• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Splatoon 3 |ST| The Mammal with the Three Golden Eggs (Jackpot wins worlds!)

Which instrument would you play?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This patch doesn't seem all that bad. Lots of buffs to weaker weapons and they seem to have addressed bugs with certain weapons like Brella that made them weaker. No direct Trizooka nerfs if you were holding for that though.
"Slightly expanded shots’ collision detection with players to make it easier to hit opponents." for Sploosh-o-matics... why?! Those are already practically melee weapons that are insta-kills if you get close enough.

A decrease to the Triple Splashdown radius is welcome, it's such an annoying spawn camp killer if your team is struggling

SBLAST BUFF LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOO

splatoon-splatoon-3.gif

Last edited:
These improvements are nice, even though none of them involve weapons that I would have liked improvements on. Clash Blaster, Reefslider, Curling Bomb, and Super Chump are my most wanted improvements. I guess at least some Super Chump weapons like NZap 89 and Gold Dynamo Roller can output more Super Chumps.

Other than that, Luna Blaster getting more paint for not hitting others is kind of decent, as well as how S-Blast gets a radius improvement for its ranged attack. This is sorely needed because the ranged blast is rather small, thus making them difficult to hit.

Thank you for reading.

This season kinda feels like it's dragging lol. I suppose it didn't add much outside of SO which I mostly stopped playing (I have about 3 palettes left that are weapons I don't like, I'll get to it.)

They're changing Spillway? Finally. Awful, awful stage. Hope it'll become at least decent, hah.

Still nothing done to Trizooka tho, huh. Oh well, maybe next time

What are the competitive players' consensus on Undertow Spillway? Looking at videos, some of the changes seem impactful, like the centre of the bump in the middle getting lowered, and an open area near the side underneath the raised area.

But it might also be inconsequential so I do not know...

Thank you for reading.

(Also, when the dataminers post stuff on Twitter or X, could those posts be posted here too? Things can also include parameter changes by LeanYoshi.)

What are the competitive players' consensus on Undertow Spillway? Looking at videos, some of the changes seem impactful, like the centre of the bump in the middle getting lowered, and an open area near the side underneath the raised area.
ProChara was pretty down on it when streaming his reaction. He called it a 2% improvement. Then again I think most are used to that kind of reaction by now. Can't tell you what other competitive players think since I've kind of stopped following the wider competitive scene.

I think the changes are good but they're probably not as big as I imagine some people would've hoped after hearing the word "rework". My main beef with the map was how congested the mid point was; I didn't care about flanks or whatever, I just didn't think it was fun to maneuver around and play in the most pivotal area of the map. This rework basically addresses that while not giving a whole bunch beyond that, which is fine enough for me.

With this we can confirm that next Season's map (possibly the final map if there's no content extension) is new, as the English name starts with "Le".

Splatoon got supported for 1 year
Splatoon 2 got supported for 2 years
Splatoon 3...

I mean, if you're counting Splatoon 2 as supported for two years when the only new content that wasn't splatfest/amiibo related for the 6 months of 2019 up to the 2 year anniversary and the final fest was a single set of weapons, sure. I can imagine that up happening.

I mean, if you're counting Splatoon 2 as supported for two years when the only new content that wasn't splatfest/amiibo related for the 6 months of 2019 up to the 2 year anniversary and the final fest was a single set of weapons, sure. I can imagine that up happening.
Oh I was under the impression there were constant updates until the Final Fest since I didn't get to play it until September 2019. I would still consider non-rerun Splatfests ongoing support though, even if minimal.

Late to the party, but I finally finished Side Order (well, one palette, at least). Octo was more like my cup of tea, but this expansion was excellent as well and made me even more thirsty for a full-fledged single-player Splatoon spin-off.

Side Order also made me think about how easily Splatoon mechanics can be melded with other genres / games. The campaigns of Splatoon 1 and 2 were close to an action/shooter Mario Galaxy. Octo was Splatoon + Portal. Side was Splatrogue. Maybe a mode with stealth elements could work.

Undertow Spillway is looking spiffy. I haven't had a chance to test the map changes in actual battle yet, but from a peaceful stroll through the renovated scenery, I'm liking every decision made here. Mind you, I liked Undertow in the old form, too, at least on Splat Zones and Turf War, with a couple things holding it back which the new architecture adresses without uprooting Undertow's gameplay identity: Approach options from respawn are now better, fighting in the middle will be more varied, and the reduced gap between the sniper roofs gives mid-range weapons a way to challenge backliners camping up there that doesn't rely on a lucky bomb or a valuable special or locking the entire enemy team out of their front half first.

Tower Control is the mode I most want to try to see if it feels any better pushing or defending certain points along the path. Rainmaker had some of the same problems, just a bit less so. Clam Blitz I couldn't compare because the times I've played it pre-patch may be in fact zero.

Non-finalized verdict: Undertow Spillway is better now and was always decent.

Sadly, I'm not the competitive community. Fortunately, history has shown the competitive community eventually catches up with my semi-informed low skill tier takes as happened previously with "Splat Zones is the best mode, actually" and "Cooler is a bad problem for balance, actually" at least for a little while, so you can count on the fact that one day for a fleeting moment in time "Undertow Spillway is a good map, actually" will also become consensus (before it is not again).

Comp player here:

Map went from "meh" to "meh but I guess it's better"

The countdown to the Chara video about a zones only tournament with Undertow Spillway as one of the maps in rotation potentially being a good idea worthy of serious consideration starts today!

y'know I would like this game a lot more if it didn't have any competitive following at all

or at the very least I'd like talking about it online more

Why was that update so big? I had to clear a little space and evidently it was about 2 GBs.

Man it's going to take a while to badge all the octo replica weapons, but I should get the first done this weekend

Played two full rotations of zones and one full rotation of tower control in sub-2000 X-rank on Undertow Spillway and can say the changes have had no discernible effect on how the map functions on the macro or micro level - not in how matches flow nor in how fights play out - and lock-outs are not alleviated just like choke points are still as strong as ever.

I thought there'd be subtle but meaningful improvements. Those haven't materialized in practice. Maybe it's the fault of players behaving like they always did and needing more time to tweak their own engagement patterns. Maybe. More likely I overestimated how much the layout tweaks could be incorporated into new strategies.

Why was that update so big? I had to clear a little space and evidently it was about 2 GBs.

Man it's going to take a while to badge all the octo replica weapons, but I should get the first done this weekend
Did they revise a bunch of textures? Add a tonne of in-progress stuff for next season? I have no clue. Maybe they fixed the Big Run Square.

This Splatfest for OCE servers is cooked, seems most of the good JP players joined Team Bunny and are spawncamping us poor Lil' Chicks. Don't think I'm gonna be playing much of this one.

Played Open with a friend as Team Bear and we played Team Bunny 39/40 times. Only battle against Chicks was against 4 NZap 89s who promptly annihilated us. I wanted to join Team Bunny from the start but ended up on Team Bear so I could play with my friend, so I won’t complain if Frye finally gets her win.

Was fun to play again after having out it down for a year, even if it wasn’t the pretty. We went 16-24 overall, 4-18 on our first map rotation. But 4 of those wins were 10x battles and we only lost two, so 43-42 on the night. Hope you enjoy that one single win we got you, Big Man.

Absolutely hate Barnacle and Dime, but loved ROM-en. Favorite map since New Albacore and MakoMart.

The pink and blue ink combo looks so good on these stages. They should make it a permanent color scheme.

Thanks to this Splatfest I've discovered that light pink and light blue would be the perfect color lock option for my eyes. The whole pastel palette in general works well, so long as the shades are actually allowed to rest and not overlayed with bright effects.

Whatever final fest choice has the best chance of fitting a desaturated water color look for Splatoon 4 is gonna get my vote.

FLUFFY BUNNIES HOP TO THE TOP
WE CAN'T BE STOPPED
WHEN IT'S OVER YOU'LL NEED A MOP
to wipe up our tears after yet another Frye flop :(

This color combo is the best they've done for a Splatfest in 3, I hope they use more delicate shades like these in the future

...hey, don't look at me. I'm winning most of my matches for Team Baby Chicks, and I've only seen bunny teams. Where was this energy for Team Saturday???

Well the main modes make me want to die atm but I'm actually having fun with Tricolor. Mahi is the most chaotic so far and it's pretty fun! I think the only big flaw is that Splashdown is easy to abuse on the middle platform.

Bunny has this 100%, I'll be shocked if they don't. I'm having kind of a miserable time against them lmao
  • Bear won shells.
  • Bear got second place at half time. (Usually a good thing because of tricolour advantages.)
  • Frye never wins.

Bear with us.

I absolutely despise the light blue and pink scheme, my eyes just cannot keep a track of what's what. Individually they're different but as soon as lighting is involved at ALL they look like tints of grey to me.

Generally two bright colours are bad for contrast, but maybe they should add a textural difference, too. Maybe differently shaped sprinkles? The glitter effect from 2? Like one gets reflective and one gets glitter. Something!

Really the colour combinations in 3 have been kind of bad, the default colours tend towards combining "dark" and "light" to help a bit, then fests give up and are all dark or all light.

bear is probably going to win because all the splatoon fans picked the mr grizz option

enjoy having your faces ripped off nerds

I wish we could keep Splatfest Tees, the Baby Chicks one is so cute.

Mahi is fine for a Tricolor map, but all Splatfests really do nowadays is hammer home how sick of Turf War I am.

• Bear won shells.
  • Bear got second place at half time. (Usually a good thing because of tricolour advantages.)
  • Frye never wins.

Bear with us.
Keep in mind the absolute force that is Shiver's plot armor

Back
Top Bottom