• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

I am 41 hours in Persona 5 strikers. Love the game, super fun, it works well cause the cast already knows each other and having no calendar system makes this game fun and easy to do sidequests. Also all the renditions of the ost have been superb, I like them more than Royal.

I am 41 hours in Persona 5 strikers. Love the game, super fun, it works well cause the cast already knows each other and having no calendar system makes this game fun and easy to do sidequests. Also all the renditions of the ost have been superb, I like them more than Royal.
I really need to play Strikers. I've never played a musou I think actually but it seems like it's fun as its own thing.

Finally finished base game P5. The next semester started but man that Mementos ending exhausted me for real. Will double back to Royal sometime later in the year.

I really need to play Strikers. I've never played a musou I think actually but it seems like it's fun as its own thing.
Yeah, I feel that the game has been label a musuo because of Omega Force, but its more action rpg with a lot of enemies 😅 . Plus its not that long for an rpg, I am doing a 100% run and I am 40 hours in the, I think, last part.

I have that and Tactics in the backlog….
Ummm and Royal itself XD. Maybe I’ll make it my next cartridge game. See if I can get going on clearing FFIX or Ryza first tho

Yeah it can be tough to juggle big RPGs. I tried to do it with my Tales of Symphonia replay and first playthrough of Octopath Traveler II back in December to mixed results. Mainly why I’m thinking I won’t even try to do it here. Helps that I’m so close to the end of LAD8 which makes the decision easier. Curious to hear your thoughts on Xenoblade 3 as you wrap up!

Yeah, juggling JRPGs just doesn't work for me, though I'm tempted/distracted by other games all the time (see my massive pile of started but unfinished JRPGs like SMT V).

Still sidequesting in Ch. 5 in Xenoblade 3. I'm going to try finishing this and Future Redeemed before Rebirth, but not rush through and play as I normally would. Rebirth and the rest of my backlog aren't going anywhere.

Hopefully we get it in English.

These games aren't the cream of the crop, but 1 and SVS were pretty fun and enjoyable. SvS was pretty emotional too, more than you'd think from a series like this.

I played through the first 2 on Vita and enjoyed them for what they were. I picked up 3 as well, but I had a defective cartridge and the game wouldn't boot, so I kinda just forgot about it. Might think about it on Switch if I find the time for it.

Last edited:
Complete all of the available quests. Kill all of the unique monsters. Find every secret location. Clear all of the side activities. Only two levels above the recommended level.

cover4.jpg

Surprise, Triangle Strategy on Hard mode is hard as nails. 😂 Literally spent a week now attempting a single combat encounter as I slowly level up, even in failure.

:LOL: Still love it though.
I ended up tuning my game back to Normal after a bit. While hard mode was real challenging, the game was pretty clearly not balanced around it, and a bunch of characters (read: all the physical attackers) end up almost completely unusable due to how much physical punishment the enemies can take vs. how much they do to you.

I will say that I love how, on the first playthrough, you have to be SO careful about how you allocate your promotions and materials. Most of the options are good, but if you put all your resources into a small team you can't swap in alternatives who might be better for the situation at hand, but if you spread out the good too thinly the characters you do use might not be strong enough when you need it. That kind of resource scarcity makes upgrading your characters feel almost like a puzzle game.

I definitely intended to post more as I was playing it (I’ve been super busy), but I did finish Like A Dragon 8 Infinite Wealth last night and just shared some thoughts in the community thread.

I beat Like A Dragon Infinite Wealth a few days ago now and got the Platinum last night after 105 hours. Really enjoyable game from start to finish with an astounding amount of interesting activities to enjoy (especially Dondoko Island), great combat, and truly fantastic characters I care so much about. While Ichiban gets a fun adventure in Hawaii (which is a fantastic setting that feels so fresh) it was definitely Kiryu’s part of the story that really hit and made the game feel special.

Not sure where the series will go from here (Hawaiian Judgment likely aside lol), but I’m down for whatever at this point. They really improved the turn based combat in this one where I’d welcome either an action game or another RPG. Maybe my biggest hope is we get more Gaiden games somewhere in there. Give me a Majima game, an Akiyama game, etc.
Very cool overall and one of my favorite modern turn based RPGs easily which is such a step up from LAD7 where the combat was the weakest part of the game. I really dug how snappy and dynamic combat was in LAD8 as setting up big combos with your characters and taking the environment into account could really pay off (characters leaping and being bounced around was always silly fun too lol). I don’t want to say it was super deep, and poundmates in particular regularly let you skip over junk fights for better and for worse, but it remaining enjoyable throughout was the biggest win in my book after LAD7.

I should mention I did dodge any potential grinding for the Platinum as I exited the two big dungeons at level 60 so I used the preorder gifts and minigame level up boosters to jump to 70 shortly afterwards. I certainly would have had different feelings there otherwise lol. But yeah, overall it’s a fantastic game that I highly recommend playing (ideally after Yakuza 0-7 + Gaiden).

Anyway I’m finally planning to properly start Final Fantasy VII Rebirth tonight which is very exciting. I only played for an hour so far, so I’m still in the prologue. I am bummed I won’t be playing Unicorn Overlord and Dragon’s Dogma II this month likely as a result, but yeah it’s been a gnarly start to the year with so many huge RPGs all at once! Hoping I can finish all of them before July 5th when Trails Through Daybreak launches. I did claim the ST for that since we got our release date this week :)

I haven’t posted in here in a while, so some updates on what I’m playing;

- Persona 3 Reload, currently in October. Somewhat mixed on the game though still liking it, and eager to see the big plot stuff soon!

- Unicorn Overlord: This is going to own my time for a while, it’s very addicting around 5 hours in.

Unfortunately since there’s just not enough time for all these amazing RPGs, I’ll be putting off FF7Rebirth until later (probably May?). Currently my rough plan is to finish what I’m already playing, then Eiyuden Chronicle and maybe Ronin in April, FF7Rebirth May, then June/July is going to be all Elden Ring and SMTV:V.

…2024 is so stacked in the first half, holy cow

Replaying Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey.

tom-and-jerry-tom.gif

It's so fucking good y'all I can't even deal. Been forever since I've done a fresh save.

Got to Dali village after leaving the ice cave in FFIX. Tho probably about to swap games. But with a bit of momentum going I should be really into it tomorrow

Got to Dali village after leaving the ice cave in FFIX. Tho probably about to swap games. But with a bit of momentum going I should be really into it tomorrow
Dali village is so cozy. Most of early FF9 is. Hell, the whole game is other than when random big events happen.

… FF9 remake when?

Replaying Shin Megami Tensei Strange Journey.

tom-and-jerry-tom.gif

It's so fucking good y'all I can't even deal. Been forever since I've done a fresh save.
Yeah it’s such a good dungeon crawl, I love the vibe. It’s so unsettling and it’s cool the way the characters react to the demons- utter fright turning into gradual familiarity. Just grounds it a bit rather than immediate ‘oh yeah now I summon demons on my phone’ with all the detached curiosity of having downloaded some random new social media app.

Last edited:
In memory of Toriyama, decided to pull one out of the backlog… no not DQ3 tho in hindsight maybe I should’ve done that. I did the opening for Blue Dragon since it’s been in my backlog forever XD

In memory of Toriyama, decided to pull one out of the backlog… no not DQ3 tho in hindsight maybe I should’ve done that. I did the opening for Blue Dragon since it’s been in my backlog forever XD
f9dPMtd.gif

But seriously, Blue dragon was a good choice

I picked up Blue Dragon a few weeks ago. I should get around to playing that. It's a shame I don't have my copy of DQ11 with me on hand given recent events. I should give the original DQ a try at some point. I hear it's a short game so maybe it will make for a good weekend playthrough.

So I started Baten Kaitos Origins.

Finally getting to play it after all of these years feels good, but holy cow is the battle system different. I’m grasping it right now, but that’s mostly because of the second boss fight.

Which is stupidly hard at first.

Giacomo as a young kid is something, but he hits like a truck, what the hell. I died like 18 times before finally defeating him.

I assume at least some of you have played the OG FF7 by now so I thought this to be the best place to ask this. I just got off the boat with Jenova’s arm and realized I haven’t got Yuffie in my party yet, but I don’t know how to get back to the mainland. Can I even go back or am I just locked from getting her in my party?

I assume at least some of you have played the OG FF7 by now so I thought this to be the best place to ask this. I just got off the boat with Jenova’s arm and realized I haven’t got Yuffie in my party yet, but I don’t know how to get back to the mainland. Can I even go back or am I just locked from getting her in my party?
Wish I could help, but I didn't even know Yuffie was missable. I remember running into her not long after leaving Midgar and thought it was a scripted event.

Wish I could help, but I didn't even know Yuffie was missable. I remember running into her not long after leaving Midgar and thought it was a scripted event.
Yeah Yuffie and Vincent both are missable and were considered sorta "secret" characters since you have to do specific things to recruit them rather than the story just putting them into your party like the others.

@Pillydillsy from what I'm reading (it's been a while, gotta refresh my memory 😅) you can encounter Yuffie again in any forest battle up until you go to the very end area. Do be aware that recruiting her triggers a sidequest you have to go through that's a bit of a sidetrack but it's not too big a deal to complete.

No need to go back , as @chocolate_supra mentioned, any forest can trigger her encounter up until before the endgame area

Oh, how I long for the days when Yuffie was optional. We didn't realize how good we had it back then.
And Vincent too. I still have the memory card with my first save of FFVII and I didn't had either. It took me until replay years ago to actually get both of them

I think one of the original Final Fantasy VII's biggest flaws was that party members don't really gain experience outside of battle. I think they level up slightly but they'll be tens of levels behind the party members you are actually using by the end of the game and with the materia system, you're really encouraged just to stick with the same party throughout the whole game.

The lack of progression for reserve party members is what slows down the Octopath Traveler games for me. For games with large casts of party members, I feel character growth outside of battle is almost necessary. It makes you more willing to try out the characters knowing that they'll be up to speed with your main crew.

I thought about, once I’m done with rebirth whenever I have a reprieve from these headaches, booting up the 3ds and playing Chrono trigger again.

Recent events has had me thinking about the game again and it’s been a good while since I played it last.

Getting downvoted on the DQ reddit because I prefer an official DQ release instead of patching it with the fan translation. Man, I really don't understand that site sometimes.

I think one of the original Final Fantasy VII's biggest flaws was that party members don't really gain experience outside of battle. I think they level up slightly but they'll be tens of levels behind the party members you are actually using by the end of the game and with the materia system, you're really encouraged just to stick with the same party throughout the whole game.

The lack of progression for reserve party members is what slows down the Octopath Traveler games for me. For games with large casts of party members, I feel character growth outside of battle is almost necessary. It makes you more willing to try out the characters knowing that they'll be up to speed with your main crew.
Agree on this. One thing I like about Trails is that reserve party members are rarely more than a level or 2 behind the lowest member in use.

The worst is when you have a pile of reserve party members and there’s a mandatory difficult boss fight requiring you to use all of them at the end of the game, when some of them are hours of grinding behind. If you’re going to do that, have them at least sit just a level or five behind the lowest member in the main party.

Another good mechanic for this is RPGs like Chained Echoes or Rise of The third Power where you don’t lose a turn for swapping in reserve troops to keep them all levelled.

IIRC it’s the same as VI (and I suspect other games in the series with larger casts): anyone “benched” gains at 1/2 the rate of the active party. It’s not horrible but if you’re the type of player that only plays with the same characters for the whole game you will have a rough time if the game suddenly forces you to pull people off the bench, which VI and IX definitely do multiple times.

Materia definitely alleviates this with the +stat materia being fairly easy to acquire and level, plus the characters are all blank slates so you don’t have to adjust your tactics significantly to rotate people in/out of the active party. But what will usually burn you harder is those benchers won’t have their limit breaks leveled and that is a sucky grind to do.

I’ve just gotten in the habit of regularly rotating my parties in RPGs. It’s a great way to avoid these problems and it encourages me to use characters I might not regularly use otherwise.

My main issue with rotating party members in RPGs is it means having to keep paying money to keep their equipment updated. I prefer usually just sticking to the same party if I can help it.

I late-preordered Unicorn Overlord so it shipped late, not coming till tomorrow now.

In the meantime, I've been continuing my Dungeon Travelers playthrough, and good lord, this game is my digital crack at the moment.

I'm in the "post game" (which is not really a post game at all even though the credits rolled) and it's gotten way more fun since. Every floor is now has an entirely different look with a unique battle theme, went from sci-fi alien base to high school lmao.

Still unlocking more massive side areas too, and finishing old ones now that I can beat the bosses at the end, great rewards too, the forest had an infinite-use full party heal item.

And yep, always make sure to fully map before moving on

QQkPCs8.jpeg

(The environment 1 floor below the previous lol)

4owX5xE.jpeg

Thought this was fun learning the origins of my favorite FFX song, To Zanarkand:

Nobuo Uematsu revealed that he never intended for FFX’s “To Zanarkand” to be the theme song for the game.

It was actually a song for a flute recital that was unused, but when Uematsu was falling behind deadline, he submitted this for FFX’s theme lol 😂

Here’s the full translation:

Uematsu: “To Zanarkand” was actually not meant to be the theme for FFX. There was a flute player from France who originally asked me to write a song for them to play during a recital. When I wrote the piece, I thought perhaps this sounded a bit too sad for a recital. So I set it aside for the time being.

Sometime after, when I was making the score for FFX, I was falling behind all the while the Producers were hounding me. So since that flute piece was unused, I just kinda meekly handed it to them. They listened to it and said “Yes! This is brilliant!”

In the meantime, I've been continuing my Dungeon Travelers playthrough
It's weird seeing To Heart characters in a DRPG, lol

I also regularly rotate the members of my party. If you give me all these characters then I will try using them all, dammit. Unless someone totally sucks I try to keep them as relevant as possible.

Started a Chrono Trigger replay in honor of Toriyama. It's high praise that I remember this soundtrack so well despite not playing the game for 15 years.

Still dislike though that "Wait" doesn't stop movement on the main battle menu, only when selecting techs or items.

It took about 8 months, but I finally, FINALLY finished Trails into Reverie!!!
I love this series so much ya'll don't understand!!!
Part of the procrastinating was because I didn't want my journey to stop, but since Daybreak is in a few months, I'll live. :*)

Just switch out your party more often? This really isn't a hard problem. Especially in 7 when materia can be equipped by anyone and keeps it's exp.

Back
Top Bottom