• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

News Red Dead Redemption coming to Switch and PS4 on August 17, physical version on October 13

RDR was the first open-world game that truly captured me. Prior to RDR, all open-world games just felt aimless and left me wanting direction. I lost countless hours in my college career exploring the desert.

I will likely pick this up when it goes on sale and I am looking forward to recapturing the feeling it instilled in me.

Attacking other websites without merit is not welcomed here. For a history of similar behavior, you are being given a three day site ban. -xghost777, Josh5890, Barely Able
Switch gets 3rdP port which skipped past Nintendo platforms: “Already played it years ago”, Spoils Game, “Runs better on PS/XBox (Never PC ☕😏)”, “Will it even run?”, “30FPS”

Switch gets 3rdP port of game those motherfuckers tell us they’ve played AND it doesn’t come to their latest preferred platform: “What is this trash and why isn’t it on PS5/XS!?”

Every announcement, Mate!! I’m especially looking forward to people seeing what high-budget PS360 games actually looked like, without their nostalgia-tinted specs, and walking back past comments that Nintendo hasn’t made anything which surpasses that. But Yeah, It’s so transparent. 💕✨
the purple site fuming over this is very funny but honestly this should have happened years ago. the moment the switch revealed itself to be a phenomenon every major pub should have hired a porting house to put all their ps360 catalog on the switch. a jobs program for devs if you will. so instead of going "why is it on switch?" the question should be "why was it not on switch?"

Vacant first party months being filled by late port third party games?
Sniff
It’s beautiful.

This looks cool but not 50 dollars cool

Hopefully it doesn't get screwed up like the GTA ports

I see everyone complaining about the price but that won't be a problem for us Switch folks, right? Because we put Etrian Odyssey games (first one) which were straight up highway robbery, on eShop #12 spot. And not as the collection which had a discount. No, just the first game at $40.

Seeing a lot of hot takes about this online already but can't tell which one is more ridiculous. That the Switch can't run this game or that they were surprised Nintendo allowed this game on the Switch since it's rated M and Nintendo's stance on M rated games. Like what rock have you been living under?

I see everyone complaining about the price but that won't be a problem for us Switch folks, right? Because we put Etrian Odyssey games (first one) which were straight up highway robbery, on eShop #12 spot. And not as the collection which had a discount. No, just the first game at $40.

I think the game is going to sell well on Switch. A lot of the general audience won't mind the price or at the very least, will put up with it. I think Rockstar's other Switch games go on sale pretty frequently so I don't think people will have to wait long to pick it up at a discount if $50 is too much.

I was a little confused about the pricing complaints, until I realized it's actually way cheaper than usual here in Australia. For reference, RDR is 69.95AUD(roughly45USD) on the eshop, which compared to L.A. Noire on Switch right now(89.95AUD, roughly 60USD) it's probably the cheapest I've seen a rockstar game ever retail for over here.

So I'm taking this as his wink-wink that more R* ports are on the way?
RDR2 on Switch 2 is a given. We know Rockstar actually attempted to port that to the original Switch (like fucking maniacs), and I think now that there’s hardware capable of running it they’ll put it on there, especially since their games do well on the platform.

I also expect it because Nintendo seems to really like RDR2, and when on the rare occasion they express appreciation for a third party game, they get it on their system (Minecraft, Skyrim, Persona 5). I think they’ll nab RDR2 and position it as a big game during Switch 2’s reveal.

I'm actually really happy about this, I really liked the game (especially after playing Gun Showdown), now I would be able play on the go, so it's cool. But not gonna lie, the absence of PC version confuses me. Maybe they'll port it later?

RDR2 on Switch 2 is a given. We know Rockstar actually attempted to port that to the original Switch (like fucking maniacs)
Thats actually the first I heard of that, RDR2 port attempts!

The one I've heard a lot about is their herculean attempts to get GTAV on the platform since like 5 years ago. I've always assumed that one was a no-go not due to hardware power, but rather the relatively dinky storage situation.
Having to either release a 64GB cartridge and/or have "requires extra SD card" on the box feels like an uncrossable line 😅

Thats actually the first I heard of that, RDR2 port attempts!

The one I've heard a lot about is their herculean attempts to get GTAV on the platform since like 5 years ago. I've always assumed that one was a no-go not due to hardware power, but rather the relatively dinky storage situation.
Having to either release a 64GB cartridge and/or have "requires extra SD card" on the box feels like an uncrossable line 😅
Oh yeah, that one has been flying around since... 2019? 2020? Totilo weighed in on it when GTA Trilogy got announced for Switch:

With GTA5 I am given to understand they gave up on it mostly because GTA Online support for it would be untenable and without Online they didn't see much point; maybe they can get it going on Switch 2 with its more robust capabilities and better storage on board and in cartridges (rumoured, anyway).

The Trilogy isn't even based on the original Renderware versions. It was a remaster of the mobile ports.

So while I know shadowdrops are a thing and RDR will probably be a much better release in a technical sense, Rockstar just banked on GTA Trilogy selling specifically on the name even though all three games were insanely buggy, poorly upscaled messes.
San Andreas is definitely the mobile version but Vice City is actually closer to the PS2 version than any other version from what I can tell. It’s got the unadjusted takeover requirements and some of the stricter timing in missions that’s only in the original.

Switch eShop list is based on copies sold, not revenue, just fyi. It's why often games thare are 85-90% reaches to 10. The game could be absolute shit, but as long as it sells many copies, it will chart.

It's actually a common complain from indie devs, you can just put your mediocre game at 85%, see it on 3rd place, then remove the discount, then it will still be on 3rd place for some time as the list isn't updates mutliple times everyday, so someone can see a mediocre game without discount being on 3rd place and think it's actually really good.

Switch eShop list is based on copies sold, not revenue, just fyi. It's why often games thare are 85-90% reaches to 10. The game could be absolute shit, but as long as it sells many copies, it will chart.
Yeah that's what I'm talking about. Etrian Odyssey sold a lot of copies despite its ridiculous price tag of $40. It's literally the same price when it was released on DS. Yet people bought it. Meaning overpricing is not an issue for Switch crowd.
Define “quite well” though.

I bet it doesn’t even hit 1 million in sales on the Switch.
Depends. One thing that could hamper its sales is its size. Bigger size games usually hard time selling on Switch as majority of Switch owners don't have bigger memory cards on their consoles.

Other than that 1m in sales is quite achievable. If Dragon's Dogma and MK11 did it, RDR can do more easily with 130m install base.

Have you told them about this game called Skyrim
What about RE4? That came to every platform, every generation… and then Capcom remade it!!
the purple site fuming over this is very funny but honestly this should have happened years ago. the moment the switch revealed itself to be a phenomenon every major pub should have hired a porting house to put all their ps360 catalog on the switch. a jobs program for devs if you will. so instead of going "why is it on switch?" the question should be "why was it not on switch?"
Co-signing this post 100%. I’m pleased it’s here now, but all of these games should’ve been here yesterday. It became very obvious very quickly that the Switch was going to be a huge hit. Funnily enough, it trended stronger than RDR2, which was announced on the same day/week, with the trailer to follow. If developers and publishers were late to the party, then Witcher 3’s success should’ve given them confidence in 2019, and they even had a blueprint for third-party success with late Switch ports.

Other than that 1m in sales is quite achievable. If Dragon's Dogma and MK11 did it, RDR can do more easily with 130m install base.

Dragons Dogma and MK11 have much different appeal/demand on a portable Nintendo system I’m sure lol.

see what Dring posted, it's possible

Selling decently in Europe doesn’t tell me much about it being a 1 million seller on Switch. All that tells me is that GTA trilogy sold worse on all platforms in Europe other than the ps4. Makes sense Switch is #2 cause it was certainly the best selling console in Europe in 2021.

GTA trilogy fell off the GSD charts after its launch. It wasn’t anywhere in GSD 2021 charts at the end of the year (Just Dance was, which released at the same time)

But even then, it’s not a very good metric. Even if GTA trilogy sold over 1 million on the Switch, doesn’t mean another Rockstar game would. GTA is about as “casual friendly” a game you can get.

1. Overpriced for a ps360 port
2. Not even a remaster
2. No pc release (would love to play it on the deck)

Yeah I'm not excited at all.

I never did play Undead Nightmare, but I think I might just hold out for a PC port instead.

Then again, if they did port it to PC, it would probably be through their shitty Rockstar launcher.

Dragons Dogma and MK11 have much different appeal/demand on a portable Nintendo system I’m sure lol.

Selling decently in Europe doesn’t tell me much about it being a 1 million seller on Switch. All that tells me is that GTA trilogy sold worse on all platforms in Europe other than the ps4. Makes sense Switch is #2 cause it was certainly the best selling console in Europe in 2021.

GTA trilogy fell off the GSD charts after its launch. It wasn’t anywhere in GSD 2021 charts at the end of the year (Just Dance was, which released at the same time)

But even then, it’s not a very good metric. Even if GTA trilogy sold over 1 million on the Switch, doesn’t mean another Rockstar game would. GTA is about as “casual friendly” a game you can get.
wut. is your argument that no third party games sell a million on switch or what.

Well, we know it sold over 10m WW, and that's 1 year ago. It's had another 16 months to accumulate sales. And Dring's (admittedly incompete data - since he lacks insight into eshop and Take2 doesn't release digital like Nintendo) gives a rough ordering.

Even if you deflate the Switch version from close #2 behind PS4 release to distant 2nd or even 3rd place with digital , it's unlikely to sell less than 1 million. Actually, it's probably sitting in the 2-3 million range depending on physical to digital splits.

Wait, it's going to be 50 bucks? My excitement has just been deflated!

Considering the original game was 60 bucks, and that did not include Undead Nightmare originally (which was I think 20$ if I recall), it’s not the worst value I’ve ever seen.

Sure, no RDR Online, but I don’t give two shits about Rockstar’s online features. The single player campaigns are so good, they stand on their own just fine.

Looks like the lighting is different? Or the game is just brighter? Shadows are higher quality too imo. We sure they didn't use some AI upscaling for textures? Those look different as well.

Also I'd be disappointed if Switch version isn't 1080p tbh.

Internet: Hey this thing exists now!

The Entitled: Booooooooo.
If this game wasent coming to switch this thread would probably be with a ton of more angry people I bet cause its a nintendo forum. So pc players are probably mad not coming on there. Also people have the right to compain about the price especially since it doesn't seem to be that much of an upgrade from the 7th gen consoles

Looks like the lighting is different? Or the game is just brighter? Shadows are higher quality too imo. We sure they didn't use some AI upscaling for textures? Those look different as well.

Also I'd be disappointed if Switch version isn't 1080p tbh.
Yeah, and there are certain better textures in some assets like the table

If this game wasent coming to switch this thread would probably be with a ton of more angry people I bet cause its a nintendo forum. So pc players are probably mad not coming on there. Also people have the right to compain about the price especially since it doesn't seem to be that much of an upgrade from the 7th gen consoles
But it would be foolish for them to release it at a lower cost. $50 actually sounds reasonable at initial release if it plays well and is nothing like the launch of the GTA Trilogy.

-It is the first time the series as been on a Nintendo console so it's brand new to Nintendo only players.
-It includes the DLC which was I think about $20 originally.
-The publisher doesn't immediately devalue the franchise to a sea of 130 million Switch users, which could hurt them with a potential RDR2 port for the Switch Successor.
-And gives them ample room to discount it later for a sale at a more appealing price.

PC port complaints wise, it would be foolish for them to announce that now or previously in respect to this announcement as that would lower potential sales of this release.

So bad for the publisher and yet people ask (read: complain) why?

I for one will be waiting on a sale. Then I will have my Horseshoes, Blackjack, and Whiskey Drinking Simulator on my rickety ol' Switch.

Define “quite well” though.

I bet it doesn’t even hit 1 million in sales on the Switch.
Red Dead Redemption is often claimed to be one of the best games ever made, it's from one of the most prestigious developers in gaming history, it's the first time it's going to be on a Nintendo platform (the most successful one at that), and it's releasing in the slow period before releases start picking up again.

I understand being disappointed by this release but come on dog, it's gonna do incredibly well.

I never got to play this back when it launched, so this is a good chance for me to get to play an all timer.

But not gonna lie, gamers do their best to hate on a cool thing every chance they get if they're not getting exactly what they want. It's getting real tiresome.

Well, if the collection has sold over 10 million units (per the VGC report from last year) and Switch is a top SKU, it's easy to deduce it's sold very well.
I'm just saying that the bar for a 13 year old game ported to the Switch to be successful isn't very high. I do think this will clear such bar and then some

I never got to play this back when it launched, so this is a good chance for me to get to play an all timer.

But not gonna lie, gamers do their best to hate on a cool thing every chance they get if they're not getting exactly what they want. It's getting real tiresome.
I'm on the same bought. I'm getting it on Switch, that's for sure.

Seeing no PC port still baffles me.

Internet: Hey this thing exists now!

The Entitled: Booooooooo.
The thing is, we already had rumors of RDR1 remake getting cancelled in favor of GTA6 development. And when RDR1 got rated this year, it wasn't titled "Remaster" or anything and it only was for consoles. It was obvious that this is a simple port, much like LA Noire. Why people got hyped for a AAA remake, is beyond me.

IMO Switch 2 will get monster 3rd party support from a lot of the big ticket 3rd party IPs. Call of Duty is already locked in. Red Dead on Switch is going to lead to more Rockstar content on Switch 2.

launching the physical version 4 days before the release of Alan Wake II is utterly baffling in terms of timing.
someone at Rockstar (the original version launched the same day as the first game.) really doesn't want that series to gain any popularity.

launching the physical version 4 days before the release of Alan Wake II is utterly baffling in terms of timing.
someone at Rockstar (the original version launched the same day as the first game.) really doesn't want that series to gain any popularity.
The digital is the real launch date. I assume the delayed physical is to allow for day 1 patch to be included and maybe timing to make sure both versions launch at the same time. My guess would be waiting for the Switch cartridges to be made.

It's for the collectors and the people who insist on physical. The timing will also be fine for the holiday rush where, if it does show up in stores like Best Buy and Target, would be picked up for black friday as part of the holiday rush.

The digital is the real launch date. I assume the delayed physical is to allow for day 1 patch to be included and maybe timing to make sure both versions launch at the same time. My guess would be waiting for the Switch cartridges to be made.

It's for the collectors and the people who insist on physical. The timing will also be fine for the holiday rush where, if it does show up in stores like Best Buy and Target, would be picked up for black friday as part of the holiday rush.

I think companies are testing the waters with early digital releases and late physical ones. The physical versions of recent Gamecube HD ports are coming out weeks and months after the digital versions. Early access to new titles has already been thing the past several years with digital deluxe editions allowing people to play a new game a few days "early" before the official release. This is naturally pushing it to greater extremes where people have to wait weeks, not days, to play. I can honestly seeing this becoming a lot more common.

Back
Top Bottom