• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Starfield |ST| The Stars Don't Look Bigger, But They Do Look Brighter

I'm glad I chose the trait to have parents. I thought it would just be nice to not have a character completely on their own with a tragic backstory for a change, but it's even better when Mom and Dad show up in unexpected places.

New fun bug I experienced: my companion's head somehow got stuck in chameleon mode, and stayed that way until I restarted.
That is a downside, but I found that I was running out of space on my ship, too. So my current plan is to fill the ship cargo with crafting supplies to a reasonable amount and then just shove everything else into the infinite storage.

Longterm, the solution is probably to have a full home base outpost somewhere with all crafting stations and tons of storage all in one place.
Agreed on both. For now I've started limiting my ship resources to 15 each, or less if it's one of the particularly heavy items weighing several kg.

Yeah, just a 6 or 7 hours in here, and not sure how I feel about it at all so far.

When it's good, it's superb. Which is typically in the cities or caves or "contained places". Talking to people, shopping, getting a sense of the worldbuilding. It can be visually stunning, and the sense of scale is great. The opening really drew me in.

But when out exploring a planet on foot, it's can be really shockingly ugly and dull. The points of interest are never worth the ridiculously long travel times by foot. Maybe I've been unlucky, but there's just nothing out there, and the creatures are terrible. And on top of that the game is absolutely full of fast travel, which requires navigating these ridiculously esoteric menus, and further hurts the sense of exploration, and you're fast travelling as much as you are actually exploring. The game badly needed planetary vehicles for ground exploration.

Why are the menus so bad? Why aren't weapons of the same type grouped together in the menu so you can compare them? Why is there like 3 different ways to access the map / fast travel, with none of them easy to understand? Why is the local map so useless? Why are all the old animation issues with the Bethesda engine still so painfully apparent? Why do you still get stuck on level geometry so much? I'm also a little tired of having to scavenge a ridiculous amount of items in every place I go. I'd love a scanner that only highlights actually useful/valuable items - because there's just too much shit to shift through here.

But also, the gameplay loop itself doesn't quite hit for me. That early mission where you come up against that one creature, which is obviously supposed to be the equivalent of a deathclaw in fallout - a terrifying apex predator - I just didn't feel that same sense of dread. The atmosphere wasn't there because I didn't buy into it's animations or AI. Combat here is weak, weak weak - especially when fighting non-humans, who really animate poorly. It feels like it needed VATS or some other kind of auxillary system to add interest to it.

I can't help compare this to Fallout 76, which everyone despised. I came to it well after it was "fixed", with a ton of NPCs and other content added. And I enjoyed it way, way more than this. Because the menus were far better, but even more because when exploring there were genuine points of interest with easy to understand environmental storytelling everywhere, and that storytelling itself was more interesting than what's going on here - even if most of it was backstory. And there was humour, too. Tons of it. So far this is very po-faced.

I also compare it to No Man's Sky, which did all the space related things other than combat 100x better, from scanning to resource collection to actually travelling from place to place - and the procedurally generated planets in NMS were far, far more interesting from a topographical perspective than what's going on here.

And lastly I compare it to Mass Effect, which had a very similar plot set-up (discovery of alien artifacts) but far superior characters, dialogue and narrative pacing. So it's not really best of class or near best of class anywhere that I can see.

It's early, but so far this is a really uneven experience. It feels like just another Bethesda game, which is both good and bad, but this time in the least interesting setting they've come up with so far. I'm a little underwhelmed, yet I can't put it down.

I don't know what it is, but I'm really enjoying this. Their other game series like Fallout and TES were never really an interest to me but I don't know...I really like just walking around on planets, finding some random outposts, shooting everyone up and knocking out some sidequests here and there. I am making progress on the main quest though but not exactly sure what's going on with the artifacts.

I do get the feeling that side content > main content once I find the really engaging ones. I've only experienced one crash, but that was only because I was toggling DLSS mod presets with the game running. The game doesn't like that lol.

Getting towards the end stages of Tears of the Kingdom and working out what game is next. Would this be too similar after spending over 200 hours in Hyrule?

Getting towards the end stages of Tears of the Kingdom and working out what game is next. Would this be too similar after spending over 200 hours in Hyrule?

They are fairly different games. Not only in setting, but also in game design and structure.

While sidequests in TotK were stellar in my opinion, there's a much larger emphasis on them when it comes to Starfield's gameplay and how it ties in to the overall experience and loop. The game is designed so that you assemble a fair few questlines - main and side - and then tick them off one by one, in any order and quantity, and perhaps loot some bases and scan some wildlife along the way. All while navigating an enormous map of what seems like countless planets. Then there's stuff like choosing to be morally ambiguous or not in your quests, and there's base building and ship customization.

In short, Starfield is about where you are and TotK is about what you can do. I found Starfield to be different enough to not feel open world fatigue, even when coming off of 200 hours of TotK, like you.

So i’m like 40 hours in now and the game is really growing on me. I have a hard time putting it down.

It's just a very cozy game to play and once one gets into faction quest lines and a bit deeper into the main quest the game shines.

And I think I kinda figured out exploration by now in the sense that I realized that it really isn't worth going to random planets if you are not enjoying mining and base building (which I'm not doing any of). And it's not worth it to venture off on foot anywhere if you are not in the mood for just shooting up a random base or gathering some resources, I have pretty much never encountered something interesting that way.
Instead I explore the star map and try to find planets with major settlements or towns on, and going to those are almost always worth it because they pretty much always offer a quirky side quest with good rewards. Also jumping around a bit to new systems and planets often trigger fun interactions with spaceships that haul you.

It took me a while to come to terms with the game being so menu-driven. And I would still prefer it to bit less so. But I do think there is a lot on offer in this game if one is in the mood for it.

Edit: also it's pretty outrageous that they have no map for the big cities at least and I really hope that they add vehicles or some way to boost forward efficiently since it's often just a slog to land and then have to bunnyhop and sprint like 1000m through nothing just to get to a point of interest.

preload starfield to play it as soon as I have time for it
the game doesn't launch on PC gamepass
try to verify and repair the files
Makes me redownload everything at an incredibly slow pace

God I despise gamepass PC and how shit it can be.

Maybe I've been unlucky, but there's just nothing out there, and the creatures are terrible.
Having put another 7 hours into it, I just want to come back and say... I think I actually was unlucky. Having explored more planets, there ARE things out there to discover, and the first two planets I visited randomly were just terrible examples of what the game could be.

The first two planets I visited I would trek 1km to a marker just to find a skeleton to scan, then another 1km to find an empty cave, then another 1km to find some large ice crystal. Nothing of interest. The creatures were these strange giraffes that the game struggled to animate touching the ground, they were noclipping everywhere.

Last night, by contrast, I stumbled upon a homestead on the edge of a massive crater, then a Helium-3 mining facility being ransacked by spacers, then some autonomous robot facilities with actual storytelling in them. There were skill books and legendary weapons to find, I felt like I was both doing my own thing and making progress.

I think I can see what the idea is here now. You land on a planet and the game generates "places" or things nearby from a pool of stuff that can be on that planet. If that's how it works, then it's actually very clever and I just had a bad time or an unlucky time with the RNG on the first two planets I went to, which were almost impossibly boring.

All of the UI criticisms still stand though!

The boostpack reminds me so much of hovering in Mario Sunshine, I love it.

I hereby demand the boost pack needs to be in every game going forward.

And I dont just mean every Bethesda game

Haven’t gotten around to starting yet (wanna finish Fuga and Hellsinger before they’re removed from Game Pass) but the reception for Starfield has been really interesting to watch. Went from unbridled hype before reviews, to controversy over IGN and Gamespot 7/10, to a lot of underwhelming impressions for the first few hours. And yet, it’s somehow completely flipped from that as of late, feels like I’ve seen nothing but praise for people who’ve really dug into the game.

I was really pulled in by the exploration aspect, so hearing it was fairly gated killed my hype a bit. But the linearity is supposedly strict enough that I’ve seen a lot of comparisons to Mass Effect, which has me incredibly interested. Can’t wait to start soon.

Haven’t gotten around to starting yet (wanna finish Fuga and Hellsinger before they’re removed from Game Pass) but the reception for Starfield has been really interesting to watch. Went from unbridled hype before reviews, to controversy over IGN and Gamespot 7/10, to a lot of underwhelming impressions for the first few hours. And yet, it’s somehow completely flipped from that as of late, feels like I’ve seen nothing but praise for people who’ve really dug into the game.

I was really pulled in by the exploration aspect, so hearing it was fairly gated killed my hype a bit. But the linearity is supposedly strict enough that I’ve seen a lot of comparisons to Mass Effect, which has me incredibly interested. Can’t wait to start soon.

The game does have a slower start in a sense but once you get to New Atlantis the variety of different things to do jumps a bit. I think doing the story missions may open up more mission variety too though there are some aspects that aren't explained that well like the outpost building.

It does get more engaging as you go along.

I really wish that foliage and the environment were animated. Compared to even BotW and TotK the outdoors environments just feels so static and dead. Some wind in the trees would go such a long way. Like the trees in new Atlantis especially look uncanny af

qq - is there a way I can eat stuff I see lying around? I really want to eat some random things as I walk to top up my health, but picking them up and then going into my inventory is wicked tedious.

Playing on Xbox.

As someone who has never played Elder Scrolls and very little Fallout, I am struggling with the combat. I'm used to cover and fire mechanics. Right now, it is just out in the open unless I run to a different room. I'm still only 7~ hours into it, but I keep finding myself running out of ammo or medipaks. It also feels like the enemies are eating a lot of my bullets. They aren't going down easily.

Sorry for the complaining. Any tips?

As someone who has never played Elder Scrolls and very little Fallout, I am struggling with the combat. I'm used to cover and fire mechanics. Right now, it is just out in the open unless I run to a different room. I'm still only 7~ hours into it, but I keep finding myself running out of ammo or medipaks. It also feels like the enemies are eating a lot of my bullets. They aren't going down easily.

Sorry for the complaining. Any tips?
get up in their face, close courters is best to get quick kills

This is very much a quest-centric game. The exploration sucks, but if you just set out to do quests and little things here and there it's very cozy and excellent.
Now I think Elder Scrolls VI is going be exactly what I want as it will no doubt have good exploration.

This is very much a quest-centric game. The exploration sucks, but if you just set out to do quests and little things here and there it's very cozy and excellent.
Now I think Elder Scrolls VI is going be exactly what I want as it will no doubt have good exploration.
This is where I'm at. I might do some exploration on the way to quest objectives but it doesn't really grab me otherwise. Something of a letdown compared to Elder Scrolls and Fallout where I struggle to stay on the beaten path.

There are some very entertaining side quests, which isn’t surprising as that’s often the highlight of these Bethesda games.

It’s also cool that you actually get some noteworthy rewards for doing some of them.

I think I just locked myself out? Doing a main quest I suddenly got bounty for UC. Couldn't enter any UC air space without getting shot down.

Fast travel to any Freestar collective planet with a settlement has me being tailed by a UC bounty hunter. Shooting it down has me getting bounty for Freestar and has me get shot down by Freestar ships. Traveling to another Freestar system and I'm getting shot down immediately. Traveling to a deserted system and back doesn't help, the bounty is still there. I've jumped back and forth between deserted systems, UC systems and Freestar systems, trying to find any combo that will get me rid of any of the bountys, but no luck.

Reloading saves doesn't work - all my saves, even the manual one, is after I got the UC bounty.

So dumb.

Fallout 4 had infinite storage for crafting stuff in your main town, which could fairly easily be connected to other settlements and could be accessed by crafting stations in all of them. For that reason, I actually messed with crafting in that game versus Fallout 3, where you just had to carry the right items to a crafting station so it was an extra pain. Unfortunately so far Starfield seems closer to Fallout 3. I previously mentioned I'd started limiting elements in my ship to 15, so there was actually enough room for a variety of things. But trying to start a simple outpost to pump some nickel and cobalt I had to beam out for more materials, because to make a couple extractors, storage, and solar generators took way more than 15 iron and aluminum.
This is where I'm at. I might do some exploration on the way to quest objectives but it doesn't really grab me otherwise. Something of a letdown compared to Elder Scrolls and Fallout where I struggle to stay on the beaten path.
I don't think it's as appealing as running across it on a single world map (though, ask me again in a hundred hours), but the jump limits have led me to distractions in different ways. "I have to stop in system B before I can jump on to system C? OK. Oh, system B has a weird ship in orbit around a planet? Hmm, wonder what that is."
I've jumped back and forth between deserted systems, UC systems and Freestar systems, trying to find any combo that will get me rid of any of the bountys, but no luck.
Not that I have a suggestion of where to look, but could you find one of those bounty buyoff kiosks in a system outside of space controlled by those factions?

Not that I have a suggestion of where to look, but could you find one of those bounty buyoff kiosks in a system outside of space controlled by those factions?

I'll try that, thanks!

Even though my motivation to try is at an all-time low.

Tried to fix my ship storage problems for a while. It's a real balancing act trying to improve one thing without breaking a bunch of others.

I'll stick on a long hab space with connections on the side where I can attach six storage containers! But this crazy long ship now needs more landing gear, so remove two of those storage containers. And now the whole thing is heavy, so can I replace engines to compensate? And a better reactor to power the engines?

Finished the Vanguard quest line today.

I refused to cover for Vae Victis, because honestly fuck him. All of my companions have disagreed with me not going with the microbe, which really made me second guess myself lol. The penthouse is quite nice, I've done a little decorating in it.

This worked! I managed to go to Hopetown and clear the bounty.

My next problem (oustide of a few more crashes, even after clearing the queue) is that I need to travel to a faraway system that requires a lot of grav drive. But I'll be greeted by combat, which my far-reaching ship can't handle, and my combat ship obviously can't handle the grav drive, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. I guess there is a way to improve the combat ship with the godawful ship system, but even if that would be the case, I'm out of credits. On top of me despising space combat and still not really caring for the story, I've had it. Even if I manage to progress (I will give this a few google searches) I'm giving this game one more chance and then I'm shelving it in favour of Sea of Stars or something.

Apologies if this comes across as excess negativity, I'm trying to be critical of the game, but it's hard in this instance to be so without a shred of feeling thoroughly annoyed.

This worked! I managed to go to Hopetown and clear the bounty.

My next problem (oustide of a few more crashes, even after clearing the queue) is that I need to travel to a faraway system that requires a lot of grav drive. But I'll be greeted by combat, which my far-reaching ship can't handle, and my combat ship obviously can't handle the grav drive, so I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, so to speak. I guess there is a way to improve the combat ship with the godawful ship system, but even if that would be the case, I'm out of credits. On top of me despising space combat and still not really caring for the story, I've had it. Even if I manage to progress (I will give this a few google searches) I'm giving this game one more chance and then I'm shelving it in favour of Sea of Stars or something.

Apologies if this comes across as excess negativity, I'm trying to be critical of the game, but it's hard in this instance to be so without a shred of feeling thoroughly annoyed.
If you manage to dodge space persuers for a little bit, hiding behind line of sight (asteroid etc) and putting some distance between you and the enemy, you can grav jump during combat. Should be able to just jump small increments as well, so you could probably pull it off with your combat ship as long as you only go one system at a time.

If you manage to dodge space persuers for a little bit, hiding behind line of sight (asteroid etc) and putting some distance between you and the enemy, you can grav jump during combat. Should be able to just jump small increments as well, so you could probably pull it off with your combat ship as long as you only go one system at a time.

I need to land on the planet where the combat is taking place, and you can’t do any non-gravity jump during combat.

EDIT: Managed to do it in the silliest way possible. When you grav jump to a planet, there's like a 3-second interval between you arriving, and the space combat starting, so I managed to pull out the scanner and point it on the landing spot just in time.

Beat the game, too.

Last edited:
Some of the bugs in the game are so weird lol. Don't really play bethesda game but I take it these bugs are the bethesda jank people love to talk about. I'm not really pressed about the bugs because they've only impacted side missions. There is a ship bug where it just doesnt show on a launchpad. That one sucked lol.

Also, encumbrance is a great way for me to avoid going on adventure lmao. A little counterproductive but I get why it exists.

So I finished the Freestar Ranger quest line today. Not quite as interesting as the Vanguard but the reward is amazing. I also did Andreja's companion quest and we're besties now.

I liked learning a bit more about House Va'ruun, but man I wish they had more involvement in the game. Seems like such a missed opportunity. Maybe the DLC will rectify this.

Encountered a few more bugs too. Andreja was stuck sounding like she had her spacesuit on for a good while, and at one point she just fucking died. She got better though. Then everyone disappeared from my ship so I decided to call it a day.

Okay, I lied, I went back and played a little more. The crew returned to my ship after a grav jump, so that's good. But I ended up starting "Entangled" and goddamn I love it. I had to stop because I knew I'd be up later than I should be if I kept going. Waiting to play after work tomorrow will be torture, haha.

I find myself enjoying this game more and more each time I play it. My only major gripe is that traversing planets by foot takes forever. Some type of vehicle would have been great. Also, navigating menus can be a tad cumbersome. But I kinda...love everything else. It's a much more chill experience than I expected. But that gives the game such a unique vibe. Like, I have a hard time putting it down because it just pulls me in. One big part of that is the amazing OST.

I just love the whole concept behind this game and its story: "What's out there?" I've asked myself that question since I was a kid, but now I get to experience it here in this massive game. That sense of wonder keeps me coming back for more. No idea how I'd score the game yet. But I'm also not worried about it. I'm just enjoying the ride.

Was looking at some of my character stats. 43 days passed, 32 hours slept, 0 food eaten. That's healthy, right?

Spoilers related to main quest mission "Starborn".
This seems like one of those times the game isn't built to properly match my experiences in veering off the track a bit. After first encountering the Starborn, everyone in Constellation is talking about what incredible technology they have and what a danger they could be and yada yada yada. But since then visiting more temples and just randomly while cruising the galaxy I've run across these guys in combat on the ground and in the sky and prevailed. Really feels like I ought to be telling the rest of Constellation about this!

Actually, before I started running across them in space battles, it was proper creepy when I'd see that the Starborn seemed to be following me around and would frequently land near where I was on a planet, just doing nothing and not able to be interacted with by me in any way other than taking selfies with it.

I think I have like 20 hours on modding/performance tweaking xD. I like the game but that time wasted on not playing the game hurts. The wierdest way I can describe this game is it feels like Oblivion, Mass Effect, or Minecraft depending on what your doing. Alot of the quests and game mechanics remind me of Oblivion, while the standard way I travel via quick travel and explore small areas of a planet is like Mass Effect. When I do a chill session and just explore a planet, research the fauna, and build stuff it feels closer to a game like Minecraft to me.

shipbuilding was not meant for the xbox lmao. They really slapped together nonsense and said "deal with it."

I really thought I was going to be able to upgrade my cargo hold but you cannot rotate them 90 degrees. That is...something.

It's a shame that they didn't come up with a more elegant way of acquiring the artifacts and powers. Some quest for getting artefacts are fun and interesting but most of them are just like travel to a planet and go into some abandon research post or mine and kill some spacers and collect the artifact. The powers are super tedious to get since you just fast travel to a planet, bunny hop for 1000m and then do the floating thing and kill a starborn. It would have been neat if each power were gained by going through a dungeon in which you had to utilize the power for example. And that's just the most basic approach one can think of. Also it would have been more interesting if more side quests and faction quests tied in with the artifacts. Especially since you don't have to get them all it would have been cool if for example a side track of the Vanguard or Freestar quest was connected to the artifacts.

Just wanted to say that the quest 'Entangled' was super cool and good. I wish more quest did such cool things.

Also finding myself enjoying this far more the more I play it.

Stick to the main / side quests, don't pick up everything and you'll have a good time. It's not like Fallout or Skyrim where just wandering off into the wilderness is going to lead you to results - the equivalent here is instead warping into a new system and getting a distress call or some such. That's where the game says "Hey, look over here". Whereas once you're actually on a random patch of planet you're in procedurally generated country.

Also - I can't find anything about this anywhere and it's frustrating the shit out of me - how do crew skills work? I have two people with outpost engineering and outpost management set to my base but I don't receive the benefits at all.

Is there any guide to how crew skills work or are they bugged? There's conflicting info everywhere about this.

I'm very slowly getting into this game. Trying minimal fast travel and playing as immersively as possible, although the game's reliance on menus similarily to Tears of the Kingdom takes me out of it.

Also just don't feel like talking to anybody for some reason. They go on for far too long and they're pretty off-putting in general.

Also really disliked the themed-birthday-party-esque opening. 'Your going to send ME into this cave to find artifact that will give ME a special vision and then someone else who also shares that experience is like "Fuck it, you're more special," So they're giving ME their space ship and their robot to be the savior of the galaxy or whatever. You guys, this is definitely the best birthday ever.' Ugh.

I do like all the little art statues everywhere. Also I guess I'm collecting coffee mugs which don't really make sense in low gravity or space ships. You and your crew would be lousy with scalding coffee burns constantly. "Hey I'm making some coffee. Would you like some?"
"No, I just got out of the infirmary from the last cup that nearly killed me."
"Oh, that explains all the gauze."
"Uh huh."

Anyways aside from all that, still going to chip away at it slowly and see if I begin to like it more. Less than 10 hours in, and just got to the shipyard outside of Earth/Luna.

So I finished the Freestar Ranger quest line today. Not quite as interesting as the Vanguard but the reward is amazing. I also did Andreja's companion quest and we're besties now.

I liked learning a bit more about House Va'ruun, but man I wish they had more involvement in the game. Seems like such a missed opportunity. Maybe the DLC will rectify this.

Encountered a few more bugs too. Andreja was stuck sounding like she had her spacesuit on for a good while, and at one point she just fucking died. She got better though. Then everyone disappeared from my ship so I decided to call it a day.

House Va'ruun feels like a faction/questline they had to cut to ship. Lots of interesting intrigue and tidbits about them, but ultimately the zealots just show up a few times and that's that. I definitely think that is an easy area to expand with DLC.

Funnily enough I also encountered the Andreja spacesuit bug, had to fully reboot the console to fix it lol.

House Va'ruun feels like a faction/questline they had to cut to ship. Lots of interesting intrigue and tidbits about them, but ultimately the zealots just show up a few times and that's that. I definitely think that is an easy area to expand with DLC.

Funnily enough I also encountered the Andreja spacesuit bug, had to fully reboot the console to fix it lol.
Agreed, and I'm hoping they do expand on them in the DLC.

Apparently that bug can happen to any companion, haha. I would occasionally hear them talk like they were in their suits when I first got on my ship, but Andreja got stuck with it for over an hour.

It never struck me how important 'polish' was to my enjoyment of a video game. There's so much jank in Starfield, my first Bethesda game, that I'm finding it really hard to truly love it or even enjoy it all that much.

I'd probably give it a 7/10 too tbh. All the early artefact quests were so dull and repetitive and the end of the "Into the Unknown" quest was so shoddily presented both visually and from a gameplay perspective. In fact none of the main missions so far have been particularly interesting. They're all very samey. Reminds me of Ghost of Tsushima.

It's also weird how there's almost no cutscenes in the game. I dunno, I'm finding it all a bit of a mess tbh.

I go on a whole mission with Sam and Cora, then we get back to the Lodge, I walk towards Cora seconds later and she goes "Hi, who are you?". :rolleyes:

Last edited:
It's also weird how there's almost no cutscenes in the game. I dunno, I'm finding it all a bit of a mess tbh.
No cutscenes is a Bethesda staple, they pretty much always do that. All the in-game scenes and events just happen as your character witnesses them as if you were playing normally. Which I can see the reasoning for, but personally have never loved either. I am definitely pro-cutscene in general.

I've reached the final part of the main quest, I think (finished "Entangled" which was amazing). I do think I wanna track down the rest of the powers before I finish it, and I may as well finish the Crimson Fleet quest line too. Got a solid 52 hours in now, and I can see it lasting longer with NG+ and all.

Fellow PC and especially NVIDIA users: Following the various mods as they've been added to Nexus Mods, I saw a few similar to this one Starfield Performance Tweaks - 20 percent more FPS with the same quality and took a look. There are two tweaks there, one of which is regarding an NVIDIA RTX feature called resizable bar. I had to toggle it on in my motherboard BIOS, then make sure the right things were set in NVIDIA Profile Inspector (though they already seemed to be that way when I loaded it up), and going back in the game it has made a pretty big difference. Not an equivalent amount of improvement in all circumstances, but walking around New Atlantis is greatly improved. My FPS is hanging out more in the upper 40s versus mid 30s before.
NVIDIA said:
What Is Resizable BAR?

Resizable BAR is an optional PCI Express interface technology. As you move through a world in a game, GPU memory (VRAM) constantly transfers textures, shaders and geometry via many small CPU to GPU transfers.

With the ever-growing size of modern game assets, this results in a lot of transfers. Using Resizable BAR, assets can instead be requested as-needed and sent in full, so the CPU can efficiently access the entire frame buffer. And if multiple requests are made, transfers can occur concurrently, rather than queuing.
Reading that, it makes sense that a busy place like a hub city would be helped a lot.

Just finished Barrett's personal quest and I declared my love !

I appreciate that many NPCs remember what you tell them, and not only companions during personal dialogue.

Got recruted by Ryujin Industries on Neon and it got so sweet to have Barrett encouraging me just before the interview and then having my boss telling me how stupid my CV is (because I pretty much choose at random, I didn't know at this point that it was a big faction you can join, just a side quest) but after proving myself, I got the job and... they doesn't seem very friendly ^^;

Last edited:
Spent most of the day working on the Crimson Fleet quest line. This one is up there with the Vanguard as a great quest line. I appreciate how different all the faction quests are, both in tone and in terms of what you actually end up doing.

Fellow PC and especially NVIDIA users: Following the various mods as they've been added to Nexus Mods, I saw a few similar to this one Starfield Performance Tweaks - 20 percent more FPS with the same quality and took a look. There are two tweaks there, one of which is regarding an NVIDIA RTX feature called resizable bar. I had to toggle it on in my motherboard BIOS, then make sure the right things were set in NVIDIA Profile Inspector (though they already seemed to be that way when I loaded it up), and going back in the game it has made a pretty big difference. Not an equivalent amount of improvement in all circumstances, but walking around New Atlantis is greatly improved. My FPS is hanging out more in the upper 40s versus mid 30s before.

Reading that, it makes sense that a busy place like a hub city would be helped a lot.

Yeeeah I gotta hop on this, see if I can squeeze a few more frames from my RTX 3060. Thanks for the post!

Just finished Barrett's personal quest and I declared my love !

I appreciate that many NPCs remember what you tell them, and not only companions during personal dialogue.
Got recruted by Ryujin Industries on Neon and it got so sweet to have Barrett encouraging me just before the interview and then having my boss telling me how stupid my CV is (because I pretty much choose at random, I didn't know at this point that it was a big faction you can join, just a side quest) but after prooving myself, I got the job and... they doesn't seem very friendly ^^;

Ryujin has been pretty interesting so far. I'm going to try and knock it out tonight or tomorrow, I'm curious how it'll end. I don't see many talking about this one compared to the UC Vanguard or Crimson Raiders so I do hope it ends in a great way.

Why are the menus so bad? Why aren't weapons of the same type grouped together in the menu so you can compare them? Why is there like 3 different ways to access the map / fast travel, with none of them easy to understand? Why is the local map so useless? Why are all the old animation issues with the Bethesda engine still so painfully apparent? Why do you still get stuck on level geometry so much? I'm also a little tired of having to scavenge a ridiculous amount of items in every place I go. I'd love a scanner that only highlights actually useful/valuable items - because there's just too much shit to shift through here.
If you are playing on PC, I strongly recommand you to install StarUI, it is an inventory mod that not only shows you how many items and weight you have for each category (weapons, suits etc) but also this :

773-1694399160-528095411.jpeg

The good news is : since this doesn't require an external software like StarField Script Extender (and unlike SkyUI for Skyrim), this should be compatible with the Xbox version as soon as mods comes (in 2024).

https://www.nexusmods.com/starfield/mods/773?tab=description&BH=0

Last edited:
I've definitely sunk skill points and money into ship building, and my problems with inventory are a lot less now that I have 3000+ on my ship. It will be better eventually, but my ship is a bit of an ugly mess right now. Since leveling up the ship parts skill requires buying unique parts, it incentivizes doing things like buying lots of parts that don't match, or finding cheap parts that can be stuck on without affecting much.

Back
Top Bottom