• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic RPGs |ST| Our Home Base For All Role Playing Game Discussions!

This made me laugh yesterday. I feel this regularly lol.

images

I can confirm that leaving Stormveil Castle in Elden Ring and seeing that first view over Liurnia still hits. Looking forward to digging in - it might be my overall favorite zone in the game.

No big post today, but I put another two hours into Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World. Finding the start of the game at least quite tough. Normal fights are fine now, but they throw you against some brutal boss fights right away that are just melting my team. I feel like I’m starting to get a feel for it at least (I’m playing on Manual so it doesn’t auto block) so hopefully it’ll start going more smoothly.

I should be fully finishing Paper Mario TTYD tomorrow as I’m sitting outside the final dungeon, so Symphonia 2 will get most of my focus shortly. I mentioned it in the ST, but the new super boss Prince Mush is awesome and an excellent challenge! That and running the Pit at a lower level than the last time I played it were my favorite parts of my playthrough.

God, back when it felt like it was taking ages for OT2 to release on Xbox and after SE took back publishing ownership of the original game on Switch I so wanted to call OT1 coming to PlayStation as well for those sweet internet "I called it!" points, and well, I cannot pat myself on the back after the fact... but I will be the one to break the news on Fami at the very least!

Octopath Traveler rated for PS5, PS4 in Taiwan alongside Octopath Traveler II for Xbox Series

Dropping on the same day as OT2's Game Pass release maybe? Would be cool.

ALSO TELL YOUR DUMB GAMER FRIENDS WHO STILL HAVEN'T BOUGHT BOTH GAMES TO REPENT AND ATONE FOR THEIR SINS! The games are on everything now so no excuses ;P

I gave up waiting on Eiyuden to be patched and played through the first couple hours. The load times are a few seconds too long for minor battles, but… I have to say I enjoyed it. Combat is a bit simple at the start but the handful of characters you have, it was just nice to have a group who were all friendly and capable as well as quirky. I want to see what happens next, so yeah, fair play to the devs, there’s an intriguing story and good characters and writing here.

I gave up waiting on Eiyuden to be patched and played through the first couple hours. The load times are a few seconds too long for minor battles, but… I have to say I enjoyed it. Combat is a bit simple at the start but the handful of characters you have, it was just nice to have a group who were all friendly and capable as well as quirky. I want to see what happens next, so yeah, fair play to the devs, there’s an intriguing story and good characters and writing here.
Wait I thought it was patched? Like yesterday?

After finishing TTYD I decided to fire up Persona 4 Golden after playing through 5R and 3P recently. I played vanilla P4 in 2013 but it's been a while since then. Gotta say... it's a miracle this game is so popular with how slow the prologue is lol. Just beat Shadow Yosuke and I'm at 2 hours 30 minutes.

I've grown cynical towards some elements of P4 as the years go on but I am hoping to replay it with an open mind and see how I feel about the game now.

After finishing TTYD I decided to fire up Persona 4 Golden after playing through 5R and 3P recently. I played vanilla P4 in 2013 but it's been a while since then. Gotta say... it's a miracle this game is so popular with how slow the prologue is lol. Just beat Shadow Yosuke and I'm at 2 hours 30 minutes.

I've grown cynical towards some elements of P4 as the years go on but I am hoping to replay it with an open mind and see how I feel about the game now.
P4 Golden could really use an update ala P3Reload - and it would make a lot of sense if that's coming down the pipe at some point. Even leaving most of the gameplay the same there are so many opportunities to improve things all over the place.

I finished chapter 2 of Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World. I’m having a good time now! I think I finally got ahead of the leveling curve, I have some good arts for safely attacking, and I’ve gotten a better hang on when to block and use items so fights overall are going much more smoothly. The main three characters have a fun dynamic at this point and I’m enjoying seeing prior Symphonia characters and locations pop up. I especially enjoyed when Colette joined the party for a bit. Emil is better-ish now and there seems to be more going on with him than I initially guessed so I’m curious where that’s heading. Kind of surreal to finally be playing the sequel to one of my favorite RPGs growing up. I’m not 100% on board with everything here (not digging the monster system, some of the villains I don’t care for (Alice :/ ), and the lack of a world map is a bummer), but there’s enough here I’m enjoying that I feel like I really should have played it back in the day. I’m glad I’m playing it now.

Hopefully Square is gonna market the bundle, also why is square marketing team hella mid or non existent? Since the second game sold way less than the first game and that one was a Switch exclusives, maybe Nintendo pushed octopath to be quite successful.

I was doing some organizing in my room and found a copy of Luminous Arc and its sequel (DS games). I remember buying them during the lockdown for like 20$.

I booted up the first one and man that game has some crunchy audio🤣. Also the stylus is needed for battle, which I dont mind but at least give an option.

Hopefully Square is gonna market the bundle, also why is square marketing team hella mid or non existent? Since the second game sold way less than the first game and that one was a Switch exclusives, maybe Nintendo pushed octopath to be quite successful.

Looks like Nintendo's marketing team is hella mid too when both LAL Remake a TriStrat sold (much) less than OT1.

They should give the marketing to PQube for the third game. That way it'd sell way more!

I have so many RPGs on Switch I want to play that choosing one is difficult and then there are other systems that I have RPGs that I want to play and then I don't make a decision and end up not playing anything
I say put them all the options in a roulette, then let the dice roll and do the picking for you. That's what I sometimes do when I'm not nursing a particular craving!

I have so many RPGs on Switch I want to play that choosing one is difficult and then there are other systems that I have RPGs that I want to play and then I don't make a decision and end up not playing anything :(
Sometimes I make a shortlist of ten or so games I want to play that I can think of on the spot and then set an arbitrary deadline of say ten minutes to figure out what I want to play and whatever I’m thinking about last / most I just commit to then. I did that back in April for example and kept chipping away at my initial list and only have five left to play now. I find doing this helps, because picking and starting a game can be the hardest part. Alternately, you always can throw out a couple you are kicking around here and see what people recommend / vote on. Sometimes the discussion that comes from doing that can make you more excited to play something and then you can have fun sharing updates as you play. Hypothetically if they are in your backlog and you do ultimately want to play the them the ultimate order you tackle them in doesn’t matter too much, but if you ever start something and you aren’t feeling you always can swap to something else.

I'm not as huge on Persona as I am on mainline SMT, but I might cave for a Reload-style update for Persona 4. Even better if they can fix issues with the writing... like Kanji's deal...
What was wrong with Kanji? I always thought his storyline was very relatable.
Looks like Nintendo's marketing team is hella mid too when both LAL Remake a TriStrat sold (much) less than OT1.

They should give the marketing to PQube for the third game. That way it'd sell way more!
Nintendo promoted Live A Live and Triangle Strategy through their Directs, numerous videos leading up to release, and pushing the demos. Square Enix on the other hand have just unceremoniously dropped the Octopath games on other systems without a hint they were coming. I don't really see what @Steve has said that prompted you to be so weirdly aggressive here.

Nintendo promoted Live A Live and Triangle Strategy through their Directs, numerous videos leading up to release, and pushing the demos. Square Enix on the other hand have just unceremoniously dropped the Octopath games on other systems without a hint they were coming. I don't really see what @Steve has said that prompted you to be so weirdly aggressive here.
Sorry if I'm tired of the same nonsense every time this topic comes up. Steve can talk for himself by the way. And your comparison is disingenuous when half of his post is this:
Since the second game sold way less than the first game and that one was a Switch exclusives, maybe Nintendo pushed octopath to be quite successful.
Obviously I'm referring to 2's launch, not the bundle. OT2 was marketed by Square Enix through Direct presences and a demo. On the Nintendo side when it comes to gaming enthusiast contact points it had the exact same marketing as LAL.

Wonder what we'll say if (or rather, when) the multiplaform Square Enix-published DQ HD-2D also outsells TriSrat and LAL Remake.

Sorry if I'm tired of the same nonsense every time this topic comes up. Steve can talk for himself by the way. And your comparison is disingenuous when half of his post is this:

Obviously I'm referring to 2's launch, not the bundle. OT2 was marketed by Square Enix through Direct presences and a demo. On the Nintendo side when it comes to gaming enthusiast contact points it had the exact same marketing as LAL.

Wonder what we'll say if (or rather, when) the multiplaform Square Enix-published DQ HD-2D also outsells TriSrat and LAL Remake.
Octopath 2 didn’t have the Same marketing presences that the first game had, the game was in majority of the directs and also talked about in tweets by Nintendo, same goes for social media influencers who talked about it.

I think the problem with the second game marketing is most likely it didn’t have the same presence as the first game had, but that’s my opinion.

Square are notorious of not letting a game be hyped and make it be forgotten fast after the trailers, because they think a trailer is more than enough, but you need is awareness that it’s coming, a good example would be paper Mario remake that was talked about endlessly on social media.

a different example of Square marketing would be how FF7 remake was marketed as a remake of FF7, but instead the game was set in one location and also had a multiverse plot, which probably made people question if they should get rebirth, like they should have marketed the game as a epic trilogy of a beloved classic, instead they just made it seem like it was a full blown remake of the entire game.

Like I have full faith that dragon quest HD remake will be successful, only if square is willing to push the game and constantly talk about it and not release a trailer and call it a day.

Octopath 2 didn’t have the Same marketing presences that the first game had, the game was in majority of the directs and also talked about in tweets by Nintendo, same goes for social media influencers who talked about it.

I think the problem with the second game marketing is most likely it didn’t have the same presence as the first game had, but that’s my opinion.

Square are notorious of not letting a game be hyped and make it be forgotten fast after the trailers, because they think a trailer is more than enough, but you need is awareness that it’s coming, a good example would be paper Mario remake that was talked about endlessly on social media.

a different example of Square marketing would be how FF7 remake was marketed as a remake of FF7, but instead the game was set in one location and also had a multiverse plot, which probably made people question if they should get rebirth, like they should have marketed the game as a epic trilogy of a beloved classic, instead they just made it seem like it was a full blown remake of the entire game.

Like I have full faith that dragon quest HD remake will be successful, only if square is willing to push the game and constantly talk about it and not release a trailer and call it a day.
I'm not saying Nintendo's marketing wasn't instrumental in Octopath (1)'s success, again, I'm saying it's not marketing and/or exclusivity that made 2 sell less. It's simply that the well ran dry. Nintendo marketed TS and LAL and each game sold less and less than its respective HD-2D predecessor. It was always going to happen because the first game massively sold on novelty and new console hype, and SE on top of that overcrowded the artstyle (all three games dropped within 12 months. Three games in 12 months).

Also IMO you're underselling SE's marketing for 2 but do as you wish there. I don't particularly care for that specific conversation.

Edit: also just for funsies but who's telling you guys that an hypothetical Nintendo marketed and published OT2 would have received the same amount of push that 1 did by the way? Because Occam's razor tells us it wouldn't have.

Last edited:
I'm not saying Nintendo's marketing wasn't instrumental in Octopath (1)'s success, again, I'm saying it's not marketing and/or exclusivity that made 2 sell less. It's simply that the well ran dry. Nintendo marketed TS and LAL and each game sold less and less than its respective HD-2D predecessor. It was always going to happen because the first game massively sold on novelty and new console hype, and SE on top of that overcrowded the artstyle (all three games dropped within 12 months. Three games in 12 months).

Also IMO you're underselling SE's marketing for 2 but do as you wish there. I don't particularly care for that specific conversation.
That’s a good point.

But I personally feel Square Marketing isn’t the best.

But at the end that’s my opinion.

My $0.02 on this:

It’s not unusual for sales of a sequel to be lower than the previous game. Plenty of people may have bought OT on the nostalgic graphics hook and discovered it wasn’t to their liking and didn’t bother with the sequel. IIRC, there was a bit of an unstated expectation of a Final Fantasy VI spiritual successor which it very much was not (and that’s ok!).

HD-2D might over saturated at this point.

LAL being a bit of an obscure B-tier S-E title was always going to limit its appeal. It’s also a unique experience and that makes it hard to recommend to anyone who isn’t well invested in the genre to begin with.

Edit: And Triangle Strategy is a tactical RPG which is definitely a bit of a niche market that isn’t going to have as wide an appeal as something more mainstream like OT

Last edited:

We'll say it's no surprise since it's a remake of one of the more popular entries in the Dragon Quest series.

That’s a good point.

But I personally feel Square Marketing isn’t the best.

But at the end that’s my opinion.
To each their own.
my $0.02 on this:

It’s not unusual for sales of a sequel to be lower than the previous game. Plenty of people may have bought OT on the nostalgic graphics hook and discovered it wasn’t to their liking and didn’t bother with the sequel. IIRC, there was a bit of an unstated expectation of a Final Fantasy VI spiritual successor which it very much was not (and that’s ok!).

HD-2D might over saturated at this point.

LAL being a bit of an obscure B-tier S-E title was always going to limit its appeal. It’s also a unique experience and that makes it hard to recommend to anyone who isn’t well invested in the genre to begin with.
Agreed. Like, I don't want to sound dishonest when I bring up TS and LAL and compare them to OT1, but the actual game's appeal is a big part of how well a game can sell. One was an SRPG, the other a quirky remake, and now people know Octopath is not a conventional JRPG either. Its structure is a near death sentence for a lot of genre fans, especially in the mainstream's eyes. Which is also why I bring up DQ, the game has the potential to sell a ton regardless of exclusivity and marketing simply because it comes from a well-established and beloved IP.
We'll say it's no surprise since it's a remake of one of the more popular entries in the Dragon Quest series.
I mean that was my part of my broader discourse I'm sure you'll realize. But it also proves that marketing only tells a part of the story.
This spin of "well it bombed (lol) because it wasn't exclusive" is nonsensical.

Back to the RPG talk I hate how good Genshin's environments look because they're pulling me away from Live A Live (speak of the devil). Wanted to start it after I kind of dropped another game I don't wanna say the name of. (Otherwise I'd be boo-ed off the place. You know one them bona-fide classics. Not an RPG though.)

To each their own.

Agreed. Like, I don't want to sound dishonest when I bring up TS and LAL and compare them to OT1, but the actual game's appeal is a big part of how well a game can sell. One was an SRPG, the other a quirky remake, and now people know Octopath is not a conventional JRPG either. Its structure is a near death sentence for a lot of genre fans, especially in the mainstream's eyes. Which is also why I bring up DQ, the game has the potential to sell a ton regardless of exclusivity and marketing simply because it comes from a well-established and beloved IP.

I mean that was my part of my broader discourse I'm sure you'll realize. But it also proves that marketing only tells a part of the story.
This spin of "well it bombed (lol) because it wasn't exclusive" is nonsensical.
I don't think anyone is currently arguing that Team Asano games have to be exclusive to be successful, they just want SE to give the games some decent advertisement. It wouldn't be so hard to post that the OT games were coming to PS and XB on their social media a few weeks before release and lead up to it with interviews and behind the scenes videos.

I don't think anyone is currently arguing that Team Asano games have to be exclusive to be successful, they just want SE to give the games some decent advertisement. It wouldn't be so hard to post that the OT games were coming to PS and XB on their social media a few weeks before release and lead up to it with interviews and behind the scenes videos.
You might not. Some (i.e. "a part of the ultra-nerds that frolic on vg forums" -> i.e. a dying minority of vg players) absolutely are.

I've said my piece through several posts. You can tell with ease what my argument is so I don't feel the need to go back to whether SE is promoting the bundle adequately or not (which was never a real point of interest in my posts).

Anyhow, of course we all want the games to be as successful as they can be. That's always been the case.

I have so many RPGs on Switch I want to play that choosing one is difficult and then there are other systems that I have RPGs that I want to play and then I don't make a decision and end up not playing anything :(
I get into a choice rut alllll the time. I just plug the names of the games I'm considering into this:

and let the RNG decide

Sometimes I make a shortlist of ten or so games I want to play that I can think of on the spot and then set an arbitrary deadline of say ten minutes to figure out what I want to play and whatever I’m thinking about last / most I just commit to then. I did that back in April for example and kept chipping away at my initial list and only have five left to play now. I find doing this helps, because picking and starting a game can be the hardest part. Alternately, you always can throw out a couple you are kicking around here and see what people recommend / vote on. Sometimes the discussion that comes from doing that can make you more excited to play something and then you can have fun sharing updates as you play. Hypothetically if they are in your backlog and you do ultimately want to play the them the ultimate order you tackle them in doesn’t matter too much, but if you ever start something and you aren’t feeling you always can swap to something else.
I did this and it helped me finally play through TMS. I made a 3-game shortlist and just went from there. I almost always enjoy rpgs once I’m an hour or so in and the systems have clicked and if the first plot beats are interesting- after all, especially with the backlog, I wouldn’t have bought them if they didn’t interest me for some reason. It’s always just starting up and sitting through the opening cut scenes and tutorials that sa barrier for me.

What was wrong with Kanji? I always thought his storyline was very relatable.
Personally, Kanji himself is fine as a character, it's how the game constantly tiptoes around exploring queer themes and ideas only for it to mostly end up in gay panic jokes and scenarios (this is arguably a bigger problem with Naoto). Yosuke's behavior around Kanji, while realistic to an extent (having been a teenager in the 2000s, it isn't hard to see a lot of guys who act like Yosuke around someone who might be gay), also gets repetitive and obnoxious. It's a general issue I have with the game where it ends up reinforcing reactionary social ideas in the name of fitting into society.

What’s weird is they then got even worse with P5 with the ‘hey fellow kids, rebel against tired conformity and sexism! Wait no, not that conformity and sexism, those tropes are fine, conform, conform!’

Leaving it as ‘P4 has issues with how it presents its themes, but then P5 takes that and also gets weirdly hypocritical about it while leaning on the theme of ‘rebellion against conformity.’

I don’t know. I just suspect P4 probably seemed comparatively fresh at the time, which is why so many other games adopted aspects of it and so many players have it as a sort of ‘problematic fave’. But the series just seems so tired now as it stubbornly refuses to learn anything about the issues around young people, growing up and identity that it wants to talk about, and pastes some repetitive old nonsense on top of it instead.

Last edited:
What’s weird is they then got even worse with P5 with the ‘hey fellow kids, rebel against tired conformity and sexism! Wait no, not that conformity and sexism, those tropes are fine, conform, conform!’

Leaving it as ‘P4 has issues with how it presents its themes, but then P5 takes that and also gets weirdly hypocritical about it while leaning on the theme of ‘rebellion against conformity.’

I don’t know. I just suspect P4 probably seemed comparatively fresh at the time, which is why so many other games adopted aspects of it and so many players have it as a sort of ‘problematic fave’. But the series just seems so tired now as it stubbornly refuses to learn anything about the issues around young people, growing up and identity that it wants to talk about, and pastes some repetitive old nonsense on top of it instead.
I think P4 is definitely worse about this than P5 overall. P5 at least attempts to embrace a core theme about changing the world for the better even if it fumbles the delivery. P4's core theme is much more about conformity and sacrificing your unique identity to fit into society as a whole. I don't think anything in P5 is as reactionary as Naoto's storyline - granted, over 15 years ago, awareness about transgender identity and topics was not exactly in a great spot.

Regardless, I still like these games despite the multiple minefields they step on regarding social commentary, but we'll see how I feel after I finish this replay of P4. It will be interesting to see how P6 handles this without Hashino at the helm - Reload has already rewritten some of the more problematic aspects of P3, but at the end of the day these are still otaku fantasy games and all the problems those entail.

I think the most damning analysis I've ever heard about Persona 5 is that it's a game about fighting the system made by people who really like the system.

Persona 4 was the game that made me decide that I was done with Persona games before that. I didn't care about any of those characters by the end.

I think the problem is that the intricacies of the party’s themes and connections etc is only really something that becomes apparent over multiple playthroughs, choosing a different lead and support characters each time. There really isn’t anything particularly deep there.

I often find this with games that expect me to play through several times, something I did a lot when rpgs tended to be shorter (not that Trials is particularly long), when I had more free time but mostly when I thought the first run was particularly engaging. Unfortunately Trials didn’t hit that spot for me. I enjoyed the combat, and enjoyed the game enough to finish my first playthrough, but it was also pretty forgettable in the grand tableau of rpgs on Switch IMO.
Yeah, I seriously don’t see myself play through it multiple times. Which makes the game’s prospects all the less enticing.

I haven't cared for Persona since Persona 3.

That was a seminal game for me, but I quickly outgrew the franchise for reasons that have already been mentioned.

I can’t wait to see what they do with Persona 6. So many improvements and possibilities they could make (and should make) - the Royal content in 5 was done by the new team IIRC so that’s very promising.

After just finishing P3R, it only confirms to me even harder that P5R is the best one in every way, although I can definitely see some of the things that 3 did that make it beloved and if I had played it back in the day I would probably be a lot higher on it.

I like persona 5…actually persona 5 royals, like what is it with Atlus and rereleasing games that improves the base game, by adding extra story content that should have been there at the first place.

Also persona 4 golden biggest issue is probably how boring the dungeons are, it’s something that I’m quite upset wasn’t improved on persona 3 reload, with taurturus.

I can’t wait to see what they do with Persona 6. So many improvements and possibilities they could make (and should make) - the Royal content in 5 was done by the new team IIRC so that’s very promising.

After just finishing P3R, it only confirms to me even harder that P5R is the best one in every way, although I can definitely see some of the things that 3 did that make it beloved and if I had played it back in the day I would probably be a lot higher on it.
I’m just hoping persona 6 leaves the ,,here’s the base game, but we’ll release a new version in 2 years, but you have to play through the entirety of the game to play the extra content that’s the best part‘’.

But I’m quite excited for 6, since it has potential of being one of the best persona game, if the new team that made royal content, since it’s in my opinion the best part of persona 5, also I’m hopeful that the dungeon will be extremely unique and fun to go around, depending what the set pieces will be.

Persona 5 Royal's a top ten game for me. Transformative. Love it to pieces. I probably tack on more asterisks to that assessment than I do with any other game in that sphere save for Xenogears, but so it goes.

You can't go wrong with anything from 2 onward, though. All good to great.

I’m getting a bit annoyed with Eiyuden. Had my first crash in a cut scene, after half an hour of play with no save points, that was full of cut scenes and new mechanics. Not only that, but it introduced two new mechanics, one of which was duels and the other was war battles. Both lacked any kind of clear explanation, and seem very undercooked and random in the case of the former and basic in the case of the latter, when compared to Suikoden. Not only that but the boss gimmicks are exactly that, if you took them out of the boss fight it would change little.

Don’t get me wrong, I like the characters, the main turn-based battles and the world. But these other combat elements seem really underbaked and shallow in comparison. And as for save points, if you have multiple lengthy sections theres no real reason to not at least have an autosave in there somewhere, especially in sections where it’s all scripted anyway. What’s worse is these are sections with fixed outcomes but I can’t hit a ‘skip’ button. Tedious.

What’s worse is these are sections with fixed outcomes but I can’t hit a ‘skip’ button. Tedious.

Have you tried pressing pause and then holding circle (or its platform-specific stand-in)?

Edited to add, I can't actually recall offhand whether you need to press pause before trying. I just remember there's definitely a button, at least on PC, that lets you skip most scenes.

Last edited:
Have you tried pressing pause and then holding circle (or its platform-specific stand-in)?

Edited to add, I can't actually recall offhand whether you need to press pause before trying. I just remember there's definitely a button, at least on PC, that lets you skip most scenes.
Yeah that lets me skip cut scenes, but you can’t skip war battles, which I kinda object to when they are a fixed outcome. I can control units but they can only go forwards and backwards? What’s the point of a ‘hold the line’ objective when it’s a scripted enemy loss you have no control over. And why do the command units all just look like red knights regardless of what the characters are. It just feels pasted on.

Yeah that lets me skip cut scenes, but you can’t skip war battles, which I kinda object to when they are a fixed outcome. I can control units but they can only go forwards and backwards? What’s the point of a ‘hold the line’ objective when it’s a scripted enemy loss you have no control over. And why do the command units all just look like red knights regardless of what the characters are. It just feels pasted on.
The large strategy battles feel so underbaked. Which wouldn’t be too bad if they weren’t also so sloooow. Seriously why can you not skip anything about them, or at least speed them up?

Back
Top Bottom