• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Started Dragon Quest VIII the other day. I think this is at least the fourth time I've tried to get through it? Across both PS2 and 3DS. Despite its popularity, this one has just never been able to grab me. I've made it all the way through VII and XI, which I'm pretty sure are vastly longer, but this one? Most of my attempts didn't even get Angelo. Currently I've just gotten the boat, and I don't think I've ever gone much further than this.

Trying to analyze why that is, and the main things I've noticed are how small and forgettable most of the early towns are, and how the effort to start faster and streamline the game from VII really didn't do it any favors.

The vignettes start to pick up in the mourning town, but all of the best ones so far still feel like they would have been lost in the shuffle in VII. That town is a real Wind Waker of a story, almost all of the work is done in the last few minutes. Still, I loved the fairytale mysticism of the moonshadow window, and the ending scene made my eyes burn with tears a little, which for me is basically sobbing. Also, damn it took me forever to find the way to get to that mountain. Not a big fan of the overworld in this one.

Something I'm surprised isn't landing is the smaller scale of the story. I miss being on a journey to save the world. I know it eventually ends up in you fighting a god of evil or something like always, and maybe it's because DQ never has interesting antagonists, but chasing Dhoulmagus is surprisingly boring. A lot of this is probably down to the decision to begin in media res, so we have zero personal investment in going after him despite being told about what he did. Dragon Quest should be great at this more personal stuff, and I remember Chapters of the Chosen doing it just fine.

On the one hand, I appreciate its commitment to getting going as fast as possible. 3DS bonus characters aside, you get the full party very early in this one. You fight your first Slimes after just one brief intro cutscene. It sets you loose fast. On the other hand, I think it's just overcorrecting for DQVII's infamously long introduction by throwing you right into it with the bare minimum of context, and the story suffers a bit for it. It takes a while before the game stops operating in flashbacks, and giving you scenarios where the most important events have already happened before you even show up.

The gameplay also isn't really a benefactor of the speedy introduction, for some reason. I feel like my options are decidedly worse here than in other DQ games for at least the first 15-20 hours, despite the speedrun to a full party. It took forever to build up a decent selection of spells, I'm at around level 30 and magic attacks are only now actually becoming good. My party is a mess that's only very slowly coming together under careful guidance. I've barely played III, but I feel like the instantly created party members in that one can do their job better from level 1 than this lot could at level 20.

It's just odd. Jessica's offensive spells are nearly useless when you get her, and it takes like 20 levels for her to get some that start outclassing the whip in damage (the whip doesn't do very good damage to begin with). I wonder if the reason they did skill trees in the first place was to give you more diverse options with such a small cast and no job system, but their do-everything design mostly just ends up making them feel muddled in their purpose. I think Jessica is supposed to be the mage and Angelo the priest, but their skill trees give a lot of weight to completely unrelated things too. It's weird that every single character has an entire skill tree dedicated to fighting barehanded.

I've never been a fan of the tension mechanic either. It's supposedly more efficient than just attacking repeatedly (though apparently not even until you hit high tension), but doing nothing for several turns in a row doesn't feel great. Dragon Quest combat is all about being reactive to the situation, long term planning like this is a poor fit and you're just asking to be smacked down when you get too reliant on it. Apparently it also results in most later bosses spamming Disruptive Wave, so it becomes mostly useless anyway. I'm approaching that point and I've almost never found use for it despite trying, and there have barely been any bosses so far anyway. I also noticed Intimidate was even a thing for the first time? No one ever talks about it, seemingly because it has very few uses.

I generally think of each Dragon Quest as sharing the same basic foundation yet having its own distinct goals, but I feel like I'm being confronted with so many things in this that are just outright worse than XI specifically. Alchemy became a whole lot more involved, Pep works so much better with DQ's combat than Tension, skill trees got much better, the party is twice as big...

So yeah, it's been alright once it got going a little, hopefully I'll see it through this time, but I have a very hard time seeing myself ever relating to why this one is so loved. What's it supposed to be excelling at compared to the others?
I have to admit VIII is a long way from my favourite DQ too, for similar reasons. I like IV, V, VII and XI the most, when I play DQ I just accept I’m in for the long haul and enjoy the journey and the slow beginning, rather than feeling dragged along.

Started Dragon Quest VIII the other day. I think this is at least the fourth time I've tried to get through it? Across both PS2 and 3DS. Despite its popularity, this one has just never been able to grab me. I've made it all the way through VII and XI, which I'm pretty sure are vastly longer, but this one? Most of my attempts didn't even get Angelo. Currently I've just gotten the boat, and I don't think I've ever gone much further than this.

Trying to analyze why that is, and the main things I've noticed are how small and forgettable most of the early towns are, and how the effort to start faster and streamline the game from VII really didn't do it any favors.

The vignettes start to pick up in the mourning town, but all of the best ones so far still feel like they would have been lost in the shuffle in VII. That town is a real Wind Waker of a story, almost all of the work is done in the last few minutes. Still, I loved the fairytale mysticism of the moonshadow window, and the ending scene made my eyes burn with tears a little, which for me is basically sobbing. Also, damn it took me forever to find the way to get to that mountain. Not a big fan of the overworld in this one.

Something I'm surprised isn't landing is the smaller scale of the story. I miss being on a journey to save the world. I know it eventually ends up in you fighting a god of evil or something like always, and maybe it's because DQ never has interesting antagonists, but chasing Dhoulmagus is surprisingly boring. A lot of this is probably down to the decision to begin in media res, so we have zero personal investment in going after him despite being told about what he did. Dragon Quest should be great at this more personal stuff, and I remember Chapters of the Chosen doing it just fine.

On the one hand, I appreciate its commitment to getting going as fast as possible. 3DS bonus characters aside, you get the full party very early in this one. You fight your first Slimes after just one brief intro cutscene. It sets you loose fast. On the other hand, I think it's just overcorrecting for DQVII's infamously long introduction by throwing you right into it with the bare minimum of context, and the story suffers a bit for it. It takes a while before the game stops operating in flashbacks, and giving you scenarios where the most important events have already happened before you even show up.

The gameplay also isn't really a benefactor of the speedy introduction, for some reason. I feel like my options are decidedly worse here than in other DQ games for at least the first 15-20 hours, despite the speedrun to a full party. It took forever to build up a decent selection of spells, I'm at around level 30 and magic attacks are only now actually becoming good. My party is a mess that's only very slowly coming together under careful guidance. I've barely played III, but I feel like the instantly created party members in that one can do their job better from level 1 than this lot could at level 20.

It's just odd. Jessica's offensive spells are nearly useless when you get her, and it takes like 20 levels for her to get some that start outclassing the whip in damage (the whip doesn't do very good damage to begin with). I wonder if the reason they did skill trees in the first place was to give you more diverse options with such a small cast and no job system, but their do-everything design mostly just ends up making them feel muddled in their purpose. I think Jessica is supposed to be the mage and Angelo the priest, but their skill trees give a lot of weight to completely unrelated things too. It's weird that every single character has an entire skill tree dedicated to fighting barehanded.

I've never been a fan of the tension mechanic either. It's supposedly more efficient than just attacking repeatedly (though apparently not even until you hit high tension), but doing nothing for several turns in a row doesn't feel great. Dragon Quest combat is all about being reactive to the situation, long term planning like this is a poor fit and you're just asking to be smacked down when you get too reliant on it. Apparently it also results in most later bosses spamming Disruptive Wave, so it becomes mostly useless anyway. I'm approaching that point and I've almost never found use for it despite trying, and there have barely been any bosses so far anyway. I also noticed Intimidate was even a thing for the first time? No one ever talks about it, seemingly because it has very few uses.

I generally think of each Dragon Quest as sharing the same basic foundation yet having its own distinct goals, but I feel like I'm being confronted with so many things in this that are just outright worse than XI specifically. Alchemy became a whole lot more involved, Pep works so much better with DQ's combat than Tension, skill trees got much better, the party is twice as big...

So yeah, it's been alright once it got going a little, hopefully I'll see it through this time, but I have a very hard time seeing myself ever relating to why this one is so loved. What's it supposed to be excelling at compared to the others?
I think VIII is mostly beloved because it's a lot of people's first DQ game (I've only played it, IX which I didn't get far in, and XI). And XI is very similar to VIII in a lot of ways, but better like you said. Still, VIII has a lot going for it it's just that it's a pretty backloaded game and the first 1/3 to 1/2 feels slow and unfocused.

If you've just gotten the boat, things are picking up but you're still not quite at the point that I would consider when the game really grabs you. I won't say when it is or what happens but it's an area that you usually get to when your party is around level 20-25.

100 hrs barrier broke on Dungeon Travelers

9ESPQPE.png

By this point all of the dungeons are fully mapped out except for the final one (Dark Cathedral) as I still need to defeat an insanely difficult boss to access the end part of it (where the biggest superboss is...)

I'm enjoying the endgame with all the different bosses available to tackle. They're all so draining and exhausting though lol. Every victory is just like "And.... breathe!"

That said this has been an extremely addicting game and I'm so happy there's 2 more even beefier games waiting for me to play someday (but let's wrap this one up first yeah? :LOL:)

As someone that has played all the DQ (minus VI) in when they were released, going from the original slow and loooong intro of the original DQ VII to VIII was very, very appreciated, but yeah to me VIII was their experimental phase to 3D and IX and XI just improved over it. Still I really like the more relaxed trip (even if the game tells you you have to follow on Dhoulmagus) and was more of an oportunity to look at the newly 3d environments

Someone here mentioned Wandering Sword a while back and I got hooked. Love me some wuxia cultivation nonsense, especially when it's drawing so heavily from the really good Jin Yong stories. It just had a big content patch, and is building up to MORE new content, so I'm restarting my save and having a blast punching and sword-ing my way through the Central Plains.

I'm trying to finish Unicorn Overlord this week though and I am full of regret that I have to choose. :LOL:

I have to admit VIII is a long way from my favourite DQ too, for similar reasons. I like IV, V, VII and XI the most, when I play DQ I just accept I’m in for the long haul and enjoy the journey and the slow beginning, rather than feeling dragged along.
That is... the exact same list as me. Though it's also the list of ones I've actually finished, so maybe that's not super surprising. I'm curious to see if I'll be able to get into III whenever the new version finally comes out, because IX's lack of real party members and the grindy-ass DQ job system pretty much kills it for me. I think I vastly prefer having set characters and no job system in these games, so on paper I should love VIII!

I think VIII is mostly beloved because it's a lot of people's first DQ game (I've only played it, IX which I didn't get far in, and XI). And XI is very similar to VIII in a lot of ways, but better like you said. Still, VIII has a lot going for it it's just that it's a pretty backloaded game and the first 1/3 to 1/2 feels slow and unfocused.

If you've just gotten the boat, things are picking up but you're still not quite at the point that I would consider when the game really grabs you. I won't say when it is or what happens but it's an area that you usually get to when your party is around level 20-25.
Oh, I'm well above that level on account of the Liquid Metal Slimes in Trodain! But yeah I know I'm near the turning point in the story, I very vaguely remember it, but I'm pretty sure I never went any further than that. Starting Argonia now. By the way, there's a weird tint of fake nostalgia to this game for me because I played so much DQM Joker as a kid, which relied very heavily on this game's bestiary. A bunch of monsters in this have gimmicks that aren't translated to that game, so there are a bunch of surprises when I fight them here, and things like Diemon finally make sense. I bring this up now because I remember it being an "oh" moment when I first learned why it was called an Argon Lizard.

Oh, I'm well above that level on account of the Liquid Metal Slimes in Trodain! But yeah I know I'm near the turning point in the story, I very vaguely remember it, but I'm pretty sure I never went any further than that. Starting Argonia now. By the way, there's a weird tint of fake nostalgia to this game for me because I played so much DQM Joker as a kid, which relied very heavily on this game's bestiary. A bunch of monsters in this have gimmicks that aren't translated to that game, so there are a bunch of surprises when I fight them here, and things like Diemon finally make sense. I bring this up now because I remember it being an "oh" moment when I first learned why it was called an Argon Lizard.
Ah, okay then! The boss shouldn't be a big deal to you at your level most likely. But I remember the boss (especially in the PS2 version) of that upcoming area was a huge wall for a lot of players, including me. I was stuck there for a very long time, and even went out and got a better monster team and did all kinds of other stuff to power up.

Ah, okay then! The boss shouldn't be a big deal to you at your level most likely. But I remember the boss (especially in the PS2 version) of that upcoming area was a huge wall for a lot of players, including me. I was stuck there for a very long time, and even went out and got a better monster team and did all kinds of other stuff to power up.
Wasn't a problem at all! I enjoyed suddenly getting a real, full-on Dragon Quest boss fight where I'm in a tug of war to keep shields up and stuff. The second phase started to wear down my MP a little close for comfort, but it wasn't that close in the end. This does feel like a turning point where the game finally kicks into gear though, the next boss was more alike than not despite having to be built around a crippled party.

Khalamari was actually a wall earlier, and I expect that will remain the hardest fight in the game unless I go for any superbosses. That boss is way too tough for a point in the game where you have basically zero options outside of attack and heal. I died multiple times on the funny octopus.

I'm now the exact furthest point I've ever gotten to (getting Jessica back), with everyone at the exact same levels. Except I did it an hour faster this time. I'll be a speedrunner yet! Everything from this point on will be completely new to me. Cautiously optimistic?

Wasn't a problem at all! I enjoyed suddenly getting a real, full-on Dragon Quest boss fight where I'm in a tug of war to keep shields up and stuff. The second phase started to wear down my MP a little close for comfort, but it wasn't that close in the end. This does feel like a turning point where the game finally kicks into gear though, the next boss was more alike than not despite having to be built around a crippled party.

Khalamari was actually a wall earlier, and I expect that will remain the hardest fight in the game unless I go for any superbosses. That boss is way too tough for a point in the game where you have basically zero options outside of attack and heal. I died multiple times on the funny octopus.

I'm now the exact furthest point I've ever gotten to (getting Jessica back), with everyone at the exact same levels. Except I did it an hour faster this time. I'll be a speedrunner yet! Everything from this point on will be completely new to me. Cautiously optimistic?
Nice! There's some good stuff coming up, I'll be interested to see your takes on it.

As for the big wall boss:

Dhoulmagus is hard for several reasons, one of which is that he is the first boss to do the 'wave of ice' attack that removes all buffs including tension. He's also a really long two-phase fight and you can run out of MP easily like you said. The big one though is that unless you've grinded or done some metal slimes or explored a lot, you're likely to fight him before Angelo learns multiheal, and having only single target heals is TOUGH against a boss with so many AOE attacks and multiple turns. Even if you're prepared if you're a little underleveled he can be kind of RNG-heavy depending on what attacks he decides to use and when.

And for the boss after that:

Funnily enough despite the 3-person party Jessica is almost laughably easy if you exploit the fact that all her big, powerful attacks are spells that can be reflected back at her with Bounce, if Angelo knows it. It's one of the only times in the game I can remember using it, but it's fantastic in that fight

Nice! There's some good stuff coming up, I'll be interested to see your takes on it.

As for the big wall boss:

Dhoulmagus is hard for several reasons, one of which is that he is the first boss to do the 'wave of ice' attack that removes all buffs including tension. He's also a really long two-phase fight and you can run out of MP easily like you said. The big one though is that unless you've grinded or done some metal slimes or explored a lot, you're likely to fight him before Angelo learns multiheal, and having only single target heals is TOUGH against a boss with so many AOE attacks and multiple turns. Even if you're prepared if you're a little underleveled he can be kind of RNG-heavy depending on what attacks he decides to use and when.

And for the boss after that:

Funnily enough despite the 3-person party Jessica is almost laughably easy if you exploit the fact that all her big, powerful attacks are spells that can be reflected back at her with Bounce, if Angelo knows it. It's one of the only times in the game I can remember using it, but it's fantastic in that fight
I don't know if it was make or break, but I definitely did feel like I got some interesting luck on the RNG. In the second part he kind of seemed to go through "phases" where for a while he used only physical attacks, but then at some point he switched to magic for the rest of the fight and I got like, one more physical attack and I think a breath attack? It was way easier to put up defenses against magic than physical, so I feel like that reduced his damage output a lot over time. And that fight would have been rough without Multiheal, Angelo is already stretched really thin there, I got off one Seraph Arrow to restore some MP in the entire fight.

That next boss taught me that Bounce was a lot better than I thought it was because it doesn't reflect your own buffs and heals, so for the most part there seems to be little reason not to have it always up on Angelo. I threw it up on a whim and she kept only going for him with Kafrizzle, it was pretty funny. It took longer than it probably should have because I left the Shadows alone the entire fight, so all their turns padded things out a lot even though their actual threat was pretty low. I didn't realize how easy they were to kill, if I did the fight again I probably would have just hit them with Sizzle whenever they were summoned and kept going. Although to be honest I was more bothered by my low damage output than the flunkies. Without Oomph and with the boss being immune to lowered defense (way too many enemies are, that's another thing I don't remember happening in other entries), all I could really do offensively was just use my best attack over and over, so it felt like it took way more turns than it should have.

A couple chapters in, I am enjoying Trails in the Sky. I guess it's been a while since I played a proper new-to-me old JRPG, versus something that just wants to play at being one like Octopath Traveler or Chained Echoes. I don't always like when games prevent you from leveling, but here it seems pleasant enough. "You're fine! Don't bother fighting this group for the twentieth time unless you really feel like it."

I did at first think it was some kind of weird Fox News humor when characters were talking about getting a copy of the Liberl News.

Some of the bracer jobs must be very time-specific or have some other prerequisite like talking to the right person. I feel like I check the board for requests frequently, but there have still been a couple where the first time I saw a job was when it was already considered failed.

A couple chapters in, I am enjoying Trails in the Sky. I guess it's been a while since I played a proper new-to-me old JRPG, versus something that just wants to play at being one like Octopath Traveler or Chained Echoes. I don't always like when games prevent you from leveling, but here it seems pleasant enough. "You're fine! Don't bother fighting this group for the twentieth time unless you really feel like it."

I did at first think it was some kind of weird Fox News humor when characters were talking about getting a copy of the Liberl News.

Some of the bracer jobs must be very time-specific or have some other prerequisite like talking to the right person. I feel like I check the board for requests frequently, but there have still been a couple where the first time I saw a job was when it was already considered failed.
Early Trails game are notoriously bad when it comes to missables. The timeframe in some of the sidequests are extremely short or some require you to talk to a specific person at a very specific point in the game.

Ooops, I've put my Unicorn Overlord playthrough on hold to replay Nier Automata for the first time in 4 years. I meant to do it for a while, and hadn't played it on Switch yet. Starting to worry I'll get fatigued of UO if I don't mix it up for a bit, so now seems like a good time.

Playing Nier in handheld mode is really nice, impressive stuff. And I almost forgot how much I loved this game. The gameplay. The art direction. The soundtrack. Only 4 hours in so far, but maybe this time I'll actually go for all the endings.

With only 1/4th of the chapters remaining in Triangle Strategy, I now know why many wish it didn’t have to end- because it all looks so bleak from here! Wow.

I think I’m addicted to handheld tactics games, and I think I’m picking up Tactics Ogre remake next. LMAO

With only 1/4th of the chapters remaining in Triangle Strategy, I now know why many wish it didn’t have to end- because it all looks so bleak from here! Wow.

I think I’m addicted to handheld tactics games, and I think I’m picking up Tactics Ogre remake next. LMAO
Which ending are you on? After all, there are four paths, so you won't even see half of the maps on a single playthrough...

Which ending are you on? After all, there are four paths, so you won't even see half of the maps on a single playthrough...
No idea, I've kept myself spoiler-free in terms of consequences and I'm kind of just rolling with what I feel is best for House Wollfort independence and our Roselle friends.

I have this and have been curious for awhile. I'll have to pick it up after I finish Dragon Quest XI.
Tactics Ogre is also on my list. It's good to know that there are people who actually enjoy these!
i
Honestly, handheld gaming was missing so long from my life before Switch that I forgot how much I loved playing while someone else enjoyed the single household television. :LOL:

No idea, I've kept myself spoiler-free in terms of consequences and I'm kind of just rolling with what I feel is best for House Wollfort independence and our Roselle friends.
Oh then you're probably not there yet. The game makes it very obvious when the routes split for the ending. Given your comment I imagine you'll likely end up on the morality path, though.

I really enjoyed the ending I got, even though the imperfections were glaringly obvious.

Did a little more FFIX this evening. Finished the fall of Burmecia and Dagger reached the summit

Also Yakuza 7 isn’t really grabbing me so thinking of swapping over to Mass effect, I only beat the first one back in the day, it’s been over a decade and I have the trilogy remaster

Also Yakuza 7 isn’t really grabbing me so thinking of swapping over to Mass effect, I only beat the first one back in the day, it’s been over a decade and I have the trilogy remaster

This is an RPG thread so maybe this isn't the best place to talk about Mass Effect 2.

I kid. I kid. If I had to pick one, 2 would probably be my favorite but they really stripped a lot of the RPG elements out of the game. They brought back some combat customization in 3 but then they reduced dialogue options as well. It sucks that Bioware never did make the perfect Mass Effect game. Each one has elements that the others don't have and it never culminated into one game that had everything.

This is an RPG thread so maybe this isn't the best place to talk about Mass Effect 2.

I kid. I kid. If I had to pick one, 2 would probably be my favorite but they really stripped a lot of the RPG elements out of the game. They brought back some combat customization in 3 but then they reduced dialogue options as well. It sucks that Bioware never did make the perfect Mass Effect game. Each one has elements that the others don't have and it never culminated into one game that had everything.
Well to be fair I’m starting with the first which I have fond memories of but it’s been forever. And I’m going FemShep for the fun of it

harvestella is so good what the hell, these early reveiwers stopped at the tutorial lmao.
Huh I really should get back to that game. Left it probably about 2/3 of the way done after burning myself out but yeah it's a ton of fun

I do feel like the reviews are justified in the sense that it's a pretty niche title. Hope it did well enough though, would love a sequel that improves on some areas (like combat and general production values)

Before Skyrim, I think the Elder Scrolls games had dice rolls when you attacked. It made playing through Oblivion frustrating at times. It's one thing giving a command to a character which then plays an animation of them missing an attack but it's another when you are swinging the sword yourself, right in front of an enemy, the sword goes through the enemy model, yet you still miss because of hidden RNG.

Before Skyrim, I think the Elder Scrolls games had dice rolls when you attacked. It made playing through Oblivion frustrating at times. It's one thing giving a command to a character which then plays an animation of them missing an attack but it's another when you are swinging the sword yourself, right in front of an enemy, the sword goes through the enemy model, yet you still miss because of hidden RNG.
I’m pretty sure Deus Ex and Mass Effect do this too?

I’m pretty sure Deus Ex and Mass Effect do this too?

I think so in Deus Ex 1. In the first Mass Effect, I believe your aiming stats determined how big your reticule would bloom during firing. It's been a while but I don't recall an instances where you see a bullet hit an enemy and there was no damage. The "bullet" would be a random location in the reticle and if the enemy is in that portion of the reticle, then damage is taken but if not, then you miss. But it's been a really long time so I maybe mistaken.

Some fallout 1 and 2 memories lol
The action log
"you fired to the radscorpion. Missed"
ad infinitum

100 hrs barrier broke on Dungeon Travelers

By this point all of the dungeons are fully mapped out except for the final one (Dark Cathedral) as I still need to defeat an insanely difficult boss to access the end part of it (where the biggest superboss is...)

I'm enjoying the endgame with all the different bosses available to tackle. They're all so draining and exhausting though lol. Every victory is just like "And.... breathe!"

That said this has been an extremely addicting game and I'm so happy there's 2 more even beefier games waiting for me to play someday (but let's wrap this one up first yeah? :LOL:)

Kiie0Q7.jpeg

God... My heart... was pounding... last superboss down... probably the hardest JRPG boss I ever beat (I'm sure I could have prepared slightly better, but it really feels like you need a very long string of good RNG to win)

7bms0Xq.jpeg

and with that, game completed.

Addicting as hell game. Tons of very fun content (endgame is amazing) and very engaging combat that would have me on the edge of my seat in the late bosses.

I have some negatives but I do hear they've been somewhat addressed in the sequels. One is that you're forced to have a Master Idol in your party always performing the Speed Down dance for the endgame bosses, game is not winnable without this, so that hurts the party variety IMO. I loved the location variety but the 2nd final dungeon "30-Tiered-Tower" was made by Satan and felt every nook and cranny was designed to waste your time in the most asshole-ish ways.

I really liked the soundtrack in the game, and it turns out a lot of it was lifted from other Aquaplus games (only other one I've played is Utawarerumono). This one in particular was in the "Nearby Forest" area, it's a pretty chill bop lol. It is actually from an OG Xbox game Aquaplus made.

So yeah I'm really looking forward to playing DT2 and DT2-2 some time. I hope by the time I'm ready to chow down on another 120 hour DRPG, those two become unbanned on Steam or become available on Switch, as they are currently only being sold on a very awful DRM entrenched store on PC called Johren...

harvestella is so good what the hell, these early reveiwers stopped at the tutorial lmao.
Yup the game is great, sad to see so many people sleeping on it.

Huh I really should get back to that game. Left it probably about 2/3 of the way done after burning myself out but yeah it's a ton of fun

I do feel like the reviews are justified in the sense that it's a pretty niche title. Hope it did well enough though, would love a sequel that improves on some areas (like combat and general production values)
Harvestella is longer than most people think it is, I have seen people thinking there are near the end when they are actually near the middle.

Yup the game is great, sad to see so many people sleeping on it.

Harvestella is longer than most people think it is, I have seen people thinking there are near the end when they are actually near the middle.
Looked up the number of chapters/main dungeons, though yeah my estimate might still be generous

But I totally know what you're talking about there and am past that point (unless there are multiple said points)

Finally got a chance to play more 7 Rebirth, spent most of it doing the field stuff in the Junon region. Next time I get to play I should actually progress the story finally.

Looked up the number of chapters/main dungeons, though yeah my estimate might still be generous

But I totally know what you're talking about there and am past that point (unless there are multiple said points)
We are probably thinking of the same point so your 2/3 estimate is likely to be spot on. If you like good story in RPG I highly recommend you to go back to it one day as the story in the 2nd half of the game is, IMO, amazing.

Heh seeing Harvestella here is really funny because a friend of mine just this minute decided to download and finish the game because of a discussion about Square's AA releases last year.

Glad that these games aren't just completely flying under the radar.

Harvestella is on my ‘pick it up later’ list, along with a couple dozen others :D

Just noticed that SMTV Vengeance coming out a week early on June 14 (presumably so as not to clash with the Elden Rinfg DLC) now also clashes with Monster Hunter Stories on modern consoles. Reckon I’ll pick SMTVV as the new campaign sounds interesting. Would like to revisit MHS later on though.

Just finished Unicorn Overlord, that was great! I liked the pacing that some of the battles are over in a matter of seconds and some much longer, but even the long ones have enough strongholds throughout the map you can use to have your units regroup and break the battle up into more manageable pieces.

Last edited:
Harvestella is on my ‘pick it up later’ list, along with a couple dozen others :D

Just noticed that SMTV Vengeance coming out a week early on June 14 (presumably so as not to clash with the Elden Rinfg DLC) now also clashes with Monster Hunter Stories on modern consoles. Reckon I’ll pick SMTVV as the new campaign sounds interesting. Would like to revisit MHS later on though.

Just finished Unicorn Overlord, that was great! I liked the pacing that some of the battles are over in a matter of seconds and some much longer, but even the long ones have enough strongholds throughout the map you can use to have your units regroup and break the battle up into more manageable pieces.
Harvestella has been on my 'maybe I'll try this eventually' pile since it came out - we'll see!

As much as I'd like to play SMTV:V then, I think I'm going to start a new Elden Ring character a good week or two before the DLC drops so that I'm more or less ready to dive in on launch day. Then, July can be my month for SMT.

Harvestella has been on my 'maybe I'll try this eventually' pile since it came out - we'll see!

As much as I'd like to play SMTV:V then, I think I'm going to start a new Elden Ring character a good week or two before the DLC drops so that I'm more or less ready to dive in on launch day. Then, July can be my month for SMT.
Eiyuden Chronicle is the next big (or, at least, full-price) title I want to pick up, and that’s been delayed to May. Might play through a few indies while I wait! I like to use 2D indies and metroidvania stuff to break up the 50 hour rpg campaigns.

Eiyuden Chronicle is the next big (or, at least, full-price) title I want to pick up, and that’s been delayed to May. Might play through a few indies while I wait! I like to use 2D indies and metroidvania stuff to break up the 50 hour rpg campaigns.
Eiyuden's only delayed for the physical, right? Because I'm in the same boat. I should actually be able to finish my two 80-hour RPGs before that I hope :p

Eiyuden's only delayed for the physical, right? Because I'm in the same boat. I should actually be able to finish my two 80-hour RPGs before that I hope :p
Yeah I think the delay is physical only. But I like collecting rpgs, and am happy to wait :)

I keep an eye on the eshop thread and every week there’s smaller titles that make me go ‘I should play that!’

Packed year for rpgs. Although it’s been a while since it wasn’t a packed year for rpgs at this point.

Back
Top Bottom