• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sakurai starts his own youtube Channel "Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games."

That Powerpoint presentation is hilarious, love it! :D

Interesting to hear his regrets... I bet that the "bug" he's referring to is the "scribbling trick" that you can pull off in the original DS game. Still, I couldn't imagine playing it without the touch screen, the button controls are a miserable experience in comparison!

I already have difficulty determining FPS from sight, while this man Sakurai can estimate frames from clapping his hands

First video in a new category: Marketing.
There isn't much advice here aside from the fact marketing is important for your game and assets made for the game could be use outside it so keep that in mind.

Also Sakurai made a distinction that he is not a producer, but he did take quite a few roles that a producer would do.

sakurai nooooooooo
the.png

emulators.png

an unofficial GBA emulator, as well as an unofficial DS emulator. have managed to sneak onto the paid android charts.

particularly amusing as i'm pretty sure the GBA one has a free version with ads.

Sakurai's longest video yet! And it's just a showcase of visual effects/animation for viewers to watch without commentary.

Huh, this is the first time I'm noticing the blue visor on Samus's helmet when shooting a missile. Nice reference to the NES game! Was this detail added in Ultimate, or was it in one of the prior games?

With all due respect, Sakurai is the last person you should be taking health advice from.

The guy is a self-destructive workaholic.

this really fits in with his [Game Concepts] videos, even though it's not really a game.

once again, i still don't understand why Sakurai hasn't considered working with a western publisher to localize the book compilations of those columns. the interest is definitely there.

nowadays, his spot in Famitsu has been taken over by Toby Fox of all people.

SSBU still wows me with its looks every time I boot it up. Man I dearly wish we had access to that dev camera. But those stages look awesome even with the baked in camera.

Tons of fascinating stuff in this video.
One of the original concepts for Kirby's DreamLand was a damage system similar to the one used in Smash. Sakurai forgot about it and came out with the same idea years later.

That video confirms what I've always suspected: that Sakurai really doesn't want Smash to have online play and just does it purely out of obligation hahahaha. His vision for Smash is merely just a couch multiplayer game where you gather a bunch of friends locally.

It explains why he puts all this effort into all these modes like Smash Run or Stage Morph or Squad Strike and yet when you go online, all of these just disappear with the most basic bare minimum options.

Is this the first public confirmation that they tweaked the game from Melee to appeal to a less hardcore audience?
it was previously brought up in a Japanese Q&A session shortly after Brawl launched.
Sakurai: I wanted to make it easier to play is number one, but another one of the reasons is because you use the Wii Remote to play. Basically, you’re using a controller with a D-pad to play, and I figured that wouldn’t be able to withstand the speed of Melee.
Also, one of the things I felt when reflecting on Melee was that while a higher speed game is definitely exhilarating and fun, it makes the gap between beginners and higher level players too large, and you can’t really enjoy carefree, leisurely aerial battles. On the contrary, you might say it makes the game rough, but it does shrink the breadth** of the game a little. So this time, I made the speed slower, but on that point I think it would best to think of “Brawl” and “Melee” separately, and enjoy them each in their own way.

i wanna say he also admitted that the changes went too far during the promotional period for 3DS/Wii U, but i'm not finding any interviews mentioning that.

That checks out haha. Online is just "there".

It's also funny that apparently if Sakurai didn't agree to head the development for Brawl Nintendo would've just done a straight port of Melee.

And man Subspace Emissary is such a cool concept, but having to program different specs for the fighters is a huge, huge workload. I wonder if they can go the SF6 route and have a generic player stand-in roam themed worlds, with the fights happening in a different screen.

it was previously brought up in a Japanese Q&A session shortly after Brawl launched.
Thanks! I remember hearing about this second hand, but I was never sure if it was something that the fans had assumed due to the changes or if it was deliberate.

And man Subspace Emissary is such a cool concept, but having to program different specs for the fighters is a huge, huge workload. I wonder if they can go the SF6 route and have a generic player stand-in roam themed worlds, with the fights happening in a different screen.
This absolutely made the single-player decisions for 4 and Ultimate make a ton of sense, since the work load would be even more due to having to juggle two releases simulataneously and with a larger roster than Brawl in both iterations.

That checks out haha. Online is just "there".

It's also funny that apparently if Sakurai didn't agree to head the development for Brawl Nintendo would've just done a straight port of Melee.

I honestly really liked World Of Light even if I felt it drag in the middle chunk. I hope they continue to experiment with single player content, rather than have none at all like Smash 4.

Now I'm getting all nostalgic over Brawl. Not just the game play, I remember I would watch the Subspace cutscenes over and over as a kid or go into My Music and listen to the songs. It was a hell of an experience.

I honestly really liked World Of Light even if I felt it drag in the middle chunk. I hope they continue to experiment with single player content, rather than have none at all like Smash 4
I liked World of Light too, frankly more than Subspace Emissary. I appreciate the work done into getting Subspace Emissary playable but it's still not that satisfying mechanically (though I guess that extends to the whole of Brawl haha).

This absolutely made the single-player decisions for 4 and Ultimate make a ton of sense, since the work load would be even more due to having to juggle two releases simulataneously and with a larger roster than Brawl in both iterations
Can't even imagine doing Subspace Emissary for Ultimate. Though maybe that kind of content will be feasible if Nintendo decides to go the Deluxe route.

oh look a viral tweet takes what Sakurai said out of context and ignores anything else he said. Typical.

He also said, "And you never know, it could be fun in it's own way

I liked World of Light too, frankly more than Subspace Emissary. I appreciate the work done into getting Subspace Emissary playable but it's still not that satisfying mechanically (though I guess that extends to the whole of Brawl haha).

Can't even imagine doing Subspace Emissary for Ultimate. Though maybe that kind of content will be feasible if Nintendo decides to go the Deluxe route.
Honestly Subspace/World of Light may as well need to be their own game. It just isn’t worth the resource investment when that could go to other things, even as a Deluxe title.

Sakurai recently make a poll, asking viewers to guess who's the composer for his opening/ending jingle?
The choices are:
  • Nobuo Uematsu (Final Fantasy)
  • Yoko Shimomura (Kingdom Hearts, Mario & Luigi)
  • Yuzo Koshiro (Street of Rage, Etrian Odyssey)
  • Shogo Sakai (Kirby, Super Smash Bros., Mother 3)
The answer is Yuzo Koshiro. While one with some video games knowledge could've guessed him. The poll results were heavily favored Shimomura, both on Japanese and English polls.

I guess most people just picked who's the most recognizable one. But still it's really funny how this poll result turn out to be.

I picked Sakai because he was the least known out of those and has worked with Sakurai before. But I guess they haven't collaborated since Brawl and Koshiro worked on Uprising and the last few Smash games.

Sakurai talks about Family BASIC, which got him to start making games. Based, he's very enthusiastic about it.

It's so cool to see how this feature inspired Sakurai to make games for a living, and now he's inspiring others with his videos.

Sakurai should make the channel Programming with Sakurai when he runs out of gaming things to talk about.

Last edited:
a computer terminal saying "hmm, what was I doing again?" after aborting a fortune-telling subroutine may be peak soul

hmm....

image.png

this is quite possibly one of the most astounding portrayals of dataminers in history.

(interestingly enough, the note about COVID causing showfloor demos to die out for a while actually has a 1st-party example. there's rumours that the "WarioWare: Get It Together!" demo was originally intended for kiosks. but was retooled into a downloadable one when COVID happened.)

Considering how Sakurai absolutely hates it when people spoil characters for Smash, it's no wonder he portrays dataminers this way.

I don't really have a problem with people trying to datamine games for fun or research purposes, but they should just keep secrets to themselves. If they want to share, pass it onto other people as a rumor instead of openly showing the data themselves. There's been way too many times where people who get a hold of secret data leaks wind up using it as a way to get attention.

Back
Top Bottom