• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

Pre-Release Splatoon 3 — Pre-release Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overanalysis:

This looks fucking amazing graphics-wise. Some direct footage looked rough, but this is very reassuring.
Where is the ink tank? Is it in that open box in front of the inkling?
Very glad you don't start with that butt ugly neon yellow shirt again.
Seems like the controls that are present there are all still the same.
I was never 100% that the footage in the Direct is final, the recent JP ads show it, it's improved over the Direct footage. The footage from the Direct is from older build.

I can't decide... Will I start practising by playing 2 now or go and dive in fresh with 3? It's been longer than a year ago that I played any Splatoon and I'm getting reaaallllly impatient. Argh, this is what hype does to a man!

I can't decide... Will I start practising by playing 2 now or go and dive in fresh with 3? It's been longer than a year ago that I played any Splatoon and I'm getting reaaallllly impatient. Argh, this is what hype does to a man!

Play some 2 to derust so you can stomp everyone when 3 comes out :)

Play some 2 to derust so you can stomp everyone when 3 comes out :)

That's a good idea, although I need to say that I really sucked in the multiplayer. I will derust and just get used to the controls again because I am going to play the game for fun mostly, maybe if I can manage my anger I'll try multiplayer more competitively.

Downside to playing Turf War again: I’m incredibly rusty and got my teeth kicked in by the opposing team.

Upside to playing Turf War again: My teammates carried me to a 3-1 record anyway.

That's interesting, I noticed a while back before the direct that the screenshots we saw with Agent 3 wearing the Hero suit had more traditional looking levels, while the screenshots with them wearing the desert outfit looked like more octo expansion-like levels

Click on the video. It outright shows that there's no cartridge.
Of course not. It's on the shelf.

I believe that's final box art, but the error (it was inserted upside down, so the cartridge space is on the wrong side) indicates it was likely printed by GameStop. I believe they get the materials to print their own for display boxes (they keep the real ones sealed behind the counter, if you're unaware of how they work). Doesn't mean shipments are in yet, but that wasn't Raccon's point.

was the back and inside of the box art known?
No.

Anyone have kit wishlists for Splatoon 3? Here's 4 I want:

unknown.png

Made with https://yagaa.itch.io/yagas-weapon-kit-generator

Let's see. Two of the newcomers I'm most curious about, the Marker and the Vac, I already get to try with the default Jet Squelcher.

splat3kits9dfhg.jpg

So this is what I want. Plus either Pro or a .96 with Ink Storm as Splat Zones comfort pick. If I see anything like these kits, I'll know where I can make a home in Splatoon 3. Hopefully Wavebreaker and Reefslider will also be fine and fun and paired with a weapon I fancy. Maybe the Tri-Stringer? Probably not the Tri-Stringer. But I'll take them on Gals, Splattershots, Zaps, Sloshers or Brellas, too.

Wait wtf? Does it give Quick Respawn or does it just straight up instantly respawn you if you die? And if so, at the tacticooler? or just at your spawn point?

Sounds like instead of taking inspiration from a Splatoon 1 special, they took inspiration from the Splatoon 1 Quick Respawn meta here lmao

Last edited:
I'm worried about Spl-

But for real if there's anything I'm a bit concerned about it's Hammerhead Bridge / Flounder Heights losing a big part of what made them special/great, Tenta Missiles being back and uh apparently Tacticooler lasts for 17 seconds while granting every drinker instant respawn? Uhhhhh

I'm worried about Spl-

But for real if there's anything I'm a bit concerned about it's Hammerhead Bridge / Flounder Heights losing a big part of what made them special/great, Tenta Missiles being back and uh apparently Tacticooler lasts for 17 seconds while granting every drinker instant respawn? Uhhhhh

I think the cooler's biggest downside will be that you cannot start charging a new cooler while the previous one is still active, so you won't get too many of them per game

I'm worried about Spl-

What's wrong with Hammerhead Bridge? And is the Tacticooler change a bad one?

Yeah I'm expecting a Hero mode preview sometime soon. Either this week or next week.
I'm expecting this and some parts of the multiplayer like Anarchy Battle( specifically Open since Series is for more competitive play and I don't think Nintendo will have that one available). Although now that I think about, they might have Salmon Run available as well.

What's wrong with Hammerhead Bridge? And is the Tacticooler change a bad one?
They removed the bridge and multiple other paths which means a lot less verticality and movement options, it's a giant flat corridor with limited cover which immediately gave me flashbacks of Port and Walleye though I doubt it'll be as bad as those two.

Tacticooler giving instant respawn would decrease the utility of splatting boosted players so much that it'd probably make it questionable if taking fights with them is even worth it (fights against boosted players will be high risk: you have a big stat disadvantage; and super low reward: they'll come back even faster than if they super jumped to spawn). But at the same time if the effects actually last 17 seconds then there isn't much of a choice...

Funnily enough, Tenta Missiles could be the best counter to this since you don't have to take fights with it to have an impact on the game.

Last edited:
So that's clearly Pikachu's tail on the tacticooler cans

And it looks like object shredder is going to big this time around

They removed the bridge and multiple other paths which means a lot less verticality and movement options, it's a giant flat corridor with limited cover which immediately gave me flashbacks of Port and Walleye though I doubt it'll be as bad as those two.

Tacticooler giving instant respawn would decrease the utility of splatting boosted players so much that it'd probably not even be worth taking fights with them most of the time (fights against boosted players will be high risk: you have a big stat disadvantage; and super low reward: they'll come back even faster than if they super jumped to spawn). But at the same time if the effects actually last 17 seconds then there isn't much of a choice...
??? I'm not following you. It's called "Hammerhead Bridge". You can't remove the bridge, otherwise there's no stage at all. It's a huge part of the stage. Plus now that it's been 5-7 years since its inception so of course it wouldn't be under be construction at this point. As the trailer said, the bridge is completed. And like Lucyfer said, the Tacticooler is most likely gonna have a big downside, so I wouldn't worry about that.

Tacticooler giving instant respawn would decrease the utility of splatting boosted players so much that it'd probably make it questionable if taking fights with them is even worth it (fights against boosted players will be high risk: you have a big stat disadvantage; and super low reward: they'll come back even faster than if they super jumped to spawn). But at the same time if the effects actually last 17 seconds then there isn't much of a choice...

There is clear counterplay here however as opposed to armor which I like, plus not everyone on the enemy team is going to have it instantly, at the same time. If a tacticooler is placed too agressively, it can be destroyed before everyone gets the buff, and if it's placed too passively people will have to back out too far to claim the buff

There is clear counterplay here however as opposed to armor which I like, plus not everyone on the enemy team is going to have it instantly, at the same time. If a tacticooler is placed too agressively, it can be destroyed before everyone gets the buff, and if it's placed too passively people will have to back out too far to claim the buff
I think it's like how Sting Ray in the hands of a very skilled player is absurd in TC/RM but not as problematic at lower level; except here it'd need a well coordinated team (and be especially good in SZ?). It's not quite Ink Armor but I do see it encouraging stalling and possibly becoming a need for any comp.
??? I'm not following you. It's called "Hammerhead Bridge". You can't remove the bridge, otherwise there's no stage at all. It's a huge part of the stage.
They removed the grated bridge from Hammerhead just like they removed the heights from Flounder, it's in the Direct footage. It's still "Hammerhead Bridge" because that's the setting but it's no longer part of the gameplay.

I think it's like how Sting Ray in the hands of a very skilled player is absurd in TC/RM but not as problematic at lower level; except here it'd need a well coordinated team (and be especially good in SZ?). It's not quite Ink Armor but I do see it encouraging stalling and possibly becoming a need for any comp.

I could see it becoming a necessity in any comp depending on the balance, yeah. I do think it encourages aggressive (counter)plays over stalling way more than armor though

Actually nvm the official translation doesn't say instant so it might just be a quick respawn, as long as it's not too many stacked QRs then it's all good

Actually nvm the official translation doesn't say instant so it might just be a quick respawn, as long as it's not too many stacked QRs then it's all good
I do also wonder, is this unconditional QR, where it doesn't matter if you got a kill that life or not? (Like in Splatoon 1)

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but I'm reading this tweet to mean that you can't always skip the news intro:

I'm guessing this means that at the start of Splatfests, it's a mandatory watch. Twas a nice dream while it lasted.

I'm not sure if this has been discussed, but I'm reading this tweet to mean that you can't always skip the news intro:

I'm guessing this means that at the start of Splatfests, it's a mandatory watch. Twas a nice dream while it lasted.

I mean, when there is actually a good reason for it, a 1 minute interruption for important news like Splatfests or Updates is well agreeable.

People go through the same thing with stuff like Fortinite new seasons and stuff like that.

This is not inherently a problem if it's only big/special news since Fortnite also does this.

Ever since the reveal trailer where they dropped gender for "style" I don't think I've ever been happier as a non-binary/genderfluid/genderless person.

This is not inherently a problem if it's only big/special news since Fortnite also does this.
I mean, when there is actually a good reason for it, a 1 minute interruption for important news like Splatfests or Updates is well agreeable.

People go through the same thing with stuff like Fortinite new seasons and stuff like that.
These are eminently reasonable statements. Splatfest presentations are actually needed bc they introduce you to the teams and there's different banter.

Anyone have kit wishlists for Splatoon 3?

Made with https://yagaa.itch.io/yagas-weapon-kit-generator
My dream is a Sploosh with Splat Bombs & Reefslider. I jokingly call myself a Splat Bomb main, because honestly the thing I'm the best at* in the entire game is carrying the Rainmaker, and then my splat bomb play. My game is just pressure pressure pressure (I mained the Sploosh 7 in both games).

* I'm not very good! This was p sick tho.

Last edited:
We haven't seen any carbon roller gameplay yet, right? I hope they give it back some of Splatoon 1's punch, the version in too feels flimsy

Yeah it really feels impossible to kill with the horizontal flick now. I do also think it suffers from bad kit syndrome in 2, the only good thing it has on either of its kits is burst bomb

Tweeting everyday now

I absolutely adore the design of this special, but I'm worried it'll be a bit weak. Though depending on how much damage it does, it could combo great with certain weapons, and things like tetra dualies get absolutely screwed over by it

We know that the Splatfest starts in every region in different time but what about the part from 25th, the demo, testing weapons, walking in the lobby etc.? Do we think this starts earlier in each time zone or it's the same across every region? I couldn't find any information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom