• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Uh, well, I can't speak for whichever region you're in, but Spring only begins in mid-late March and ends mid june; this is slap bang in the middle of how most places define Spring.
Different regions have different climates, influencing their perception of seasons. Metrological Spring starts March 1st in all the Northern Hemisphere, including as recognised by the Japanese meteorological service. Nintendo follows any season that suits them at the time, though.

I'm just absolutely befuddled how LATE SpringFest is when it's clearly Easter themed. Heck there's definitely some Irish folk influence in the leaked music. It seemed like it should have slotted in either weekend leading up to, or the weekend of, Easter itself, since it would have fallen on Day 2 this year.

It's taking place on the second last weekend of Spring here! Heck, we have a SUMMER FESTIVAL not two weeks after!

I'm glad we're back to global fests, and in a way it was good for OTH to get one "normal", relevant to them fest before a special one, just to show off the Square's default fest appearance. But still! And the theme! It's so weird!

1920x1080_April_FestBoard_EN

To be fair, this year's Easter was so early, I literally forgot when it was until like three days before it happened. This date usually would be fine for an Easter themed Splatfest.

Uh, well, I can't speak for whichever region you're in, but Spring only begins in mid-late March and ends mid june; this is slap bang in the middle of how most places define Spring.

Different regions have different climates, influencing their perception of seasons. Metrological Spring starts March 1st in all the Northern Hemisphere, including as recognised by the Japanese meteorological service. Nintendo follows any season that suits them at the time, though.

Can confirm, we've been doing Summer for the last two weeks in here, calendars be damned.

To be fair where I am it's still felt like winter until pretty much today.

It does feel like this should have been the March Splatfest though in terms of theme but I'm not that fussed.

To be fair, Easter more often falls somewhere in April than it does in March, so doing the SpringFest this month is fine in my book.

Finally got my last of the color chip badges which puts me at an even 200. Here's to the next 200

Spain.

Uh, our Spring disagrees with the traditional definition of Spring a bit.
Oh, that makes total sense! Actually I remember my Spanish godmother talking about how long their summer is. Spain gets hot early in the year!

Here our seasons are a set three months but they're tilted back by a month (relative to meteorological seasons), since it's temperate, it rains year-round and our temperature is further regulated by the ocean around us, so our seasons are based on sunlight, basically. The month with the most sunlight is the month in the middle of our summer.

Even after all this months I still have no clue what to do on Glowflies, team decides to do the "wall strategy or the zip lines" and sure nobody dies but nobody can get the eggs, I miss Spaltoon 2's glowflies. Most frustrating part is getting a roller and nobody gets behind me and keep doing that useless "strategy".

When I joined this forum, the last thing I expected to learn in-depth about was all the different ways seasons are defined across the globe, but here we are.
Honestly, between Splatoon 3 making it a feature and Nintendo using it in marketing, I'm surprised we don't discuss it more.

Funnily enough, Nintendo's use of seasons in marketing also directly contradicts Splatoon 3's seasons... In their marketing of Splatoon 3!

It was announced for Summer 2022, never got officially delayed and came out in early September - not Sizzle Season, but Drizzle Season. Marketing said Summer, game says Autumn! Both are correct.

Then Side Order is announced for Spring 2024, and comes out February 2022, not getting officially brought forward. In game it was still Chill Season. Marketing said Spring, game says Winter. Both are correct!

What's extremely odd is that like. For the release window, they use the LATEST definition of Summer, starting on the Solstice and ending on the Equinox. But for Side Order, they use the EARLIEST definition of Spring, starting in February and ending at the end of April! They weren't technically wrong I wouldn't say, but Splatoon 3 is a great example of how to Nintendo... Seasons don't matter that much.

Personally I would prefer them to use quarters and halves, due to differing seasonal systems and the existence of the Southern Hemisphere. Side Order was Q1, Splatoon 3 was Q3. I get Q and H are a bit... "Investor talk"-y, but Nintendo isn't a stranger to saying "the second half" or "the first half" for release windows. Nothing stops them saying "The third quarter of this year.", or, god forbid they have to say "August through October" as a release window!

I don't think it would be more confusing regardless of what form it takes because as it stands, they use whatever season suits them. When they say "Spring", we don't know what that means beyond "Probably after February 1st, and before June 22nd."

(laughs in southern hemisphere)

One thing I actually appreciated ACNH for was the correct seasons. But either way we still celebrate Easter here pretty heavily, so the theme still fits.

Last edited:
I sorta thought people were being nostalgic when they said Splatoon 1 controlled better than the Switch duo.

Having played a bit tonightā€¦ Theyā€™re not wrong. Thereā€™s something about the Wii U button layout and positioning of everything closer together on the right side that just feels way better than using the Switch layout. I think a lot of this is due to needing to accommodate the button to view the map, and I honestly wonder if thereā€™s anything they could do to address this in the next game. Because I honestly would love to get rid of that map button if thereā€™s a better option.
I'm not even sure it's particularly the layout as much as the way better response time of the gamepad over the Pro Controller. Last time I played the original and went back to 2, 2 suddenly felt sluggish and unresponsive compared to the first one and 3 flat out feels the same as 2. Really wish they worked on nailing the controls from the first one again.
It's a hardware issue VS anything the Splatoon devs can do unfortunately. The Switch uses Bluetooth VS the Wii U using 5 GHz Wi-Fi for the GamePad so there's inherently going to be more input lag with 2 and 3, even on emulated hardware.

Replaying 1 has been a fun exercise in thinking "thank goodness 3 doesn't do this" and "why doesn't 3 do this?"

Considering how S2 and S3's Frostyfests took place in January, not December, I don't really find it all that surprising that Springfest is taking place after Easter.
When I joined this forum, the last thing I expected to learn in-depth about was all the different ways seasons are defined across the globe, but here we are.
Yeah, before this game came out, I never really thought of defining a 4-season year in any way that isn't "first day of December/March/June/September."

On one hand, the choices is clearly trying to ride into Frye's favour yet again (because Easter and rabbits are strongly related), but on the other hand, it didn't seem obvious at first glance. I kind of think that Frye is going to lose out again, and it is a prediction that is rarely wrong when there is only one universal Splatfest in her favour (Sweet) and one Japan-only Splatfest.

Personally not sure what to pick but I am leaning on the Bear Cub option. Maybe Shiver will win again like most of the time.

Thank you for reading.

What happened this week, it's nothing but Chargers now. Like, basically every other match has THREE chargers in the same team.
I just did a match with 4 in one team.

Please, stop using chargers, make them go away

Just play brella.

Ez
Ehhh, I still get splatted after the Brella is clearly already up for me. The bad online really messes up for me.
I do play pretty much every weapon. When Chargers piss me off, I'll just switch to Sploosh and farm/spam Wail from a safe distance, hah.

Splatoon 1 is now Splatover. It was really fun going back to it and remembering what some of the old stage layouts were. I'm really curious if we're going to be getting a heavily altered version of Saltspray for 3.

I long for the day when Undercover is at least decent. I almost only play Turf War and even there the Undercover just feels awful. :c
I love the Brella Class, but they still feel a bit wonky overall
I mained the standard Undercover in 2 and made some decent headway into S rank with it and several clutch wins with it. It sucked in Turf Wars there as well.

I mained the standard Undercover in 2 and made some decent headway into S rank with it and several clutch wins with it. It sucked in Turf Wars there as well.
I sadly don't really play much Ranked stuff at all in this game. I only really find Splatzones to be fun, the rest is too chaotic and annoying.
I imagine Undercover is probably better in some of those modes tho, yeah. Cuz it feels so bad in Turf. It just needs a LITTLE more kill power, or soemthing, hah

May have to stop the game at this point, it's just not fun anymore. It's just pure unbalanced chaos and spawn camping hell and explosions.

Last edited:
We should never have allowed Pearl to win the final fest.
That would explain it, haha. I'd have preferred Chaos to be the DLC, instead.
I just really don't like how so much in Splatoon 3 is just 'more'.

Inkstrike is now THREE inkstrikes, Splashdown is now THREE, Killer Wail now can basically hit/disturb everyone in the team, Cooler making everything way faster, extreme Bomb Spam, etc etc.
It just feels like they did not know really what to do so they just 'upped' everything and to me, it's gone a bit too far. It's so much going on all the time, and the (mostly) meatgrinder maps doesn't help.

That would explain it, haha. I'd have preferred Chaos to be the DLC, instead.
I just really don't like how so much in Splatoon 3 is just 'more'.

Inkstrike is now THREE inkstrikes, Splashdown is now THREE, Killer Wail now can basically hit/disturb everyone in the team, Cooler making everything way faster, extreme Bomb Spam, etc etc.
It just feels like they did not know really what to do so they just 'upped' everything and to me, it's gone a bit too far. It's so much going on all the time, and the (mostly) meatgrinder maps doesn't help.
It's like Splatoon 1 except the lack of balance is not pushed far enough to actually be fun

It's like Splatoon 1 except the lack of balance is not pushed far enough to actually be fun
Basically, tho I think Splatoon 3 is overall way more chaotic than 1, haha.
1 was unbalanced as hell, but the amount of fun design in general, from weapons to specials to, especially, stages, made it not FEEL so bad. At least not in Turf.
I think better stages would go a LONG way in making 3 feel less annoying, too.

I hope the final Stage(s) will be nice

May be memory or the absence of Bomb Rush playing tricks on me but I find Splatoon 3 to have less sub pam than Splatoon 2. And specials are less disruptive than Splatoon 2 since Killer Wail 5.1 is no Killer Wail 1.0 let alone Sting Ray and Tenta Missiles is no Tenta Missiles.

That and no Main Power Up makes Splatoon 3 fundamentally less chaotic, more readable, and slowed down compared to Splatoon 2, though the maps giving less down-time on behalf of having less dead space can change that perception.

I hope the final Stage(s) will be nice
Personally, I really hope Snapper Canal does come back. That was my favorite Splatoon 2 map. Every time it came into rotation, I played the 3 minuten recon first, so I could see the freight train pass by, look at the city far away, and I believe there were cute ducks in the water. And overall the design of the stage was beautiful to me. I would really like to have it in Sploon 3 with maybe small changes, and play the 60 minute recon whenever I can.

Personally, I really hope Snapper Canal does come back. That was my favorite Splatoon 2 map. Every time it came into rotation, I played the 3 minuten recon first, so I could see the freight train pass by, look at the city far away, and I believe there were cute ducks in the water. And overall the design of the stage was beautiful to me. I would really like to have it in Sploon 3 with maybe small changes, and play the 60 minute recon whenever I can.
I do miss Snapper Canal. It was very fun, and felt like you at least had some quiet times, rather than being pushed into the meat grinder constantly.
I should Recon more often. The stages are pretty fun to explore and check out stuff you can't really see during Matches.

Don't you take my triple inkstrike away from me! I'm so close to 1,200 wins with it!
Fine, you get 1 day. After that, I'mma delete it and add Sting Ray back. Everyone loved Sting Ray, right?!?!

Triple Inkstrike is fun, by itself I don't mind it, but it is just one part that adds to the 'everything just became more', hah.
I admit, I miss looking down on my GamePad and press deep into Enemy territory to get a cheeky final turf RIGHT as the match was going to end

Trizooka is still OP. Sploon 1 Inkzooka was much better, and you could made some insane Super Jump kills with it.

The most offensive part of Trikzooka in my eyes is how well it works as a panic button.

For other people that is. Whenever I try to use it to get someone off my back, I miss the shot. But everytime I see someone is in special state and about to unload on me or my team and I think my best bet is to not get stuck in no man's land but juke 'em out and get close, their first strike unfailingly deletes me off the map.

The most offensive part of Trikzooka in my eyes is how well it works as a panic button.

For other people that is. Whenever I try to use it to get someone off my back, I miss the shot. But everytime I see someone is in special state and about to unload on me or my team and I think my best bet is to not get stuck in no man's land but juke 'em out and get close, their first strike unfailingly deletes me off the map.
Honestly, they really should make the first shot delay a bit longer. I'd be much more fine with Trizooka if it was actually reactable, heh

Splatoon 3 is now 15 hours away from being my most played Switch game. Will most definitely be overtaking Smash Bros, which I did not expect.

Splatoon 3 is my second most played Switch game. It's uh...not close to beating my first place and my third place is close to it.

...I have over 1500 hours in Three Houses...

Second most played for me, behind only Super Mega Baseball 3 (of course) and ahead of Stardew Valley, but once that Stardew Valley update hits, that's gonna be #2 again for sure.

May be memory or the absence of Bomb Rush playing tricks on me but I find Splatoon 3 to have less sub spam than Splatoon 2.
Some of the strongest subs are on very few weapons compared to the weaker ones, and all lethal bombs had the radius of their 1-shot reduced by 10%. Not to mention the nerf to Last-Ditch effort that happened in this game.

For me Splatoon 3 is my second most played switch game with ~600 hours. On first place is Splatoon 2 :p with 1500+ hours. I think Mario Maker 2 or Smash is third.

For me Splatoon 3 is the second most played game with 700+ hours, which is still very far from the first place... Animal Crossing New Horizons (2200+ hrs)
I think my life is owned by EPD 5 at this point.

Back
Top Bottom