• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Starfield |ST| The Stars Don't Look Bigger, But They Do Look Brighter

I've definitely sunk skill points and money into ship building, and my problems with inventory are a lot less now that I have 3000+ on my ship. It will be better eventually, but my ship is a bit of an ugly mess right now. Since leveling up the ship parts skill requires buying unique parts, it incentivizes doing things like buying lots of parts that don't match, or finding cheap parts that can be stuck on without affecting much.

Be sure to make your ship on an outpost. It has more options. You might need to buy some parts elsewhere though but slot is located in Outpost launchpads.

I was able to build a solid A class ship based off of someone endgame C Class build. I have no points in shipbuilding stuff, but i got a very nice ship that performs well and can be upgraded.

Interesting. I knew different places offered different parts, but I didn't know there was an advantage to doing it at my own place.

I do enjoy building the ship, but I think the game overstresses mobility. At least, it's always complaining about my ship being too massive and lacking mobility, but I haven't been running across opponents that are using greater mobility to their advantage.

I’ll probably be backlogging this but I’m giving it some love this weekend thanks to game pass.

The UI missteps (landing on a planet is ridiculous) and loading screens sure make a bad first impression, but I can’t help but feel some of the critical takes I’ve seen are too harsh.

I think I'm pretty done with the game now having played a bit into NG+.
Many people online really hyped up NG+ as like "this is when the game really begins" and I have to say that I really don't agree.. It's kinda neat that they have a story reason for NG+ but other than that I don't see much reason to keep playing since the gameplay is basically the same. And it's tedious to get back to the same material wealth since the best way of getting money is going through all the faction quests again.

Overall my take on Starfield is that it's a flawed but sometimes very enjoyable game. Going through the big quest lines is fun, I think. The writing is not great, almost every system is very flawed or compromised, exploration is not a thing. But all those complaints withstanding I still thill enjoyed just playing. I would give it, drumroll, 7/10!

Compared to the two other big "open world RPGs" of the same type I've played recently I would say that Cyberpunk is 8/10, Hogwarts Legacy is 6/10 and Starfield sits comfortably closer to Cyberpunk than Hogwarts.

I am all for the ambition of the game but it just don't deliver on anything to the degree that the player wants. I can absolutely see that some people will just make this their forever game and that updates and DLC will make it better with time. But as it stands it just has so many flaws. The most egregious I think is just how boring and tedious it is to collect the powers. Personally I would really have preferred if meaningful exploration was a thing also. And that movement and gameplay was more fluent and fun.

It's strange how this game has so many things to complain about but still can be kinda fun.

I beat the game yesterday, then proceeded to play about two hours of NG+. One of my favorites this year by far, and while I'll probably play less now, I'll definitely keep coming back to this game for a while.

I'm putting time into it here and there. It's not really grabbing my attention and keeping it like their other games have, but the undercover in the Crimson Fleet questline is decent.

I finished upgrading my ship parts skill and started seriously going for a decent build, and am pretty disappointed by the cockpit selection. I was initially looking for some that are roomier and have more crew seats, but I wasn't even considering that using them in first-person would look different thanks to the window design. And having tried 4 other cockpits, 3 were definitely worse in giving a smaller view. The Taiyo one was basically a tie: some parts of the screen less covered, some more covered.

I’m going to finally finish FF16 this week, which means I’ll be able to start Starfield. I’m so curious to play it for myself after all the mixed reception it’s received across the internet. I’m sure I’m going to enjoy it. Or at least I hope so!

Loooong-term thinking, but I wonder how they might handle a Starfield 2. Elder Scrolls and Fallout have generally taken place in a fairly limited area, so for a new game they pick a different place in the world (with occasional overlap) and are free to do what they want. Here the game seems to cover the high points of almost all of known humanity, and the star systems relatively near there. For a sequel to make sense without centering around recognizable New Atlantis and Akila City again it seems like they'd need to double the time into the future it takes place, sudden "we found a wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant" discovery opening up a new region, or another catastrophe of the kind that moved everyone off Earth.

I feel like I'm getting close to wrapping up the main faction quest lines and will probably do so around level 50, so pretty crazy to know there are already achievements for reaching levels 75 and 100. Will probably make more sense after more DLC. Also I've still mostly avoided too much information about how NG+ works so I'm not fully informed.

Booted up the game today to find a horrifying bug had stuck my game: my character had been turned into a twink.

/s

It wasn't actually a big deal but it was definitely strange. For some reason my character's body size reverted to small dab in the middle of the circle. Had to spend some pocket change to fix it but in the process discovered I missed the tattoos before, so now I've got a nice brightly colored face tattoo.

So in every universe there are the Artifacts, which when combined allow someone or some group to become a Starborn and end up in other universes. So every Starborn we've seen is essentially in a "New Game+" of their own? Gotta say, their universes must be pretty pathetic if the people starting fights and going down in five seconds are the best and brightest an entire universe could send.

I'm unclear on how further interuniverse travel is supposed to work. The Hunter and the Emissary seem to have known each other for a long time, so the fact that one of them wins doesn't seem to have stopped the other from following them to another universe. I briefly considered that thanks to the craziness of infinity maybe from each of their perspectives they were always the victor and the loser ended up stuck in the old universe. But considering I just Persuaded the Hunter to give me Artifacts with one of the reasonings being that he'd have other chances to take other mes out in other universes, doesn't seem like he's going to be stuck here. Surprising that they could both have gone this long without one killing the other, but maybe Unity loves Itchy/Scratchy relationships.

Also not clear why the Starborn seemed to show up so late or have such a hard time competing with Constellation, especially if many of them have seen this happen over and over. Is a universe unavailable for them to arrive in before natives start picking up Artifacts? Even if they're showing up late, though, with their technology doesn't seem like it should be hard to steal from an unsuspecting group of under a dozen. Or beat them to the punch, since they should have an idea of where Artifacts can be found. Even if they're somewhat randomized, seems after multiple repeats they'd be better/faster at detecting them than Vlad.

The in-game setting for resolution scaling only goes down to 50%, which made trying out DLSS Ultra Performance impossible. However, I've learned that on PC it's dead easy to change it externally. My Games/Starfield/StarfieldPrefs.ini has an fRenderResolutionScaleFactor= setting right up top where 50% is 0.5000 and you can change it to almost anything. It didn't take going much below 50% for me to stop gaining frames anyway, but it did allow me to take this set of screenshots going down to 3%. Below that it crashed.

Was thinking about just playing on Console until more PC updates came out and converted my saves...and no...once I played with mods on PC there was no going back to console. The filter and color on console just looks to wierd to me now and the lack of FOV is wierd.

I’m actually going to finally start Starfield tonight! It’s amazing that it took me a month to get through my slate of games to finally clear space for this one - and just in time for the onslaught of October games too! 😩

We’ll see if I can get past the character creation screen tonight. I want to try and make Wash from Firefly. I’m sure I’ll get impatient and give up, but I’m still gonna try lol.

Ok, here he is. Folks, meet my horrible copy of Hoban Washburne.

bbbe210b-6997-48da-af0d-137d2c80934a.png

For comparison, here’s the picture of Alan Tudyk that I was using as a reference.

R.03546b50e4946ca0c3429cf4ccfaa972

It’s not perfect, not remotely. I could probably have gotten closer if I spent more time on it. But I think thirty minutes is my maximum when it comes to character creation screens, and at a certain point you just gotta roll with it.

I used to be a big proponent of character creation with a lot of options... but now games like this take it waaaay beyond what I have any skill in working with. I'm just trying to create a guy who looks vaguely like me, but hell if I can figure out 5 different nose sliders to get there.

Early impressions are.. not great? Everything seems really complicated. The menus seem complex. Switching weapons is a chore. Why are there a bajillion types of ammo? Why does it feel so confusing and take so much menuing to plot a course and make a jump? Why does every location feel so small? I only just got to New Atlantis so maybe it opens up, but so far everywhere I’ve been feels like a bespoke little area, and not a vast open space.

Visually, it looks fine on Series S. But the font was unreadably small on my 1080p TV. Amazingly there’s an accessibility option to increase the font size (imagine that, a AAA game that lets you make the font bigger!), and that helps a lot, but it’s still pretty small. It feels like I need to be deliberate with my camera movements, or else I’m gonna get motion sick. Maybe that’s the 30fps? And speaking of frame rate, I’ve noticed a good amount of frame drops in the two hours I’ve played so far. So that’s disappointing.

Overall, it’s been …fine. It hasn’t grabbed me. And tonight I was reluctant to pick it up. The menus and systems are a bit intimidating. I’m sure I’ll adapt if I stick with it, but this has been a rough start.

Early impressions are.. not great? Everything seems really complicated. The menus seem complex. Switching weapons is a chore. Why are there a bajillion types of ammo? Why does it feel so confusing and take so much menuing to plot a course and make a jump? Why does every location feel so small? I only just got to New Atlantis so maybe it opens up, but so far everywhere I’ve been feels like a bespoke little area, and not a vast open space.

Visually, it looks fine on Series S. But the font was unreadably small on my 1080p TV. Amazingly there’s an accessibility option to increase the font size (imagine that, a AAA game that lets you make the font bigger!), and that helps a lot, but it’s still pretty small. It feels like I need to be deliberate with my camera movements, or else I’m gonna get motion sick. Maybe that’s the 30fps? And speaking of frame rate, I’ve noticed a good amount of frame drops in the two hours I’ve played so far. So that’s disappointing.

Overall, it’s been …fine. It hasn’t grabbed me. And tonight I was reluctant to pick it up. The menus and systems are a bit intimidating. I’m sure I’ll adapt if I stick with it, but this has been a rough start.
I don’t love the game, and I still need to get back to it as I put it aside for other things, but I will say that it definitely has a very rough beginning and gets better. Still not enough to really hook me and have me eager to play a lot more, but once it opens up some and you start some of the factions it improves a lot.

I stayed up till 1:30 last night playing, and it's midnight tonight and I just now reluctantly turned the game off so I can get to bed. I spent the evening worming my way into an assistant's job with a mining company on Mars to help the miners get some new equipment, and along the way I persuaded some pirates to give me incriminating evidence against the governor, which I gave to the authorities and then afterwords hounded the governor for five thousand bucks in hush money even though I'd already ratted him out. This game is awesome so far.

Latest patch just hit today, includes FOV sliders for both PC & Xbox, and of course for 1st & 3rd person view.

Great to have, to be honest, but sadly the "Incoming Weather" status effect bug isn't gone at all and while it isn't doing anything to your character, it is still annoying ^^.

I stayed up till 1:30 last night playing, and it's midnight tonight and I just now reluctantly turned the game off so I can get to bed. I spent the evening worming my way into an assistant's job with a mining company on Mars to help the miners get some new equipment, and along the way I persuaded some pirates to give me incriminating evidence against the governor, which I gave to the authorities and then afterwords hounded the governor for five thousand bucks in hush money even though I'd already ratted him out. This game is awesome so far.

Alright! Good to hear you're getting more into it. The game is definitely odd with how it funnels you through the very early parts. Once you choose a path or two after the let you go on New Atlantis I think most of the games positives shine.

Latest patch just hit today, includes FOV sliders for both PC & Xbox, and of course for 1st & 3rd person view.

Great to have, to be honest, but sadly the "Incoming Weather" status effect bug isn't gone at all and while it isn't doing anything to your character, it is still annoying ^^.

I'll give it a try on my PC but I don't think I'll do it for first person. I don't want to potentially sacrifice anymore performance 😅

I had a great time with this game, but I've been in the frustrating position of really wanting to keep playing it, but also waiting for patches to fix or address some of my issues before I keep playing.

Spider-Man will probably prove to be distracting enough that I can wait until the first DLC.

Last edited:
I’ve spent about a dozen hours with the game, mostly sticking to the main quest and doing some side quests here and there. I’ve been having a great time, but I’ve been reluctant to branch out and explore, or engage with any of the game’s other features like outposts or ship building because they seem so intimidating to me.

I’ve spent about a dozen hours with the game, mostly sticking to the main quest and doing some side quests here and there. I’ve been having a great time, but I’ve been reluctant to branch out and explore, or engage with any of the game’s other features like outposts or ship building because they seem so intimidating to me.
You'll probably have a great time if you start doing lots of side quests, as they're the best part of the game imo. This is especially true with the faction quests, they're so good.

Shipbuilding in particular is very fun and rewarding, though a lot of the options are gated by skills.

Outposts are interesting, but they don't really have a larger purpose right now, other than facilitating endgame crafting grinding for experience and money. That said, it is fun that you can domesticate some animals, depending on the planet you build on.

Outposts I never found worth the effort, really. Ship building I got pretty into, but it was a pretty steep curve. First spending enough time with the editor to really grok how the parts could connect together, and what kind of balancing acts you have to put up with (add a lot of storage... now you have to add a lot of engines and landing gear). Then there's that a bunch of parts either need several levels of skill before you can buy them, or several level of pilot skill before you can fly ships with B and C reactors. After all that was done, I wished there were some tougher space opponents out there.

The newest patch officially released yesterday: https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfi...tarfield-update-1-8-86-notes-november-20-2023

I hopped in briefly to check a few of my lingering bugs, none of those were fixed, but they weren't mentioned in the patch notes so I expected that. It's still very strange to have an entire chunk of New Atlantis geometry missing lol.

I think I will properly play a NG+ run when the first DLC hits, by then hopefully the bigger bugs will be fixed. I suppose I am lucky in that most of my bugged quests are smaller side quests, but not being able to finish off the Temples is pretty annoying, as it's one thing I actually want to do before going into NG+.

I play on Series S so I can't really speak to performance improvements. It did seem to be running a little better, but I moved the Series S back downstairs so I'm using a different TV anyway.

Sometime in December I'll return to Starfield to finish the main game. Curious what gains I'll see on PC.

That might not be until mid-December as I'm still going through Star Ocean TSSR.

The "Imminent weather condition" glitch is still up. I loaded my game, went to a bed, slept for 24 hours straight, Barret said thanks for the incredible night and behold : still affected !

How hard can it be to just remove a status effect that shouldn't stay active when the effect is gone is beyond me.

"If Wether_Condition = 0 Then Status_Weather_Condition = 0"

I miss BASIC.

The new patch adds official DLSS support, though not very different from what was possible with mods a day or so after release. Toggling on DLSS activates another option with the standard Balanced/Performance/etc. options rather than the resolution slider FSR2 uses. And for whatever reason, they changed the FSR2 slider so it no longer slides from 50-100%, but 10-100%. Anyway, DLSS Ultra Performance still looks pretty good, but I don't gain any frames anyway as CPU becomes more of a limit for me by then.

Somebody at Bethesda posted an update on what to expect for updates on Reddit.
Hey everyone, first, we read all the feedback here and greatly appreciate it and all the time and thought you put into the game. This small update was to mostly address the “pet-asteroid" so many asked about following our last larger update, and we wanted to get that out before the holiday.
We’ve been hard at work on many of the issues you’ve posted, and expect an update early next year that will include a large number of “in-progress” quest fixes as well as FSR3 and XeSS. Though we fixed several quest issues from occurring, in-progress quest fixes are much harder to fix and we’ve built a new system to correct those without you having to roll back your save.
We’re also hard at work on many of new features you asked for, from city maps, to mod support, to all new ways of traveling (stay tuned!). These will be rolling out with a regular cadence of fixes and updates we expect to have roughly every six weeks. If something can be done in a smaller hotfix in between (like the asteroid), and we feel it’s safe, we’ll get one of those out as well. Safe is the key here. We do take a lot of time to test even the smallest change in a game this large and dynamic.
Hope this information helps. If there are items you want more info on, or issues to make us aware of, keep posting here or our official Discord. Thanks again for all your support of us and the game.

Sounds like a good direction for continued support and fixes.

First update of 2024 coming to Steam Beta next week, and then to the general public around January 31st:

(I posted a Threads link because it doesn't require an account and I can't link to a discord post lol).

First update of 2024 coming to Steam Beta next week, and then to the general public around January 31st:

(I posted a Threads link because it doesn't require an account and I can't link to a discord post lol).

No QoL features and still no Creation Kit / Mod support for this patch, sadly.

I guess this is for the late February / early March update.
Also waiting for the "Weather condition" status effect to be gone, one day ^o^

The latest patch dropped a few days ago:

I hopped in today to do some testing on what is and isn't fixed. My biggest issues (missing New Atlantis Floor and Vladimir not giving me new temples to find) aren't fixed, however I went through and checked a bunch of other old quest bugs, and Worlds Apart, Rough Landings, and Tapping the Grid are all fixed for me, which was a nice surprise since many weren't mentioned in the patch notes. The ECS Constant is sadly still MIA.

It also didn't crash at all on Series S today, so I think there were some improvements made there.

I'm not holding out hope for the New Atlantis floor bug to be fixed (aside from going into NG+), but I'd really like to get all the Vladimir temples before rolling into a new playthrough.

It was nice to revisit the game, and I'm excited to properly jump back in whenever the Shattered Space DLC drops.

I'm watching Greg Miller interview Todd Howard right now and Todd mentioned offhand that he thinks a big update for Starfield should be announced this week. He also said the DLC should come out in the fall, so anybody hotly anticipating that can temper their expectations lol.

I'm watching Greg Miller interview Todd Howard right now and Todd mentioned offhand that he thinks a big update for Starfield should be announced this week. He also said the DLC should come out in the fall, so anybody hotly anticipating that can temper their expectations lol.
I know with Todd the golden rule is "Don't belie his lives" but eh, No Man's Sky was a much bigger disaster at launch and heavily promoted by Sony.
Banned Game 2077 was an even bigger mess and got removed from both Sony & Xbox stores & refunds galore.

I just hope the -REAL- QoL features (Dear Todd, having new photo mode expressions & filters # "New QoL improvements").

I wonder if the dlc release will be treated as a kind of soft relaunch, I remember talk about them adding new kind of traversal last last year, which would be a pretty monumental change to the game's loop

Update 4 is available for Steam BETA (24.9 GB) :

Steam & Xbox Series X|S :
Maps are now fully detailed.
Difficulty of the game can be tweaked. XP gains will adapt regarding what you choose.
Tweaks include carry weight, vendor money and a lot more (the list is quite big).
New Extreme difficulty.
You can now fully design your ship interior.
New "Blank hubs" added for your ships so you can make it look exactly like you want with the design feature.
When using the Scanner in town, you can now see every shops, including the "Enhance" shops.

Xbox Series X|S (Update coming later in May) :
Performance mode added.
Framerate lock : 30 & 60 FPS added.
VRR 30, 40 & 60 added.
Note :
If you want to play in Performance mode at 60 FPS, the game actually recommands you to have a VRR compatible TV / monitor to avoid screen tearing.

Coming soon :
Ground vehicles for planetary exploration. YES.

DLC coming between September & December.
Creation Kit is coming very soon, some Creation members have been approved.

Last edited:

Difficulty of the game can be tweaked. XP gains will adapt regarding what you choose.
Tweaks include carry weight, vendor money and a lot more (the list is quite big).
New Extreme difficulty.
New "Blank hubs" added for your ships so you can make it look exactly like you want with the design feature.
When using the Scanner in town, you can now see every shops, including the "Enhance" shops.

Xbox Series X|S :
Performance mode added.
VRR 40 & VRR 60 option added.

Coming soon :

does the bit about the maps include city maps?

New Extreme difficulty.

Xbox Series X|S :
Performance mode added.
VRR 40 & VRR 60 option added.

Coming soon :

Nice ill might get back to it now it has 40fps option for me!

Back
Top Bottom