• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Pokémon Legends: Arceus |ST| Breath of the Wild Area

Who did you choose to be your partner Pokemon?

• Total voters
D

Deleted member 2

At last, welcome to the Hisui region...
where a fresh new Pokemon experience awaits!

1643226637240.jpeg

1643226990151.jpeg
Explore a living, breathing world.

Battle seamlessly, anywhere...
battle_shot.jpg

battle-system_2.jpg
...with a fresh, yet familiar, battle system.

Choose your partner and get exploring!
choose.png

1643229773106.jpeg

Release date: January 28th, 2022
Developer: Game Freak
Publisher: Nintendo
Platform: Nintendo Switch

Pokemon_Legends__Arceus_Artwork_1.jpg

What's the big fuss about this game?

The bottom line: Pokemon is trying something new.

This is the first mainline Pokemon title of its kind, eschewing (or substantially obfuscating) the structural tropes of the series thus far, including gym badges, rival trainers, and the Elite Four.

Instead, you will be exploring a wild, untamed historic Sinnoh, helping a burgeoning civilization create the region's first Pokedex. This is a world unlike any seen in the Pokemon games so far: Pokemon are to be feared. They do not live in harmony with humans. Instead, they are wild animals and practically entirely mysterious to humankind!

As a member of the Galaxy Expedition Team, players will visit Jubilife Village, a bustling settlement that serves as a base of operations. After receiving an assignment or a request, Trainers will set out from the village to study one of the various areas of the Hisui region. After they finish their survey work, Trainers return to Jubilife Village to prepare for their next task. Whenever Trainers leave Jubilife Village to set out on an excursion, their first stop will be one of the base camps that will serve as an outpost for their work. These base camps are more than just starting points—Trainers can stop for a rest during an excursion, letting their team of Pokémon recover their health, or use a base camp’s workbench to craft items.

As Trainers progress toward completing the Pokédex and increase in rank as a member of the Galaxy Team, they will meet interesting characters and encounter unique Pokémon living in the Hisui region.

So kind of like Monster Hunter meets Breath of the Wild meets Pokemon?

Yep!

How are critics liking it?

Metacritic: 86
OpenCritic: 85

5/5 - Telegraph
"By tearing up the rule book and breaking new ground, Game Freak has created the best Pokemon title in decades"

9/10 - Nintendo World Report
"...an astoundingly smart improvement on the tried-and-true Pokémon formula."

9/10 - GamesRadar
"...a refreshing take on the Pokemon formula, stripping back the game to focus on the titular creatures with such great success."

8/10 - GameSpot
"Once Pokemon Legends: Arceus finds its stride ... it's the most daring and inventive the series has been in years"

Daaaaaang! So... what's the catch?

No online battling. Well, since this game is oriented around creating the Sinnoh region's first Pokedex, online multiplayer battles are not present. You may, however, trade with other players online, and there are other unique online functions such as finding items dropped by other players and being able to turn them in for Merit Points. Merit Points can then be used to purchase special items, like evolutionary stones.

The graphics don't seem great. While the world of Hisui is lush and beautiful, the artstyle carries a lot of the weight. Most complaints from critics and players have been regarding the graphics.

Cool, that's not a dealbreaker. I want to dive in! When can I play?

The adventure starts on January 28th!
TODAY!!!

catching.jpeg

Frequently Asked Questions

What's shiny rate in this game?

9D4F450B-155E-42F5-B977-EB67B9AD58DA.png

It's almost here, and it really snuck up on me. BDSP was a nice trip into the past, but I'm ready to see the future of Pokémon...which involves going back even further into the past, amusingly enough. Got the game preordered and I can't wait to pick it up from the store.

I still don't know which of the starter Pokémon I want for my journey, though. With how this game is all about catching them all I'm okay with not planning my whole team ahead of time, but the starter is such a cornerstone of the squad...

Going with my boy Oshawott. Water type starters recently have been run through the mud, so I find myself picking them to show all Pokemon are good Pokemon.

I love my fire types. Historically, I would choose Cyndaquil.

But I love my Hisuian Growltihe, and is it not ill-advised to have two fire types? Would I be better to strike forth with Oshawott?

Was going to choose Cyndaquil due to my Silver Version nostalgia, but after seeing the typing of Hisuian Typhlosion and Hisuian Decidueye I decided to rock Rowlett. My partner loves Ghost/Fire types anyway!

I'm so excited for this game

I love how we got all three starter Pokémon mentioned in a row with the first three people chiming in. We got a really fun set this time around.

But I love my Hisuian Growltihe, and is it not ill-advised to have two fire types? Would I be better to strike forth with Oshawott?
I suppose you COULD swap both in and out. Least Hisuian Growltihe has the rock type going for it to set it apart.

The wait for DHL to update its delivery status is really excruciating on me ... I'm gonna go with Rowlet since I did not play Gen VII games and I'm kinda curious if it is as viable throughout the campaign as Turtwig/Torterra was in Platinum.

Follow your burning heart

I don't wanna watch the reviews because I'm trying to avoid seeing anything more at this point, did anyone mention anything about trading being in the game?

Two of one type isn’t a big deal, especially since at least one of those is also a Rock-type. You’ll be able to use these mons in different ways. I’ve certainly had worse type overlap on my teams before.

I love how we got all three starter Pokémon mentioned in a row with the first three people chiming in. We got a really fun set this time around.

I suppose you COULD swap both in and out. Least Hisuian Growltihe has the rock type going for it to set it apart.
Yeah, but then I'll feel guilty I'm not giving one or the other enough attention 😋 I personify these digital pixels way too much than is healthy but gosh darn I just want them happy and successful

Follow your burning heart
Honestly I think you may be right ahaha

Two of one type isn’t a big deal, especially since at least one of those is also a Rock-type. You’ll be able to use these mons in different ways. I’ve certainly had worse type overlap on my teams before.
That's true, but more often than not if I'm not paying attention to my team I'll inadvertently make a mono-type fire run almost every time (or at least red/orange Pokemon haha)

Don't check the comments of the reddit post (spoilers), but this shot surprisingly doesn't look that bad? It's weird how some trees in this game look good and then you got the pine trees which look like complete garbage.

Yeah, but then I'll feel guilty I'm not giving one or the other enough attention 😋 I personify these digital pixels way too much than is healthy but gosh darn I just want them happy and successful

Honestly I think you may be right ahaha

That's true, but more often than not if I'm not paying attention to my team I'll inadvertently make a mono-type fire run almost every time (or at least red/orange Pokemon haha)
Ah, but it’s ultimately Sinnoh. You couldn’t even if you wanted, surely. You can view this as either a curse or a blessing from Arceus.

Ah, but it’s ultimately Sinnoh. You couldn’t even if you wanted, surely. You can view this as either a curse or a blessing from Arceus.
2 for 2, I just can't escape it 😂 Okay, but last thing I consider: of all the friends I asked so far, they're all also getting Cyndaquil. If I plan to trade with them in the future, is it not better to have a little variety? 😋

(I'll hum and haw when I get to it but I'll probably still pick Cyndaquil lol)

Quoted by: ze_
2 for 2, I just can't escape it 😂 Okay, but last thing I consider: of all the friends I asked so far, they're all also getting Cyndaquil. If I plan to trade with them in the future, is it not better to have a little variety? 😋

(I'll hum and haw when I get to it but I'll probably still pick Cyndaquil lol)
The conversion is nearly complete, brothers. Soon he shall be one of us.

Don't check the comments of the reddit post (spoilers), but this shot surprisingly doesn't look that bad? It's weird how some trees in this game look good and then you got the pine trees which look like complete garbage.

I don't care about Graphics. The most important part is Fun :)

If I would care about Graphics than I would buy an XBox Series X.

I really like how it looks, much better than any switch pokémon besides let's go imo

I do wish trees had shadows but y'know the switch sucks and all

Great OT even without the short notice! And good title as well ;)

I'm surprisingly a lot more excited for this right now than I thought I'd be. I've been wanting to get 'into' a Pokemon game for so long but I just couldn't get past the restrictive structure and focus on long-ass battles of earlier games. The graphics aren't great, I ain't gonna lie to myself there, but the rest seems like a pretty damn good step up on all fronts.

Here's hoping I can be finished with Horizon Zero Dawn by tomorrow night... but I doubt it tbh

I'm gonna play this on a 43" 4K tv and you all can't stop me!
I'm playing this on my 55" LG tomorrow. I don't think the game looks all that bad. The art design looks good. I'm more concerned over the framerate but we'll see soon enough.

Damnit, I fell for the hype, I'm actually excited. Not to crazy levels, but I read enough from reviews and impressions to look forward to a good time. Might even be able to pick it up tomorrow if my local shop owner is right.

Also, Oshawott FTW, he's my sassy little otter.
iiaM9aHoupciBPOjyZQb9wJc0OY83SoSf223YVAlNT8.jpg

I'm playing this on my 55" LG tomorrow. I don't think the game looks all that bad. The art design looks good. I'm more concerned over the framerate but we'll see soon enough.

Looks like they prioritised frame rate, which is the reason for all the pop-in and low-res stuff.

watching the Nintendo World Report review, they mentioned docked mode ranges from 1080p to 720p and handheld goes from 720p to 600p

Can’t wait to pick this up. Not sure when since I’m still working on Brilliant Diamond, and I pre ordered a copy for my daughter, so if I pick up another 60 dollar game my wife will not be amused lol

But looking at all previews, this looks like it can be my jam. Hopefully by the time I pick it up the hyperbole discussion on the visuals (which I still think look nice?) will be over and people can talk about the game.

Will try to snag a physical copy after work on Friday, but if I can't, I'll get digital. I can't wait to play it, the hype really snuck up on me this last month.

You really think this game looks offensively ugly?
it looks very uneven. great in some parts, mad uggs in others. it's not like I have high expectations from GF regarding graphics in the first place. I am surprised they made such a big jump, but after the SS Expansion Pass, I think they can make a well designed play area at least. now they just need to work on better balancing draws to push out that draw distance

Back
Top Bottom