• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Spoiler The Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom - Pre-Release Spoiler Discussion Thread (Tag Story Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like there's some debunking of the translation going on in the Reddit thread. People are questioning the Japanese translation.
Yeah when I saw the group who did the translating I had some reservations. GameOverJesse has been posting translations on his YouTube for months, and the comments always have native Japanese speakers saying the methodology/translations make little sense.

Not against the idea though. I've long thought it was a possibility. Just not sold on these translations

Yeah when I saw the group who did the translating I had some reservations. GameOverJesse has been posting translations on his YouTube for months, and the comments always have native Japanese speakers saying the methodology/translations make little sense.

Not against the idea though. I've long thought it was a possibility. Just not sold on these translations

I have a feeling it won't be possible to translate the Zonai until after the game is out. Which honestly isn't so bad, we're less than 2 months away.

"In Tears of the Kingdom, not only can you change the world, but fly free as well. See you at release!"

- Aonuma in the OLED announcement video

Last edited:
I feel like the whole "change the world" thing might have already been seen. The shot of Link rotating the piece of the Sky Island lead many to assume the Islands were the shrine replacements, but given what we can gleam from the art book, that doesn't actually seem to be the case, rather the green spirals are the shrines of this game, making the ability to alter the landscape of that sky island just something that's natural to said Island, and I think that sorta interactivity might be much more expansive then we thought.

Like BOTW for example has a fairly static world, you can't do much to it and you can't interact much with it, but if they were to change that and allow us to change elements to it, like itself was in turn one giant shrine, that would definitely be a justifiable reason for why they chose to reuse the world, add the ability to rebuild settlements to your liking and the whole "shaped by the players creativity" makes sense all of the sudden.

Last edited:
What does "change the world" tell us that we didn't already suspect?
Well if it's being used as a tag line, I'd say quite a bit

We knew the world would change over the course of the game thanks to various trailer inconsistencies. This implies that said changes are core to the gameplay and may even have a degree of player control.

Which may also mean that there are more drastic changes to the overworld that we simply haven't seen yet due to the trailers taking place before they happen, which is a fun idea (even if I wouldn't personally put much stock in it)

That's a nice tagline. Haven't seen much "free flying" though - you have to jerryrig a wonkcopter according to the final trailer - but unlocking more and more free forms of flying until you finally get a loftwing near the end could be part of the gameplay loop.
We knew the world would change over the course of the game thanks to various trailer inconsistencies. This implies that said changes are core to the gameplay and may even have a degree of player control.
I had the idea of the skylands being sent up into the sky by Link himself, and them ultimately forming a consistent whole. That could tick the box, but knowing Nintendo it might be something altogether more crazy.

47 days...

We minecraft now?
I doubt we'll have true free form control to that degree, I just don't see how that's feasible or honestly even fun in a game like this

I think we'll most likely just be able to trigger specific changes, with maybe some variation on how those changes play out. Like I could see us being able to cause Sky Islands to appear, and maybe move them around a bit. But I can't see us being able to actually create the landmasses.

But even that degree of control has a lot of potential for puzzles and gameplay flow. I could see it being fun trying to figure out what islands to move where to create a route to something or another

That's a nice tagline. Haven't seen much "free flying" though - you have to jerryrig a wonkcopter according to the final trailer - but unlocking more and more free forms of flying until you finally get a loftwing near the end could be part of the gameplay loop.

I had the idea of the skylands being sent up into the sky by Link himself, and them ultimately forming a consistent whole. That could tick the box, but knowing Nintendo it might be something altogether more crazy.

47 days...
You forget about the Zonai mechanical bird from the first trailer?
lKurm87.jpg

For me, that "change the world" is the entire reason why they are reusing the same map. At this point of time, with 6 years of development, it's obvious that they are not reusing the map in order to save costs or shorten the developmeny. They are doing it because the entire premise of the world only works in an already known environment. I'm 100% convinced that it would have been much easier for them to just replicate Breath of the Wild in another map, but Aonuma and his team is aiming for something bigger and we will realise when the game is in our hands.

Could easily be, yes. This way the discover hyrule in Japan for BotW would make a lot of sense.
Maybe I should play BotW now...

I am really hoping for time travel elements in the past though I really doubt it. If we could see and traverse a vibrant hyrule full of people and compare it with the apocalyptic one in the future... That would be... A dream game for me

The most exciting thing about all this is how that footage showed absolutely none of the new things from the art book.

They're keeping a massive amount of info close to the vest.

The most exciting thing about all this is how that footage showed absolutely none of the new things from the art book.

They're keeping a massive amount of info close to the vest.

Even the Constructor enemies and the pieces of the sky falling mechanic weren't there... how much are they cooking?!

The gameplay showcase was what I expected, at least in terms of story spoilers. For the BOTW gameplay demonstrations, Nintendo was pretty careful about not revealing too many story beats. They were very focused on the mechanics and fighting enemies. In the TGA 2016 demo, they just showed some combat and stopped the demo right before entering that Hylian spring.

I imagine what we see in the art book will be saved for a final trailer. Showing off new story stuff and even environments is better suited for a trailer than long gameplay demos. It is interesting how little overlap their is between the art book and any of the trailers/gameplay demos. At most we see are similar outfits on characters and the sky island aesthetics but that's it. Link's abilities, a core piece of this game, are not even shown in the book.

So, about the gameplay, it seems that it was very early, as early as Link has only 4 hearts and already 4 abilities. This reminds me of the Great Plateau from BotW.

Maybe the abilities will be gained in some forms of shrines, and we’ll get some thing similar to the spirit orbs to be exchanged to more stamina or hearts.

Unless Link begins the game with 4 hearts or we get one from an early boss battle, it seems that the beggining could be similar to BotW but on the sky islands, something that has been speculated time ago.

It’s funny, I’ve seen people interpret artbook images as evidence of lack of dungeons.
... How?
So, about the gameplay, it seems that it was very early, as early as Link has only 4 hearts and already 4 abilities. This reminds me of the Great Plateau from BotW.

Maybe the abilities will be gained in some forms of shrines, and we’ll get some thing similar to the spirit orbs to be exchanged to more stamina or hearts.

Unless Link begins the game with 4 hearts or we get one from an early boss battle, it seems that the beggining could be similar to BotW but on the sky islands, something that has been speculated time ago.
We don't know that those are his only abilities tbf, it's just what they showed off today.

I'm curious if we'll get a diving suit that opens up underwater traversal like the wingsuit presumably opens up new flight/skydiving options.

Whoever that is probably didn't see the text written on some architecture that says "This is most definitely a dungeon"

We don't know that those are his only abilities tbf, it's just what they showed off today.

I'm curious if we'll get a diving suit that opens up underwater traversal like the wingsuit presumably opens up new flight/skydiving options.
One thing that makes me thing we haven't seen all the abilities is that we still don't have a bomb replacement

I kinda wonder if the Sheikah Slate might just return wholesale with all its tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
Staff Communication
Does your post contain any story spoilers? Please err on the side of caution and use spoiler tags before posting it. Failure to do so may result in being banned from the thread.
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom