• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sakurai starts his own youtube Channel "Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games."

to this day I feel people don't give enough credit to what a technical achievement Smash 3ds was
I think at the time people were pretty resentful of it for throttling the Wii U version.

Despite it ultimately being a really good version. And imo, having the superior spin off mode in Smash run.

Getting smash on handheld on the 3ds was awesome. I remember playing the demo and really enjoying the general gamefeel of the demo characters. What a hype time. Smash really has been such a crazy impressive franchise.

That end teaser for Smash Bros Ultimate.
Something tells me he's gonna tease his new project at the end of that video. Something also tells me that the Switch successor is gonna be revealed at gamescom, and sometime after gamescom his Smash Ultimate video is gonna be posted, and he announced a enhanced/deluxe version of Ultimate for the new system, including more characters and dlc.

I read on a Discord server, not long ago that the Smash gamecube controller (only in Japan) and several amiibo waves are gonna get a restock. Most noticeably is the Smash gamecube controller, since those were only restocked with Smash Ultimate's launch, and the announcement of Fighters Pass 2.

Ultimate was an impressive package, don't get me wrong, but the amount of content we got across the two Smash for games was almost more impressive. Just the amount of new stages alone was staggering*:

Smash 64: 9
Melee: 24
Brawl: 29
Smash for: 47
Ultimate: 4

Yes, it was a lot of work to bring all the old stages back and spruce them up, but Ultimate benefited a lot from the fact Smash for content was new for so many Ultimate players. That's not to mention Smash for also introduced the concept of Omega stages, so all those new stages, plus the 26 returning stages, had to also have an additional form designed, and in Smash for they have slightly different designs for each Omega look, unlike the one universal template they used in Ultimate.

A pity the concept of custom moves didn't quite hit the mark. Needing to unlock moves and making that unlock procedure such a grind hampered it completely. Had the options been unlocked from the get go, or maybe locked behind specifc tasks like clearing classic mode with a character rather than random drops, people would have at least played around with them more. As it is was, it was a lot of work for something that's now going to be lost to the sands of time.

And speaking of lost content - remember Master Core? Ultimate should have brought back those forms so Classic mode had a little more variety for end bosses. So many of those ended with just Master Hand fights.

And who can forget all the trophies?

*I didn't count BFs or FDs. I also included FlatZone X as a new stage.

the bit about the game needing to have Bandai Namco's involvement confirmed as soon as possible is truly incredible.
image.png

apparently even back in 2012, devs can't just walk into other studios without thinking a collab is going on.

I've always been impressed with how well Smash Bros. tends to hold up with how many elements and conditions can be present at once. Grabs seem relatively standardized, but then you have to account for things like extended grabs, throws that move the thrower, throwing opponents into the ground, weight-based throws, and so forth.

i'm surprised no one posted his previous video.

him bringing up the Tetris Guideline is interesting, as while it has been publicly acknowledged by the Tetris Company.
We have a minimum bar that we create every year, called the Tetris Guideline, and that guideline is the minimum spec for which someone has to create Tetris. And we raise that bar every year. Part of what we do in the guideline, for example, is dictate which buttons do what. And that's so we don't have a situation where some licensee decides to make rotate and hard drop backwards. Because that's a killer thing; we want to make sure that the gas pedal is always on the right and the brake is always on the left so that players can move from platform to platform without having that kind of disaster.
the full details aren't (officially, two versions of the document were leaked online at some point.) listed openly, though there is a tiny chance he was given it thanks to the inclusion of the A-Type and B-Type themes in Smash.

he's also previously discussed his problems with CERO in his old Famitsu column.
Sakurai: Super Smash Bros. for Wii U almost didn’t make its scheduled release date because of ratings issues. We had to revise Palutena and Wonder Pink’s models over and over again.

Interviewer: All because you might be able to see up their skirts? Seriously?

Sakurai: We had Palutena wearing shorts and made the inside of Wonder Pink’s skirt too dark to see anything. Nevertheless, CERO told us the designs were “sexually provocative.” They were being ridiculous and frankly quite juvenile.
(sure enough, the Japanese version of the game does in fact tone down their outfits slightly by decreasing their visibility.)
another thing.....

Is very interesting whenever these videos go "Here's a struggle I had in my own work I had to solve", it really shows you that game making is a constantly evolving process.

according to Sakurai, this video was originally going to be exclusive to the Japanese channel. but 8-4 was insistent that it should be translated.

this notably marks the first time anything Game Center CX related has been officially localized since Fangamer distributed the tie-in children's book (illustrated by Zari-Gani/SPACECOYOTE, who was part of an early team producing fansubs for the series before getting hired as an official artist) "I'm Stuck in a Video Game!" back in 2017. likely because the artist already frequently contributed to merch sold on that site.

as a reminder. there's a Game Center CX |ST| on here if you want to keep track of future fansubs/more officially localized content.

the last part of the GCCX crossover.

one important detail to note from the second part is that it has a clip from the main GCCX series.
Screenshot_from_2023-10-17_00-00-14.png

this is notable. as up until now the only parts of the show to get officially localized were the main Arino's Challenge segments, the other parts have been traditionally removed (even on the Japanese DVDs) due to licensing issues.

The comment section is bizarre. Video's talking about the process behind creative decisions somehow got misconstrued as a political statement all because of the word democratic being used LMAO

EDIT: Whoops, just barely beaten. This is the part of the video everyone will skip to and talk about anyway:

cQQ0CXl.png

It really does sound like there is not currently a new smash in development, and honestly kinda sounds like Sakurai is not working on any new game project currently, just doing the youtube channel. A bit of a shame as someone who wants to see him do another game sooner than later but makes sense. I can't imagine Nintendo doesn't want a smash on Switch 2, but if they're not actively working on one, wonder if they just port over Ultimate with all the DLC, maybe some tweaks here and there, and call it a day

I laughed at the casual "Yeah, multi voters didn't count btw." for the Smash Ballot.

The next Smash stuff isn't really anything different from what we've heard before. Just gotta wait until Switch 2 time, I guess.

It really does sound like there is not currently a new smash in development, and honestly kinda sounds like Sakurai is not working on any new game project currently, just doing the youtube channel. A bit of a shame as someone who wants to see him do another game sooner than later but makes sense. I can't imagine Nintendo doesn't want a smash on Switch 2, but if they're not actively working on one, wonder if they just port over Ultimate with all the DLC, maybe some tweaks here and there, and call it a day
Eh, I wouldn't read too much into what Sakurai said. He's usually pretty careful about not giving away/hinting at anything unannounced he's working on, no reason to think that's any different here.

Yeah. Smash requires secrecy, so if anything is in development right now there'd be zero hint to it. The reminder that Ultimate began development a ways ahead of the Switch's announcement gives at least a bit of possibility that something could be underway even now. At least the planning stage.

Sakurai won't let it slip he's working on a new project on his YouTube channel, let alone a new Smash game, c'mon.

But even in the scenario he's truly not working at nothing new at the moment, Smash is continuing with or without him.

Like others said, Sakurai isn't going to announce his project here out of all places. Also, yeah, It's seems like Smash is about to get a reboot of some sort.

"As for what comes next for the Smash Bros series, even I'm not sure" and "so I can't say for certain there won't be another" doesn't just sound like avoiding any discussion on a new smash project. That's language that to me is pretty straightforwardly saying that there isn't one being worked on right now or at least not with him attached. It's possible he's straight up not telling the truth in order to keep things quiet but just preparing people for the possibility that he's truly on break from the series and there may not be a big new Smash game in active dev at the moment.

A new Smash Bros is inevitable, no doubt about that.

I would like for him and whoever he can get to work with him to make another non-Smash Bros game. That would be great.

I'm gonna feel bad for whoever has to inventively take over Smash one day after Sakurai, specially after Ultimate lol.

Well, in my opinion, you don't really need to bring everyone back in a possible next installment that people ask for. Look, I am a plain and simple person who can't imagine what this man goes through in the development of Smash. But I do think that if you cut some characters, whether it is first or third party, I do think it wouldn't mind. If you cut, say Pichu, Lucario and greninja from the pokemon series, surely you can add 3 other from different series. That way, you can have the same amount of characters Ultimate has, but with different characters. Yeah, it's prolly more easier said than done, but I feel like the term ''Ultimate'' would be cool if it was it's own spin-off I guess. Like a big celebration of the Smash series it self every 2 or 3 games, where everyone is brought back again. Like, we got Ultimate now, but after 2 or 3 games, we can get Ultimate 2 or something. That way, you can look forward to the next Ultimate Smash game, and speculate who will be joining and cut in a regular Smash without fearing they'll be lost forever.

Back
Top Bottom