• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Red Dead Redemption coming to Switch and PS4 on August 17, physical version on October 13

I really feel like Red Dead Redemption was originally a Switch exclusive. Because Playstation only got it on PS4 and not PS5. If I remember correctly, The PS4 resolution is 1080p and 30 FPS, which is the same of that of the Switch version TV mode. Only PS4 Pro and PS5 BC gets it on 4K, but still 30 FPS.

Besides, Nintendo themselves got their own trailer, but Playstation is exactly the same of that on Rockstars YT account.

E: Would also explain why there isn't a PC version, I think.

I really feel like Red Dead Redemption was originally a Switch exclusive. Because Playstation only got it on PS4 and not PS5. If I remember correctly, The PS4 resolution is 1080p and 30 FPS, which is the same of that of the Switch version TV mode. Only PS4 Pro and PS5 BC gets it on 4K, but still 30 FPS.

Besides, Nintendo themselves got their own trailer, but Playstation is exactly the same of that on Rockstars YT account.

This, or Rockstar decided to make low efforts to "remaster", so that would explain why no P5/XSX/PC versions, it's more easier to put in Switch and PS4.

you-dont-say-f589ee1c4e.jpg

This was exactly what I thought. All the main focus on Nintendo, and also the hype with which Nintendo embraced the announcement. The Nintendo tweets were enthusiastic, and the game was up in most of Nintendo website frontlines seconds after the announcement.

Between this and Reggie's words, it makes me think Nintendo truly likes red dead redemption and they were looking forward to have it on their console.

Hmmm… It’s quite amusing, pathetic, and tragic watching the performance of the gaming community online, and let’s be real… It is a performance. I remember when RDR2 released with detailed crunch culture stories, and you had many people saying they would take more games which didn’t prioritise “visual fidelity” crap and chase more photorealistic graphics so that developers wouldn’t suffer from crunch culture. I’ve always been of the belief that it isn’t, and shouldn’t be the priority of developers to chase such graphics and push every game to a system’s limits - RDR1, a HD title from 2010, gets a re-release, and they get all the barrels from the same people. So, the community was all talk, and not really about it, after all? That’s lamentable, but not a surprise. It doesn’t need a significant visual update. It looked fine then, and it still does now. The entitlement is unreal, and I will never understand this.

Also, let’s just consider that resources spent on remaking it in the sequel’s engine would’ve likely meant no resources available for a Switch version at all, in any capacity. Rather have a Switch version than waste resources elsewhere on visual updates that were never needed, tbqh.

Last edited:
Hmmm… It’s quite amusing, pathetic, and tragic watching the performance of the gaming community online, and let’s be real… It is a performance. I remember when RDR2 released with detailed crunch culture stories, and you have many people saying they would take more games which didn’t prioritise “visual fidelity” crap and chase more photorealistic graphics so that developers wouldn’t suffer from crunch culture. I’ve always been of the belief that it isn’t, and shouldn’t be the priority of developers to chase such graphics and push every game to a system’s limits - RDR1, a HD title from 2010, gets a re-release, and they get all the barrels from the same people. So, the community was all talk, and not really about it, after all? That’s lamentable, but not a surprise. It doesn’t need a significant visual update. It looked fine then, and it still does now. The entitlement is unreal, and I will never understand this.

Also, let’s just consider that resources spent on remaking it in the sequel’s engine would’ve likely meant no resources available for a Switch version at all, in any capacity. Rather have a Switch version than waste resources elsewhere on visual updates that were never needed, tbqh.
Most people have never developed a game in their life so entitlement is no surprise. I wish more devs did in-depth behind-the-scenes documentaries about the process to educate people on just how long it takes to make a game—even a port takes at least several months of effort minimum.

But yeah personally, I tend to avoid studios that are known to crunch their games. I already feel terrible knowing so much outsourced shit is made under extremely unethical circumstances... I dread the day where I'll have to boycott some of my favorite gaming companies as well.

It's fine to be annoyed at how "performative" online backlash can be but it's kind of sad just how far in the other direction this thread is going. A lot of backlash I see online is absolutely because it's $50 for a port with very little done to it, which is an absolutely fair criticism, not because it's a remaster or because "who asked for this on Switch". I have no doubt those complaints exist on the internet ... but they're not really being said here so why is it taking up most of the thread? Honestly it just seems performative in the other direction. Criticizing games is fine, and honestly being disappointed it isn't a remake is fine too (provided you don't go too far).

Personally I'd be hyped for this at ~$30 but $50 is crazy in such a stacked year.

Exactly. And Switch is no stranger to overpriced games, including Nintendo's own. Switch owners are not vocally against games being more expensive, both Resident Evil games (which were $10 more expensive than other versions) and Etrian Odyssey trilogy met with no backlash and charted pretty well (EO1 alone charted at number 12 on eShop)

This being a $50 release is a problem on PS, where they go into much deeper discounts compared to eShop.

My guess is this was a part of Nintendo's initial request of RDR2 on Switch, like both games as a pack. RDR1 was not easy to port game, but apparently Nintendo didn't mind rockstar porting the build to PS4 too.

Hmm....I think you're onto something here 🤔

Nintendo getting an exclusive trailer makes me think Take Two expecting 8 billion next time means GTA 6 is a Switch exclusive. Anyone else with me? I think Nintendo taking down the barrier to $70 games made Take Two care about the platform finally!

This was exactly what I thought. All the main focus on Nintendo, and also the hype with which Nintendo embraced the announcement. The Nintendo tweets were enthusiastic, and the game was up in most of Nintendo website frontlines seconds after the announcement.

Between this and Reggie's words, it makes me think Nintendo truly likes red dead redemption and they were looking forward to have it on their console.
Yup, I posted several times in another topic about what Reggie said, that they really wanted RDR2 on Switch, but due to timing it didn't happen. Now they do have a RDR on their platform, and in my eyes, the best start, since if the possibility of having the "Switch 2" be announced for next year, I can they want to have RDR2 on their launch window.

I also saw more appreciating comments on Nintendo's YT trailer, then on Rockstar's trailer, which feels like to me it's gonna sell well on Switch.

Nintendo getting an exclusive trailer makes me think Take Two expecting 8 billion next time means GTA 6 is a Switch exclusive. Anyone else with me? I think Nintendo taking down the barrier to $70 games made Take Two care about the platform finally!
I get that you're joking but I think Take Two was kind of forced to care about the platform finally which is why we are finally seeing GTA and Red Dead even if it's not yet to the capacity of other platforms. Shareholders like to see growth and it doesn't really look great for T2 to ignore the console with by far the biggest install base and a potentially sizeable new revenue stream.

I get that you're joking but I think Take Two was kind of forced to care about the platform finally which is why we are finally seeing GTA and Red Dead even if it's not yet to the capacity of other platforms. Shareholders like to see growth and it doesn't really look great for T2 to ignore the console with by far the biggest install base and a potentially sizeable new revenue stream.
Somebody should tell this to the EA shareholders.

£40 feels a little pricey compared to other highly regarded PS3-era games on Switch like Dragons Dogma (£25) or even Dark Souls remastered (£35), but I expect it’ll be discounted here soon enough. Still, interesting to see it out of the blue at such short notice and so late in the Switch’s lifespan.

What the heck does this even mean lmao
I think it means that there’s a lot of expensive Switch games and customers still buy them, so they can get away with it. It’s just that they cant actually say that to the press when challenged on the price.

File size is on the eShop now, 11.2gb. For reference it seems the original PS3 release was 8.5gb and the original Xbox 360 version was 6.3gb, not including Undead nightmare which was around 2gb on both platforms.

Can I show these peeps my dedication for CJ for Smash? Got this as a present from friends as my birthday gift this year:p

This man is DEDICATED :ROFLMAO: Damn dude!

I'm rooting for you, but honestly... the visual of Carl Johnson dumping an entire mag into King Dedede's bussy might be something Nintendo (and the world at large) aren't quite ready for yet. We need to do some growth before we can get to that point.

This man is DEDICATED :ROFLMAO: Damn dude!

I'm rooting for you, but honestly... the visual of Carl Johnson dumping an entire mag into King Dedede's bussy might be something Nintendo (and the world at large) aren't quite ready for yet. We need to do some growth before we can get to that point.
Well, Snake having handgrenates and Joker having a gun, I can totally something made for CJ. I'm ready for it however! xD

Anyway, back ontopic-ish, if RDR1 was supposed to be a Switch exclusive, I can see RDR2 coming aswell, perhaps on the Switch successor, but Arthur and John coming to Smash aswell. Really depends if Nintendo is more of a fan of RDR than GTA.

I do also want to mention that a PS4 version was probably made for the achievements/trophysystem PlayStation has to properly use that, in which Switch doesn't have that. The GTA Switch version did have achievements, but that was ingame only, and you couldn't see them anymore after you had unlocked them.

The icon:
10387.png

Ugh. Switch icons without the game title on it should be illegal. Don't they know the game name is only visible when the cursor is on the icon?

I wonder if the physical release has a download, tho. GTA and LA Noire did, but if RDR1 has no extra download, something tells me Nintendo did have a part in this remaster.:unsure:

Quoted by: SiG
I wonder if the physical release has a download, tho. GTA and LA Noire did, but if RDR1 has no extra download, something tells me Nintendo did have a part in this remaster.:unsure:
If they're subsidizing for 32GB cards, I could see that.

What's the official install size of the game on Switch?

If the game is under 12GB, they can fit it on a 16GB card. So there shouldn't be any download. I can see Nintendo doing distribution again after GTA's success

This, or Rockstar decided to make low efforts to "remaster", so that would explain why no P5/XSX/PC versions, it's more easier to put in Switch and PS4.
The promo materials are Switch centric. It does feel like it's mostly for Switch and Nintendo was fine it going to PS4 as well for extra $$$ for their partner.

As I mentioned previously when this got announced, this reinforces my view Nintendo has a strong preference against late ports releasing on their consoles alone, they rather Switch be included as part of a remaster batch, or in this case, a late re-release of a long out of print game on the two biggest consoles in the market.

I think their experiences receiving late ports on Wii U shaped that strategy

If this game was getting a more complete Remaster it wouldn't be coming to Switch I suspect, so I'll take it. A bit overpriced yes, but we live in an era where games are all over the place and the first RDR is pretty damn high quality and if the port is good, it's still a huge get on Switch.

$40 would have been more acceptable on Switch given what it is bringing and 1080p/30 FPS if it holds around there is what to expect on Switch.

$50 for that on PS4 is absolutely highway robbery and a low effort port.

If this game was getting a more complete Remaster it wouldn't be coming to Switch I suspect, so I'll take it. A bit overpriced yes, but we live in an era where games are all over the place and the first RDR is pretty damn high quality and if the port is good, it's still a huge get on Switch.

$40 would have been more acceptable on Switch given what it is bringing and 1080p/30 FPS if it holds around there is what to expect on Switch.

$50 for that on PS4 is absolutely highway robbery and a low effort port.
I never owned a PS3 nor an XB360, and have never played this game (similar case with the Arkham Trilogy). I think I will get it on Switch.

I never owned a PS3 nor an XB360, and have never played this game (similar case with the Arkham Trilogy). I think I will get it on Switch.

It’s an incredible game, last time I played it must have been 2011 before I sold the game.

I will definitely buy it digital

Quoted by: SiG
I played the second one on ps4 but, due to the deafening noise, I limited myself to the story mode.
I will definitely pick up the first chapter to play comfortably anywhere. The price might be a bit high, but I admit that if the port is done well, it might be ok.
I'm still waiting for the first review.

The "Presenta" had me check Spanish language retailers and Amazon Mexico has the game listed under Nintendo so I'm leaning towards them being the distributor again. Obviously, we'll have to wait to see the final release to confirm, but Amazon MX has correctly sorted GTA Trilogy (among other titled) as Nintendo-distributed while L.A. Noire was distributed by Rockstar themselves. Anyone expecting deep discounts relatively soon might be setting themselves up for disappointment, barring retailer specific sales.

The "Presenta" had me check Spanish language retailers and Amazon Mexico has the game listed under Nintendo so I'm leaning towards them being the distributor again. Obviously, we'll have to wait to see the final release to confirm, but Amazon MX has correctly sorted GTA Trilogy (among other titled) as Nintendo-distributed while L.A. Noire was distributed by Rockstar themselves. Anyone expecting deep discounts relatively soon might be setting themselves up for disappointment, barring retailer specific sales.
it seems that only physical is going to be published on switch, is the only platform with physical listings on europe and america

Thanks for the info, is interesting to know that Nintendo is approaching rockstar as a partner in the same way that they approached Mojang and Minecraft

Im sure we probably see on Switch 2 more rockstar games

Last edited:
it seems that only physical is going to be published on switch, is the only platform with physical listings

Thanks for the info, is interesting to know that Nintendo is approaching rockstar as a partner in the same way that they approached Mojang and Minecraft

Im sure we probably see on Switch 2 more rockstar games
It wasn't highlighted in the Take Two / BC thread, but at the end of the interview with IGN was this

But I did ask him if Take-Two would be an early supporter of a new Nintendo system as they were with the Nintendo Switch, to which he replied, "almost certainly."

Whether this culminates in GTA6 or not, I don't know, but I don't think Rockstar skips Switch (2) with any legacy content they revisit. To me, this feels analogous to Nintendo distributing Zenimax titles in the early years of the Switch and then getting things like Doom Eternal, OG DOOM, Quake, etc. I expect to see RDR2, GTAIV, etc.

It’s an incredible game, last time I played it must have been 2011 before I sold the game.

I will definitely buy it digital
There are so many titles I missed in the so-called "PS360 era" that I am discovering on Switch.

The only people who seem to hate these ports are Sony fans who hate the prospect of Nintendo-only owners finally getting their hands on top-end 3rd party titles (like The Witcher 3), abeit last-gen (like L.A. Noire and Portal 1 & 2). Such people also say there's no reason to own a Switch.

It wasn't highlighted in the Take Two / BC thread, but at the end of the interview with IGN was this

But I did ask him if Take-Two would be an early supporter of a new Nintendo system as they were with the Nintendo Switch, to which he replied, "almost certainly."

Whether this culminates in GTA6 or not, I don't know, but I don't think Rockstar skips Switch (2) with any legacy content they revisit. To me, this feels analogous to Nintendo distributing Zenimax titles in the early years of the Switch and then getting things like Doom Eternal, OG DOOM, Quake, etc. I expect to see RDR2, GTAIV, etc.
Yeah, is like the zenimax or the mojang relationship

Back
Top Bottom