• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Starfield |ST| The Stars Don't Look Bigger, But They Do Look Brighter

WestEgg

King of the Krocs
Administrator
Pronouns
he/him
StarfieldSTHeader.jpeg

Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Director: Todd Howard
Release Date: September 6th, 2023 (Early Release September 1st, 2023)
Genre: Single-Player Action Role Playing Game
Platforms: Windows, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Available on Game Pass

PC System Requirements:

Minimum

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7-6800K
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Ti
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Storage: 125 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: SSD Required

Recommended

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5-10600K
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
ST Subtitle quote is attributed to Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, and longterm advocate of Space Travel and providing STEM opportunities to young girls.

IntroductionSFST.jpeg

"The stars, that nature hung in heaven, and filled their lamps with everlasting oil, give due light to the misled and lonely traveller."- John Milton

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Starfield, as described by Todd Howard, is "The Space Game". It takes place 300 years into the future, at a time when humanity has spread throughout the stars. For you, what starts as a humble career as a miner will quickly branch into any number of paths, as you make the world of Starfield your own and forge your own story. Whether you wish to pursue the mysteries of the universe with the enigmatic Constellation organization, become a pirate who terrorizes any unlucky enough to cross your path, settle new outposts on untouched worlds, or take an entirely different journey, that's your call. The universe awaits you, traveler.

For All, Into the Starfield.

Okay, but what can you actually do in Starfield?

Luckily, Microsoft showcased a pretty deep dive into the gameplay, systems, abilities, and even the ship building in their June Direct which is worth checking out!

Starfield Direct- Gameplay Deep Dive

reviewsSFST.jpeg

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." - Neil Armstrong, said at the first Moon landing

"Fix your little problem and light this candle!" - Alan Shepard, first Astronaut to fly in space, awaiting take off.

Metacritic: 87
Opencritic: 88

Game Rant: 5/5
Starfield delivers on everything it promised and then some. It's the ultimate sci-fi game, giving players an incomprehensibly massive world to explore and letting them play however they want. Starfield has what it takes to be another Skyrim-level game that's played religiously for the next decade. It's utterly engrossing, an absolute must-play, and the best Xbox console exclusive in years.
Windows Central: 4.5/5
Starfield has been an absolute mission of a game to review. I shouldn't need to emphasize just how big this game is. It's a Bethesda game, and it spans a large quadrant of our very own Milky Way galaxy, with hundreds of star systems and around a thousand planets of potential gameplay experiences. Starfield pushes Creation Engine to its absolute limits, and for sure, the cracks of age are starting to show. While aspects of Starfield could've used more iteration from a design standpoint, it's ultimately one of Bethesda's most cinematic and impressive titles to date. With incredible writing, slow-burn stories that snowball into some of Bethesda's most immense moments, and tight RPG FPS combat that thrills in ship-to-ship battles, boots-on-the-ground firefights, and zero-g death ballets — Starfield is a landmark experience, with a bright future ahead of it.​

Gamespot: 7/10
Starfield has its moments, for sure. Its satisfying gunplay makes combat exciting, especially when it's integrated into setpieces within its better, more captivating questlines. And although limited in its conception of space exploration, there's a novelty in poking around the galaxy to see star systems up close and personal, and occasionally finding side content worth chasing. However, it struggles to deliver a cohesive and memorable RPG experience amid the seemingly boundless sea of stars. For all its reverence for scientific philosophy, its stories and characters paint a rather tame and sterile vision for what our spacefaring future could look like. When you strip Starfield down to its essentials, it relies on a tried-and-true, but well-tread formula while missing some of the depth of the games that came before it. Starfield is a game more concerned with quantity than quality, and leaves the experience at the surface level.

brewster_the_coffee_pigeon.jpeg

Hey Famiboards, Brewster here again. Looks like the reviews are in and are quite good! Now, I've seen some folk disappointed that the numbers of some websites aren't quite to their liking, and I get it, it's good to have high hopes for the things you are looking forward to. But in the end, looks like it's still by all accounts a fun and ambitous game, and playing fun games sounds like a better use of time to me than arguing about how numbers on one game may be higher than another. But that's just this old bird's thinking on the subject. Anyway, enjoy the game!

Please be sure to check out our review thread for more!

officialmediaSFST.jpeg

"When you gaze at stars and think about planets, the places it takes your imagination are amazing! You look up the sky, and you know the stars have always been here; they were referenced in biblical times and have always been present. They are somewhere up there in the future, and they guide you; they make you feel safe." - Sarah Brightman

"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clark

Official Website: https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfield

Starfield- Official Announcement Teaser

Starfield Official Gameplay Trailer

Live Action Trailer

Key Art
277735fc948e2132d42b5d34a4acb310_c4d0d5b644e97c4949c747c4eb6d0dd3.jpg

Last edited:
I love how Brewster shows up in your STs WestEgg. I’m sadly not getting Starfield right at launch, but I’m looking forward to checking it out towards the end of September.

Dropped a hundo like a big fat sucker just so I can play it tomorrow.

But I am excited to get lost in a Bethesda game for the first time in while.

I had been planning to get this early, but I've decided I'd rather play this on console than PC, and since I've got a new credit card coming next week with a welcome bonus spending requirement, I'd prefer to put the cost of an Xbox on to that when it arrives. I'll definitely be catching up as soon as I can with all you early folks!

So excited to play on PC tomorrow, can't believe it's been almost 8 years since Fallout 4.

Even if the launch isn't of spectacular quality, I think this will end up having a really good run in the long term. Especially seeing how similar games like No Man's Sky were able to improve, and how Bethesda apparently even managed to eventually turn Fallout 76 into a game many people enjoy.

Heck. Yes.

Fantastic OP, West. Thank you for stepping in for me (and for doing a much better job than I could do!). It’s wonderful.

I cant wait to blast off.

My character is going to be named TOM, and I'm gonna pretend Starfield is his origin story. How one brave explorer decided to broadcast 90's Dragon Ball Z to galaxies far and wide (after doing whatever he story stuff did in Starfields quests)

26401291-de03-44c9-a220-164008aeecb2.jpg

I'm also immensley excited to see how the tech and other stuff from this game can be utilized in Elder Scrolls 6

The internal Starfield memo from Todd Howard himself (love it)
From Todd Howard, director of Starfield:

I knocked on Robert Altman’s door. “Got a few minutes?”

“Sure.”

It was early 2013, we were developing Fallout 4, and Skyrim was still enjoying enormous success. I was there to pitch him on our next game. It would not be a sequel to our current games, (he looked concerned), but a grand space RPG and our first new IP in over 25 years (looks curious). It would delve into creation and the search for our place in the universe (slight twinkle). You would explore the galaxy in ways only video games can do. And it would be called - Starfield. (Smile)

“Sounds fantastic.”

Robert would be the very first to believe in us, no matter the situation. Our path to creating Starfield would be a long and winding one where we made other games along the way (Fallout 4, Skyrim SE, Fallout Shelter, Skyrim VR, Fallout 76, Skyrim again…). The core development from 2020 to 2023 saw enormous changes in our lives. A global pandemic, Robert’s passing, and becoming part of Xbox.

It’s incredible to be at the moment where Starfield is finally launching this week. It only exists because everyone else believed as well. We’ve been supported for decades by everyone at ZeniMax, all doing their best work yet. Special thanks to our publishing teams who aimed to create not just another release, but something that would capture the minds and inspire gamers everywhere. And to our partners in QA who had the difficult task of testing a game where anything can (and will) happen. And thanks to Jamie Leder and our Admin/HR teams who supported everyone during the most challenging years any of us have faced.

And of course, there is Phil Spencer. His support of every game and every player has been unwavering and fierce. Joining Xbox brought us closer to so many we had worked with for over 20 years. I cannot imagine a better place to create games, where the diversity of studios, creators, and games are allowed to flourish. This support came from the entire Xbox leadership team and all areas of publishing and dev support. Special thanks to the magicians at ATG whose spells and incantations helped make this our best performing game.

Most importantly, is the team I work with at Bethesda Game Studios. It’s an incredible blessing to be surrounded by so many talented and inspirational people every day. Moments like this make you reflect back. Some of us have been together for decades, some joined more recently, but everyone has the same passion. I could not be prouder of their continued dedication to create something truly special.

Lastly, a huge thanks to all of you within the Xbox and Bethesda family. Your enthusiasm and encouragement have meant the world to us. Creating this game has been one of the most challenging and thrilling experiences of our careers - a journey we'll never forget. And as we come to the end of this chapter, we pass it along to you. Each of you is receiving the game with Early Access, and can begin playing this Friday Sep 1st, but since it’s one global time you can actually play Thursday evening (Thanks New Zealand!).

We hope you get a chance to play, and that your journey is as rewarding as ours.

All our best,

Todd

Great ST!

I am so, so, SO excited! I have never paid Bethesda the slightest bit of attention, ever. Until I first saw last year's trailer and was completely blown away. The time is approaching. This game is going to be something truly special.

Bring on tomorrow.

excited-cant-wait.gif

Nice ST. I'll be playing this on Gamepass so have to wait a few more days yet, hope those of you getting in early have fun!

Great ST @WestEgg!

I'm still really looking forward to jumping in this evening. My expectations are in check, but I just really love the vibe I've been getting from the game. I'm hoping my experience will be closer to the higher reviews.

I think one of the reasons I’ve been anticipating this game so much, aside from just really digging the refreshingly optimistic and adventurous tone of the marketing, is that when I was a kid I played Escape Velocity on a shareware CD, got REALLY into it, and have kind of been chasing that feeling with every space game since. Here’s hoping this is the one.

Updated the reviews section.

Kind of going back and forth now on whether I'm getting it early or not. I had been thinking of waiting until next week and getting an Xbox Series X to play the game on (haven't yet picked up a PS5/Xbox Series yet), but it's going to be a long weekend, and maybe I want to spend it in space on my PC. Eh, I'll still probably hold off and be responsible.

Updated the reviews section.

Kind of going back and forth now on whether I'm getting it early or not. I had been thinking of waiting until next week and getting an Xbox Series X to play the game on (haven't yet picked up a PS5/Xbox Series yet), but it's going to be a long weekend, and maybe I want to spend it in space on my PC. Eh, I'll still probably hold off and be responsible.
it’s a long weekend. buy the xbox this weekend.
forget responsibility!

About a third of the way downloaded on my PC. This is going to be the first AAA game I play on my laptop and I'm curious how it'll work out.

About a third of the way downloaded on my PC. This is going to be the first AAA game I play on my laptop and I'm curious how it'll work out.
Nice. Since it runs well on a Series S, I think it should run well on a good amount of PCs. What laptop do you have?

Nice. Since it runs well on a Series S, I think it should run well on a good amount of PCs. What laptop do you have?

13900, 4090, and 32GB RAM. If I had known two weeks after getting it I was going to be upgrading my internet from 1-2mbps to 1gbps I'd have gotten a desktop lol. But I think this laptop paired with a decent monitor will last me a long while.

13900, 4090, and 32GB RAM. If I had known two weeks after getting it I was going to be upgrading my internet from 1-2mbps to 1gbps I'd have gotten a desktop lol. But I think this laptop paired with a decent monitor will last me a long while.
Daaaaamn your laptop is more beastly than my desktop.

View attachment 1456

Developer: Bethesda Game Studios
Publisher: Bethesda Softworks
Director: Todd Howard
Release Date: September 6th, 2023 (Early Release September 1st, 2023)
Genre: Single-Player Action Role Playing Game
Platforms: Windows, Xbox Series X, Xbox Series S, Available on Game Pass

PC System Requirements:

Minimum

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X, Intel Core i7-6800K
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 5700, NVIDIA GeForce 1070 Ti

Recommended

• Processor: AMD Ryzen 5 3600X, Intel i5-10600K
  • Graphics: AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
ST Subtitle quote is attributed to Sally Ride, the first American woman in space, and longterm advocate of Space Travel and providing STEM opportunities to young girls.

View attachment 1460

"The stars, that nature hung in heaven, and filled their lamps with everlasting oil, give due light to the misled and lonely traveller."- John Milton

"Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the drug store, but that's just peanuts to space." - Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Starfield, as described by Todd Howard, is "The Space Game". It takes place 300 years into the future, at a time when humanity has spread throughout the stars. For you, what starts as a humble career as a miner will quickly branch into any number of paths, as you make the world of Starfield your own and forge your own story. Whether you wish to pursue the mysteries of the universe with the enigmatic Constellation organization, become a pirate who terrorizes any unlucky enough to cross your path, settle new outposts on untouched worlds, or take an entirely different journey, that's your call. The universe awaits you, traveler.

For All, Into the Starfield.

Okay, but what can you actually do in Starfield?

Luckily, Microsoft showcased a pretty deep dive into the gameplay, systems, abilities, and even the ship building in their June Direct which is worth checking out!

Starfield Direct- Gameplay Deep Dive

View attachment 1464

"That's one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." - Neil Armstrong, said at the first Moon landing

"Fix your little problem and light this candle!" - Alan Shepard, first Astronaut to fly in space, awaiting take off.

Metacritic: 87
Opencritic: 88

Game Rant: 5/5

Windows Central: 4.5/5

Gamespot: 7/10

brewster_the_coffee_pigeon.jpeg

Hey Famiboards, Brewster here again. Looks like the reviews are in and are quite good! Now, I've seen some folk disappointed that the numbers of some websites aren't quite to their liking, and I get it, it's good to have high hopes for the things you are looking forward to. But in the end, looks like it's still by all accounts a fun and ambitous game, and playing fun games sounds like a better use of time to me than arguing about how numbers on one game may be higher than another. But that's just this old bird's thinking on the subject. Anyway, enjoy the game!

Please be sure to check out our review thread for more!

View attachment 1461

"When you gaze at stars and think about planets, the places it takes your imagination are amazing! You look up the sky, and you know the stars have always been here; they were referenced in biblical times and have always been present. They are somewhere up there in the future, and they guide you; they make you feel safe." - Sarah Brightman

"Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying." - Arthur C. Clark

Official Website: https://bethesda.net/en/game/starfield

Starfield- Official Announcement Teaser

Starfield Official Gameplay Trailer

Live Action Trailer

Key Art
277735fc948e2132d42b5d34a4acb310_c4d0d5b644e97c4949c747c4eb6d0dd3.jpg

did Starfield actually have 1.000 planets or this is just marketing?

hot damn, your laptop blows mine out of the water. I’m rocking a Ryzen 9, 6800s, and 16GB RAM. With a 27” monitor, I basically treat it like a desktop and I kinda regret not just building a desktop rig. But this laptop should do fine for now at least.

Probably will resub to Game Pass Console for this, though, that being said I really want to get through BG3 first...

50hrs in and just started act 3

Only played about an hour and a half so far before dinner, but I'm enjoying it a lot so far. Gunplay feels great, and I like the new lock picking mini game.

Played 3 hours on my Series S tonight. Looked and ran great and I had a good time meeting my space pals and exploring the initial areas.

Back
Top Bottom