• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

Confirmed for the West. I bought the JP version JUST for that soundtrack collection (I don't even like the game lol).

Though it's interesting this is a newer port than Ys Oath but this was confirmed and Oath wasn't... So does Xseed really have "bad blood"?

I finally beat Golden Sun for the first time ever. I played it for a bit back in middle school when the game launched, but never got too far. It took me 26 hours to beat. That's much longer than I expected a GBA RPG to take.

I'm gonna play FF6 Pixel Remaster before playing Gold Sun: The Lost Age.

Loaded up the first Etrian Odyssey and got wiped pretty quickly. Then I dove into the skills tree and I was like, oh man, I'm going to spend so much time in just this aspect alone. And then I got wiped pretty quickly again.
Love it. Can't wait to delve back in tomorrow.

Loaded up the first Etrian Odyssey and got wiped pretty quickly. Then I dove into the skills tree and I was like, oh man, I'm going to spend so much time in just this aspect alone. And then I got wiped pretty quickly again.
Love it. Can't wait to delve back in tomorrow.
Always remember to carry two Ariadne Threads (or whatever the ‘return to base’ item is). I remember the first time I played EO, my party was in bad shape, and I risked clicking on an event, hoping for a heal. Naturally I lost my emergency evac item and then died trying to fight my way back to the entrance :)

I’ve really only played Y:LAD/Yakuza 7 but this seems really good for the franchise for only a few days of sales, right?

Always remember to carry two Ariadne Threads (or whatever the ‘return to base’ item is). I remember the first time I played EO, my party was in bad shape, and I risked clicking on an event, hoping for a heal. Naturally I lost my emergency evac item and then died trying to fight my way back to the entrance :)
Oh, I thought you had to get back to the steps/entrance if you wanted to bail on a run early. This is what I get for not checking out the shops before heading in.

I’ve really only played Y:LAD/Yakuza 7 but this seems really good for the franchise for only a few days of sales, right?

It's the fastest selling game in the series. Y7 sold 1.8 million as of last year, so the fact that it's sold more than half that in a week is incredibly good.

Really shows what happens when you invest in niche series and give them a chance to grow. Glad turn-based RPGs are still selling well, too.

It's the fastest selling game in the series. Y7 sold 1.8 million as of last year, so the fact that it's sold more than half that in a week is incredibly good.

Really shows what happens when you invest in niche series and give them a chance to grow. Glad turn-based RPGs are still selling well, too.
Me too. The last year or so has been fantastic for turn-based RPGs and we’re getting a lot more this year. I’m loving it.

Triangle Strategy is a flavor of tactics I've absolutely craved since the Final Fantasy Tactics series- my favorite S-tier FF variant. 😂 It just feels hyper-focused on the best aspects of the genre, I always look forward to my nightly sessions after work and on my days off!

Played the first 90 minutes of Ara Fell. The plot at the start isn’t particularly compelling, the characters feel very generic and I just lost half an hours progress after getting stuck on some rocks and realising the last auto save was a ton of exploration ago. Think I’m gonna abandon game here and try something else. I was more curious than anything after adoring Stegosoft’s next game, Rise of the Third Power.

Last edited:
And that's a wrap on P4G! It took me several tries to get into it, but this time it really clicked. Still have a fair amount of problems with the game, but I get the appeal of the gameplay now, and the vibe and character interactions (that weren't creepy) were great. I even grew to accept the fact that I wasn't playing SMT! I still prefer that series combat, but this take on it has its perks

Though, wasn't Persona supposed to be the easier series? The middle section of this game was definitely harder than the two SMTs I've played (IV and V, though from what I understand those are easier games in the series). I think part of that is due to the fact that your friends are generally less useful than demons until the late game. Screw friendship, give me fusion eugenics

Anyways, with that done, this January marks the time I finally finished a Final Fantasy (7R) and a Persona. I can finally lose my JRPG fan imposter syndrome

Well no I still don't like Chrono Trigger but maybe I'll give that another go sometime

And that's a wrap on P4G! It took me several tries to get into it, but this time it really clicked. Still have a fair amount of problems with the game, but I get the appeal of the gameplay now, and the vibe and character interactions (that weren't creepy) were great. I even grew to accept the fact that I wasn't playing SMT! I still prefer that series combat, but this take on it has its perks

Though, wasn't Persona supposed to be the easier series? The middle section of this game was definitely harder than the two SMTs I've played (IV and V, though from what I understand those are easier games in the series). I think part of that is due to the fact that your friends are generally less useful than demons until the late game. Screw friendship, give me fusion eugenics

Anyways, with that done, this January marks the time I finally finished a Final Fantasy (7R) and a Persona. I can finally lose my JRPG fan imposter syndrome

Well no I still don't like Chrono Trigger but maybe I'll give that another go sometime
Persona games tend to have a bit of a steep learning curve as you have to make do with less spells and characters at first, but by endgame you're often so overpowered not much can touch you. 4 is especially egregious about this as the first two major story bosses are the hardest ones. 5 and especially 5 Royal are much easier and more generous.

Usually after the first or second dungeon of a Persona game your mc can snowball into a death ball that can't be touched. Most combat consists of the enemy never getting a turn as you hit weaknesses into an all out attack. I say second dungeon as that's usually around when you have most of the social links at 2-3 levels. This will mean all the demon you fuse can start to get pretty decent buffs helping your wild card mc dominate.

Persona games tend to have a bit of a steep learning curve as you have to make do with less spells and characters at first, but by endgame you're often so overpowered not much can touch you. 4 is especially egregious about this as the first two major story bosses are the hardest ones. 5 and especially 5 Royal are much easier and more generous.
Usually after the first or second dungeon of a Persona game your mc can snowball into a death ball that can't be touched. Most combat consists of the enemy never getting a turn as you hit weaknesses into an all out attack. I say second dungeon as that's usually around when you have most of the social links at 2-3 levels. This will mean all the demon you fuse can start to get pretty decent buffs helping your wild card mc dominate.
Hm I was honestly having a fair amount of trouble until the 5th dungeon, but I may have been bad at social links before. Also had to shake my habit of waiting until a Persona/demon gets all their skills until fusing, since without Growth skills that can take forever

As far as buffs I think I'm just used to having more demons with buff skills and more turns to buff things thanks to Press Turn. All Out Attacks also felt pretty weak until mid game?

But yeah by endgame I was pretty much an unstoppable killing machine. Final two dungeons (True Ending Route) were a synch

I started Neptunia Sisters vs Sisters, glad to see the perfomance is better than the last ones. One thing that initially confused me was that I didn't know there were 2 exclusive playable characters for the switch version but the game story still treats them as if they were not with you all the time, so you have some parts like "I'll check this in our base see you later" but the character still fights with you.

Hm I was honestly having a fair amount of trouble until the 5th dungeon, but I may have been bad at social links before. Also had to shake my habit of waiting until a Persona/demon gets all their skills until fusing, since without Growth skills that can take forever

As far as buffs I think I'm just used to having more demons with buff skills and more turns to buff things thanks to Press Turn. All Out Attacks also felt pretty weak until mid game?

But yeah by endgame I was pretty much an unstoppable killing machine. Final two dungeons (True Ending Route) were a synch
How I play Persona games is I basically wait till the deadline and then marathon the dungeon in a single day (or days if there are forced stops like p5). That lets me focus on social stats and links during most of the days. When I'm finally in the dungeon, my new batch of fusions will get a big boost and be ahead of the area's curve.

Started playing Oceanheart, an indie Zelda-like. It’s a shame really, it’s superficially very Zelda, in sword/bow/bombs/keys etc, but it’s also got tons of its own ideas and vibes, from a whole Mediterranean Island section to bustling settlements, original puzzles and interesting sidequests etc. It didn’t need to be quite so ‘Zelda’ in looks I guess it gave it visability?

Finished up Oceanheart. That was a fun Zelda-like that didn’t outstay its welcome, about 8 hours or so. A lot of fun and surprises along the way. My only real issues with it were the extremely flat difficultly curve combined with near unlimited healing items, meant that the only time the game put up anything like a challenge was near the start when you’re low on health and cash and items. That’s then combined with none of the bosses requiring any real thought beyond hacking away at them with your sword.

The game has loads of fun, fantasy ideas and side quests. It’s a real shame that it leans hard on the stuff it’s borrowed and less so on the developer’s own ideas and creativity which I found really engaging.

So I restarted (for the second time this year) Persona 3 Portable because my first run this year wasn't going well at all. I was constantly getting smoked and using items I shouldn't have been using that early in the game. Now I grind up to match a boss' level before I face it, and it has made it much easier so far. Just gotta get back to where I was... and then get back to where I was when I first started in 2023...

This thread and how much I loved Octopath Traveler II made me get Triangle Strategy, and it's been crushing my soul ever since. Every time a vote comes up I dive into farming to upgrade my characters so as to put off the decision that much longer. The last two story battles have seen me claim victory with just a handful of characters remaining; the last one had Hughette as the sole survivor winning by taking potshots and moving.

I'm probably going to dedicate this playthrough to finishing one of the alignment endings and do the true path in NG+. Or maybe I'll do all three alignment endings and then the true path, so that I can keep my enthusiasm to push on, because some of the choices I've had to make have torn at my stomach; this is brutal.

10/10 best tactics game I've played since the Three Houses DLC.

Last edited:
Attention eShop bargain hunters: Both Square-Enix and Sega currently have sales in the eShop. Sega's ends Thursday, S-E's runs until next Tuesday. So if you want your Final Fantasies, SaGas, Manas, Etrians, Megami Tenseis, or Personas on the cheap this is your time.

S-E:

Sega:

EDIT: Forgot to add, this also includes the copious amounts of DLC that come with Atlus games if you've been waiting for any of those to reach a sane price point.

Last edited:
Attention eShop bargain hunters: Both Square-Enix and Sega currently have sales in the eShop. Sega's ends Thursday, S-E's runs until next Tuesday. So if you want your Final Fantasies, SaGas, Manas, Etrians, Megami Tenseis, or Personas on the cheap this is your time.

S-E:

Sega:
Hooooooooly crap those are some good sales!!

Giving a shout-out to the Tokyo RPG Factory trilogy in particular. Those are some great prices for those games if anyone is interested (now that the studio is gone)!

Made a bunch more progress in Triangle Strategy. Hooooly crap the chapter 15 reveals made me stop playing for the day out of sheer shock. This is reminding me of the Let Us Cling Together chapter 3, and it's obvious there's stuff the game is saving for the other routes to reveal.

I'm heading down the morality path, I'm thinking that once I finish I'll do a fast Very Easy NG+ run to get the other recruit on this same path and that hidden item my friend's teasing me about, then a proper NG+ hard run while I do one of the others. Probably do the final path on normal, then the true ending on normal until I get to the ending bits at which point I'll crank the difficulty back up.

EDIT: I will say, the one thing I think the game needs is for promoted units to wear their promoted outfits outside of battle. The new sprites look so great.

Last edited:
I’m over 25 hours in Like A Dragon 8 (forget the exact hour count) and having a great time. Been focusing on the Sujimon game in particular the last two days. It’s like a cross between Pokemon and Pokemon Go, if all the monsters were instead weirdo humans (like a big guy wielding a giant soda bottle as a sword and using a pizza like a shield) and it functioned more like a gacha game (down to the usual elemental weaknesses and feeding dupes to power up your Sujimon). The actual battles are fairly straightforward in that each character has a basic attack and one special ability that is powered by a shared single gauge you charge in battle with each attack. The big gimmick is that you can swap two Sujimon around each turn freely once (from the three people on the left, center, and right of the field and the three on the bench) and positioning on the battlefield helps you avoid attacks and deal the most damage. The storyline has been completely whatever so far at least through the second elite four member (I’m about to take on the third), but leveling up your team and recruiting & pulling new weirdos is a good time. I think perhaps the neatest thing is it is basically an RPG within an RPG as roughly a third of the Sujimon are recruitable so you can be fighting battles in the main story and have a chance to recruit someone for the minigame.

I started replaying Fire Emblem Sacred Stones with the personal skills patch and having now beaten 1/3 of the game, I'm reminded why this game ranks so low on my FE tier list. The games is mostly just boring with fairly uninteresting maps and characters. Half your army is absolutely awful which makes how OP Seth is even more striking.

This thread and how much I loved Octopath Traveler II made me get Triangle Strategy, and it's been crushing my soul ever since. Every time a vote comes up I dive into farming to upgrade my characters so as to put off the decision that much longer. The last two story battles have seen me claim victory with just a handful of characters remaining; the last one had Hughette as the sole survivor winning by taking potshots and moving.

I'm probably going to dedicate this playthrough to finishing one of the alignment endings and do the true path in NG+. Or maybe I'll do all three alignment endings and then the true path, so that I can keep my enthusiasm to push on, because some of the choices I've had to make have torn at my stomach; this is brutal.

10/10 best tactics game I've played since the Three Houses DLC.
You’re a little ahead of me- I hit a straight up wall of an encounter when the Scales of Conviction tipped against my favor- but I echo everything you wrote, honestly interested in what the ‘best path‘ could even be considering how many lovely (and dreadful) twists and turns arise.

10/10 all time tactics banger indeed, Hard mode is my v-i-b-e in this.

What I have left from this generation alone to leap into: Octopath Traveller 1 & 2, Fire Emblem Three Houses, the Pixel Remasters of FF. :love:

Is Eastward an RPG like Earthbound is an RPG?

You’re a little ahead of me- I hit a straight up wall of an encounter when the Scales of Conviction tipped against my favor- but I echo everything you wrote, honestly interested in what the ‘best path‘ could even be considering how many lovely (and dreadful) twists and turns arise.

10/10 all time tactics banger indeed, Hard mode is my v-i-b-e in this.
Just wrapped up the game with the morality ending. That last fight was exquisite. The fights before the finale just mobbed me with speedy cavalry units that were higher level than me, then added some mages and healers as reinforcements. The final battle meanwhile had a boss who could nuke any of your characters with 4 or 5 TP from anywhere on the map. As horrifying as that ability was, it needed to waste turns to get enough TP to cast it and would do other things if you spent yours before its turn. I ended up splurging on buffing items and brought the TP manipulating characters to the fight, and poured a bunch of resources into everyone's survivability upgrades which meant for the first time in a long time I didn't lose anyone.

Going to take a few hours to reset my brain then go back for the next ending and some new characters. Maybe liberty this time?

Is Eastward an RPG like Earthbound is an RPG?
It's sort of a hybrid between Zelda and something like Nuclear Throne. John is a weapon user who needs ammo for his ranged weapons, while Sam is a magic user who uses MP. It's more action adventure game than RPG.

I'm dropping this skills patch of FE8. The tragedy of the situation is the skills are a great addition and help to make the cast feel more unique. The problem is this "vanilla game" patch was clearly not tested well by it's creator (who was more focused on adding a skill system hack you could use as a base for other romhacks) cause the further into the game I get the more issues I see.

• Enemies have weapons they can't use
  • Some enemies (or green npcs) are replaced by bugged 1 hp runes on the ground
  • A fog of war map failed to load the fog
  • The tower of valni freezes the game

Cool concept, I hope someone eventually cleans it up, but for now I'm moving onto something more interesting.

Fire Emblem Project Ember is a essentially a redux version of Binding Blade (roy's game) with a ton of rebalancing and new content added in. If you've played Binding Blade you'll probably remember how most of your units are unsalvageable garbage and even the decent ones can't hit the broad side of the barn yard. Project Ember makes everyone far more accurate, and gives pretty mass buffs to bases for most of the cast. Wolt (your archer) not only reliably doubles, but bows are now 2-3 range so he does a great job setting up kills. Bors has access to Swords which makes him a lot more viable against the early game axe users. Shanna has a prf weapon in the wing spear which helps her get kills despite still having low starting str. Deick comes at level 10 with a heroes crest if you want/need a second early game "pre promote", especially as Marcus feels much better balanced compared to the other GBA Jaigens. He's strong but he's not soloing any chapters on hard mode.

It's still early, but this hack has really grabbed me.

While people are playing the FFVII Rebirth demo, I'm playing through FF VII Remake Intermission. I just encountered the human embodiment of this

Gonna be fun to see people react when we find out how long the new Kinnikuman anime is gonna be. It’s adapting a 208 chapter arc XD.

Finally playing through Octopath 2 and Xenoblade 3 DLC after I took a long, long time to finish TotK and played basically nothing else while I did. Unsurprisingly, everyone who gushed about these games were correct and they’re awesome.

However, playing them both together solidified that I desperately need JRPG developers to add a decrease level option to main stories. I’m just having fun exploring and then all of a sudden I’m 10 levels over where I should be in the campaign.

S-E:

Sega:

EDIT: Forgot to add, this also includes the copious amounts of DLC that come with Atlus games if you've been waiting for any of those to reach a sane price point.
For anyone who love JRPGs, check out Shin Megami Tensei V. I played over 100 hours on this game probably.

I only have Switch, SMT4 wouldn't be available correct? I haven't looked - but if it's available, I'd definitely follow your suggestion!
Unfortunately it's only on 3DS. I'm really hoping it gets a port sometime soon! There were rumors for a while but nothing has come of them yet.

Are there any rumors or findings regarding Monolithsofts supposed new IP? I've been wondering if anyone thinks we could see that game soon since we are entering a new gen.

Just finished up Intermission from Final Fantasy VII Remake. Took me about 5.25 hours and a decent amount of time of that was cutscenes. Overall, I give it a 6/10. A lot of the things I didn't like about Remake are highlighted again here. Very basic, linear level design. Low clarity in combat at times. And the extra characters and stories that Remake is delivering. I didn't really care about Sonon. So little that I forgot his name while typing up this up and I had to look it up even though I literally just beat the game.

Still looks beautiful. Music is of course great. I'm looking forward to the more open world that Rebirth is promising. I think getting to explore around the towns and do sidequests was one of the best parts of Remake. Intermission had some of that, but not really. If you already bought the PS5 version of Remake, then I think it's worth playing. But if you didn't, then I don't really think it's worth the upgrade for just this short adventure alone.

I guess this also qualifies as the firm gave I've beaten this year.

I was going to jump into FFVIII last weekend, but instead I ended up starting Labyrinth of Galleria. The previous game, Labyrinth of Refrain, was a really charming game with a dark, fairy tale-like story and I'm currently digging the sequel. I honestly prefer these Labyrinth games (I don't think it has an official series title, does it?) to NIS' Disgaea series. Here's to hopefully seeing a third game someday in the future.

I was going to jump into FFVIII last weekend, but instead I ended up starting Labyrinth of Galleria. The previous game, Labyrinth of Refrain, was a really charming game with a dark, fairy tale-like story and I'm currently digging the sequel. I honestly prefer these Labyrinth games (I don't think it has an official series title, does it?) to NIS' Disgaea series. Here's to hopefully seeing a third game someday in the future.
Ooh, very nice! I loved Galleria a lot, and it does some really cool stuff. You should keep us up to date with your progress!

Grinding in Tartarus in P3Portable is much more tolerable when listening to music or other things. Almost back to where I was before I restarted my save. It is still feeling much easier now that I've got good personas and my levels match.

Back
Top Bottom