• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Red Dead Redemption coming to Switch and PS4 on August 17, physical version on October 13

...the well-executed state of the game? I don't understand. This seems like a really good port. Performance patches aren't completely impossible.
it's not that it isn't well executed it's that it wasn't 60fps in the first place. it's just a bare-ass port. that's fine, but asking for a patch when they could have made it 60fps from the start feels like missing the original intent. maybe Rockstar will have it patched, but there's no value doing it late when it costs them nothing to do it before. the fact there's no port for Xbox as well shows how low on the totem pole they see this release too.

it's not that it isn't well executed it's that it wasn't 60fps in the first place. it's just a bare-ass port. that's fine, but asking for a patch when they could have made it 60fps from the start feels like missing the original intent. maybe Rockstar will have it patched, but there's no value doing it late when it costs them nothing to do it before. the fact there's no port for Xbox as well shows how low on the totem pole they see this release too.
It is on Xbox. It has been for years. The intent was getting it on other platforms besides Xbox.

It is on Xbox. It has been for years. The intent was getting it on other platforms besides Xbox.
yea, but it's also now lacking the benefits that the PS4 version got in anti-aliasing. it's arguably worse than the Switch depending on what you play on. and, of course, no PC version for some inexplicable reason. it's just a low cost port from T2. expecting much more than what we got might just be hoping for much. again, they could patch it, but that would imply they cared to do more to begin with

it's just a low cost port from T2
I’m really not so sure about that. Could’ve they done more? Maybe. But RDR is a notoriously hard port, for years people believed it would never be ported because the code is an incredibly complicated mess and the whole game is basically held by scotch tape. A lot of discussions about a RDR port basically deemed it too costly for Rockstar to bother.

Last edited:
apart from the polycount and the animations, they improved every single aspect in this version, compared to the PS3 original game. surely a way different job, compared to the GTA Trilogy.

apart from the polycount and the animations, they improved every single aspect in this version, compared to the PS3 original game. surely a way different job, compared to the GTA Trilogy.

Yeah, different approach with a different studio, combined with high-profile support (from Rebellion North), while not having to meet a deadline to meet an anniversary can do wonders... (y)

Excellent release, especially for those new to the game.

Quoted by: SiG
Probably, the game will be in the cart :

81YImpJ7XdL._SL1500_.jpg

Everyone in my youtube sub box Is saying how this was a bad port and to not buy the game lol, it's actually insane
Yeah me too. I bet most of them (also in their comments) are still buying the game. This goes of for the fact that I also read replies about many people not having played the game when it originally came out. So now they have a new chance to finally play it, why spread hate on the game that they never played on. They probably act tough tho. See how well the GTA Trilogy remaster did, even on Switch, even if it was a disaster on all platforms.. It also shows and proves RDR does run well on Switch and PS4, and has a glow-up, and has almost no problems as GTA did. Even the comment section of Nintendo's announcement trailer was pretty happy to finally play the game.

So yeah, it's just trash talking to act tough, but in the end they will buy the game nonetheless and won't admit that. That's my take about it. I will buy the game, but wait for physical and try to get a nice discount on Black Friday nonetheless.

The whole thing got fired up due to certain ''News/Leaks'' accounts on Twitter saying it was gonna be a remake/bigger remaster with references towards Arthur Morgan of RDR2. Those same accounts are now saying different things everyday, from ''What a lousy port'' to things like ''You know, it ain't that bad, the game is still beautifull to this day'' and back to ''It should have been a remake!''. I hate those accounts in general, since they really hype up folk with clickbaity things they think might happen, but eventually blame the devs (who said nothing about anything) for ''breaking their hearts''.

Yeah, different approach with a different studio, combined with high-profile support (from Rebellion North), while not having to meet a deadline to meet an anniversary can do wonders... (y)

Excellent release, especially for those new to the game.
Yep.

Glad I ordered it along with Arkham Trilogy.
Someone was quite pessimistic by saying the port will be based on the PS3 version. Seems it was never the case at all.

Had this on PS3, but never finished it. Sounds like the Switch port is pretty impressive, so I'm considering it.

Been playing a lot of RDR tonight and in retrospect, it’s kinda funny how Rockstar never got really criticized for sticking to a formula. Ubisoft get a lot of shit for it, but all Rockstar open world games from GTA III to GTA V are very similar, down to the writing. It’s a better formula, of course, and RDR is still very fun today, but having played the three PS2 GTA and now this in a span of the year, it starts to feel a bit repetitive.

Well, I don't think anyone was really criticizing Ubisoft for it back then either. In 2013 (when GTAV released) Assassin's Creed was only at Black Flag, Far Cry 3 was the latest in that series, Watch Dogs 1 hadn't even come out yet. It was in the decade since then they've really milked that formula and adapted all their games to be like it.

If one wants to understand why this was an herculean effort by Double Eleven and Rebellion North:

"Rockstar released another big open world game called Red Dead Redemption. And while game was amazing for the time it was also the game where issues with RAGE peaked. From the players side issues were most obvious on PS3 version of the game where game could go below 20FPS. Xbox 360 version was more stable but not without issues. But that was nothing compared to things that were happening behind the scenes. According to some sources and files from Benzies/Houser lawsuit development of RDR was hell. Game was developed on separate version of the RAGE from all other games and with almost no documentation. That is one of the most common reasons used for justifying lack of RDR Remastered. Apparently code for that game was so bad that people would often say that it is held by duct tape. But game did look great., with stunning visuals and audio."

From an old ResetEra-thread on the RAGE engine.

More often than not it's not just a couple of lines in need of adjustment to make games run well on other platforms.

Handheld footage looks really nice.

I wish people who have the game digitally on Switch here in Famiboards could give us more performance impressions.

OLED Switch owner here: game runs and looks better than the original

Last edited:
I wish people who have the game digitally on Switch here in Famiboards could give us more performance impressions.
Game itself is amazing. Still the same great that it was a decade ago. Port is as solid as it gets really, native res, upgraded textures, draw distance, increased foliage density. Only thing I would even could remotely "criticize" is the rather average increase in shadow quality. On top of all that, it runs as smoothly as it could with really good load times.

I only played long enough to meet Bill, but I was impressed in that short time! It feels incredibly solid for such a big game from that era.

I've played up to Mexico so far in handheld mode and it's been a near flawless experience for me. Game is installed all internally just incase, because I know some big open world games have issues otherwise. Controls feel great and solid even with the joycons, gun fights don't even dip the framerate nor do explosions it's amazing! I will say sometimes in places like Theives Landing when moving too fast on a horse, the framerate can dip a bit, but it's never so bad you'll notice it heavily. Over all I'm extremely satisfied with this port and I really hope they port GTA 4 over next!

Very impressed with the port on my OLED. The way some YouTubers post you would think this is a Tales of Symphonia tier disaster. I'm definitely double dipping on the physical!

I never used this on PS3 or Xbox Series X but what is the cheats menu for? Actual cheats like old GTA?

Very impressed with the port on my OLED. The way some YouTubers post you would think this is a Tales of Symphonia tier disaster. I'm definitely double dipping on the physical!

I never used this on PS3 or Xbox Series X but what is the cheats menu for? Actual cheats like old GTA?
Yeah that's pretty much what they are, activate them and it'll disable acheivements and auto save though. In the original when you connected to Rockstar's Social Club, they'd give you those cheat codes, but now they're given out automatically instead. There's more that you can unlock by either searching for em online, or by finding them written on walls or newspapers in game. You type them in on the cheat menu rather than through button presses however, unlike GTA.

And the question now becomes how will this sell.
Obviously very well. In the top 10 on eshop and moving up. Nintendo is giving it some love in the advertising space on eshop as well.

Massive IP, massive install base... will be a small evergreen of sorts for the rest of Switch's lifecycle.

Obviously very well. In the top 10 on eshop and moving up. Nintendo is giving it some love in the advertising space on eshop as well.

Massive IP, massive install base... will be a small evergreen of sorts for the rest of Switch's lifecycle.

Really hope it sells well enough for Rockstar to perhaps add future games on Switch 2 and later hybrids

Yeah that's pretty much what they are, activate them and it'll disable acheivements and auto save though. In the original when you connected to Rockstar's Social Club, they'd give you those cheat codes, but now they're given out automatically instead. There's more that you can unlock by either searching for em online, or by finding them written on walls or newspapers in game. You type them in on the cheat menu rather than through button presses however, unlike GTA.
Thanks. Will do for 2nd playthrough!

I'm about 13 years late to the party, but this thing is absolutely fantastic.

In many ways, it's just "GTA, but in the wild west". But that's exactly why it's so awesome.

Really hope it sells well enough for Rockstar to perhaps add future games on Switch 2 and later hybrids
You probably won't wait that long. If they managed to "untangle" RDR and port it to modern machines, they'll most certainly do the same for GTA4 too. Maybe very soon. Midnight Club Los Angeles was also rumored, I'm guessing all of their gen 7 lineup will be available for modern consoles.

You probably won't wait that long. If they managed to "untangle" RDR and port it to modern machines, they'll most certainly do the same for GTA4 too. Maybe very soon. Midnight Club Los Angeles was also rumored, I'm guessing all of their gen 7 lineup will be available for modern consoles.
Would love most of their older games including table tennis but GTA 4 is so awful. I will never touch that again.

1080p docked, 720p handheld.

Switch has similar FXAA to PS4, but falls short of FSR2 as expected.

Will watch more later after work.

it's good there's some AA solution, i was worried there would be none when it was mentioned AA wasn't an option in the menus.

Picked this up today and yeah the port seems quite solid. Honestly, if you asked me in 2016 what games I would be playing on the new Nintendo system Red Dead Redemption would not have sprung to mind. Seeing the game on the handheld screen brings back some of that early Switch magic feeling.

A bit of a miracle port if I’m being honest, not because it couldn’t run but because the Switch has been so successful that Rockstar (and lets be real, Take-Two) see a viable audience worth supporting. I look forward to GTA IV and RDR 2 once Switch Two rolls around.

Yeah I really hope GTA IV comes sooner than later. I really don’t even care if it’s a near 1:1 transfer like this was. I just want to mess around in that sandbox in not-NYC.

I do wonder when it would come though. If GTA6 truly is coming before March 2025, and this GTA IV port would presumably come to the PlayStation ecosystem as well, I don’t know where they’d place it except after 6. Which would be well after, I assume. I figure 2024 is tricky because they wouldn’t place it too close to 6.

I'm on break from work, and thus on mobile. But RDR2 is rated for Switch in Brazil. If anyone could make a dedicated topic for it😅

Just got my copy on Switch. Played a few hours, and my impressions are great so far!

No hitches or any performance drops to speak off. Draw distance is pretty good given the amount of detail visible. Image quality is also superb, running at 1080p, from what I could tell.

I dunno. For a "bare ass port", it definitely shows a ton more polish than a majority of Switch games out on the market right now, most of which are also ports.

If this was "bare ass", then this should be what a baseline Switch port should be like. No hitches are reasons on why it should perform poorly on the Tegra hardware, contains all DLC, and most of all, all of the games and DLC are included in the cart. You could see a lot of titles compromising on one or the other, but Red Dead Redemption on Switch looks and performs so well that I do feel the price is rather justified considering how "clean" the port is (no major glitches to speak off... although there was that one bug where I picked up a new wanted poster and the folding animation played while the poster was in the wall, and John Morrison got stuck in place unable to move). You'd usually notice if games have a presentation artifact or two, but everything about this game is seemless.

Just got my copy. The physical Switch version is printed/published/distributed by Nintendo (and its local dealer) in Mexico.

I was really surprised by this. I don't know if that's the case in US/Europe, but it would explain why there is no physical PS4 release here (at least not yet).

Just got my copy. The physical Switch version is printed/published/distributed by Nintendo (and its local dealer) in Mexico.

I was really surprised by this. I don't know if that's the case in US/Europe, but it would explain why there is no physical PS4 release here (at least not yet).
In europe is the same, like Minecraft or GTA trilogy

Is all the content on the cart? Sorry if it's been asked.

Got my copy. I'm not all that happy with version 1.0 on the game card.

Quoted by: SiG
Is all the content on the cart? Sorry if it's been asked.
As I've already answered, yes! The entire game and DLC are all in the cart. Bare in mind several patches have been released.
Got my copy. I'm not all that happy with version 1.0 on the game card.
Not that big a deal considering the entire game and DLC is on the game card. The game is essentially feature complete from the get go, with patches being the only thing needing to be downloaded.

So, I'm a bit confused at this game. It seems very, very boring. Maybe I have gotten accustomed to some sort of guidance, but there seems to be no direction on what to do and where to go? "Am I stupid?"

I have purchased the retail version of this game. It’s new and not a second hand but I can’t get the golden points. I’m in Italy and the game is Italian version. It says that the points are not available at the moment. Any one experienced my situation?

Back
Top Bottom