• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hadn't played a Splatfest in a while and this one was a great one to come back to with the fizzbangs and all three teams being quite even.

Like, people can say whatever they want, of course, but I just don’t understand why it’s so common when it doesn’t even make much sense to use “paint” over “ink” to me. I can’t help but notice and every time I see it it feels so wrong to me, lol. What’s wrong with just using “ink”?
I have the same pet peeve in Pokemon with people using "kill" instead of "KO" or "faint".

I have the same pet peeve in Pokemon with people using "kill" instead of "KO" or "faint".
Same here, that really bothers me as well. Also when people say the same in Splatoon instead of “splat”.

count me firmly on team “ink.” “painting” has always been super weird to me and comes across as something the more serious players say to maintain a level of detachment from what they maybe don’t always want to acknowledge is a somewhat goofy game.
and yeah “kill” in Smash Bros or Pokemon feels that same way to me—maybe I only think that because I never encountered those terms until I became aware of the esports worlds of those games but I do think I’m onto something, even if it’s subconscious for most

Very weird that there’s an empty space on the menu under Grizzco, yet you physically have to go over to the Tableturf area to play it. I wonder if that’s partly the reason why you don’t hear many people talking about the mode.
This has bugged me since launch, honestly. I would play the mode a lot more if I could just quickly travel to it instead of having to exit into the hub and walk over.

count me firmly on team “ink.” “painting” has always been super weird to me and comes across as something the more serious players say to maintain a level of detachment from what they maybe don’t always want to acknowledge is a somewhat goofy game.
and yeah “kill” in Smash Bros or Pokemon feels that same way to me—maybe I only think that because I never encountered those terms until I became aware of the esports worlds of those games but I do think I’m onto something, even if it’s subconscious for most
Even for less goofy games, when there are players who focus more on the competitive side of things there's inevitably going to be a bit of "detachment" from stuff like the lore.
In my case, while I might subconsciously say "paint" from time to time (probably because of conversation flow), I'll still default to something like "KO" as opposed to "kill."

Gonna be honest, that "Into the Light" playing in Inkopolis Square hit me in a way I wasn't expecting. Might have shed a tear...or 3...or a lot...

I usually say 'Kill' in games like this, just automatically. Defeating a enemy, to me, just reads as 'a kill' even if I know that is not actually what it is, haha.
Tho I don't use it in Pokemon.

Anyways, mah boy Big Man for the Big Win. I didn't care for either instrument, but I had to go with the boi.
Fizzbangs were fun, tho it certainly added to the overtuned chaos I think the game has nowadays, haha.
I'd love a side mode that has Fizzbangs.

I prefer to use "kill" because if I had to consistently call them "splats" I'd burst out laughing while trying to win a serious match

Fun anecdote: I've had people who have worked on official Nintendo Splatoon events tell me that saying "kill" anywhere instead of "splat" as part of their events WILL get you reprimanded immediately. They don't fuck around. I've heard of a commentator get reprimanded because they said "ballers of steel" when referring to the Baller special in Splatoon 2.

I prefer to use "kill" because if I had to consistently call them "splats" I'd burst out laughing while trying to win a serious match

Fun anecdote: I've had people who have worked on official Nintendo Splatoon events tell me that saying "kill" anywhere instead of "splat" as part of their events WILL get you reprimanded immediately. They don't fuck around. I've heard of a commentator get reprimanded because they said "ballers of steel" when referring to the Baller special in Splatoon 2.
Yeah that tracks. That commentator would've done numbers on here though :p

Anyway, I'm also on the team of saying "paint." To me it makes it clearer that it refers to the area a weapon actually, well, paints (as opposed to where the ink blobs fly and can hit enemies from, which are not the same). Also, "I'm painting zone" just sounds clearer to me than "I'm inking zone." I vibe with a lot of shortened community terms in general, like "football" for power clam, "pencil" for snipewriter, etc etc. Ultimately stuff that proves clear in callouts also tends to be what is clearest in general communication.

Was doing a Side Order run and came across some dialog from Pearl, saying "Let's paint the floor a different colour!"

First thing my mind went to was the debate in this thread lol

Was doing a Side Order run and came across some dialog from Pearl, saying "Let's paint the floor a different colour!"

First thing my mind went to was the debate in this thread lol
In before "translations aren't canon to the original dialogue". :LOL:

I cannot express how disappointed I am that there still isn't more Shrug stuff. I had once accepted the fact that the shirts would come with Season 7 and the other Splatoon 2 gear but we are still left without a Missus Shrug mug to go with the Mister Shrug mug and there are no Shrug stickers. My Shrug Life locker will never be complete at this rate

I cannot express how disappointed I am that there still isn't more Shrug stuff. I had once accepted the fact that the shirts would come with Season 7 and the other Splatoon 2 gear but we are still left without a Missus Shrug mug to go with the Mister Shrug mug and there are no Shrug stickers. My Shrug Life locker will never be complete at this rate
They're withholding all the Shrug content for the Shrug spinoff obviously!

They're saving it so that when everyone asks them where the third kits are after the seasons are done, they can just point to the latest shrug-season

Decided I've been rusty for too long

Started my children's game bootcamp with Side Order (won with all palettes etc)

Moved onto Octo Expansion, which I've never played

Mem cake rich, flush CQ card;
Campaign beat. What, like it's hard?

Wait, why's this locker open?
An old memory awoken

My hands are sore..
Another hair clip for my drawer

Maybe I'll finally play a ranked game instead of turf war. Maybe

SuPEARLative DLCs/10

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Why did they decide to skip out on SquidBeatz for this game??? I'd have loved to jam to Aquasonic and Ripstop & Go
Thinking about the immense disappointment I felt when I went into the S2 square for the first time and saw the machine was replaced 😔

So what are we thinking... any announcements at the world championship next month?
I'm not expecting anything super concrete - my biggest guesses would be a very general announcement for future plans ("seasons will end but we will still add some weapon kits after!") or an individual part of the next season (a new ranked mode?).

So what are we thinking... any announcements at the world championship next month?

Depends a lot on if they're soft dropping support for the game or if they're officially continuing it.

I'd say we're going to get some more weapon kits and maybe a couple maps and that's it.

We might get weapon kits and continued Splatfests /big runs (but with tricolours/big runs only on old maps) , but anyway, they won't announce that until the actual final season is out.

Maps are already clearly winding down since we only got one this season, and they explicitly told us the Salmon run map was the last.

If they announce anything it will probably be that a map or 2 are getting redone for the mid-season update releasing the following week ahead of Springfest

The very last Splatoon 1 rotation: (Walleye was the first stage I ever played in the first demo so it's a cute send-off)

GKC3niZW8AAEsJm

I don't know how the average person can do well in Challenge. Most of the time, my calculated score is the best score and attempts to play it after that leads to point loss after point loss. The point less also seems to be so much harsher on average compared to point gains. I never had a game where I gain so much points to be happy about, where point losses can reach the 80's like as if the match is fixed against our favour. Sometimes I feel like my playing abilities are deteriorating, even though not long ago I somehow did pretty well in Clam Blitz (the mode that I am least confident in).

I kept racking bronzes and I'd be lucky to get silver (which I have three of), much less gold (which I only have one of).

Thank you for reading.

I just finished Octo Expansion after like 4 years sitting on it.
After beating the Side Order I've seen so many complaints compared to OE which made me interested in how it was like.
Also recent Off the Hook appearance in Sp3 was another plus.
All I remember from 4 years ago about OE was it being too difficult for me (I had only 50 hours in Sp2) & I just kept dying and lost interest until recently.

And the Octo Expansion experience was... one of the best DLCs I've ever purchased.
Honestly it was a peak Splatoon moment for me. Just brilliant.
The difficulty was a bit brutal, still it was very well designed in terms of story, aesthetics, level design, cutscenes, and moreover, bunch of badass music.
Now I can understand why people are complaining so much about SO. I had fun playing SO but it could've been definitely a lot better, as they showed in OE.

Anyways I am glad I played it even it is a bit late. I've always loved Splatoon since 3 was released but I do even more now.

Last edited:
I sorta thought people were being nostalgic when they said Splatoon 1 controlled better than the Switch duo.

Having played a bit tonight… They’re not wrong. There’s something about the Wii U button layout and positioning of everything closer together on the right side that just feels way better than using the Switch layout. I think a lot of this is due to needing to accommodate the button to view the map, and I honestly wonder if there’s anything they could do to address this in the next game. Because I honestly would love to get rid of that map button if there’s a better option.

Were the hosts localization team the same for Splatoon 1’s hosts as with Splatoon 3? Callie and Marie read increasingly stiff and bland like Deep Cut at times.

Been playing OG Splatoon tonight. I know I've messed up my wrists over the years, but 21 year old me must've had wrists of steel to hold this Gamepad for hours at a time. Was fun to play on Saltspray Rig again, though.

Half of me is annoyed Off The Hook doesn't fit the theme, the other half appreciates them serving once again

I sorta thought people were being nostalgic when they said Splatoon 1 controlled better than the Switch duo.

Having played a bit tonight… They’re not wrong. There’s something about the Wii U button layout and positioning of everything closer together on the right side that just feels way better than using the Switch layout. I think a lot of this is due to needing to accommodate the button to view the map, and I honestly wonder if there’s anything they could do to address this in the next game. Because I honestly would love to get rid of that map button if there’s a better option.
I'm not even sure it's particularly the layout as much as the way better response time of the gamepad over the Pro Controller. Last time I played the original and went back to 2, 2 suddenly felt sluggish and unresponsive compared to the first one and 3 flat out feels the same as 2. Really wish they worked on nailing the controls from the first one again.

I'm not even sure it's particularly the layout as much as the way better response time of the gamepad over the Pro Controller. Last time I played the original and went back to 2, 2 suddenly felt sluggish and unresponsive compared to the first one and 3 flat out feels the same as 2. Really wish they worked on nailing the controls from the first one again.
Hell, I once emulated Splatoon 1 with the pro controller as the input method, and despite all the issues with the emulation at the time, that felt more responsive than playing Splatoon 2/3 on native hardware.

I'm just absolutely befuddled how LATE SpringFest is when it's clearly Easter themed. Heck there's definitely some Irish folk influence in the leaked music. It seemed like it should have slotted in either weekend leading up to, or the weekend of, Easter itself, since it would have fallen on Day 2 this year.

It's taking place on the second last weekend of Spring here! Heck, we have a SUMMER FESTIVAL not two weeks after!

I'm glad we're back to global fests, and in a way it was good for OTH to get one "normal", relevant to them fest before a special one, just to show off the Square's default fest appearance. But still! And the theme! It's so weird!

1920x1080_April_FestBoard_EN

Side Order being delayed (according to datamining?) might have pushed things back a bit. They probably wanted one "regular" Splatfest with OTH first to show the new hub/songs.

I got a kill/splat with Gold Dynamo Super Jumping. I'm pretty amazed.

Btw, I'll be team Lil' Bunnies, since those are the most adorable to me.

I'm just absolutely befuddled how LATE SpringFest is when it's clearly Easter themed. Heck there's definitely some Irish folk influence in the leaked music. It seemed like it should have slotted in either weekend leading up to, or the weekend of, Easter itself, since it would have fallen on Day 2 this year.

It's taking place on the second last weekend of Spring here! Heck, we have a SUMMER FESTIVAL not two weeks after!

I'm glad we're back to global fests, and in a way it was good for OTH to get one "normal", relevant to them fest before a special one, just to show off the Square's default fest appearance. But still! And the theme! It's so weird!

1920x1080_April_FestBoard_EN
To be fair, this year's Easter was so early, I literally forgot when it was until like three days before it happened. This date usually would be fine for an Easter themed Splatfest.

Back
Top Bottom