• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Starfield |ST| The Stars Don't Look Bigger, But They Do Look Brighter

OMG the ship customization controls are like the worst thing ever šŸ˜­

Like, even if I had tried I think I would have come up short of what they managed here lol

But once I got a handle of them I made my own ship and man I am so proud of it aaaah I am zipping across the Milky Way in my own starship

OMG the ship customization controls are like the worst thing ever šŸ˜­

Like, even if I had tried I think I would have come up short of what they managed here lol

But once I got a handle of them I made my own ship and man I am so proud of it aaaah I am zipping across the Milky Way in my own starship
I tried it a bit tonight and felt incredibly stupid because the parts seemed to be unable rotate at all. Some I could flip directions on but only 180Ā° when I wanted like a 90Ā° flip. Am I missing something or what?

So I apparently got a bounty?

Like, I visited an abandoned outpost and people started shooting at me and all of a sudden, when I shot back, it said ā€œ15.000 added to your Freestar Collective bountyā€.

Like, what?

Like, I visited an abandoned outpost and people started shooting at me and all of a sudden, when I shot back, it said ā€œ15.000 added to your Freestar Collective bountyā€.

Like, what?
stop right there, criminal scum!

Boy, ship parts sure are picky. I can maybe understand why you wouldn't want to put a section in upside down or some other odd angle, but pieces will let you flip them so they're pointed < or >, but not rotated to V? Seems there specifically to keep us from going too crazy, but I'm just trying to throw in some storage space here.

While I'm not the biggest fan of Bethesda games overall, I like Starfield so far. I like it more than say Hogwarts Legacy, which IGN gave a 9 for some unfathomable reason.

But the main early take away after about 15 hours is just how much this game is tripping over itself all the time. It's just so cumbersome to do anything. Not in the Red Dead 2 immersion building-way either. It's just a constant slog of going into menus and loading screens.

Moment to moment it reminds me a lot of Cyberpunk (and Fallout of course but I like it a lot more than Fallout), in that it's a reasonably fun shooter with kind of compelling story. But in comparison to Cyberpunk they have just sucked so much fun out of the game. The biggest problem is that traversal, even when you try it, just isn't fun. Flying your spaceship isn't fun and the game works best when you are exploring the interiors and looting stuff.

All that said, I really appreciate the audacity of scope and vision on display. And mostly I am really engaged in the game. But man, I really wish that they could have found a more elegant solution for traveling from place to place than just getting mired in poorly designed menus. Especially since so many quest are like "go here, do this, find out that you have to travel here and do that". So you're like fast traveling somewhere, shooting some people or talking to someone, then fast traveling somewhere else, rinse and repeat.

Also, since it's so hard to navigate and there isn't really any good map when you are on foot, it really becomes a 'follow-the-marker' kind of game. Which I think is fine if the gameplay is really engaging (for example like in Armored Core VI), but I really wish that Bethesda took a page from Zelda or Outer Wilds and gave players a bit of freedom to find their own solutions and objectives sometimes.

Especially since so many quest are like "go here, do this, find out that you have to travel here and do that". So you're like fast traveling somewhere, shooting some people or talking to someone, then fast traveling somewhere else, rinse and repeat.
It reminds me a lot of the previous Fallout in space, The Outer Worlds. In both cases you weren't really doing any of the flying between locations, so the process of returning to your ship and selecting a new planet to go to mostly just adds extra steps to the very frequent Fast Travel.

It reminds me a lot of the previous Fallout in space, The Outer Worlds. In both cases you weren't really doing any of the flying between locations, so the process of returning to your ship and selecting a new planet to go to mostly just adds extra steps to the very frequent Fast Travel.

It just reminds me a lot of Skyrim. The same god awfull inventory management system, the same cell based locations. I am still enjoying the designs, but thats all thats keeping me playing for now.

I tried it a bit tonight and felt incredibly stupid because the parts seemed to be unable rotate at all. Some I could flip directions on but only 180Ā° when I wanted like a 90Ā° flip. Am I missing something or what?
Some of them give the option for you to flip them, but other than that yeah, it looks like that's all there is to it lol

Like, what?
Every now and then this happens due to how the gameā€™s systems interact and have poor flagging and whatnot. Or at least it used to in Skyrim and previous games. Probably best to just run pay the bounty off quick and be done with it, unfortunately.

Okay, I just got to a place called paradiso and I got a bit of chills. This is exactly what I'm playing the game for - charting off to some random, really far away solar system, land somewhere and just discover this big, alive settlement with a unique setting.

Oh my god.

that choice is evil, I didn't realize i was deciding who would live or die. RIP Barrett, my love. Your with Ervin now.

The more I play of this game the more I like it. It just keeps opening up more and more and doing more interesting things, and it seems like a lot of the good stuff is later on after youā€™ve been playing for a little while.

I just visited my first
temple and got my first Power, which I had no idea were even in the game. So weā€™re basically a Space Dragonborn, huh? Or is it a Space Serpentborn?

OK, have to correct myself on this. Just noticed that you CAN directly fast travel from planet to planet using the star map.

Pro tip if you are always out of space because you pick up everything thatā€™s not nailed down (like me): After you join Constellation they give you a room upstairs that has an infinite-space storage chest in it. There might be better options once you really get an Outpost built up or something, but I havenā€™t messed with that too much yet.

Looking more into it, I think a stealth sniper assassin build is definitely possible in this game, itā€™s just going to take a while to get there as it needs a lot of investment. The biggest draw is the Concealment skill, but thatā€™s at the very bottom of the leftmost skill tree. And youā€™re also going to want a lot of points into ballistics, rifles, marksman, and others in the weapons tree.

There are just a lot of skills I want! But luckily it seems like the game goes up pretty far in level since there are star systems up to at least level 50 that Iā€™ve seen without looking very hard.

I'm really struggling with the weapons can someone help me out in terms of what I should be looking for in terms of choosing one gun over another in the same category? Should I be looking at the DMG primarily and just going with the higher number or does Fire rate matter too? Is the damage value per second or is it per hit? I'm level 10, only done two or three main missions but I'm using a pistol where it seems to take 20+ shots to take out one dude.

Looking more into it, I think a stealth sniper assassin build is definitely possible in this game, itā€™s just going to take a while to get there as it needs a lot of investment. The biggest draw is the Concealment skill, but thatā€™s at the very bottom of the leftmost skill tree. And youā€™re also going to want a lot of points into ballistics, rifles, marksman, and others in the weapons tree.

There are just a lot of skills I want! But luckily it seems like the game goes up pretty far in level since there are star systems up to at least level 50 that Iā€™ve seen without looking very hard.

I keep hearing there's no level cap but I'm not entirely sure if that's true. I do know there's an achievement for reaching level 100 so at the very least you have room for growth.
I'm really struggling with the weapons can someone help me out in terms of what I should be looking for in terms of choosing one gun over another in the same category? Should I be looking at the DMG primarily and just going with the higher number or does Fire rate matter too? Is the damage value per second or is it per hit? I'm level 10, only done two or three main missions but I'm using a pistol where it seems to take 20+ shots to take out one dude.
Damage is the important thing for killing things quickly (and I do believe the number is per hit), but fire rate will matter with any rapid fire type weapons, since those usually have lower damage per hit but a high enough rate of fire that it makes up for it.

Personally I've been sticking to shotguns because I like to get up in everyone's face.

How I missed that feeling of getting lost in increasingly elaborate side missions on my way to complete a main mission objective.

It has been far too long.

Damage is the important thing for killing things quickly (and I do believe the number is per hit), but fire rate will matter with any rapid fire type weapons, since those usually have lower damage per hit but a high enough rate of fire that it makes up for it.

Personally I've been sticking to shotguns because I like to get up in everyone's face.

Thanks for this. Is accuracy the reason half of my shots aren't getting through or is it just bad hit detection?

Presumably assault rifles with their massive fire rate compared to pistols should be the way to go? I'll keep experimenting.

Thanks for this. Is accuracy the reason half of my shots aren't getting through or is it just bad hit detection?

Presumably assault rifles with their massive fire rate compared to pistols should be the way to go? I'll keep experimenting.
Accuracy is important, but raw damage is king. Early on you can get a lot of pistols that have good properties but do almost no damage, at least I found. Shotguns seem like a good early weapon, same with some assault rifles to just spray a lot of bullets.

Pro tip if you are always out of space because you pick up everything thatā€™s not nailed down (like me): After you join Constellation they give you a room upstairs that has an infinite-space storage chest in it. There might be better options once you really get an Outpost built up or something, but I havenā€™t messed with that too much yet.
The annoying thing is, the resources you put in your spaceship storage can be accessed by all the crafting tables or base construction. The stuff you stick in a regular old ground storage can't. So it's at least a good place to stick fancy weapons or suits you might want to access later.

I know reviews claimed this game was the least buggy Bethesda game, but at least in my experience on Series S that isn't exactly true.

I've had a lot of minor bugs, from classic NPCs getting stuck, to my outfit causing extreme visual bugs, to many, many hard crashes.

I'm about 30 hours into the game and loving it, but it's definitely the buggiest time I've had with a Bethesda game at launch, granted it's technically prelaunch and on the weakest platform.

On PC I'm over 20 hours and still no crashes, so I'm pretty happy. The buggiest stuff I've seen has been two objects intersecting that shouldn't and kind of flipping out.

I've not had many bugs at all tbh, it's all running in a pretty stable state which is nice.

The game can be incredibly janky at times though, it genuinely feels like Mass Effect 2 figured out NPC path-ing and spawning-in better than this. Or having random passers by walking into the NPC you've got a dialogue with in New Atlantis.

I also find it really annoying that enemies can go on alert when you're in the room next door to them with sealed doors between you. Again even ME1 didn't have that problem.

(you can probably tell it's my first Bethesda game)

The annoying thing is, the resources you put in your spaceship storage can be accessed by all the crafting tables or base construction. The stuff you stick in a regular old ground storage can't. So it's at least a good place to stick fancy weapons or suits you might want to access later.
That is a downside, but I found that I was running out of space on my ship, too. So my current plan is to fill the ship cargo with crafting supplies to a reasonable amount and then just shove everything else into the infinite storage.

Longterm, the solution is probably to have a full home base outpost somewhere with all crafting stations and tons of storage all in one place.

(Plus an outpost on a hidden moon is a great place to store your contrabandā€¦ erā€¦ not that I would know anything about thatā€¦)

The game also deserves credit for being jaw-droppingly pretty at times. Some of the vistas Iā€™ve encounteredā€¦. Sheesh.

On PC I'm over 20 hours and still no crashes, so I'm pretty happy. The buggiest stuff I've seen has been two objects intersecting that shouldn't and kind of flipping out.

Lucky you. 25 hours in and Iā€™m up to 6 crashes and counting. And more than double the amount of freezes, stutters and intense framedrops.

In terms of bugs, I do feel this is more polished than other Bethesda games at launch, but in my experience that's not exactly a high bar to clear. Personally I've had the game freeze twice on me, and occasionally had NPCs clipped through objects (and sometimes my companion likes to stand exactly where I am so I see the back of their eyeballs lol). For reference I'm playing on a Series X and I'm at about 27 hours now.

The game also deserves credit for being jaw-droppingly pretty at times. Some of the vistas Iā€™ve encounteredā€¦. Sheesh.
It really does! Bethesda stepped up their graphics game in a lot of ways, although some of the NPCs look a bit off sometimes still in that traditional Bethesda fashion, lol.

on series x other then my partner disappearing from time to time, no bugs or major FPS problems

Oh, I did forget about a few other bugs I noticed. I found a bush floating about 50 feet in the air, and I came across a pirate stuck floating about a foot off the ground, slowly kicking their legs. And once the camera was underground during a liftoff cutscene. Honestly I find bugs like that charming, but I understand why they bother people.

So I think I'm nearing the end of the main story, and I dunno if I want to just go for it and do NG+, or spend a little more time faffing about. Decisions, decisions

So I think I'm nearing the end of the main story, and I dunno if I want to just go for it and do NG+, or spend a little more time faffing about. Decisions, decisions
Does the game actually end when you beat the main story? Or do you just roll credits and then get to keep playing?

the game is finally available for all us regular folk who didnā€™t spring for the early access

enjoy the game everybody!

The Mass Effect comparison to Starfield with regards to space travel is really weird.

1. Bioware wasn't about exploration, Bethesda is. A lot of people love the idea of exploring space itself, not just planets, so it's a natural expectation.
2. Mass Effect came out in 2007 for a system with 512 MBs of RAM and the worst CPU possible.

Does the game actually end when you beat the main story? Or do you just roll credits and then get to keep playing?
So I've only heard this second hand, and was trying to avoid spoiling myself too much, but,

when you complete the final mission, it automatically puts you in NG+, and the only thing that carries over are your levels, skills, and powers. You can defer doing the thing that ends the mission as long as you want though, and the game warns you about it.

I'm actually genuinely impressed that Bethesda, the masters of terrible UX design, have managed to make Starfield even worse than their other games in that respect. Such dedication to making the most irritating, unintuitive, trash UI.

Game is good apart from that. Couple stutters on my Series S, and one freeze which lasted about 15 seconds then started working again, which may have been a Quick Resume thing. Smooth apart from that though. Pleasantly surprised.

I'm actually genuinely impressed that Bethesda, the masters of terrible UX design, have managed to make Starfield even worse than their other games in that respect. Such dedication to making the most irritating, unintuitive, trash UI.

Game is good apart from that. Couple stutters on my Series S, and one freeze which lasted about 15 seconds then started working again, which may have been a Quick Resume thing. Smooth apart from that though. Pleasantly surprised.
The UI on PC (I think it's the exact same as on console, not sure) is so bad it might actually dethrone D4's abomination of an inventory system. Thankfully a mod that makes it better came out like day one.

Okay so hereā€™s where I am with Starfield. At its best this is the single best thing Bethesda has ever done. Yes better than Morrowind. Yes better than Fallout 3. Yes - Iā€™m gonna say it - better than Skyrim. At its best.

The trouble is all the other times

EDIT: I will say though, this is easily my favorite Xbox first party game in, uh... well, a very long time (I think it might actually just be my favorite one, but I wanna give it some more time before making a statement that definitive lol). It's very frustrating so often but those highs are so high.

Last edited:
I have now found two museums in the game (although one was basically just UC propaganda). I love it.

Honestly I wasn't expecting this, but I think this may end up being my game of the year. The main competition it has is TotK, but I think something about Starfield resonates with me in a way that gives it an edge. It's extremely close between the two, though.

I started playing this last night, love getting into the classes, perks etc. like with the fallout games, visuals a big jump forward thankfully.
However, the jerky camera movement and janky feel, way of picking things up etc. is exactly the same as all of their games for the last 20 years. Feels like the same engine in higher res.

I am a few hours in. Quite enjoyable, story is intriguing. I am actually thinking of just of focusing on the main story and then do all the side stuff at some point after NG+ if that is possible. Well looking forward to slowly continue this game ^^

Random outposts > main story.

That's really how I feel. It is so intriguing to go to whatever abandoned stuff exists on a planet, land, check it out, and then find the "unknown" marker far away, go there, find some huge mushrooms or something, scan a little, etc... And personally, I still feel like there's an awe-inspiring sense of scale going on. Like, looking up to the sky and feeling the "see that mountain" feeling, but with star systems and planets instead of mountain. Zooming out to the star map gives me such a sense of scale.

But it also says a lot about how little emotional investment I have in the story and characters. The game literally gives me next to no reason to care.

But maybe it's par for the course of Bethesda, I wouldn't know.

Random outposts > main story.

That's really how I feel. It is so intriguing to go to whatever abandoned stuff exists on a planet, land, check it out, and then find the "unknown" marker far away, go there, find some huge mushrooms or something, scan a little, etc... And personally, I still feel like there's an awe-inspiring sense of scale going on. Like, looking up to the sky and feeling the "see that mountain" feeling, but with star systems and planets instead of mountain. Zooming out to the star map gives me such a sense of scale.

But it also says a lot about how little emotional investment I have in the story and characters. The game literally gives me next to no reason to care.

But maybe it's par for the course of Bethesda, I wouldn't know.
Thatā€™s pretty typical for Bethesda games, yes. Usually theyā€™re more about game systems and how they interact, exploration and freedom, and individual quests/quest chains. There are lots of great quests and whole quest chains in these games (amidst many mediocre ones, too), but theyā€™re great because they do cool stuff or have you interact with the world in interesting ways, and so on. Itā€™s rarely the capital-P Plot or characters that are interesting much at all. For me, itā€™s often the crime or morally-grey quest chains that stand out as the best, like the Dark Brotherhood or Thieves Guild quest lines in previous games. The Crimson Fleet quests seem like they might be really good too in Starfield, but I havenā€™t done enough of them yet to say. I liked the first few UC Vanguard missions, too.

They really donā€™t do a great job telling you how things like ship building and outpost building work.

I looked up a couple of videos on the ship building which helped and itā€™s actually pretty fun. Iā€™ll probably end up doing the same thing for outposts tomorrow since I have like 12 people in my crew and 10 of them donā€™t know what to do with themselves lol.

Im only a few hours in, and my biggest problem is that I find the menu really terrible, i really dont like it, is very confusing

Back
Top Bottom