• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Wow, I did not know that. Or if I did, I completely forgot. I always thought it was just in every possible time at once.
Yep! It's significant because the way Chrono Trigger is set up, most dungeons will be clear of enemies once you beat them. So if you want to level up in the endgame, doing the Black Omen multiple times is a great way to climb levels.

I think I misspoke in my last post, though. You're turned away if you go in the future but you can do 1000ad, destroy it, fight the Lavos shell, then go back to 600AD and it'll still be there (because you technically haven't destroyed it yet), rinse and repeat. The bosses don't respawn except for Zeal, but that fight is worth doing multiple times because you can Charm prism stuff from it.

Yep! It's significant because the way Chrono Trigger is set up, most dungeons will be clear of enemies once you beat them. So if you want to level up in the endgame, doing the Black Omen multiple times is a great way to climb levels.

I think I misspoke in my last post, though. You're turned away if you go in the future but you can do 1000ad, destroy it, fight the Lavos shell, then go back to 600AD and it'll still be there (because you technically haven't destroyed it yet), rinse and repeat. The bosses don't respawn except for Zeal, but that fight is worth doing multiple times because you can Charm prism stuff from it.
That’s still cool. Last time I played Chrono Trigger was with the DS version. I did a very thorough 100% first run through and then got every ending one after the other in New Game+. Strongly kicking around a replay with Chrono Cross looming after I wrap up my Super Mario RPG replay.

That’s still cool. Last time I played Chrono Trigger was with the DS version. I did a very thorough 100% first run through and then got every ending one after the other in New Game+. Strongly kicking around a replay with Chrono Cross looming after I wrap up my Super Mario RPG replay.
Mario RPG, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross. 2022 sounds like it's off to a great start for ya. 👍

Speaking of getting pumped for Chrono Cross, I've been playing Another Eden lately and am really enjoying it.

Another Eden is a 2D, free-to-play mobile RPG from Masato Kato (Chrono Cross's director.) Time travel also features heavily in the story. It is avoiding all of the usual pitfalls of free-to-play games so far and has some really fun characters. Including, of course, a swashbuckling frog.

The crossover event with Chrono Cross is gated by story progress but I am getting pretty close to unlocking it. There are also crossovers with Persona and the Tales series.

Has anyone else played it?

Hi everyone, didn't notice this thread until now. Big RPG enthusiast here! Mostly JRPGs but I've played my share of the genre overall.

I've been getting around to the Trails games recently, just finished the first two Cold Steel games and I started Trails in the Sky this week. Outside a handful of uh, questionable thematic decisions, I've been enjoying them a lot and the writing has been landing way better for me than I expected going in. And the gameplay is really fun too.

Speaking of more recent RPGs though, has anyone in here played Maglam Lord? I've been a little curious about it since it was announced in JP (I really enjoyed the Swordcraft Story games way back when, so it being a spiritual successor got my attention), but there's a couple things I've been trying and failing to find out about it before I can decide whether to get it so I'd love to ask if anyone knows. It seems like a pretty small release so there's almost no info or discussion about it to be found.

Hi everyone, didn't notice this thread until now. Big RPG enthusiast here! Mostly JRPGs but I've played my share of the genre overall.

I've been getting around to the Trails games recently, just finished the first two Cold Steel games and I started Trails in the Sky this week. Outside a handful of uh, questionable thematic decisions, I've been enjoying them a lot and the writing has been landing way better for me than I expected going in. And the gameplay is really fun too.

Speaking of more recent RPGs though, has anyone in here played Maglam Lord? I've been a little curious about it since it was announced in JP (I really enjoyed the Swordcraft Story games way back when, so it being a spiritual successor got my attention), but there's a couple things I've been trying and failing to find out about it before I can decide whether to get it so I'd love to ask if anyone knows. It seems like a pretty small release so there's almost no info or discussion about it to be found.
Welcome!

Big Trails fan myself, there’s definitely some problematic moments / elements here and there (a few that straight suck), yet the grand vision is awesome. Good time to join in with Trails From Zero officially coming in September!

I haven’t played Maglam Lord, but I have heard it was a bit lacking. Maybe someone else here has given it a try.

Welcome!

Big Trails fan myself, there’s definitely some problematic moments / elements here and there (a few that straight suck), yet the grand vision is awesome. Good time to join in with Trails From Zero officially coming in September!
Thank you! :giggle:

Yeah, some of their takes on LGB characters are....... peculiar, to put it politely, and I could really do without without the obsession with sibling incest. But almost everything else has been really working for me and the worst elements make up a small enough proportion that it didn't ruin the rest. I'm REALLY curious to get to understand some of Cold Steel's stuff better after I've played Sky. Same with Zero/Azure, though I'll admit I didn't really warm up to Lloyd and Rixia in the divertissement at the end of CS2 so I'm not sure if I'll get into it as fast as Sky. I'm only a couple hours into Sky 1 but I love Estelle as a protagonist so it's a hard sell haha.

I haven’t played Maglam Lord, but I have heard it was a bit lacking. Maybe someone else here has given it a try.
Oh, everything I've heard about the gameplay says it's mediocre (and that's fine by me), it's mostly a couple writing-related things I'm a bit... concerned about and haven't been able to get confirmation on either way. Some of the romance options look kind of young and I don't know if they play that up in a weird way or if it's just a case of the art style making the wrong impression. But the art is fantastic and I've enjoyed the lead writer's previous games, so I'm really hoping it's the latter.

Edit: got confirmation from someone who played it, apparently it's really just the latter so I guess I know what game I'm playing next \o/

Last edited:
Finished Atelier Sophie 2 after 80 hours (making it the longest I've played in the series, it tooke me longer than some of the cold steel games even). I already mentioned how good is the alchemy system here and I'm not afraid to call it the best system of the franchise. Regarding the other parts
  • The battle system: Is also very good. I always like it when they let you use all your party in a dynamic way, and the twin system action makes the battles better allowing you to change party members without losing turns and buffing/debuffing the party / enemies. Even if you don't fully exploit the alchemy system, battles will always give you aditional options to complement the items effects. I like the battle aura (which act as enemy shields) so you can't simply mash the attack the button to win, but I can see why in many reviews said battles took longer with this, as the game expects you to have better items/equipment to destroy those auras quickly.
  • The story: The main quest is simple and direct (no bad guy appearing suddendly at the end) but I think the important part it's that it complements nicely the events of Sophie 1 having young Plachta and Ramizel and knowing more about them, filling some of the gaps of their past. And Sophie overall is a better and likeable protagonist than the rest of the cast of the mysterious tetralogy.
  • Presentation: Again Gust doing their magic, the fantasy landscapes works very well considering it's a dream world and they continue to do an awesome work to show it properly on the switch (it even has a graphic performance mode now). There are also some neat effects like when it's raining and you use the gravity stone, the water dropplets floats around you. They clearly have put work on understanding the hardware since Lydie/suelle
If there's one thing I didn't like, which they didn't fixed from Sophie 1 is the level cap. It's too low again (level 50, you start at 20 and you'll max it out around 2/3rd of the game) and this time there are no ability points after reaching the cap, so you win nothing but money and at that point you don't need it. It made me avoid most of the battles for the last areas unless I needed an specific drop.

As for the OST, well it's Gust sound team so of course it's good. They always go hard on the battle tracks and Delicate has become now one of my 5 top atelier battle tracks

The only thing to wait now is for the DLC scenario of Atelier Plachta, and I really hope they put some effort in this one, as the dlc of past games has been very bad, but at leas the preview mentions is voiced so that already make it better than the previous ones

Just finished the first half of Three Houses again (Claude's route). I forgot how long it can get in between battles. I love new game plus though. Almost feels like cheating.

I’m playing Suikoden 3

The Thomas chapters are so cozy

How does it compare to 1 and 2? I played them on my PS3 years ago but I haven't gotten around to the PS2 games. Loved 2 big time.

Just finished the first half of Three Houses again (Claude's route). I forgot how long it can get in between battles. I love new game plus though. Almost feels like cheating.

How does it compare to 1 and 2? I played them on my PS3 years ago but I haven't gotten around to the PS2 games. Loved 2 big time.
Most people rank the games like this:

Suikoden 2 > Suikoden 5 > Suikoden 1 > Suikoden 3 > Suikoden 4

But 3 is my personal favourite because of the way you can change main characters abd see parts of the sane story from different views. I love it, and it was the reason I bought my ps2.

3 is good just as long as you anticipate it being a different experience from 1 and 2. The combat in particular is very different. Having three independent protagonists is also an interesting wrench in the pre established formula.

Personally I prefer 2 by far, but 3 is still really enjoyable! The town building aspect also feels a lot better in 3.

Nice! I’ve played Claude and Dimitri and while I liked both a lot, I found Claude’s route (especially nearer the end) to be a lot better, or at least more satisfying. But I also wonder how much of that is that I played Claude first, and so I knew what happens in his endgame and that colored my perspective on Dimitri’s route.

Suikoden 5 is a game I’d love to replay sometime, I remember really liking it but not finishing it for whatever reason. We really need a Suikoden collection, or remaster, or at the very least put them all on Sony’s upcoming online service please

Starting Soul Hackers on 3DS today. There better be some references to it in SH2!

Starting Soul Hackers on 3DS today. There better be some references to it in SH2!
Never played Soul Hackers, but I listened to the mini soundtrack CD it came with a bunch. Has some good songs in it for sure lol. One day!

I finished my Super Mario RPG replay tonight! Game still holds up awesomely. I went into detail before, but it really does have an excellent battle system that keeps normal fights engaging and shines really well in the boss fights. I especially enjoyed tackling the super boss Culex before heading into Smithy’s Factory. Even with all the sinister monsters in the game, it’s still wild today seeing Mario fight some interdimensional demon god with the Final Fantasy IV Boss Battle theme blaring. Making use of items and specials together is important for taking out him and the four crystals efficiently and makes any megalixer kerokero cola and rock candy hoarding worth it. (It’s not mentioned in the item description, but a kerokero cola does fully heal both HP and FP for the whole party)

Backing up a bit, I did really enjoy the final stretch of the game. Nimbus Palace was better than I remembered (Dodo is great), the volcano I forgot has one of the best songs in the game, the Axem Ranger fight still rocks, and Bowser’s Castle and Smithy’s Factory provide a good final gauntlet with great bosses and challenges (the six doors are especially tricky!). Anyway, yeah it’s still an awesome game and I really hope it comes back on Switch somehow so more people can play it.

I’ll probably play a short game in between (in addition to Chocobo GP which I’m still enjoying) and then I’m likely picking either Paper Mario or Chrono Trigger for my next RPG replay.

I know I am still busy with Triangle Strategy and will be for a while, since I want to do a NG+ run as well, but I am already so excited for Live A Live and Xenoblade 3.

It's a great year for RPG-Fami.

Also, for the love of everything, I hope Asano's next HD-2D remake after LAL and DQ3 is Chrono Trigger.

Downloaded Mass Effect Legendary Edition to my Series S yesterday - at £24, I couldn't say no. It might be May before I start it, but I'll probably break up the trilogy one at a time between Switch games. Looking forward to revisiting the games for the first time in nearly a decade.

I know I am still busy with Triangle Strategy and will be for a while, since I want to do a NG+ run as well, but I am already so excited for Live A Live and Xenoblade 3.

It's a great year for RPG-Fami.

Also, for the love of everything, I hope Asano's next HD-2D remake after LAL and DQ3 is Chrono Trigger.
As a huge Chrono Trigger fan, I hope they don’t touch it for HD-2D even though I’d mostly trust them to do a good job. I just don’t think the game needs it.

That said, if they used a remake as an opportunity to add more story to the game (flesh out every ending, make a sequel or sequels inside it) then I’d be super excited.

Nice! I’ve played Claude and Dimitri and while I liked both a lot, I found Claude’s route (especially nearer the end) to be a lot better, or at least more satisfying. But I also wonder how much of that is that I played Claude first, and so I knew what happens in his endgame and that colored my perspective on Dimitri’s route.

Suikoden 5 is a game I’d love to replay sometime, I remember really liking it but not finishing it for whatever reason. We really need a Suikoden collection, or remaster, or at the very least put them all on Sony’s upcoming online service please

Yea, Claude's path is less debbie downer compared to Dimitri's. I still want to do Edlegard's path though.

As a huge Chrono Trigger fan, I hope they don’t touch it for HD-2D even though I’d mostly trust them to do a good job. I just don’t think the game needs it.

That said, if they used a remake as an opportunity to add more story to the game (flesh out every ending, make a sequel or sequels inside it) then I’d be super excited.
I'm also torn on CT HD-2D. I'd love to see a new coat of paint hung on the game if it's done faithfully, but yeah, it's one of the best-looking 16-bit games so to decide they won't release it unless it's remade in the fancier style would be kinda disrespectful, I think? If they did the HD-2D route if hope they at least make the original available maybe on NSO or something.

I’m playing Suikoden 3

The Thomas chapters are so cozy
I know its a bit divisive between the fanbase but i love this game soooo much. Definitely my favourite Suikoden, though i will admit 2 is a better game.

I remember that time i simultaneously won the first, second and third prize in the lottery in the same ticket batch, the money lasted me the entire playthrough hahaha

I know its a bit divisive between the fanbase but i love this game soooo much. Definitely my favourite Suikoden, though i will admit 2 is a better game.

I remember that time i simultaneously won the first, second and third prize in the lottery in the same ticket batch, the money lasted me the entire playthrough hahaha
I fully agree with you

I plan to finally try Suikoden IV when I’ve finished III. That game is really the black sheep.

I’m curious, has any newer jrpg done as random a class change as I want say classic DQs lvl 100 jester to great sage?

Know the difference, it could save your life.
4746.png

I'm currently playing Trails of Cold Steel II and I literally cannot stand the ost they play during the shrines and final dungeon.

Like I actively have to turn my sound off because it's that bothersome.
Why did they think that adding a vocal ost in a place where you'll spend a long time, was a smart idea???

I anyways I can't wait till I finish the game and hopefully never have to hear that particular ost again. XD

I'm currently playing Trails of Cold Steel II and I literally cannot stand the ost they play during the shrines and final dungeon.

Like I actively have to turn my sound off because it's that bothersome.
Why did they think that adding a vocal ost in a place where you'll spend a long time, was a smart idea???

I anyways I can't wait till I finish the game and hopefully never have to hear that particular ost again. XD
Someday I will continue this series. I got to the end of CS2 (roughly the final dungeon, I think?) and just kind of lost interest in finishing it. There were just so many things in CS2 that put me off and I didn't like as much as the first game. Although I've heard that CS3 is a lot more like the first one, so maybe I'd like it more?

Someday I will continue this series. I got to the end of CS2 (roughly the final dungeon, I think?) and just kind of lost interest in finishing it. There were just so many things in CS2 that put me off and I didn't like as much as the first game. Although I've heard that CS3 is a lot more like the first one, so maybe I'd like it more?
CS2 feels really long but I think I still prefer it above the first game.

CS1 felt like a dragged out Tour Guide or something like that for me. XD

I didn't have it that bad for CS1, but it's definitely a pair of games you want to play together in one go because CS1 has all the setup and CS2 has all the payoff.

That said, CS2 really does have god-awful pacing in its final chapters, there's like 15 hours of gameplay left after you finish the "finale" lmao

I didn't have it that bad for CS1, but it's definitely a pair of games you want to play together in one go because CS1 has all the setup and CS2 has all the payoff.

That said, CS2 really does have god-awful pacing in its final chapters, there's like 15 hours of gameplay left after you finish the "finale" lmao
I actually liked CS1 quite a bit due to its nicely structured style: Every new chapter, you did the schoolhouse bit, then went somewhere new, etc. That returning to familiar elements and resetting to the school really worked for me, even if it's a bit slow.

CS2, on the other hand, felt like all they had were the payoffs and finishing up of stuff from CS1, but they stretched it into an entire new game instead, so tons of the game just feels like wheel-spinning. You revisit all the areas from the first game during a "war" that you basically don't see, and see almost no consequences of it happening, and it feels like they wanted you to revisit everywhere just because they could even if there's not much reason to; you fight tons of bosses that end in stalemates or you getting beaten but they let you live for... some reason, etc. It just felt like a good 3/4 of the game had absolutely no progression and nothing meaningful happened whatsoever. You could cut to the more important ending stuff straight from the beginning and lose almost nothing.

I actually liked CS1 quite a bit due to its nicely structured style: Every new chapter, you did the schoolhouse bit, then went somewhere new, etc. That returning to familiar elements and resetting to the school really worked for me, even if it's a bit slow.

CS2, on the other hand, felt like all they had were the payoffs and finishing up of stuff from CS1, but they stretched it into an entire new game instead, so tons of the game just feels like wheel-spinning. You revisit all the areas from the first game during a "war" that you basically don't see, and see almost no consequences of it happening, and it feels like they wanted you to revisit everywhere just because they could even if there's not much reason to; you fight tons of bosses that end in stalemates or you getting beaten but they let you live for... some reason, etc. It just felt like a good 3/4 of the game had absolutely no progression and nothing meaningful happened whatsoever. You could cut to the more important ending stuff straight from the beginning and lose almost nothing.
Wanted to respond earlier, Cold Steel III does return to the school structure of the first game and is probably the best of the four games with some really cool story beats except that it is way too easy on the default setting. Hard is probably the way to go in that game, but I only played it once so I can't say for sure. Cold Steel IV gets the difficulty balance right again on Normal.

I personally still really liked Cold Steel II, but yeah too much of the war happens off screen :/ Paranoodle mentioned it above, it also has an extended epilogue that's nice to have in some regards (the thing immediately after the first credits is very cool), but it makes an already long game way too long.

Yeah, totally understandable! I think I'm kinder to CS2 than you but I get where you're coming from. They were definitely in a complicated situation with that story because it's wayyyy too long to make as a single game (both in terms of dev cycles and for players), but splitting it into two meant it was going to be impossible to avoid the completely different pacing across both games, and even then both of them feel like their endings drag on for too long after their respective climaxes. The final final dungeon of CS2 (in the epilogue, not the finale) really had no place being anything but an optional post-game dungeon imo.

I didn't really mind the revisiting, personally, especially because it comes with interesting character growth even if there's no huge plot differences. And everything with finding the scattered students I really enjoyed after having seen all their little individual arcs in the first game. There's definitely a weird amount that happens offscreen, but on the other hand I'm not sure it would've really worked with the tone to just outright have a lot more involved war sequences.

Wanted to respond earlier, Cold Steel III does return to the school structure of the first game and is probably the best of the four games with some really cool story beats except that it is way too easy on the default setting. Hard is probably the way to go in that game, but I only played it once so I can't say for sure. Cold Steel IV gets the difficulty balance right again on Normal.

I personally still really liked Cold Steel II, but yeah too much of the war happens off screen :/ Paranoodle mentioned it above, it also has an extended epilogue that's nice to have in some regards (the thing immediately after the first credits is very cool), but it makes an already long game way too long.
I'm actually really curious to try CS3 for that reason (among others - I also just want to keep going haha), but given what I've heard about its contents I've started going through Trails in the Sky first (and might get around to Zero/Azure first too?) so I can have any context whatsoever for a good chunk of the cast. It's going a little slow since I'm following a guide to avoid missing things, but it's really neat to play after having seen CS. Especially all the comments everyone makes about how Erebonia is the worst place ever lmao, I know, I've been there.

And yeah, I love a lot of the epilogue/divertissement in theory, but in practice the execution just really really drags, especially when the epilogue dungeon is significantly less interesting and less relevant than the finale dungeon. I also wasn't super fond of the divertissement dungeon but I think that one's more a matter of taste.

Good to know! Cold Steel 3 is on my list, I actually already have it on PS from a sale a while ago but I haven't played it yet. I didn't hate CS2 or anything, I just enjoyed it a lot less than the first. The series has a definite charm to it that's not quite like most anything else I've played, even if I have issues with some things

Yeah, totally understandable! I think I'm kinder to CS2 than you but I get where you're coming from. They were definitely in a complicated situation with that story because it's wayyyy too long to make as a single game (both in terms of dev cycles and for players), but splitting it into two meant it was going to be impossible to avoid the completely different pacing across both games, and even then both of them feel like their endings drag on for too long after their respective climaxes. The final final dungeon of CS2 (in the epilogue, not the finale) really had no place being anything but an optional post-game dungeon imo.

I didn't really mind the revisiting, personally, especially because it comes with interesting character growth even if there's no huge plot differences. And everything with finding the scattered students I really enjoyed after having seen all their little individual arcs in the first game. There's definitely a weird amount that happens offscreen, but on the other hand I'm not sure it would've really worked with the tone to just outright have a lot more involved war sequences.

I'm actually really curious to try CS3 for that reason (among others - I also just want to keep going haha), but given what I've heard about its contents I've started going through Trails in the Sky first (and might get around to Zero/Azure first too?) so I can have any context whatsoever for a good chunk of the cast. It's going a little slow since I'm following a guide to avoid missing things, but it's really neat to play after having seen CS. Especially all the comments everyone makes about how Erebonia is the worst place ever lmao, I know, I've been there.

And yeah, I love a lot of the epilogue/divertissement in theory, but in practice the execution just really really drags, especially when the epilogue dungeon is significantly less interesting and less relevant than the finale dungeon. I also wasn't super fond of the divertissement dungeon but I think that one's more a matter of taste.
Ideally playing the games in release order is the way to go and we are almost at that point where it will be officially easy which is awesome. You especially want both Sky and Crossbell (at least Zero if you can't fit Azure in) under your belt for Cold Steel III. Huge parts just don't have the same impact otherwise. My order through the series was the less than ideal English release order of 1, 2, 6, 7, 3, 8, 4, 9, 5. I'm glad I at least got to play Zero (4) with the Geofront fan translation before Cold Steel IV (9) which made me appreciate any Crossbell stuff a lot more.

I agree the Divertissment dungeon itself isn't the best, but the characters / story around it is cool.
I like the Geofront more in 2D overall, but once I had full Crossbell context, seeing sections recreated in 3D is neat.

Beat like 5 action games back to back and I want to switch up with something turn based but I have choice paralysis between digging into Triangle Strategy, replaying an older Pokemon or SMT game.

Beat like 5 action games back to back and I want to switch up with something turn based but I have choice paralysis between digging into Triangle Strategy, replaying an older Pokemon or SMT game.
If you don't have a strong preference just like that, it'll probably be neat to play Triangle Strategy while it's still fresh and a lot of people are talking about it, if that's something that you enjoy at all. Since the replays will always be more or less the same socially whenever you get back to them again.

Ideally playing the games in release order is the way to go and we are almost at that point where it will be officially easy which is awesome. You especially want both Sky and Crossbell (at least Zero if you can't fit Azure in) under your belt for Cold Steel III. Huge parts just don't have the same impact otherwise. My order through the series was the less than ideal English release order of 1, 2, 6, 7, 3, 8, 4, 9, 5. I'm glad I at least got to play Zero (4) with the Geofront fan translation before Cold Steel IV (9) which made me appreciate any Crossbell stuff a lot more.

I agree the Divertissment dungeon itself isn't the best, but the characters / story around it is cool.
I like the Geofront more in 2D overall, but once I had full Crossbell context, seeing sections recreated in 3D is neat.
Yeah, I decided to start with CS because I watched a friend play it and it was the one I was curious about, and it's usually easiest to get into a series if you've found a point that appeals to you. Especially since from what I understand, CS1-2, Sky, and Zero/Azure are kind of their own contained stories even if they're connected. I'm definitely going to play through at least Sky 1-2 before I touch any others though. Sky 3... we'll see when I want to get around to that one given what I've heard of it - I'm curious, but I might put it off a bit.

The divertissement was a really really neat idea to me in theory, but I think my biggest issue with it was really just that as someone who hadn't played Crossbell yet, it felt like a lot of "hey remember this" when I didn't have anything to remember and no attachment to the setting/characters. And you can get that to work sometimes if you're careful with the writing, but I didn't really warm up to what they showed of Lloyd and Rixia, and having a ton of somewhat clumsy namedrops with nothing concrete attached to them didn't help. Especially given that that section lasts several hours and at that point I'd been ready to wrap up the game for a while. I'm definitely curious to see the original dungeon layout though.

Unrelated, but I ended up getting Maglam Lord last week and I'm not quite done with it yet but it's honestly been a really fun time. I really miss that feel of like... B-movies of games, if that makes sense? It's pretty low-budget, really really stupid, and really sincere and goofy. The sincerity is honestly kind of impressive given that it's also a genre parody of at least two different genres, but never gets caught up in its own irony or anything. I'll probably write up something a bit more comprehensive at some point once I'm done but it's been like having video game junk food in exactly the way I was looking for haha

Is anyone else playing ELEX 2?

Heard good things, but I'm reserving judgment.

So it has almost been a week, but I have finished Three Houses again. New game + was a god-send. I immediately started with higher levels and pre-built relationships. I went with the hard difficulty on Claude's route

I liked Claude's journey a little better. I didn't have to deal with a debbie downer with Dimitri. I also liked that it didn't end with just Edelgard and that there were a couple of chapters after it.

Also, last time I didn't end up with any romance options but this time I had five options :cool: I went with Annette

So confession time. At chapter 19 I hit the wall big time. I checked out and dropped to normal difficulty. I will not apologize.

I'm probably talking a JRPG break for a little while since I've played a bunch recently. Sooner than later I will want to play Edelgard's path because I am really curious to see how that plays out. Not sure if I will bother with the secret fourth path since I have read mixed reviews on it. I will say that Three Houses is close to becoming my favorite Fire Emblem game after Awakenings.

My next JRPG though will probably be Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'd like to play that before XC3 comes out. Those are super long games though.

I did a playthrough of Suikoden 3, and started 4 right after. Great story so far, but terrible boat handling.

I wasn't expecting Link's even more dashing cousin to be the first real wall of SMTV.
928d22e25ce2d2f99da78f4871b8bc5a.png

My next JRPG though will probably be Xenoblade Chronicles 2. I'd like to play that before XC3 comes out. Those are super long games though.
They're not short, but XC2 in particular has great difficulty settings that can really speed-up the game, if you're mainly interested in story content.

They're not short, but XC2 in particular has great difficulty settings that can really speed-up the game, if you're mainly interested in story content.

Honestly, I might take up that route. XC took me the better of 9 years to complete and there were several difficulty spikes, especially in the latter half. I'm not sure I will want to be messing around like that for a 70+ hour JRPG again.

Hoping somebody can help me remembering a game for the Genesis, it was an RPG in first person and it wasn't phantasy star or might and magic. It was a fantasy medieval setting and kinda anime (this happened because I was playing Phantasy Star and my brother came and mentioned how we had a similar game for the genesis)

Hoping somebody can help me remembering a game for the Genesis, it was an RPG in first person and it wasn't phantasy star or might and magic. It was a fantasy medieval setting and kinda anime (this happened because I was playing Phantasy Star and my brother came and mentioned how we had a similar game for the genesis)
Shining in the Darkness? Kinda obscure but it sorta fits the description, there's a lot of those games on Genesis somehow.

Back
Top Bottom