• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Site Event Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event | RERUN May 14 - May 22 (See Threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was going to play these on my GBA SP and snap some photos, but am I reading this right... that we can use everything except original hardware?

We'll also allow playthroughs of the games from throughout 2023 to count for badges - so long as you have the picture proof or the Famiboards posts to prove it! Feel free to use guides or video references to help you through
each game, and you may play on any platform you have (just not original hardware).

So we have to emulate or play some other official version instead of versions we already own? What's the impetus for that decision if that's the case?

I was going to play these on my GBA SP and snap some photos, but am I reading this right... that we can use everything except original hardware?

So we have to emulate or play some other official version instead of versions we already own? What's the impetus for that decision if that's the case?
No, you can play on original hardware and snap photos with, like, your phone or whatever. The statement means that you are not limited to playing on official hardware, not that official hardware is banned.

No, you can play on original hardware and snap photos with, like, your phone or whatever. The statement means that you are not limited to playing on official hardware, not that official hardware is banned.
Ooooh okay, so it's "not just original hardware" then. Might wanna edit that! :p "Just not original hardware" means you can use anything excepting OG hardware.

Either way, time to bust out the GBA, been looking for a reason to dig it out!

Yoshi's Island is done at last! That was the final game, now it's down to the remaining general challenges... To be continued!

• Time the Goal ring
  • Mini Battle Champ
  • Halfway to baby Luigi
  • Perfectionist
  • Brothers reunited
  • Extra Credit

Yoshis-island.png

Aaaalright, I've been workin my butt off the past two days to get these badges, lol. It helps that I played All-Stars since I was basically in diapers! Still work in progress, but... here's a thread:

So far as of this post, in this thread I have proof of completing:
GENERAL BADGES:
  • Let's-a Go!
  • B-Dasher
  • Turtle Tipping
  • Warp Zoner
  • High Score Chaser

SMB1 BADGES:
  • Retainer Retriever
  • Your Quest is Over
  • A New Quest Completed

SMB2J BADGES:
  • Peace is Paved
  • Fantasy World
  • For Super Players

SMB1 OR SMB2J BADGES:
  • Top of the Flagpole
  • Fireworks Show
  • Exploring the Kingdom's Secrets
  • Fire Flower Power

SMB2US BADGES:
  • Foraging in Subspace
  • Dream Team
  • Bonus Chance Jackpot
  • Birdo Basher
  • Subcon Smasher
  • Savior of Subcon

SMB3 BADGES:
  • Three of a Card
  • Memory Matcher
  • World Map Secrets
  • Koopalings Go Boom-Boom
  • Nice Suit
  • Savior of the Mushroom World

SML2 BADGES:
  • Ring the Bonus Bell
  • Coin Collector
  • Take Back the Golden Coins
  • Wallop Wario
  • Mario Land Explorer

I'm in the middle of finishing up SMW and SML, then it's on to Yoshi's Island!

Edit: I already got credit from the SML badges, so I'm going right to the proof of SMW and Yoshi's Island in the next post!

Last edited:
One Month Left for the Event!
We have officially reached the halfway point of the Super Mario All-Stars Celebration Event! I wanted to thank everyone who participated so far. Here are some preliminary stats:
  • 19 people have earned the Let's-a-Go! badge, making it the most earned badge in the event.
  • Super Mario Bros. has been the most commonly completed game, though all games have been finished at least once.

• The most earned game-specific badge is Retainer Retriever, with 18 members having been awarded the badges.
  • We have three Super Players so far: @ermitron2, @oomoepoo, and @Mandos, with the latter two also earning all of the Advance Badges. Well done!
There's still plenty of time to earn badges, so keep up the good work! And as for my own quest, I took the time to play some Mario Bros. yesterday for Hooked on the Brothers:

Interesting to see that og Mario is the most popular one for this event so far. Guess it helps that it's rather short. Also playable on basically every Nintendo platform :LOL:

@VolcanicDynamo i saw you updated the high score stuff after, but you missed that my score was still high enough to be on the SMB2LL AS board(well for now at least, it’s a competitive board). Here’s the proof again
ouvbs6U_d.webp

Wahoo! I did all the badges aside from the Advance Challenges!! They're in the thread I posted above, but the updates start from this part of the thread:

I also have my scores for the High Score Table in the thread as well.

I think I'm gonna do the Advance Challenges, so there'll be more high scores to add on at the end of that. This was/is a wonderful challenge!!

Got all my SMB 2 USA badges! First we have Birdo Basher:

Then we have Foraging in Subspace, Bonus Chance Jackpot, Savior of Subcon, and Dream Team:

I managed to fit the subcon smasher in a single video clip, to follow in a 2nd post.

I took what has to be close to the shortest possible path through the game, so I have the low high score of 327,790.

I always forget just how many enemies first showed up here. The shyguy family is the go-to, but can you imagine mario without bob-ombs? or pokeys? wild that we almost missed them.

and here's the post for subcon smasher: darn media limit.

I think I just have 6 golden coins left, along with a badge or two from yoshi's island I missed in my run through. I hope to get al the advance badges too, but I'm not sure I can bear getting the yoshi eggs in SMB USA. Maybe it's not so bad with a guide. I'd be able to improve my high score at least.

Another Super Player in just a few days? That's incredible progress. Congratulations, @Canas Renvall!

I should be up to date on badges and high scores now? I appreciate all of the reminders and tags. Meanwhile on my end I'm flaking on Yoshi's Island and am instead going through Super Mario Advance. I'll post when I make more progress!

Super Mario Advance is in the books! While Advance 4's e-Reader levels are the most expansive content that the Advance series has to offer, the first Advance may be the most fascinating. Most of its tweaks serve to make the game more like standard Mario games, with a difficulty more in line with Super Mario World: The Ace Coins working identically to the Dragon Coins of Super Mario World, a points system, combos for gaining higher points and extra lives...it's a lot easier overall than the original as a result, but not necessarily in a bad way. The Yoshi egg challenge would have been hell on original hardware, though. So glad for NSO.

Both badge proofs can be seen in one screenshot - the golden sky and the hatched Yoshi:
And for my high score, it's 1,832,710 - a score that comes pretty naturally from having to play through the game twice (and because I am a fool, that also meant all Ace Coins twice). You can actually cut this down pretty easily - you only need to beat the game to unlock the Yoshi Challenge, and that unlocks all levels, so you can use warps to beat the game and then do all Ace Coins and Yoshis in one playthrough. Still, learning the levels and Mushroom locations did make my time easier.
Two Advance games down, two more (plus Mario Bros.) to go. Will I really play through Yoshi's Island twice for this event, despite really not needing to? We shall see.

It is done.

The final challenges has been completed... save for the advanced challenges but at least this will net me the elusive Super-Player badge!
I may try and finish the remaining challenges if I find the time, perhaps.

• B-Dasher
  • Warp Zoner

lastchallenge.png

It is done.

The final challenges has been completed... save for the advanced challenges but at least this will net me the elusive Super-Player badge!
I may try and finish the remaining challenges if I find the time, perhaps.

• B-Dasher
  • Warp Zoner

lastchallenge.png
I couldn't find your Turtle Tipping submission in the thread. Can you quote the post or repost it?

Wonderful! That makes you our fifth Super Player in this event. Congratulations on getting all of the main badges!!

Thanks, I really enjoyed it! I hope there will be more challenges in the future, they make me appreciate and enjoy games in another way.

SMB2 (USA) main badges done @VolcanicDynamo

Foraging in Subspace

C98-E0-E0-B-EE8-C-4624-AB9-B-FC2-E7-FB34-DBB.jpg

Dream Team

E52-A5-AE1-67-C1-4717-B589-8-D5708-EAFB41.jpg

Bonus Chance Jackpot

20-C85431-F274-46-A1-B3-D0-3-FF626-E88-F65.jpg

Birdo Basher

99054-D85-A9-C0-487-B-8-B5-E-3-AB97-F36-AF0-F.jpg
FD32-A3-B8-F468-44-FB-87-E3-AA94782186-E9.jpg
E5-A90-AC2-BF28-448-B-89-E7-E43-A994-B2824.jpg

Subcon Smasher

1-DCD6-E4-E-EBC5-4-D06-A3-A7-7-C5462-B4296-A.jpg

F5-C792-A5-91-A6-4-C7-F-A04-D-1-EB9-D0-F8-ADCC.jpg

Savior of Subcon

179459-F8-9528-4-BF9-B085-262-FFD05-B565.jpg

Well, that's Super Mario Advance 2 wrapped up! It's Super Mario World...on the go! I have a lot of love for this one because this is how I got introduced to Super Mario World - the first version of my favorite game. This was the first time I played it all the way as Luigi. And unless I am deliberately going out of my way to challenge myself, it will also be the last time, since I much prefer Mario's physics over the floaty SMB2-style Luigi.

Super Luigi World (Final Score: 3,224,500)

Dragon Coin Collector

I can delay it no longer. It's time for Yoshi's Island. Good luck, me!

Super Mario Land 2 Complete!

Mario Land 2 was my second gameboy game, after tetris attack, and I played the heck out of it. It's a pretty quick game, especially if you use rewind on NSO. I think anyone could beat it in a day or two. It's a pretty weird game. It's interesting to see some elements come back in Odyssey. Maybe more so than the first Mario Land.

I think I just need to mop up a badge or two from yoshi's island to get all the basic badges. Then see if I'm motivated to do the rest of the advanced badges.

Super Mario Land 2 Complete!

Mario Land 2 was my second gameboy game, after tetris attack, and I played the heck out of it. It's a pretty quick game, especially if you use rewind on NSO. I think anyone could beat it in a day or two. It's a pretty weird game. It's interesting to see some elements come back in Odyssey. Maybe more so than the first Mario Land.

I think I just need to mop up a badge or two from yoshi's island to get all the basic badges. Then see if I'm motivated to do the rest of the advanced badges.

Looks like you have all of the basic badges already! Welcome to the Super Player Club!

Germany, I know you don‘t hear it the first time, but please fix your trains. I mean my ICE not moving for 2 hours and then me and half of the passengers taking Flixbus to the end station because of Deutsche Bahn not providing any alternatives are one thing but the power outlets in the train not charging my Switch and me not being able to play Pikmin 4 is unacceptable.

Germany, I know you don‘t hear it the first time, but please fix your trains. I mean my ICE not moving for 2 hours and then me and half of the passengers taking Flixbus to the end station because of Deutsche Bahn not providing any alternatives are one thing but the power outlets in the train not charging my Switch and me not being able to play Pikmin 4 is unacceptable.

Sir, this is a Mario thread. Pikmin is 2 stations further

SMB 3 badges and some others: @VolcanicDynamo

01-E1-B612-AFB1-42-EA-9-C8-E-DBB0-A2-AF35-A2.jpg

71089-E03-6720-4800-A3-B1-E64-D0-BDF48-E3.jpg

A5763967-697-F-4043-A916-AACDBE1-E4-E7-F.jpg

C147-F7-BD-1-D53-4-D4-F-9970-DA04-DB45-C377.jpg

D8692-D21-DDD9-4033-B3-FE-BD8-A92153-DF5.jpg

F15-D393-A-6624-4797-9-A0-D-81-F6-ADD7-F313.jpg

D806-F9-F2-1-EAB-4684-8-DAD-C886478-DAC72.jpg

22382-FA7-C97-A-4-A89-9109-6-CBA54408393.jpg

4412-BB38-6-EDE-4076-A081-845227731-BD1.jpg

398-A053-D-E290-42-E1-B2-B6-1-F8964-DF465-E.jpg

Well, that's Super Mario Advance 2 wrapped up! It's Super Mario World...on the go! I have a lot of love for this one because this is how I got introduced to Super Mario World - the first version of my favorite game. This was the first time I played it all the way as Luigi. And unless I am deliberately going out of my way to challenge myself, it will also be the last time, since I much prefer Mario's physics over the floaty SMB2-style Luigi.

Super Luigi World (Final Score: 3,224,500)

Dragon Coin Collector

I can delay it no longer. It's time for Yoshi's Island. Good luck, me!
Do you have to play every level as Luigi to get this ending or is it just the final one? Trying to reverse 30 years of muscle memory playing this game as Mario, and it’s not easy!

I have an update on Yoshi's Island.

For most of the games in these challenges, I've beaten them in about five or less hours. Super Mario Advance 4 is the exception due to having World-e (and doing that with both Mario and Luigi), but that plus a play of Mario 3 was still like...10 hours.

I am currently four and a half hours into Yoshi's Island 100%. I am not even halfway through the game yet.

I may have made a huge mistake.
Do you have to play every level as Luigi to get this ending or is it just the final one? Trying to reverse 30 years of muscle memory playing this game as Mario, and it’s not easy!
There's no formal rule, but I think if you can get enough exits to get to the end of the game with Luigi, I'll allow it.

I have an update on Yoshi's Island.

For most of the games in these challenges, I've beaten them in about five or less hours. Super Mario Advance 4 is the exception due to having World-e (and doing that with both Mario and Luigi), but that plus a play of Mario 3 was still like...10 hours.

I am currently four and a half hours into Yoshi's Island 100%. I am not even halfway through the game yet.

I may have made a huge mistake.

There's no formal rule, but I think if you can get enough exits to get to the end of the game with Luigi, I'll allow it.
I finally got used to it but don’t like some of the yoshi stuff with Luigi. Also, the music downgrade from GBA is so noticeable in this game compared to some others!

Edit: also, I didn’t get the warp Zoner badge. Didn’t want to assign myself :)

SMW Badges:

Top of the Giant Gate
9-EF0677-B-5-D48-428-F-88-B6-B58-F6-BF5523-A.jpg

Freshly Hatched
8-D314956-CA21-412-A-BBCC-B01-DE820968-E.jpg
7-DE8-A6-F9-5-A6-E-41-C2-B567-CD4895-C63-EED.jpg

Over the Moon
B41-CBFF7-EC45-4603-8508-6-EE3506-EEABB.jpg

! Switch Stomper
AC26-DED5-FCB1-48-A4-B443-2826080-A3-A25.jpg
FC030531-ED4-F-4-D62-A1-DC-DB6-A2-D9-F9185.jpg

Savior of Dinosaur Land and Super Luigi Explorer (the next picture also shows I cleared everything with Luigi)
F4059799-0-D27-4547-B39-A-D2-BD59-ED7841.jpg

Dinosaur Land Explorer

889-E2161-E422-4170-A118-9-BBC91-EC07-F4.jpg

Final score of 2,241,950 @VolcanicDynamo

@VolcanicDynamo This should also give me the High Score Chaser badge. Now to do Yoshi’s Island and the Lost Levels (think I can get those done in time. Maybe with the e reader levels). Don’t have a way to play Super Mario Land so guess that one is out.

@VolcanicDynamo This should also give me the High Score Chaser badge. Now to do Yoshi’s Island and the Lost Levels (think I can get those done in time. Maybe with the e reader levels). Don’t have a way to play Super Mario Land so guess that one is out.
Good luck with Lost Levels and Yoshi's Island! You're gonna need it - but you'll hopefully have a great time!

@VolcanicDynamo thank you organizing this! I finally had a gap in my gaming itinerary that I could squeeze in about 30-45 minutes of SMB1 tonight. And I had a blast cruising through the first 4 worlds to scoop up a number of screenshots for the badges. Really appreciate there being a number of badges that don’t require a lot of time investment!

Tomorrow night I'm planning on hitting the 2s after posting my screenshots from tonight.

I love how we’re also getting a Wonder Direct in the middle of this! This is the perfect way to get hype for Thursday.

Lost levels and Yoshi’s Island down. Plowed through them on every break and late into the night. This completes every mainline game except Super Mario Land, which I don’t have access to (@VolcanicDynamo maybe when it’s eventually on NSO we can have a one day relaunch for those badges and the completionist one). I probably will go through world e to at least get a badge or 2 from those before calling it quits. 914050 Lost Levels total score.

Peace is Paved
B3-D2-B8-A8-B961-48-FF-A4-D0-0-AED9-A69-AB56.jpg

Fantasy World
04-A0-D133-DF1-D-4758-8834-0-BB6-C17-BFA39.jpg

For Super Players
780-AA933-8-E4-B-4-B43-8-FD4-B1174765-FA9-F.jpg

Time the Goal Ring
9-F470219-2-FF4-415-A-9341-584-D8-EE3-AFA9.jpg

Mini Battle Champ
7324-E581-4-EBC-439-F-A75-A-0143-A9-BAE31-D.jpg

Perfectionist
48-BCE5-E1-2205-4-FEA-B20-C-BD1-BFD5-A206-D.jpg

Halfway to Baby Luigi/Brothers Reunited
F889-B514-E660-41-DE-A4-E4-D75-F8532-EEE2.jpg

Extra Credit
6351-D01-C-C91-B-4-FD7-857-C-F6-E802486-AC5.jpg

I'm gonna try and get as many achievements as I can in the remaining two weeks. Decided to go for the easier ones for now, but maybe I'll give the more elaborate ones a shot when I have some more free time.

IMG_0324.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0322.jpg

IMG_0321.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

EDIT: Decided to put my nose to the grindstone and do a few more. This is probably the last batch of SMB1 achievements I'll go for.

IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg
IMG_0329.jpg
IMG_0328.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg
IMG_0336.jpg
IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0334.jpg
IMG_0333.jpg
IMG_0332.jpg

(does the world 4-2 warp zone count as a coin heaven?)

Last edited:
Day 2 of attempts! I started by focusing on SMBUSA - I'm not really fond of this one, but I gave it an honest shot.
IMG_0345.jpg
IMG_0344.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg
IMG_0341.jpg

I forgot to get the "before" pic when starting the fight, so I used NSO's rewind feature to get it after the fact. I didn't use it to undo hits, though - Plumber's honor!
IMG_0342.jpg
IMG_0343.jpg
Like I said, I'm not a huge fan of this game, so I probably won't do as many of its achievements compared to SMB1 and Lost Levels (the latter of which I dislike a lot more, ironically enough). I could see myself attempting Foraging in Subspace and Bonus Chance Jackpot later on, but I'm leaving the completion achievements on the backburner for now. Next stop - Mario 3!

Finally got around to knocking out a lot of these challenges.

General + SMW

DKbAY8W.jpg

yeul5ki.jpg

5DYU66R.jpg

kX838pe.jpg

o5W4QwG.jpg

OV10dsE.jpg

SMB

zlOzpcP.jpg
^I accidentally took the screenshot when I defeated the false Bowser instead of next to the Toad, does this still count or should I redo it?

TRwdiwd.jpg

SML2

DBpdelV.jpg

MrY5suV.jpg

Z7gauMg.jpg

SMB3

gqY8zYA.jpg

f2vWCwM.jpg

ODdyy3T.jpg

Yoshi's Island

NPHLbDk.jpg

8P8b4qK.jpg

K4DrWvA.jpg

Time for Mario 3! Admittedly, I only had time for a quick run, so I only played Worlds 1 and 8 and skipped the rest with Warp Zones, but I might attempt a full run later on.

IMG_0354.jpg

IMG_0353.jpg

IMG_0352.jpg

(not too proud of this score tbh; only submitting for prosperity’s sake)
IMG_0351.jpg

So is beating Mario 1 on hard just doing the second quest they give you? I assume so, right? And you activate it through the world select in the main menu? Time to cheat and start at World 8 :p

I remembered this was a thing, and since I had some free time, I played through Super Mario Land 2 today.

Ring the Bonus Bell

WhL6xK1.jpg

Take Back the Golden Coins and Wallop Wario:

Gd6mlvu.jpg

Mario Land Explorer:

bTeEvrX.jpg

I also got the 99-up jackpot, which should count for Turtle Tipping and hopefully Coin Collector as well?

8pfSQh9.jpg

Which I suppose this also is good for Let's-a Go!

I hadn't played this in quite some time. I can't remember whether I had this on 3DS, but, if not, I probably hadn't played this since the 90s. I guess as a kid, I didn't realize how short it really was, since I would just replay it a lot. It's still a fun and weird game.

I did a few more while playing through the e-reader levels for Super Mario Bros 3:

World-e Explorer:

ANBlAyP.jpg

WDzaXxx.jpg

WqeZVNe.jpg

YZ2j7DZ.jpg

bJ9ZWjV.jpg
I may go back and get the coins I missed, but not sure yet. I also did a couple general SMB3 ones that applied while I was playing through those.

Three of a Card:
JjF1PUi.jpg

and Koopalings Go Boom-Boom:
b3abByn.jpg

Overall, the e-reader levels were pretty fun. It was cool to see stuff from SMB2 USA and SMW integrated into some of the levels.

Last ones for this event for me (unless we get SML) @VolcanicDynamo

World-e Explorer/Advance Coin Collector/e-Coin Collector

754-AD962-18-CC-4-D0-C-9-AE4-8-BB225-EEB617.jpg

These were definitely some of the most fun levels nintendo has made. Glad I did these.

B-Dasher and Top of the Flagpole:

NHzPdkS.jpg

Retainer Retriever:
Q4qJnBS.jpg

Fire Flower Power:

6JstqPg.jpg

Your Quest is Over:

Uv2Fq5H.jpg

A New Quest Completed:

haCe53z.jpg

X68C3rv.jpg

Fireworks Show:

BuoyLNI.jpg

Exploring the Kingdom's Secrets:

CLQAflE.jpg

f2lxY1B.jpg

yVepWYF.jpg

KxQx7mT.jpg

z0bcZyX.jpg

WUQkwpX.jpg

Retainer Retriever

F5W4r-kaYAMdrJl

Your Quest Is Over

F5W3QjXaYAANdbc

A New Quest Completed

F5W3QjSaYAAY-pd

I'm not sure if I screwed up with the proof for completing the second quest. When it said the "newer versions differentiate between them" I thought that included the emulated NES game on NSO, and that only the NES cartridge version was the issue.

I do have proof that it was my second quest, but if I need to redo it and take a picture of a Buzzy Beetle just let me know!:
F5W3QjYaYAAUEam

So I finally beat my first 2D Mario game not starting with Yoshi's and ending with Island. Overall, that was incredibly fun! Definitely one of the best NES games I've played. It's held up really well (for the most part, looking at you 7-4 and 8-4).

Onto Mario 2 USA. Question: Do people generally prefer the Mario All-Stars version on SNES, or the NES original? I've tried to play the NES versions since the art style looks more natural to how they were intended, but something about the SNES version of 2 looks very natural and cool to me :).

These past couple of months really kept me busy, but I did squeeze in some Yoshi's Island for this event.

uBkXbO7.jpg

mqITrQU.jpg

Please ignore that one 94 I forgot how to get those last few coins haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom