• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

I beat Chrono Cross tonight! I had an awesome time revisiting it and playing Radical Dreamers finally made it even better. If the new HD remaster credits are teasing a new Chrono game, I’m really excited to see it. I wrote a big post about beating the game in the Chrono Cross ST that I’ll share here too below this post.

I’m not sure what RPG I’ll play next, but I’m probably sticking with retro games and replays for a little longer since I want to fully wrap up my Wii and Wii U Virtual Console games and replay a few GameCube games. Unless I’m forgetting something, the next new RPGs I’m looking forward to are Live A Live and Xenoblade 3, so plenty of time to work on my RPG backlog :)
Nice. How long did it take to play Chrono through? Is it Final Fantasy long? Or a little shorter?

I’m playing Lost Judgment. Unlocking skills and doing rpg stuff, in what may or may not be counted as a role playing game. Loving it!

I beat Chrono Cross tonight! I had an awesome time revisiting it and playing Radical Dreamers finally made it even better. If the new HD remaster credits are teasing a new Chrono game, I’m really excited to see it. I wrote a big post about beating the game in the Chrono Cross ST that I’ll share here too below this post.

I’m not sure what RPG I’ll play next, but I’m probably sticking with retro games and replays for a little longer since I want to fully wrap up my Wii and Wii U Virtual Console games and replay a few GameCube games. Unless I’m forgetting something, the next new RPGs I’m looking forward to are Live A Live and Xenoblade 3, so plenty of time to work on my RPG backlog :)
I'm in the same boat, I don't have any RPGs really until July (unless AI:Nirvana counts? Not really), so it's time to backlog a bit. First up will be Torna, as I somehow still haven't played it and I want to get it done before XC3.

Nice. How long did it take to play Chrono through? Is it Final Fantasy long? Or a little shorter?
My playtime for Chrono Cross hit 34 hours and 37 minutes. That was a very thorough playthrough and I did make regular, but not constant use of turbo mode which really improved the pacing. I don’t remember if I posted about it here, they just gave people the turbo mode item from the start (you previously had to beat the game) and it does not effect the clock from my testing. My Switch says I hit 45 hours or more with Radical Dreamers. That seems a bit high, but I guess I did hang out on the menus a bit at points. Anyway yeah depending on how much of turbo mode you use and if you don’t do basically everything, you could cut it down.

Curious if anyone knows, was Chrono Cross the first console RPG with a built in turbo mode? I can’t think of another one.

I'm in the same boat, I don't have any RPGs really until July (unless AI:Nirvana counts? Not really), so it's time to backlog a bit. First up will be Torna, as I somehow still haven't played it and I want to get it done before XC3.
Ai Nirvana Initiative is also my only other high priority game before Live A Live and Xenoblade 3. But yeah it’s certainly a visual novel :) Definitely want to play Mario Strikers too, but I don’t think that one will take up much time unless there’s some wild mode they haven’t shown off.

Been playing Wizardry VII after replaying VI. This game is weird, confusing, and good as hell, especially without using an faq. Highly recommend people go out and try it.

I had been busy wrapping up Halo Infinite (great game, probably my 2nd favorite Halo), but I’m on now to my next RPG, Zelda II. I’ll cut right to it, I’m really determined to finally beat this game, but I’m really not enjoying it much. I find it really hard to react to enemy attacks in time and a lot of monsters take a lot of hits. I had started this save a while ago now and was playing it irregularly, and picking it up tonight I cleared dungeons 2 and 3. Perhaps I’m halfway through? I’m playing through NSO so I’m not afraid to use save states and rewind. I’m not sure I’d finish it otherwise. I’ll make a post when I finish it, but I don’t think my opinion will change much. I am impressed with the ambition/presentation, but that’s about it.

I had been busy wrapping up Halo Infinite (great game, probably my 2nd favorite Halo), but I’m on now to my next RPG, Zelda II. I’ll cut right to it, I’m really determined to finally beat this game, but I’m really not enjoying it much. I find it really hard to react to enemy attacks in time and a lot of monsters take a lot of hits. I had started this save a while ago now and was playing it irregularly, and picking it up tonight I cleared dungeons 2 and 3. Perhaps I’m halfway through? I’m playing through NSO so I’m not afraid to use save states and rewind. I’m not sure I’d finish it otherwise. I’ll make a post when I finish it, but I don’t think my opinion will change much. I am impressed with the ambition/presentation, but that’s about it.
Zelda II does a fair number of cool things, but is also incredibly bogged down by design choices that haven't aged well. I remember banging my head against it for a while and finally getting to the Great Palace before giving up. It'd be MUCH better on NSO with save states and rewinding, I'd have a lot more fun with it I'm sure.

Zelda II does a fair number of cool things, but is also incredibly bogged down by design choices that haven't aged well. I remember banging my head against it for a while and finally getting to the Great Palace before giving up. It'd be MUCH better on NSO with save states and rewinding, I'd have a lot more fun with it I'm sure.
Yeah there’s things to appreciate for sure. When I wrote my post I had just come off this section with two iron knuckles (one blue who throws a bajillion knives at you) that you fight in cramped corridors so you can’t jump slash them (which I still have difficulty with) so I was definitely feeling extra down on it. The vision of this game is especially cool for an NES game as you bounce between the overworld and the 2D sections. I think I’m sticking with it in large part because it is the only Zelda game I never beat (not counting the Tingle games the US never got lol), but also I do genuinely want to see all of it. One thing I just saw that I liked was this maze island that houses the fourth dungeon. I really wonder if the giant mazes in Breath of the Wild were calling back to it in a way.

My stats are almost maxed out and I have both the downward and upward thrusts now so the combat is more complete now and the progression is relatively smoother (dungeon 4 wasn’t that bad, I’m in 5 now). I definitely wish you got the downward thrust earlier because that is a game changer when enemies are vulnerable to it. Still a very frustrating game still, but I’m less annoyed at the moment. Also I am definitely intimidated by the Great Palace where you dropped off. I read up on it yesterday and it seems extra daunting

I finished Zelda II tonight! That was a genuinely frustrating and stressful game! I don’t really have much to add to what I said in the last two posts, but I did get better at the combat for the back half and the downward and upward thrusts helped a lot. Through the first three dungeons thus took me significantly longer than the last four. I guess for the last stretch, the dragon boss was pretty cool and I enjoyed seeing the first ever Shadow Link fight. I remembered over the years hearing about the best strategy for him, crouch in the corner, so he did sadly go down fast. I’ll take the victory lap after surviving The Great Palace however. I’m very glad I can finally say I’ve completed all of the main Zelda games now.

With Zelda II behind me, I do have a few RPGs I’m kicking around next including a Final Fantasy VI replay (my final Wii Virtual Console game), a Paper Mario replay, and continuing my playthrough of Pokemon Brilliant Diamond that I only briefly started. I’m most likely going to play Earthbound Beginnings however. I’ve been playing so many retro games lately to fully wrap up my Wii U and I figured I’d clear out the NES games first. I’ll probably decide tomorrow.

This was shared in the main thread too, but I thought it would be of interest here too if you haven’t seen it: Final Fantasy XVI is at “the finale” of development.

Most exciting to me is this part of the director’s message:

My hope is that the adults who have grown up, understand the rules of society, and drifted away from Final Fantasy thinking ‘the real world isn’t as easy as a video game’ can remember the enthusiasm they had back then. That’s what we’re keeping in mind as we make this game.

I adored XV a lot personally for what it was, but this seems like an exciting, different guiding direction for the series while at the same time feeling like classic Final Fantasy. Can’t wait to see it again.

Last edited:
I'm genuinely interested in Final Fantasy XVI but I'm not sure I'm getting it at launch because I don't feel like dropping $500 on a console for a single game.

Also the key art at the top of the Eurogamer article about Yoshi-P's update is very late 90's/early 00's grimdark (and very reminiscent of Dragon Age Origins) and that's a bit offputting to me at the moment

at the same time feeling like classic Final Fantasy
I'll be interested to see if they can pull this off given its an action-RPG again

I'm genuinely interested in Final Fantasy XVI but I'm not sure I'm getting it at launch because I don't feel like dropping $500 on a console for a single game.

Also the key art at the top of the Eurogamer article about Yoshi-P's update is very late 90's/early 00's grimdark (and very reminiscent of Dragon Age Origins) and that's a bit offputting to me at the moment

I'll be interested to see if they can pull this off given its an action-RPG again
Oh I meant more the philosophy guiding it rather than gameplay. To me what always stood out for Final Fantasy was always this desire to constantly reinvent itself. It was never comfortable being the same thing twice. It always discarded the world, the characters, and the battle system to start fresh each time, but they all have this ambitious drive even if they don’t fully succeed. I think there is a subtle, but real hunger in that quote that feels like Final Fantasy. That’s what making me excited.

Oh I meant more the philosophy guiding it rather than gameplay. To me what always stood out for Final Fantasy was always this desire to constantly reinvent itself. It was never comfortable being the same thing twice. It always discarded the world, the characters, and the battle system to start fresh each time, but they all have this ambitious drive even if they don’t fully succeed. I think there is a subtle, but real hunger in that quote that feels like Final Fantasy. That’s what making me excited.
Totally agree with you about that being a big appeal of the franchise. It’s always been an anthology series and that’s become more true since it started being handed off to different teams after X released.

This was shared in the main thread too, but I thought it would be of interest here too if you haven’t seen it: Final Fantasy XVI is at “the finale” of development.

Most exciting to me is this part of the director’s message:

I adored XV a lot personally for what it was, but this seems like an exciting, different guiding direction for the series while at the same time feeling like classic Final Fantasy. Can’t wait to see it again.
What I want most is for Final Fantasy to be FANTASY again. Like, give me magic, weird creatures, airships, bright colorful locations, humor, etc. The thing that bugged me the most about FF15 (other than the battle system) was that it seemed to be trying really hard to 'ground' the fantasy elements in a more modern reality (cars, gas stations, cell phones, diners, etc.) and that's just not at all what I want out of a FF game. I want to go back to games more in the vein of FF9 and FF12. Now, I'm still totally down for the game reinventing itself and trying new things, and I'm open to a lot of options and ideas, I just really hope they steer a bit more away from the FF15 style world and lean more into the classics.

I don't remember if this was already posted but all the good feels from this Kat "Axe of the Blood God" Bailey interview of Hironobu Sakaguchi about his infamous playthrough of FFXIV:

What I want most is for Final Fantasy to be FANTASY again. Like, give me magic, weird creatures, airships, bright colorful locations, humor, etc. The thing that bugged me the most about FF15 (other than the battle system) was that it seemed to be trying really hard to 'ground' the fantasy elements in a more modern reality (cars, gas stations, cell phones, diners, etc.) and that's just not at all what I want out of a FF game. I want to go back to games more in the vein of FF9 and FF12. Now, I'm still totally down for the game reinventing itself and trying new things, and I'm open to a lot of options and ideas, I just really hope they steer a bit more away from the FF15 style world and lean more into the classics.
I definitely feel wanting to get a more colorful fantasy feeling Final Fantasy game again. I miss that too. I think this game will be more fantasy driven, but I don’t get the vibe it’s going to be colorful. One of the casualties of them moving to HD has definitely been way less FF games in general so we don’t get a range of tastes covered anytime quickly. It had been such a huge gap, well over ten years, between our last new FF world revealed (XIII and Versus XIII/XV) to this one. We got another huge team tied up with tons of FF7 Remake games for better or worse too. I wish they felt more comfortable with say having a Switch game be a numbered FF to capture something like Final Fantasy IX again. Maybe Asano’s team could make something similar to Warriors of Light again one day which really kind of was our last taste of something more colorful.

I definitely feel wanting to get a more colorful fantasy feeling Final Fantasy game again. I miss that too. I think this game will be more fantasy driven, but I don’t get the vibe it’s going to be colorful. One of the casualties of them moving to HD has definitely been way less FF games in general so we don’t get a range of tastes covered anytime quickly. It had been such a huge gap, well over ten years, between our last new FF world revealed (XIII and Versus XIII/XV) to this one. We got another huge team tied up with tons of FF7 Remake games for better or worse too. I wish they felt more comfortable with say having a Switch game be a numbered FF to capture something like Final Fantasy IX again. Maybe Asano’s team could make something similar to Warriors of Light again one day which really kind of was our last taste of something more colorful.
Yeah, I've been having similar feelings too. I like the experimentation, but it's definitely a different feeling when you get one experiment every 5+ years (and like you said, 10+ for new settings) as opposed to back when it was more frequent.

In my case it doesn't help that I really didn't like what they did with XV (and I used to like XIV, but I really disliked what they did with 3.0 onwards and fell off hard), and XVI sounds like it might still be closer to those than to some of the previous ones. If they went back to something more like IX, even as a spin-off, I'd be so happy ;-; Maybe more women in it too, while I'm dreaming

I started Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition a week ago to be ready for XB3 in July. I'm 16 hours in and enjoying it a lot. A big nostalgia trip too, as I last played it 9 years ago. I like the updated art style, which is more in line with XB2's anime design. The new menu is a very welcomed, and the rearranged versions of the soundtrack is a very well done improvement.

Doing every sidequest, travel each corner and sometimes get killed by enemies way above my level. Seeing items for quest on the map and having markers for arts when in the right position are a godsend. Great experience so far. Let's see if the rest of the game holds up even knowing the story.

I started Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition a week ago to be ready for XB3 in July. I'm 16 hours in and enjoying it a lot. A big nostalgia trip too, as I last played it 9 years ago. I like the updated art style, which is more in line with XB2's anime design. The new menu is a very welcomed, and the rearranged versions of the soundtrack is a very well done improvement.

Doing every sidequest, travel each corner and sometimes get killed by enemies way above my level. Seeing items for quest on the map and having markers for arts when in the right position are a godsend. Great experience so far. Let's see if the rest of the game holds up even knowing the story.
Wanted to respond earlier, but I had an awesome time myself revisiting Xenoblade Chronicles with the Definitive Edition two years ago. I was extra thorough in that playthrough and saw all of the post game content I skipped originally including the full Tephra Cave. Eager to hear your thoughts as you keep playing!

Playing Cuberpunk 2077 on ps5. It’s very different than what I expected so far, since I never watched anything from the game before, except for reading about how awful it is.

It’s nice looking, but a bit boring so far. The characters are not my cup of tea.

I’m not 100% invested just yet, but I think I started my next RPG. If it is, I’ll be replaying Paper Mario! I think I’ve only beaten this game twice on N64 because I don’t believe I ever finished my replay on the Wii VC version. I’m playing on my Wii U VC copy so it does have the dark filter which looks extra rough here, but I do get save states which might be worth the tradeoff. I have a lot of fondness for the first game, but it does start slow as action commands aren’t even available at the start (pressing A to double jump, A to block, etc.). I just recruited my favorite party member with Bombette, so I think I’m about halfway through the first dungeon. My favorite thing thus far is seeing all of the unique NPCs. Toads have names and distinct features which infamously is missing in the modern Paper Marios. I forgot just how much text is in the game especially if you bring Goombario along with his Tattle ability. How full and realized the world is still feels special and there’s no overworld / stage select to take away from it like in Mario RPG.

I’ll make another post when I fully commit. I’m also very tempted to start a Final Fantasy VI replay. I rarely successfully do this with RPGs, but May is mostly empty for new releases for me so maybe I’ll juggle both lol. I mentioned Earthbound Beginnings in my last post, but I wasn’t feeling it when I booted it up (didn’t even exit Ninten’s house) so I’ll save it for a little later.

The SP version on NSO is awesome. Starts you at the start with all the exp grinded out. Makes the game doable for me lol

I said I was gonna play NTWEWY, but I got side tracked by XB Torna.
I have to saying eventhough it was a great prequel game, I wish they didn't lock main story progression behind the community raising project. It kind of felt like added padding to make the game take longer to finish.

And now after finishing Torna, I kinda now feel like playing Cold Steel 3 first!

I just finished the introduction and I am sooo stoked at the character line up they showed in the opening!!!
This is kind of starting to feel like the Avengers Assemble type of stuff and I eat that up. XD

I love converging storylines and all that jazz!
So I'm really looking forward to playing this!

NTWEWY will have to wait a bit longer in the backlog. 🥲

Started playing Oninaki, after finishing 13 sentinels, and its interesting. Nothing mind-blowing cause Tokyo RPG Fac, but the tones, theme and art great.

Started playing Oninaki, after finishing 13 sentinels, and its interesting. Nothing mind-blowing cause Tokyo RPG Fac, but the tones, theme and art great.
I beat it a year or two back its kinda forgettable but for a few afternoons utd s good time killer and the music is nice.

Going to start Chrono Cross today now that I have my physical copy. I don't remember anything from this besides the weird battle system and only played it once since 1999 (and rushed too as I had to share my game time with my brother)

I played around 2 hours yesterday Chrono Cross and fast forward is a god send, makes the experience easier to digest(especially in battle with all those crazy magic effects), but I'm still confused about the battle system. So I attack to level up the element bar, but using an element takes 7 stamina, so it put me in negative , so I can't do anything untill it's positive again which is more a risk than a reward to using elements ??

Still playing Cyberpunk 2077 on ps5, it got more interesting story wise after around 3-4 hours.

Started playing Tales of Arise with a friend this week! We'd be doing multiplayer but since there isn't any, I'm mainly just being the peanut gallery while they're on controller duty.

It's really weird, we didn't get around to it until now because we're both Tales fans and the entire marketing for the game when it released was basically just "the Tales game for people who don't like Tales games" and it really turned us both off on it. But now that we're actually playing it, it's just... as much of a Tales game as all the previous ones? So it's just really bizarre to me that they would want to sell it like that when I'm pretty sure we're not the only fans who avoided it for that reason.

So far it's pretty fun, it's very Tales in its writing, for good and bad. I don't understand why they're trying to do badly-written fantasy racism yet again, because it didn't work the previous 3+ times and it's definitely not working now. I'm enjoying the characters so far though, even if a lot of their writing is pretty goofy, it's at least goofy in a way where that's a big part of the appeal imo.

Playing through Yakuza LAD on XCloud right now. Works pretty well, since latency isn't much of an issue with a turn-based game, though it seems low to me anyways

The game itself is an absolute blast. Great story, great characters (Ichiban is just an amazing protagonist, but the rest of the cast is also really good). The actual mechanics are a bit basic and the combat makes Dragon Quest look like a bastion of complexity, but its presented with such a sense of style that I'm still enjoying it quite a bit.

Disgaea is lkost on me. I loved the games on PS2 and PS3, but somehow playing the new titles just feel so off. Like, I can't get myself to power level anymore.

Disgaea is lkost on me. I loved the games on PS2 and PS3, but somehow playing the new titles just feel so off. Like, I can't get myself to power level anymore.
The original team was poached around 2011 by Idea Factory, which caused to break NIS and Idea Factory relationship and since then the series has kind off struggled quality wise.

The original team was poached around 2011 by Idea Factory, which caused to break NIS and Idea Factory relationship and since then the series has kind off struggled quality wise.
Wah I didn't know that. Disgaea 1 and 2 are such great games and NIS just cannot seem to capture the fun of those games.

I played around 2 hours yesterday Chrono Cross and fast forward is a god send, makes the experience easier to digest(especially in battle with all those crazy magic effects), but I'm still confused about the battle system. So I attack to level up the element bar, but using an element takes 7 stamina, so it put me in negative , so I can't do anything untill it's positive again which is more a risk than a reward to using elements ??
Once you have three party members worrying about going into negative stamina is less of a concern. You can essentially have each character use six stamina attacking and then a spell and be fully recharged by the time the first character is ready to go again. The interesting things about the battle system is you can swap to anyone with stamina at anytime and if you need to do some quick healing it can disrupt the usual plan so you’ll have to adapt. If everyone defends you can reset stamina.

I'm not really sure if this counts, but Wikipedia classifies it as an action RPG and that's good enough for me. Earlier tonight I beat a short little game by the name of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, and no, I will NOT insult your big thick meaty brains by telling you what that is. It was a great time from start to finish, which is good because it was only four hours long so any bad parts would have taken up a notable percentage of the entire game. It's an interesting game and I hope a translated version gets added to the Game Boy NSO service eventually. I doubt it will, though. There's not much text and you will see some townsfolk with the same lines as each other, but it's still more text than your usual Game Boy game, and I'm not sure if there's enough demand to play this game for Nintendo to want to spend any amount of time doing a translation. Interest in it seems to be reserved for hardcore Nintendo fans, with most of those being hardcore fans of Link's Awakening. But if any of you ever does have the opportunity to play the game, it comes with a high recommendation from me.

I'm not really sure if this counts, but Wikipedia classifies it as an action RPG and that's good enough for me. Earlier tonight I beat a short little game by the name of Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru, and no, I will NOT insult your big thick meaty brains by telling you what that is. It was a great time from start to finish, which is good because it was only four hours long so any bad parts would have taken up a notable percentage of the entire game. It's an interesting game and I hope a translated version gets added to the Game Boy NSO service eventually. I doubt it will, though. There's not much text and you will see some townsfolk with the same lines as each other, but it's still more text than your usual Game Boy game, and I'm not sure if there's enough demand to play this game for Nintendo to want to spend any amount of time doing a translation. Interest in it seems to be reserved for hardcore Nintendo fans, with most of those being hardcore fans of Link's Awakening. But if any of you ever does have the opportunity to play the game, it comes with a high recommendation from me.
I really hope Nintendo makes the effort to bring that game over some time. Hopefully for purchase. I’m still baffled by the limited time Fire Emblem NES release and then it not even showing up on NSO afterwards. They really need to let you buy games you want from these subscription services and honor past purchases.

Kaeru is one of my favourite Game Boy games! Hopefully someday Nintendo will care more about it (never say never, especially after seeing Famicom Detective Club officially translated), but in the meantime, there is the colourization hack we can look for!

Kaeru is one of my favourite Game Boy games! Hopefully someday Nintendo will care more about it (never say never, especially after seeing Famicom Detective Club officially translated), but in the meantime, there is the colourization hack we can look for!

After I finished the game, I thought about how it will be a game that I'll want to play again sometime in the (probably distant) future, and then I remembered the DX version is supposed to come out later this year, and it made me really happy knowing that I'll have that waiting the next time I get to play this game.

Once you have three party members worrying about going into negative stamina is less of a concern. You can essentially have each character use six stamina attacking and then a spell and be fully recharged by the time the first character is ready to go again. The interesting things about the battle system is you can swap to anyone with stamina at anytime and if you need to do some quick healing it can disrupt the usual plan so you’ll have to adapt. If everyone defends you can reset stamina.
Much better now that have 3 party members! I know they really try the open style (ie the different ways to go to the viper manor) but not having an obligatory second member untill the other world felt really weird as you can't really get the feel of the battle system with a full party. A friend was "you didn't got the dog at the beginning?" and I was "I can get the goddman dog???" and checked a faq and saw a lot of things I missed.

I'm playing Ys IX Monstrum Nox and Zwei The Ilvard Insurrection. It's my introduction to Falcom, after years of ignoring their output. (i bought also Ys VIII, Oath in Felghana and Trails in the Sky so more from them in the future)

Monstrum Nox is kinda like what Majora's Mask was for Ocarina of Time. It uses the same base of Lacrimosa of Dana but in a darker setting and with edgy characters. Because of the gifts the Monstrums have, the game uses the verticality of Balduq well, it's fun to scale walls or glide in search of collectibles and treasure chests.

The combat is fun, it has perfect dodge (witch time), perfect block, it's fast paced, and i really like that it doesn't transition to a separate stage for any fight (like for example Neo TWEWY and Tales do).

The story is just okay, it never takes itself too seriously: you're imprisoned in the city but none of the guards and knights are really a threat to you, it takes dying your hair to blue for a disguise and freely walk in the city, even the curse feels more of a blessing to me. It hasn't yet evolved in a big way, the opposite actually it starting to feel a bit repetitive. To sum up all the chapters so far:

"new party member shows up -> random excuse to go through a secret passage and sneak into the prison -> some minor story revelation" and that's the end of the chapter.

There is still the main mystery around Aprilis and what's the deal with the Grimwald Nox which is why i'm interested to finish the game.

Zwei i'm only few hours in, from what i've played so far it is more lighthearted, perhaps the diet coke of Ys. Visually it kinda reminds me of Solatorobo and Snack World, combat is very simple and progression is pretty much only through a series of dungeons. The leveling system is interesting, you level up only by eating so you can choose to eat immediately or risk by going underlevel and trade for better food later. It's fun but also easily exploitable, you can make the game super easy if you want.

Started playing Tales of Arise with a friend this week! We'd be doing multiplayer but since there isn't any, I'm mainly just being the peanut gallery while they're on controller duty.

It's really weird, we didn't get around to it until now because we're both Tales fans and the entire marketing for the game when it released was basically just "the Tales game for people who don't like Tales games" and it really turned us both off on it. But now that we're actually playing it, it's just... as much of a Tales game as all the previous ones? So it's just really bizarre to me that they would want to sell it like that when I'm pretty sure we're not the only fans who avoided it for that reason.

So far it's pretty fun, it's very Tales in its writing, for good and bad. I don't understand why they're trying to do badly-written fantasy racism yet again, because it didn't work the previous 3+ times and it's definitely not working now. I'm enjoying the characters so far though, even if a lot of their writing is pretty goofy, it's at least goofy in a way where that's a big part of the appeal imo.
I enjoyed a lot about Arise, but also had some issues with it (mostly the pacing, how and when it explains things, and how much it fails to land emotional beats) but overall it's a really good step for the franchise I think. The graphics, sound, combat system, etc., are all good, so I'm really looking forward to them using all that to make the next Tales with characters and a plot that I like a lot more :p. Or at least one that fixes the pacing issues.

I enjoyed a lot about Arise, but also had some issues with it (mostly the pacing, how and when it explains things, and how much it fails to land emotional beats) but overall it's a really good step for the franchise I think. The graphics, sound, combat system, etc., are all good, so I'm really looking forward to them using all that to make the next Tales with characters and a plot that I like a lot more :p. Or at least one that fixes the pacing issues.
We're not super far into it yet, so we'll see how I feel about it by the end, but yeah so far the pacing and writing isn't great, but it's also... not an issue that's exactly new for the series, haha. It's weirdly reassuring in a way, like how some cheap fast food still tastes the same when you go back for it. And I mean this as someone who likes exactly that kind of cheap fast food, you know? Weirdly enough, it having the same flaws as almost all the other Tales games is what makes me feel the most at home with it.

That said, yeah I'd also be totally down for them to take all this into a new game with more characters/plot I prefer, and hopefully not yet another story with mind-numbingly bad takes on fantasy racism. If they're going to keep redoing things maybe we could get a rerun of the themes of Abyss? That one was really good.

I suspect Tales of Arise will come to gamepass one day, so I still haven’t tried it. I try to limit my spending on games. Cyberpunk is a game I got from the library, and the ps5 upgrade to it was free. I’m still playing that. Not bad, not great either. I don’t care about the characters, the story has some interesting moments and the gameplay is ok.

I suspect Tales of Arise will come to gamepass one day, so I still haven’t tried it. I try to limit my spending on games.
If it's anything like the previous games in the series, within a year or two you'll be able to pick it up for real cheap (around 80-90% off) when they do their big series sales every few months, so even if it ends up not heading to game pass you should still get a good opportunity to try it without spending too much.

Tales of Arise was really disappointing. I'll definitely trade the uh "better" graphics for proper skits, victory animations, a pool of enemies that isn't abysmal, etc. The combat is a boring mess of getting to tap the boost strike button because everything feels like a sponge now. Music was an all time low. Buuuut, I do appreciate that they tone down the size of the areas from the PS3 games. Dohalim and Rinwell were neat characters, even if it took a while for Rinwell to get there. Narrative wise is just fine, it takes a nosedive on the last act, and it develops this issue of beating you over the head with repetitive dialogue across the board. And this is the first time from the main games, that I feel it doesn't earn its 1v1 duel, which bothers me too much. Took the throne from Graces as my least liked main game in the series, at least that game has fantastic combat.

Back
Top Bottom