom