• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Average of 3h16m a day

That sounds a lot more like I have a problem than I thought 😭
Such is the Splatoon way of life. I had the same 'problem' this time last year, where I had 500 hours in 8 months after release. At the time it didn't even feel like I played that much. Anyway, after that it kinda fell off. Most of the 100 hours that I added come from Side Order and the month of NSO I took in Feb of this year.

Here’s where Splatoon 3 currently ranks among my top 10 most-played Switch games:
  1. 1,300 hours — Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  2. 1,005 hours — Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. 540 hours — Splatoon 2
  4. 445 hours — Splatoon 3
  5. 410 hours — Pokémon Café ReMix
  6. 330 hours — Pokémon Sword
  7. 315 hours — Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  8. 220 hours — Ring Fit Adventure
  9. 205 hours — Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  10. 200 hours — Xenoblade Chronicles 3
I’m kinda surprised it hasn’t taken over Splatoon 2 yet with how many hours I’ve put into Side Order compared to Octo Expansion, but I’m sure it’ll catch up eventually!

Last edited:
Splatoon 3 is at 1670 hours for me. I think Splatoon 2 is somewhere north of 2000 hours, but there's no quick way to check that or most of my Top 10 most-played Switch titles without launching those games.

I really wish I could love 3 as much as I did 2. Salmon Run is amazing in 3, but everything else just feels like a mostly cobbled together mess and I absolutely hate it ಥ_ಥ

So…do I want to know the context behind the SCR posts in the plaza or am I better off not knowing?
It's a series of body horror short stories on Twitter by artist FernShaw:

She has some more SCR stories other than this one too, focused on Off the Hook and Yoko & the Gold Bazookas respectively. But if you're sensitive to body horror/rotting it's definitely best to steer clear.

Here’s where Splatoon 3 currently ranks among my top 10 most-played Switch games:
  1. 1,3000 hours — Animal Crossing: New Horizons
  2. 1,005 hours — Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  3. 540 hours — Splatoon 2
  4. 445 hours — Splatoon 3
  5. 410 hours — Pokémon Café ReMix
  6. 330 hours — Pokémon Sword
  7. 315 hours — Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  8. 220 hours — Ring Fit Adventure
  9. 205 hours — Xenoblade Chronicles: Definitive Edition
  10. 200 hours — Xenoblade Chronicles 3
I’m kinda surprised it hasn’t taken over Splatoon 2 yet with how many hours I’ve put into Side Order compared to Octo Expansion, but I’m sure it’ll catch up eventually!
Is that an extra zero for ACNH?

Quoted by: Tye

She has some more SCR stories other than this one too, focused on Off the Hook and Yoko & the Gold Bazookas respectively. But if you're sensitive to body horror/rotting it's definitely best to steer clear.

Welp that was disturbing.

So…do I want to know the context behind the SCR posts in the plaza or am I better off not knowing?

Welp that was disturbing.

Wew. I absolutely hoped I'd never see this trend of fan work after the MLP fandom ended, but here we are.

Congrats to Jackpot! Only got to catch the last game live but I'm excited to check out the VOD later.

Also, I saw a lot of folks being doom-and-gloom on Twitter about how the fact that we got no news at Worlds means that there'll be no more content, and while it would've been hype to get anything it's also important to keep in mind the context: this tournament was meant to take place back in January and likely would've featured the Side Order release date trailer (which was instead dropped on YouTube a few days after the planned date). They likely already have their advertising plan for the foreseeable future planned out already so it also would've been tough to move something else to Worlds on such short notice. If there is a content extension, for example, then they also already definitely have a plan for where to advertise it - be it at the end of the Sizzle trailer, at a June Nintendo Direct, or maybe simply as a trailer drop a few weeks before Drizzle 2024 would drop. Moving that to Worlds (especially before Sizzle is even announced) would be a pretty big shake-up.

That said, it would've been fun to get a look at the (very likely) upcoming stage renovation or something, but that also would be kind of a nothingburger news-wise of course.

At best I thought they could maybe announce the datamined Side Order Pearl and Marina amiibo here; bit early for a content extension announcement given we aren't even in the final season of initially planned updates yet. No big deal in the end though, the former can show up anytime on Twitter (like the Deep Cut amiibo) or even as a Direct announcement (like some other amiibo last year) come June; and if the latter is happening we'll probably know closer to when it'd actually be a relevant announcement to make (people seem to have forgotten that the 2018 World Championships, where they announced Splatoon 2's support extension, was just a month before the initially planned end date; they waited as late as possible and just so happened to have a timely avenue to make the announcement).

Feel like a lot of Twitter reactions i've seen in general are really forgetting this event was supposed to happen in January, and as already said above it's obvious what they would've shown if the event had been able to occur as planned.

I've been doing so well tonight that I actually got into the Top 2500 for X Battle Splat Zones for the first time... only for my next several matches to see my teammates run into the enemy like lemmings, but hey, moving on up in the world. Now if only I can be that good in the other ranked modes.

People who leave in comp matches when one side has a big early lead so the match stops are sooooo lame. Just had it happen in one of mu rank up games with a big rainmaker lead, someone on the other team clearly just hits the power button 40 seconds in 🤨

Undertow renovation time.

Aesthectic wise, I wasn't really a fan of this map. The layout neither, but it grew up on me slowly. I wonder what they're about to change here, but was really hoping Hagglefish or Hammerhead were getting a renovation.

The fact that the wacky multiplayer shooter has so far had a consistent canon and timeline intrigues me, I really wonder how far they can push this.

Side Order explicitly being 5+ years after Octo Expansion means that Pearl should have a canon age of 26 while still being an idol? Even if they do successfully implement vague cartoon aging, keeping a blend of new and old characters in the mix is eventually going to get tough.

Quoted by: Tye
The fact that the wacky multiplayer shooter has so far had a consistent canon and timeline intrigues me, I really wonder how far they can push this.

Side Order explicitly being 5+ years after Octo Expansion means that Pearl should have a canon age of 26 while still being an idol? Even if they do successfully implement vague cartoon aging, keeping a blend of new and old characters in the mix is eventually going to get tough.
It’s safe to say that Inklings and Octolings age quite differently than humans, given that Cuttlefish is over 130 years old and Octavio must be around the same age, so I don’t think the characters aging is going to be much of a problem for future games.

They've got much more immediate problems than concerns about aging anyway, in that the constantly growing cast can't all be supported. It's not an uncommon opinion that Deep Cut kind of got shafted compared to Squid sisters, and Off the Hook got the DLC campaign to themselves. Agent 4 was basically a footnote in the DLC campaign, and how they could possibly service another new major idol group in Splat4 while giving attention to the 3 major ones already in 3 is going to be a tough ask.

They've got much more immediate problems than concerns about aging anyway, in that the constantly growing cast can't all be supported. It's not an uncommon opinion that Deep Cut kind of got shafted compared to Squid sisters, and Off the Hook got the DLC campaign to themselves. Agent 4 was basically a footnote in the DLC campaign, and how they could possibly service another new major idol group in Splat4 while giving attention to the 3 major ones already in 3 is going to be a tough ask.
What if Final Fest is the option to choose between Squid Sisters, Off the Hook and Deep Cut and the winner becomes to idol group for the 4th game, and so no need to make another one?

What if Final Fest is the option to choose between Squid Sisters, Off the Hook and Deep Cut and the winner becomes to idol group for the 4th game, and so no need to make another one?

I doubt they'd want to do that because merchandising the new idols is a big part of the Splatoon income

That would be a fascinating Splatfest though just to see who gets assigned which option, unless they throw that format out the window and, surprise, all three idol groups are here to pitch their case!

That would be a fascinating Splatfest though just to see who gets assigned which option, unless they throw that format out the window and, surprise, all three idol groups are here to pitch their case!
I think it could be a good fest. Maybe the second anniversary fest, then final fest on anniversary, well, three.

They can't stop making new idol groups yet, because 4 and 5 is the perfect number of members to give us the Inkopolis version of a boy band.

It's all leading up to the eventual all idols past and present supergroup in Splatoon 50, anyway.

While I want Splatoon 4 in the first year or two of the new console, I don't expect it and I'm not even sure it'll be called 4.

In the meantime I think I could go for a remaster of the first game and all its silliness.

While cool, honestly I hope the last Splatfest isn't about "which idol group do you like the best?" because usually some people take Splatfests too seriously and Splatoon idol discourse is already insufferable. It's been eight years and some people hasn't been over Callie vs Marie Splatfest.

The final splatfest will be protons vs electrons vs neutrons and the losers will be eliminated by Lil' Judd resulting in some kind of unimaginable destruction of the universe

Watched the World Championship finals today...

Coolest part of the tournament - yes, cooler even than the german heels losing in an epic semi - was seeing how the awkward situation and crowdless environment didn't dent the emotions of the winners in the slightest. Those were four happy, teary-eyed, adorable faces.

People on r/Splatoon seem to think the final splatfest will be Past/Present/Future and shape the next game like Chaos/Order did this one.
The actual theme is obviously wrong due to the way Chaos and Order already drew on a lot of past/future vibes. But now I want it to be true just for the troll outcome of Present winning and keeping things boring.

The actual theme is obviously wrong due to the way Chaos and Order already drew on a lot of past/future vibes. But now I want it to be true just for the troll outcome of Present winning and keeping things boring.
That would never happen. It's the middle option and therefore Frye's.

People on r/Splatoon seem to think the final splatfest will be Past/Present/Future and shape the next game like Chaos/Order did this one.
What kind of past? The still 80's/90's inspired era, of medieval/western/feudal Japan inspired? Cause I would love to see some wild west stages, or medieval castles, and perhaps Skipper Pavilion could be finished by then, as that stage was in construction iirc.

I haven't watched the Splatoon tournament, due to busy real life stuff. But aren't these four characters on the banner, just the standard characters that are shown in the promotional art of the game? Or do I get something wrong?

I haven't watched the Splatoon tournament, due to busy real life stuff. But aren't these four characters on the banner, just the standard characters that are shown in the promotional art of the game? Or do I get something wrong?

"Will be created" is the operative statement here. As the pictures mention, this is just a sample, not the final banner.

GLTFf37WUAAaY9e

Custom Explosher is good* actually.

Recently got Custom Jet Squelcher to five stars - only my second 5* weapon after original Explosher, though Hydra is mighty close to becoming the third - so was looking for a new mainstay in Splat Zones and gave the Meme Explo a shot. Splash Wall just about makes the match-up against Pencil barely tolerable and Triple Splashdown sometimes allows you to trade where otherwise an enemy who got too close would have fed on a free kill. Neither special or sub are great, but it helps that Point Sensor and Ink Storm weren't high impact actions either.

*where good = kinda playable a little bit

Last edited:
Custom Explosher is good* actually.

Recently got Custom Jet Squelcher to five stars - only my second 5* weapon after original Explosher - so was looking for a new mainstay in Splat Zones and thus gave the Meme Explo a shot. Splast Wall just about makes the match-up against Pencil bearable and Triple Splashdown sometimes allows you to trade where otherwise an enemy who got too close would have gotten a free kill. Neither special or sub are great, but it helps that Point Sensor and Ink Storm weren't high impact actions either.

*where good = kinda playable a little bit
I feel like having a panic option is actually quite strong on Explosher in this game, if you activate it early enough it can keep you alive really well and it helps it cap zone more consistently too. It's not quite the panic option Baller was in Splatoon 2, but it does the job.

I feel like having a panic option is actually quite strong on Explosher in this game, if you activate it early enough it can keep you alive really well and it helps it cap zone more consistently too. It's not quite the panic option Baller was in Splatoon 2, but it does the job.

Zones cheese is its other strong suit, yeah. Even compared to the OG Explo. Ink Storm is safer and offers more control overall, but plenty times the most important thing in the world is to just stop the timer right now, no matter if you die immediately afterwards.

Back
Top Bottom