• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Sakurai starts his own youtube Channel "Masahiro Sakurai on Creating Games."

This latest episode was one of Sakurai's best Grab Bag!

I simply love hearing about childhood memories related to video games, in any context.. and coming from such a legend member of the industry, it's even better!

Also.. don't you love when you find something to relate with this kind of stuff? It was me when Sakurai was explaining how the supermarket he used go as a kid, isn't there anymore, and proceeds to say "Who cares?!" .. I am this kind of guy that goes on excessive contextual detail for stuff that probably no one cares;

I DO care tho, Sakurai! 😭

This latest episode was one of Sakurai's best Grab Bag!

I simply love hearing about childhood memories related to video games, in any context.. and coming from such a legend member of the industry, it's even better!

Also.. don't you love when you find something to relate with this kind of stuff? It was me when Sakurai was explaining how the supermarket he used go as a kid, isn't there anymore, and proceeds to say "Who cares?!" .. I am this kind of guy that goes on excessive contextual detail for stuff that probably no one cares;

I DO care tho, Sakurai! 😭
This was especially fun because I finished catching up on Jeremy Parish's coverage of the Epoch Casette Vision which is featured prominently in parts of this video. It was a really cool bit of channel subscription synergy coming together for me.

"It's a shame that it only lived up on 3DS, as I'd love to play on a bigger screen with smoother graphics, but without a team around to work on it, crafting a follow-up seems difficult."
Yup, just finished the video, and that was the opposite of what I wanted to hear. Ah well!

Lots of interesting stuff here though, like how it was specifically designed to be a more hardcore-oriented experience, and that it was already pushing the hardware enough that the 3DS could not fully handle the added processor load from the control stick peripheral

I haven’t watch all of the videos, but I think this is the only one I have watched that didn’t end with the usual outro music. Uprising is just that good, I guess.

Yup, just finished the video, and that was the opposite of what I wanted to hear. Ah well!

Lots of interesting stuff here though, like how it was specifically designed to be a more hardcore-oriented experience, and that it was already pushing the hardware enough that the 3DS could not fully handle the added processor load from the control stick peripheral
You can read that stuff he sad in many ways, we'll only see when time passes.

in regards to pushing the hardware: all games do that, from the perspective of their development. Rarely do you have launch games where the processor is idling if its not an easy port.
Its more that later games either take into account the hit from extra hardware into account during the planing stages, or that middleware (as he mentioned) gets better over the platforms lifespan, or that the developers get better on optimizing for the quirks of the platforms strengths and weaknesses.

He actually has mentioned the bit about the CPP support before

"Supporting the CCP requires the use of some of the CPU's processing load. From the information received during the development of Kid Icarus: Uprising, this is a quite large load at around 5%. Kid Icarus: Uprising and Smash both use the maximum capability of the device, so we had to abandon the idea of CCP support. With the New 3DS, we were able to support the C-Stick as the processing power is increased and it is not a peripheral device."
Same reason Smash 3DS didn't support it, though if you were playing on n3DS, the little crappy nub worked.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how this game will look on a single screen. It's definitely not the type of game that's easy to port.
This is why the best option is the Namco Nintendo (remaster/remake) is the best option for Uprising, they are taking their times and no other game really fits with it

"It's a shame that it only lived up on 3DS, as I'd love to play on a bigger screen with smoother graphics, but without a team around to work on it, crafting a follow-up seems difficult."

He did say follow-up and not port there, though. 🙏

KI:U was a great, charming game. Lots of good memories from single player and online multiplayer. Unfortunately it was best with 2 screens.

Looks like Sakurai changed his mind about Smashes 3DS and Wii U being Smashes 4 and 5. I guess we're nearing the end of the video series.

This is why the best option is the Namco Nintendo (remaster/remake) is the best option for Uprising, they are taking their times and no other game really fits with it
This video pretty much confirms that they aren't actively working on Kid Icarus. Very possible that job listing will lead to nothing or a Smash Ultimate remaster for the new console.

This video pretty much confirms that they aren't actively working on Kid Icarus. Very possible that job listing will lead to nothing or a Smash Ultimate remaster for the new console.
It doesn’t confirm anything. He said it would be difficult without a team like Project Sora around to work on it (and was referring specifically to a follow-up rather than a remaster), but that doesn’t mean it’s not happening already regardless! It’s not like Sakurai would confirm its existence before Nintendo reveals it, anyway.

After years of insane Smash fans, Sakurai knows the power of his words. Which is why I think he chose a statement that doesn't really move the needle either way, imo.

But it does remind me how unfortunate some Nintendo IP are that don't have a consistent home studio. Even successful ones can float around with Nintendo often not really knowing how to handle them for extended periods.

Google translation:
Porting and sequel will be difficult after all...
At current game standards, remaking even one model would be too expensive to cover the volume of this work.
Sometimes I think about writing a continuation of the scenario without any purpose, but I can't imagine what the product image is like...

Get it on your 3DS while you can!

Google translation:
Porting and sequel will be difficult after all...
At current game standards, remaking even one model would be too expensive to cover the volume of this work.
Sometimes I think about writing a continuation of the scenario without any purpose, but I can't imagine what the product image is like...

Get it on your 3DS while you can!

Seems like Sakurai is just wishing the port could be done, and is trying to get Nintendo to take the hint.

At the very least it kinda is interesting to think that he has thought about writing a continuation of Uprising's narrative, definitely shows he still has attachment to it and the characters/world he created, even if he doesn't have a team to make it.

Pretty much confirmed a new Smash is currently not in development (with or without him).
I dunno, when Smash 4 was wrapping up, Sakurai acted like he didn't know what was coming next when Ultimate was already being planned

He films these videos well in advance, wouldn't surprise me if Sakurai had already started at least planning the next game

Last edited:
feels like there is very high likelihood the next Smash is at the very least in the planning phase, Nintendo isn't gonna stop making new entries despite everyone and their mothers acting like they can't do another after Ultimate (and a deluxe pack wouldn't result in the same amount of sales considering plenty of people already bought it on Switch).

feels like there is very high likelihood the next Smash is at the very least in the planning phase, Nintendo isn't gonna stop making new entries despite everyone and their mothers acting like they can't do another after Ultimate (and a deluxe pack wouldn't result in the same amount of sales considering plenty of people already bought it on Switch).
i mean it sounds like he wants to do it, which in all likelihood means he will do it whenever that comes together. I could see a Mario Kart Deluxe style port to nu-Switch with a DLC run of new stages and characters while he plans the new one though

When he says it's "fair to assume there will be another Smash," it sounds like he's intentionally avoiding tipping his hand as to whether Smash is in development or not. Obviously not a confirmation, but what he says at the end seems like the clearest indication yet that there will be a new Smash (and not just an Ultimate port) following a similar timeline as Brawl/4/Ultimate after the Switch 2's release.

Last edited:
Based on these comments, I think the possibility of an "Ultimate DX" for the next system has gone down drastically. Not that I thought it was very likely to begin with since backwards compatibility will probably happen in some form. Though at the end of the day, it's Nintendo's call.

i mean it sounds like he wants to do it, which in all likelihood means he will do it whenever that comes together. I could see a Mario Kart Deluxe style port to nu-Switch with a DLC run of new stages and characters while he plans the new one though
yeah sure some kind of GOTY edition with an higher resolution and all the DLC characters make sense tho I wouldn't expect more content added.

That sounded like a strong hint that he's coming back and that a new Smash is in pre-production - even if it's only between him and some Nintendo heads.

I don't see how you can see it any other way. As previously mentioned he did this coy routine after Smash 4.

"Boy, only I can do it, and it's really important to Nintendo, but there's no one else who can, and it means so much to me, yet there's definitely going to be another one with or without me... sheesh, who knows what'll happen!"

Come on.

That sounded like a strong hint that he's coming back and that a new Smash is in pre-production - even if it's only between him and some Nintendo heads.

I don't see how you can see it any other way. As previously mentioned he did this coy routine after Smash 4.

"Boy, only I can do it, and it's really important to Nintendo, but there's no one else who can, and it means so much to me, yet there's definitely going to be another one with or without me... sheesh, who knows what'll happen!"

Come on.
We know he’s making it. He made it clear as day.

Don’t doubt Sakurai is already working on the new Smash but was hoping for new blood because his comments about online means that the next entry’s is gonna be complete ass like ultimate’s.

Don’t doubt Sakurai is already working on the new Smash but was hoping for new blood because his comments about online means that the next entry’s is gonna be complete ass like ultimate’s.
If you're wanting a better online experience than you would get rid of Bandai Namco, not Sakurai.

Sakurai already stated that he considered adding roll back netcode, but due to time constraints those plans had to be scrapped.

i think people should take a closer look at the "* opinion at the time of the video's release in 2023" text that appears at the end.

i don't think Sakurai is a fan of people thinking he's using the channel to hint at new game info, with it likely mainly being there in response to the large amounts of speculation that Kid Icarus Uprising is getting a Switch Port because he brought up that it would "look nice" in HD offhandedly.

it seems reasonable to me that the series is still actively on hold at the time of the video's release, considering the sheer amount of content that was in Ultimate.

They still can’t find someone to replace him? Damn
It's not like Smash Bros. has had a consistent dev team throughout all its entries. Other Nintendo franchises usually have someone rise up in the ranks after a while to enter the director's seat while the previous one steps back into a producer role or something. Smash hasn't had the opportunity to do that because it's basically just Sakurai and whatever studio can spare some production staff for a few years. Dude doesn't have an understudy.

It's not like Smash Bros. has had a consistent dev team throughout all its entries. Other Nintendo franchises usually have someone rise up in the ranks after a while to enter the director's seat while the previous one steps back into a producer role or something. Smash hasn't had the opportunity to do that because it's basically just Sakurai and whatever studio can spare some production staff for a few years. Dude doesn't have an understudy.
I wouldn’t say whatever studio can spare some production since Bandai has handled the last two/three so presumably it will be them again for the next one. Your overall point is correct that Nintendo is incapable of having an understudy due to Sakurai being an independent developer & the non-internal team handling production.

yeah he isn't really a Nintendo employees and his company is basically just himself so there is no one really to mentor

Back
Top Bottom