• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Starfield |ST| The Stars Don't Look Bigger, But They Do Look Brighter

Think I'm a little over 1 hour in.

Impressions so far are ... quite mid?

There was no "Are you done" prompt after the character creator so I named myself Player.
Gunplay is decent, but there is no weapon wheel, it seems like? (EDIT: There is, never mind)
Inventory management and UI already looks like a mess.
Space combat wasn't very fun.
And while Bethesda has not exactly been at the forefront of character modeling and animation, I've been so spoiled these past few years that I can't help but feel like the characters in Starfield are slightly uncanny.

But I have no denying that things will pick up for me once I get to New Atlantis.

Last edited:
Really liking it so far. Though a lot more loading than I was expecting.

Highlight so far has been visiting my parents to discover they look 40 years younger than me.

Really liking it so far. Though a lot more loading than I was expecting.

Highlight so far has been visiting my parents to discover they look 40 years younger than me.
I completely missed any sort of age slider and didn't make my character too gnarly, so my parents reasonably look like they could be my parents (I'm particularly impressed by how they look like they could reasonably have produced someone that looks like my character).

Honestly, having doting parents in a game like this is nice, it's very uncommon.

Excellent OP. I managed to get the game preloaded on my PC this morning and am just going to wait until the 6th.

Looking forward to this new experience.

so far my biggest complaint is new Atlantis is way too big from the barebones mape we have making navigation a nightmare and there are too many generic NPC making finding the unique ones harder to get quests

so far my biggest complaint is new Atlantis is way too big from the barebones mape we have making navigation a nightmare and there are too many generic NPC making finding the unique ones harder to get quests
Yeah the map doesn't seem great. I just got to New Atlantis and I'm having some of the same issue, but I had it on the research planet as well. Most everything else, though, I'm liking quite a bit.

I've gotten to the first enemy base area, and definitely getting stronger Fallout vibes than Elder Scrolls (which is to be expected I imagine given the sci-fi setting). Liking what I've played, though I do agree that the tutorial feels a bit generic. Can't wait for the game to open up a bit more.

I'm thoroughly engrossed now, and I'm still not that far in (only level 7). Have some crew for my ship now, and a shotgun I quite like.

I liked the lock picking mini game, but the advanced ones are kind of hurting my brain lol. I'm sure I'll get better at it, but it's definitely a little frustrating to have to leave things locked because I ran out of digipicks.

I've gotten to the first enemy base area, and definitely getting stronger Fallout vibes than Elder Scrolls (which is to be expected I imagine given the sci-fi setting). Liking what I've played, though I do agree that the tutorial feels a bit generic. Can't wait for the game to open up a bit more.
It definitely feels a bit more like Fallout in Space so far as opposed to Skyrim in Space. Although I started as the Ronin and have an axe that attacks quickly so I've been playing around with melee combat - not sure it'll be worth it, though.

The fact that most of the weapons are guns, plus gaining exp points visibly to level up, definitely makes it feel more like Fallout. I do find the skill system interesting though, that's definitely a more Skyrim-esque approach. Makes me think about how to spend my skill points carefully, which is nice.

Put in a couple of more hours this morning. I'm not at the point where the game has its hooks in me, but I'm willing to give it more time.

I just can't get over the characters. Everything about them, from the animations to the overall dialogue delivery, feels so... stiff and unnatural. It's hard to get attached or invested in any of them, including the constellation members, and it sort of breaks the motivation to really take the step to fully immerse myself into the world. Like, walking around New Atlantis is awesome in terms of soaking in vibes, but there's no real incentive for me to seek out people to talk to.

The exploration, though, is more or less exactly what I wanted. I went on a detour to another planet, landed in a comfy settlement, had a drink, ventured out towards an "unknown" map marker, forund a camp, cleared out some bandits, looted a bit, went back, had another drink, eavesdropped on some conversations, and left. It felt very gratifying to just do that little self-made adventure.

I have done a few quests and I do appreciate the moral ambiguity present in some of them. Like, I'm all ready to play the game as goodie two-shoes, but the fact that it's at times really hard to do so makes it a tricky challenge of sorts.

It definitely feels a bit more like Fallout in Space so far as opposed to Skyrim in Space. Although I started as the Ronin and have an axe that attacks quickly so I've been playing around with melee combat - not sure it'll be worth it, though.

As someone who has never touched a Bethesda game before, I feel like asking, what would you say is the main differences between Fallout and Skyrim?

First time I'm playing a Bethesda game. It feels like Game Freak/Pokemon situation but jumped ahead a couple of generations. Like technically/design wise the game feels quite dated. Maybe I'm being unfair, I'm still having a lot of fun 3 or 4 hours in.

Really dislike the whole walking past conversations and then missions are suddenly added to the menu when I barely noticed what the original conversation was about.

I've already done the same dungeon twice which feels a bit ridiculous considering the scope of the game. It was the exact same too, same enemies in the same positions, same companion quotes, same assets, same loot. Hope that's not going to happen a lot more often.

As someone who has never touched a Bethesda game before, I feel like asking, what would you say is the main differences between Fallout and Skyrim?
Skyrim is more about open exploration and adventuring and discovering new things all over the world. Fallout is more about NPCs sending you to random interiors where the game because heavily shooting focused and somewhat repetitive because all interiors are like tight mazes. Skyrim promotes freedom whereas fallout promotes mission chasing and a more strict level of play.

Starfield is definitely more of a fallout game. I don't get any Skyrim vibes from it at all.

As someone who prefers Fallout to The Elder Scrolls this has me more excited.

Put in a couple of more hours this morning. I'm not at the point where the game has its hooks in me, but I'm willing to give it more time.

I just can't get over the characters. Everything about them, from the animations to the overall dialogue delivery, feels so... stiff and unnatural. It's hard to get attached or invested in any of them, including the constellation members, and it sort of breaks the motivation to really take the step to fully immerse myself into the world. Like, walking around New Atlantis is awesome in terms of soaking in vibes, but there's no real incentive for me to seek out people to talk to.

The exploration, though, is more or less exactly what I wanted. I went on a detour to another planet, landed in a comfy settlement, had a drink, ventured out towards an "unknown" map marker, forund a camp, cleared out some bandits, looted a bit, went back, had another drink, eavesdropped on some conversations, and left. It felt very gratifying to just do that little self-made adventure.

I have done a few quests and I do appreciate the moral ambiguity present in some of them. Like, I'm all ready to play the game as goodie two-shoes, but the fact that it's at times really hard to do so makes it a tricky challenge of sorts.

I meant more in terms of vibe and feel - Elder Scrolls games are more about exploration and dungeon crawling, even if they still have guilds and factions and missions and all that. Fallout is more focused on NPCs and quest lines and player choices/persuasion/dialogue, and more recently shooting and such. But I suspect a lot of the reason this feels more like Fallout is just due to it having guns and being more tech-focused.

Anyone who wants to get more of a feel for the history of this world, and what happened in the past, and the different factions and such, I definitely recommend doing the “join the Vanguard” mission in New Atlantis that you run into in the middle of the main quest. It’s kind of a massive info dump but you get a ton of info about a lot of things.

When you join Constellation they make a big deal about how you can still do whatever you want and follow your own conscience and how some of them have spent time in jail... but the moment Sarah is instead your follower, she sure likes to nag every time I swipe a few credits from someone or check out their house when they're not home. Hey, not all members own companies, I've got to keep the med packs flowing somehow.

As I push through the main story they teach you so much about how to interact with the game and the world organically. I'm absolutely loving it and I'm starting to see a lot of the depth appear.

Part of me understands why they designed the game this way when their other guys open up and become complex much quicker, but I also think the opening six or so hours of mainlining the story to open the game up will turn people off who aren't familiar with bethesdas work.

I accidentally stole a candle, got arrested for it, and then was coerced into infiltrating the Crimson Fleet. I then proceeded to start that process while Sam's daughter was on my ship.

I love this game.

It sounds so freaking awesome. It’s tough to be diligent and wait to finish the game I’m playing before starting Starfield. Gahh.

It sounds so freaking awesome. It’s tough to be diligent and wait to finish the game I’m playing before starting Starfield. Gahh.
I'm liking it quite a bit! Although as has been said by a lot of people, the beginning is pretty slow. But there's so much that I've seen hints of or interesting things that I can't wait to encounter and really dig into the game further. It's a little overwhelming just how massive of a game it seems like it is.

the game give you med paks like it's candy
And yet I am so reckless I keep running out of them lol. Trying to unlock that skill that makes more show up in containers ASAP.

Gotten farther in the main quest now and it's getting interesting. Can't wait to see where this goes. Also well on my way to romancing Barrett, I think, and
the fact that he used to have a husband was a very pleasant surprise.

The game is pretty good at funneling you down some really annoying bottlenecks. Like, a lot of the missions are these combat gauntlets that goes on for what feels like forever. And if I come halfway and run out of med packs/ammo, then it's a bit of a tough luck situation where I either press on and run for my life or I have no choice but to reload a past save and travel halfway across the universe just to get my hands on some meds, which is pretty immersion-breaking. It doesn't help that sometimes, the stores are out of stock, (?) so I have to travel halfway across the universe to check out a store, and then travel halfway across the universe again to check out another store. Which is, again, very immersion-breaking. Another alternative is of course to go off the beaten path and sidequest for a while, but since I'm forced to have Sam tag along. it feels, yet again, sort of immersion-breaking.

It doesn't help that there's some really facepalm-y moments going on mid-combat, such as enemies being able to shoot through doors, the game choosing to despawn Sam, or really inconvenient autosaves (like, one time, the autosave was right before I could pick up some shotgun shells, and then I died a few times, and then the autosave suddenly decided to be after that point, so I had to run through the gauntlet without ammo)

Am I doing things wrong? I'm starting to enjoy the game less and less. For every genuinely awe-inspiring or fun moment, there are two moments that are either frustrating or boring or both.

the game give you med paks like it's candy

Do you mind telling me where to find them? I'm having the complete opposite experience.

The game is pretty good at funneling you down some really annoying bottlenecks. Like, a lot of the missions are these combat gauntlets that goes on for what feels like forever. And if I come halfway and run out of med packs/ammo, then it's a bit of a tough luck situation where I either press on and run for my life or I have no choice but to reload a past save and travel halfway across the universe just to get my hands on some meds, which is pretty immersion-breaking. It doesn't help that sometimes, the stores are out of stock, (?) so I have to travel halfway across the universe to check out a store, and then travel halfway across the universe again to check out another store. Which is, again, very immersion-breaking. Another alternative is of course to go off the beaten path and sidequest for a while, but since I'm forced to have Sam tag along. it feels, yet again, sort of immersion-breaking.

It doesn't help that there's some really facepalm-y moments going on mid-combat, such as enemies being able to shoot through doors, the game choosing to despawn Sam, or really inconvenient autosaves (like, one time, the autosave was right before I could pick up some shotgun shells, and then I died a few times, and then the autosave suddenly decided to be after that point, so I had to run through the gauntlet without ammo)

Am I doing things wrong? I'm starting to enjoy the game less and less. For every genuinely awe-inspiring or fun moment, there are two moments that are either frustrating or boring or both.

Do you mind telling me where to find them? I'm having the complete opposite experience.
I haven't done the Sam mission yet (just completed the one with Sarah) but it was pretty similar, and felt fairly difficult sometimes with the combat. Assuming this game is like Skyrim or previous Bethesda games, one thing that can help is to just go do other stuff for a while if you run into a tough mission: Go grab a bunch of missions in some of the towns, or go exploring doing bulletin-board missions, or the like. Level up some, grab a bunch of new skills, get better gear and stock up on healing supplies, that kind of thing. Although I don't yet know how this game does level-scaling. But generally that's how I would play previous Bethesda games: Do a main mission, then go do some other ones and if anything seems too hard or too tough, just put it on the backburner for a little while.

EDIT: Also, if you're having healing trouble, maybe grab some of the health/damage reduction skills

I'm having a great time, but I've encountered a possible bug.

It looks like one of my Companions has gone missing. I recruited Heller during a mission and had assigned him to the Frontier. I later shuffled people around and unassigned him. Now, hours later he is no longer on my Crew list and I have no idea where he went. He's not on Vectera, and I've been checking bars but no dice. I even checked my Activities for a rescue mission like one website suggested.

Other people online seem to also have encountered this, but I have seen no solutions. I'm guessing it's some sort of bug that will hopefully be figured out.

One thing I'm wondering is how viable stealth is in this game. I loved playing Skyrim as a stealth thief, and I'd like to try something similar here, but the issue seems to be that the game often gives you mandatory companions that like to charge in guns blazing. And also low-level stealth doesn't seem to be that great. Maybe it'll be better once it's leveled up?

One thing I'm wondering is how viable stealth is in this game. I loved playing Skyrim as a stealth thief, and I'd like to try something similar here, but the issue seems to be that the game often gives you mandatory companions that like to charge in guns blazing. And also low-level stealth doesn't seem to be that great. Maybe it'll be better once it's leveled up?
doing stealth in a gun-heavy game is nearly impossible unless stealth is the main focus like metal gear and splinter cell, but yeah stealth is pointless in this game

doing stealth in a gun-heavy game is nearly impossible unless stealth is the main focus like metal gear and splinter cell, but yeah stealth is pointless in this game
Well I'm still going to try it, dammit! I want to do sort of a stealth-assassin: Focus on snipers for distance, maybe swords close-combat. Stealth/Security/etc. It might not be GOOD, but it'll be fun

I haven't done the Sam mission yet (just completed the one with Sarah) but it was pretty similar, and felt fairly difficult sometimes with the combat. Assuming this game is like Skyrim or previous Bethesda games, one thing that can help is to just go do other stuff for a while if you run into a tough mission: Go grab a bunch of missions in some of the towns, or go exploring doing bulletin-board missions, or the like. Level up some, grab a bunch of new skills, get better gear and stock up on healing supplies, that kind of thing. Although I don't yet know how this game does level-scaling. But generally that's how I would play previous Bethesda games: Do a main mission, then go do some other ones and if anything seems too hard or too tough, just put it on the backburner for a little while.

EDIT: Also, if you're having healing trouble, maybe grab some of the health/damage reduction skills

After much figurative smashing of head against wall, I finally got through a main story mission and can go adventuring on my own. But yeah, I'm not going to touch the next MSQ for a very long time now.

I've managed to go on a few nice excursions here and there. Finding the abandoned outposts and whatnot that a lot of people don't like for being copy-paste is something I personally find quite enjoyable, for now at least. I care for this aspect of the game more than quests, both side and main ones.

This is the most 7/10 10/10 game I have ever played lol

It is so bad in so many ways that it is shocking. But what it gets right, it gets so right
It's this weird mix of really cool stuff and some elements that feel kind of dated and some problems, but also lots of good stuff too? So yeah, it averages out to about an 8.5/10, which I think is probably about where I'm at right now. But granted I'm still quite early on so it could definitely improve.

Put about 25 hours in so far. I think it's my favorite Bethesda game with Oblivion.

It's really the kind of game that either hits with you or annoys you. Loading screens and menus don't annoy me, I enjoy the menu stuff. I think the combat is the best out of Bethesda stuff so far, and the analog space stuff is great.

Jesus this game is big. Just completed a main mission that cracked it wide open.

I'm having a great time, but I've encountered a possible bug.

It looks like one of my Companions has gone missing. I recruited Heller during a mission and had assigned him to the Frontier. I later shuffled people around and unassigned him. Now, hours later he is no longer on my Crew list and I have no idea where he went. He's not on Vectera, and I've been checking bars but no dice. I even checked my Activities for a rescue mission like one website suggested.

Other people online seem to also have encountered this, but I have seen no solutions. I'm guessing it's some sort of bug that will hopefully be figured out.

Quoting myself in case anybody else runs into this issue, GameSpot ran into this bug with both Heller and Lin. Doesn't have a fix, but at least a large outlet has mentioned it, so hopefully it's on Bethesda's radar sooner or later.

Are there any ways to get skill points other than leveling up? Because boy do I need a lot of skill points

Not that this is a new "problem" for Bethesda games, but my issue with deciding where to put my skill points is I feel like I'm playing multiple games that all have to share one character and I'm never even sure which I'll be playing from moment to moment. Like, last session I thought I was going to play the "planetary exploration" game, but a distress signal suddenly pulled me into the "ground combat" game.

Captured my first enemy ship, but boy it sure seems like they didn't want to make that as profitable as you'd think it would be. Paid ~9000 to register the ship as my own (after first getting busted for the contraband I didn't think about checking for first), and the purchase offer is ~11000, which would've meant about enough profit to buy 4 med packs.

EDIT: Doesn't seem it's come up here yet, but at Nexus Mods there are already a couple options for replacing the FSR2 with DLSS.

Not that this is a new "problem" for Bethesda games, but my issue with deciding where to put my skill points is I feel like I'm playing multiple games that all have to share one character and I'm never even sure which I'll be playing from moment to moment. Like, last session I thought I was going to play the "planetary exploration" game, but a distress signal suddenly pulled me into the "ground combat" game.

Captured my first enemy ship, but boy it sure seems like they didn't want to make that as profitable as you'd think it would be. Paid ~9000 to register the ship as my own (after first getting busted for the contraband I didn't think about checking for first), and the purchase offer is ~11000, which would've meant about enough profit to buy 4 med packs.

EDIT: Doesn't seem it's come up here yet, but at Nexus Mods there are already a couple options for replacing the FSR2 with DLSS.

I am just happy they allow infinite leveling nowadays. Their games sorely needed it in the past.

It's official, Barrett is my boyfriend now. Honestly really like him, he's a big ol science nerd and some of his responses to flirting are endearingly doofy.

One benefit to getting shoved into the Crimson Fleet quest line is that if I find one of their outposts, I can loot with impunity.

The Vanguard missions are pretty cool so far, an early one has you playing cat and mouse with a Terrormorph, basically a death claw/Alien xenomorph and it got pretty tense.

And I just found some heretical religious pamphlets that are contraband, hell yeah

This is blowing my mind. That it even manages to run this well on Steam Deck is bonkers.

Back
Top Bottom