• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Finished 4 palaces of P5R, enjoying my time. I am debating if I really want to do the Royal content. I hear the next palace is hell too.
I think you should definitely do the Royal content, it's some of the best story stuff in any Persona game and you'd have to play the whole game again if you wanted to try it. At the very least maybe unlock it and take a break. But if you're enjoying yourself I'm pretty sure you'll like the Royal content, from a gameplay perspective it isn't particularly challenging or anything.

5th Palace in P5 can be troublesome but there's only really one section towards the end that I think is tricky and annoying. The boss gives some people trouble, but I managed to beat it on my first try, so YMMV.

I think you should definitely do the Royal content, it's some of the best story stuff in any Persona game and you'd have to play the whole game again if you wanted to try it. At the very least maybe unlock it and take a break. But if you're enjoying yourself I'm pretty sure you'll like the Royal content, from a gameplay perspective it isn't particularly challenging or anything.

5th Palace in P5 can be troublesome but there's only really one section towards the end that I think is tricky and annoying. The boss gives some people trouble, but I managed to beat it on my first try, so YMMV.

I guess what you are saying makes the most sense. Atleast get to the content and if I want to take a break and circle back, I can. I am behind on the Maruki's social link, so I need to focus on that next.

Ah okay so it may not be as rough as I been hearing.

Finished 4 palaces of P5R, enjoying my time. I am debating if I really want to do the Royal content. I hear the next palace is hell too.
I would definitely play the Royal content, it's excellent and well worth your time. As for Palace 5, the palace itself isn't actually that bad and they made it better and less annoying in Royal - it's just the boss that's a pain and is now worse than before. If you run into issues with it don't hesitate to check guides or ask for advice, it's kind of a bullshit boss that's not balanced well.

Persona 5 Royal is the hardest game I have ever played, yet it was the most rewarding whenever I beat one of the bosses. You should absolutely go for it.

Persona 3 Portable complete. I've been playing Portable for various reasons. Wanted to experience the original first, started it in December, and also I wanted to try playing a Persona game with JP text, so I figured I'd do it on the one I was maybe not gonna play otherwise. That went pretty well. A step above what I usually play with JP text (fantasy genre stuff mostly) but it was very fun.

So for the story itself, I found it a bit formulaic, I would say I enjoyed P4 and 5 more with 5 still being my fav, but the party cast overall I like more than P4 and 5, helps to have more unique characters than just the students (Koromaru is great). The game's themes are definitely really good and conveyed excellently though, and the credits theme is just so stunning that I've already looped it on Youtube a few times.

I've always heard that Tartarus was bad, boring, dated, etc. I didn't find it bad at all honestly, but maybe I am desensitized to that kind of thing. I was on normal difficulty and pretty much found it to be just right.

With this I now have P3-5 under my belt, with me having played P5 in 2017 and then falling into SMT afterwards instead (I'm now qualified to say that SMT is still superior :cool: ), not playing P4 till last year and P3 till now lol.

I also started Granblue Fantasy Relink, but my focus was on P3 till now, so time to put all effort there now!

well, i put NEO:TWEWY on the back-burner this past weekend (though i will say, i started enjoying it a little more) in favor of picking up Star Ocean: Second Story R.

loveee how SO2 looks on my OLED. i’m only 5 hours in, but i feel like i just got hit with a whole bunch of menu options and upgrade systems so i’m a little overwhelmed. also, i can never seem to master the perfect counterattack maneuver… gonna have to watch some videos.

hope i can really get into this one. i realize Live A Live is not the same kind of game, but i loved that a lot so had big hopes for another HD2D to lure me in. a little dubious as of now…

Near the end of the first golden sun. May try to bite my teeth into something else this weekend before going into TLA. Not sure what tho. Maybe Ryza or FFIX depending on the mood
At this point I have both switch spin-offs, I should really start this

Ooh, very nice! I loved Galleria a lot, and it does some really cool stuff. You should keep us up to date with your progress!
Sorry for the late reply, I'll do my best but I'm not very good at posting updates on games I'm currently playing lol. So far I think I'm a bit overleveled because I just keep going until my troops are at their limit despite the game telling me to return to the base.

Sorry for the late reply, I'll do my best but I'm not very good at posting updates on games I'm currently playing lol. So far I think I'm a bit overleveled because I just keep going until my troops are at their limit despite the game telling me to return to the base.
No problem! I do the same sometimes. And you can kind of just go until you decide to return, or you're about out of resources. Usually when the game tells you to go back to the base, it's because you've triggered the next 'story segment'. I would recommend going back to watch those when you can, since they often gate progress at various points so there's not going to be a whole lot more you can do yet anyway.

So I'm about 38 hours into Xenoblade 3, somewhere in Ch 4. At this point, I've decided I'm pretty much going to just play this through (including the DLC) and then go straight into FF7 Rebirth. Going to have to do my best to avoid spoilers until I can get to it, but I think I can manage.

Me with the following purchased and unplayed DRPGs in the backlog:
Etrian Odyssey 2 and 3
Labyrinth of Refrain and Galleria
Demon Gaze Extra
Moero Chronicle and Crystal

Also me... buys another one:

8YVvbPe.jpeg

No problem! I do the same sometimes. And you can kind of just go until you decide to return, or you're about out of resources. Usually when the game tells you to go back to the base, it's because you've triggered the next 'story segment'. I would recommend going back to watch those when you can, since they often gate progress at various points so there's not going to be a whole lot more you can do yet anyway.
Funny enough I reached a point where I had back to back story segments because I didn't bother returning to my base when the game told me to.

Well that’s Golden Sun down at a little over 21 hrs. Gonna wait to start TLA till next week tho. Gotta decide what code I’m transferring tho, not sure the items are worth it.

As for what I’m focusing on this weekend as a chill out before a long weekend next week, I’m going to show restraint and see if I can get a groove going on Ryza or FFIX. Tho I do wanna give P5R a go soon. Should focus on what I’ve started tho

Tonight’s extremely random urge: Start a new game of Tales of Berseria. Hey Bamco that’d be a great port for this upcoming Partner Direct…

Tonight’s extremely random urge: Start a new game of Tales of Berseria. Hey Bamco that’d be a great port for this upcoming Partner Direct…
Sakuraba with that “oops I spilled some Dark Souls in your anime…”:

Last edited:
I did see Tales of Berseria on sale for Steam, was wondering if I should cop it. (Not like I don't already have a swathe of other RPGs to get through)

Me with the following purchased and unplayed DRPGs in the backlog:
Etrian Odyssey 2 and 3
Labyrinth of Refrain and Galleria
Demon Gaze Extra
Moero Chronicle and Crystal

Also me... buys another one:

8YVvbPe.jpeg
Oh I'm glad I saw this, I went to buy it because it's stupidly cheap in my region and I fear it may be delisted in the future lol

I did see Tales of Berseria on sale for Steam, was wondering if I should cop it. (Not like I don't already have a swathe of other RPGs to get through)
Berseria is one of the two "Tales of"-Games I played long enough to appreciate (the other one being Vesperia) the cast and story but ultimately I always bounce off of the combat. Berseria's main protagonist takes some time to warm up to with her very harsh and "edgy anime"-protagonist attitude but the rest of the cast is great. And I really dig the personal stakes of the story.

Just started AstLibra. Such a weird game. The combat is like Ys in 2D, it’s very crunchy and cool. But I just got to the first village. Apparently I need to make a torch to explore a cave, and the shopkeeper says I need wood and pine resin to make a torch.

‘Easy!’ I think, being a veteran adventurer of pleasant green rpg worlds. ‘I noticed I could cut down trees on the way, I bet I can find pine trees that drop wood and pine resin’.

Off I go to spend 20 minutes cutting down trees. No resin, but a tooltip says I need to shoot arrows at targets to spawn chests. I don’t have a bow but apparently can just throw arrows at the targets. Meanwhile, a chest pops up from a monster that I don’t have a key for. I need to buy one-use keys and pickaxes in town. While figuring all this out, I realise that the pause screen is saying I should go to the bar. Apparently, despite the item shop owner saying ‘bring me resin and wood’, while the equipment shop owner makes it clear that I need to part-exchange materials and cash for items, leading me to believe that’s what I need to do, what I should have done is go to the bar where the barkeeper wants to sleep with me (WTF?) and some other guy tells me what to do.

Ah. I see. It’s one of those ‘don’t jump ahead of the quest line’ games is it…

Last edited:
Im about 110 hours into Persona 5 Royal and it’s been one amazing ride. Im really happy to add it besides the Xenoblade series and other SMT titles like Devil Survivor, SMT5 and Strange Journey as one of my favourite games of all time.

Oh I'm glad I saw this, I went to buy it because it's stupidly cheap in my region and I fear it may be delisted in the future lol
I decided to just jump immediately into it (up to floor 3 now) instead of "backlogging" it. Loving it so far, a lot of hilarious meta-humor (I liked the Utawarerumono parody opening even with the same music, that's the only other Aquaplus series I've played) and monster catching mechanic is very fun and addicting. Also brutally hard, at least starting out, which I'm all for.

It would be nice if Shiravune and Valve can sort things out by the time I finish this because I really wanna get the sequels on Steam now.

sMpVTru.jpeg

(Not too much images I can share from this game lol so at least enjoy this one)

Berseria is one of the two "Tales of"-Games I played long enough to appreciate (the other one being Vesperia) the cast and story but ultimately I always bounce off of the combat. Berseria's main protagonist takes some time to warm up to with her very harsh and "edgy anime"-protagonist attitude but the rest of the cast is great. And I really dig the personal stakes of the story.
Berseria is an interesting game because it has a lot of the same flaws as the PS3/PS4-era Tales games (pretty linear dungeons, some blandness to the graphics and environments, sometimes can seem pretty 'budget') but where it really shines is in the characters. It has one of the best Tales casts IMO - and while the overly "RAWR I'm EDGY!" stuff with the main character definitely is turned up a bit too far at the beginning, it serves the story very well because these characters really develop and have excellent arcs over the course of the game - there are some very good payoffs later on. Plus it does have great combat - some of the best in the series.

It's also interesting from a plot perspective to be playing as a party who is always on the run and 'against' what you would usually consider to be the 'good guys'.

True, despite my game telling me to go back for the next story segment I dove back into the dungeon cause I noticed I missed one little section lol.

Also you know you're overleveled when the bosses in a new area run away from you on sight.

Update on AstLibra.

So I’m about 6 hours in and things are starting to make sense. Chapter 2 is a lot of fun, the crafting and equipment and skills are all starting to make a bit more sense. It reminds me of playing games before genres really started standardising a lot of things- there’s a lot to figure out as you go.

The story is interesting so far though. I’ve got a lot of questions and the micro-chapters seem like rounded, self-contained tales in their own right. Have got to what seems like the main hub and met some allies and what feels like a gameplay loop is sort of establishing.

I think what’s driving me forward the most is that combat is a lot of fun and there’s so many options to put your own style on it, from defensive builds where shields are actually worth having to the range and power of the bigger weapons. I like that shields increase weight that slows you down, but also have a durability stat that impacts how many attacks in a short period of time you can block- very useful against bosses with masses of projectile attacks.

There’s also an expanding armoury of magic that largely seems to exist to project power at enemies in awkward spots (like above or diagonally below you). But now I got a ‘just hit what’s in front of you really, really hard’ one that I can tell will be very useful on bosses.

Update on AstLibra.

So I’m about 6 hours in and things are starting to make sense. Chapter 2 is a lot of fun, the crafting and equipment and skills are all starting to make a bit more sense. It reminds me of playing games before genres really started standardising a lot of things- there’s a lot to figure out as you go.

The story is interesting so far though. I’ve got a lot of questions and the micro-chapters seem like rounded, self-contained tales in their own right. Have got to what seems like the main hub and met some allies and what feels like a gameplay loop is sort of establishing.

I think what’s driving me forward the most is that combat is a lot of fun and there’s so many options to put your own style on it, from defensive builds where shields are actually worth having to the range and power of the bigger weapons. I like that shields increase weight that slows you down, but also have a durability stat that impacts how many attacks in a short period of time you can block- very useful against bosses with masses of projectile attacks.

There’s also an expanding armoury of magic that largely seems to exist to project power at enemies in awkward spots (like above or diagonally below you). But now I got a ‘just hit what’s in front of you really, really hard’ one that I can tell will be very useful on bosses.
I got in for the combat, but stayed for the story. It will get really, REALLY good. Also don't forget to master the abilites for weaker weapons / armors/ shields. Some of them are really usefull but I missed them after 40 hours because I never thought weaker stuff would give you useful karon skills (IE the tree branch gives you swordsmith wich speed the mastery of weapons).

Now I'm waiting for the DLC to come to switch

Update on AstLibra.

Oh hey I'm also playing through Astlibra! Just finished Chapter 4

Yeah the main highlight for me has to be the combat and progression, it's just so damn satisfying. The story, or at least the plot, is getting pretty solid though. But Chapter 4 is also where the game starts getting the gross fanservicey elements which I'd heard about, and yeah they're pretty bad

Also, Spells make you invincible for the duration, which can be pretty handy. And honestly I think Shields get a bit overpowered thanks to some skills and new techniques, I'm not sure I could currently justify not having one unless I'm trying to master a two hander

I got in for the combat, but stayed for the story. It will get really, REALLY good. Also don't forget to master the abilites for weaker weapons / armors/ shields. Some of them are really usefull but I missed them after 40 hours because I never thought weaker stuff would give you useful karon skills (IE the tree branch gives you swordsmith wich speed the mastery of weapons).

Now I'm waiting for the DLC to come to switch
Yeah I’m swapping kit around a lot. Enjoying the arena challenges at the moment too!

Yeah the main highlight for me has to be the combat and progression, it's just so damn satisfying. The story, or at least the plot, is getting pretty solid though. But Chapter 4 is also where the game starts getting the gross fanservicey elements which I'd heard about, and yeah they're pretty bad

Also, Spells make you invincible for the duration, which can be pretty handy. And honestly I think Shields get a bit overpowered thanks to some skills and new techniques, I'm not sure I could currently justify not having one unless I'm trying to master a two hander
Yeah I’m not keen on voyeuristic fanservice either, just takes me out of the game, especially when 95% of it so far has been grinding through monsters in between an interesting story.

Shields have been really useful in some boss battles. I’ve tended to equip a shield build for those and a bigger weapon for general exploration, in the same way that in the IGA Castlevania’s I usually went for something with a bit of overhead swing or reach too

True, despite my game telling me to go back for the next story segment I dove back into the dungeon cause I noticed I missed one little section lol.

Also you know you're overleveled when the bosses in a new area run away from you on sight.
This was my experience in Mementos in Persona 5 Royal (not the original). Towards the end of the game all the would-be strong Shadows ran away from me.

Well trying to see if I can get momentum going on FFIX. Biggest thing was equipment and abilities right? Can’t remember if there were other tips? At the ice cave. Using some of the cheat toggles
Edit but I am skipping battles which may be an issue for equipment leveling?

Also can’t seem to get a grip on Ryza’s loop. The alchemy is fun but I can’t seem to get the combat

Last edited:
Finding a good rhythm finally. I started P5 Strikers (Switch), had it in my library for like 2 years lol. About 10 hours, really enjoying the game. First thing, Last Surprise version > P5R version, I know its not a hot take. Battles are fun and Bonds are an interesting mechanic. My least favorite thing in this game is the Persona aspect, leveling them and fusing kinda sucks here, but I get it.

Finding a good rhythm finally. I started P5 Strikers (Switch), had it in my library for like 2 years lol. About 10 hours, really enjoying the game. First thing, Last Surprise version > P5R version, I know its not a hot take. Battles are fun and Bonds are an interesting mechanic. My least favorite thing in this game is the Persona aspect, leveling them and fusing kinda sucks here, but I get it.
Oh I’ve got that and tactics in my backlog…. Yet I still need to play P5R

I’m about halfway through chapter 4 now (just reached the sea temple) and wow, yeah the fanservice went from ‘shitty line here and there’ to full on ‘let’s wheel out all the most predictable, obnoxious tropes we can’. It’s like, for every plot beat that’s ‘hey that’s cool I didn’t see that coming’ there’s another where a peddler needs to make a disguise that for some reason involves you asking women for underwear, and then the woman in the party gives the hero her dress, leaving her practically naked. Just the most pathetic, creepiest nonsense, that adds zero to an otherwise excellent game and just detracts from it.

Well trying to see if I can get momentum going on FFIX. Biggest thing was equipment and abilities right? Can’t remember if there were other tips? At the ice cave. Using some of the cheat toggles
Edit but I am skipping battles which may be an issue for equipment leveling?

Just a random tip but it's well worth spending the time stealing from bosses before you kill them, you'll get a bunch of equipment early that way and thus abilities!

I’m about halfway through chapter 4 now (just reached the sea temple) and wow, yeah the fanservice went from ‘shitty line here and there’ to full on ‘let’s wheel out all the most predictable, obnoxious tropes we can’. It’s like, for every plot beat that’s ‘hey that’s cool I didn’t see that coming’ there’s another where a peddler needs to make a disguise that for some reason involves you asking women for underwear, and then the woman in the party gives the hero her dress, leaving her practically naked. Just the most pathetic, creepiest nonsense, that adds zero to an otherwise excellent game and just detracts from it.
Yeah that was really, really weird in comparison with the things you uncover in the middle and how that chapter ends. IIRC this is the worst part, but there are still some bosses with heavy fanservice designs later

LAD: Infinite Wealth
Unicorn Overlord
Persona 3 Reload
SMT V: Vengeance
ReFantazio: Metaphor

Sega/Atlus is straight up mugging me this year.

This year is really shaping up to be a great one for RPGs. Maybe a bit down for AAA and other stuff in general, but RPG fans are eating

I do really want to play through SMTV again but I’ll wait for the reviews to see if Vengeance is really worth the price if you’ve already played the base game.

Monster Hunter Stories is great through! Looking forward to playing that again, I’m glad it’s no longer stuck on 3DS.

I played a bit more AstLibra. As soon as someone mentioned ‘hot springs’ I knew where this was going. It’s a really solid action rpg (with a few puzzles that really don’t make much sense in terms of ‘use x on x’), but the creepy tropey factor just keeps reoccurring. Suffice to say, there’s a really important plotline going on involving time travel, war and destiny, but the chapter ends on… the boys trying to get an eyeful of the girls having a bath. Just pathetic. Chapters 1-3 I’d give an 8/10, but it’s dropping rapidly due to this nonsense plus a few obnoxious puzzles and difficulty spikes. At the start of chapter 7 now, so with any luck I’ll see it through.

I do really want to play through SMTV again but I’ll wait for the reviews to see if Vengeance is really worth the price if you’ve already played the base game.
Another reason to play it after Elden Ring for me. I’m pretty much sold already but if it turns out it’s not as different as I’m hoping or doesn’t add enough then it might end up being a skip.

Back
Top Bottom