• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pokemon Legends Arceus Pre-Release Discussion and Hype Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand people saying it looks ugly. That screenshot is beautiful. It could be better, yes, but it's good enough for me. The background really does look like a japanese print, and I think that's an achievement. A big part of BOTW's beauty resides in its ability to create beautiful and interesting backgrounds.
I think the biggest issue with PLA presentation is how low quality ground textures, and how barren it's terrains are, most obvious when looking at grass environments.

Having the same visual style and mechanics does not mean two games use the same engine. You can make a BOTW clone in Unity or Unreal as well.

Genshin Impact is made in Unity.
Post was made in jest.

Carry on : p

Last edited:
I don't understand people saying it looks ugly. That screenshot is beautiful. It could be better, yes, but it's good enough for me. The background really does look like a japanese print, and I think that's an achievement. A big part of BOTW's beauty resides in its ability to create beautiful and interesting backgrounds.
They didn't fully commit to stylization like something like Okami or Pokémon Mystery Dungeon DX did, so the game does have a level of detail problem that the art style can't fully make up for it

I do like the way some scenes have a striking color palette though. I feel like they're trying to emphasize color, with everything being noticeably colored differently depending on the time of the day. And that does bring some interesting backgrounds

The graphics are nothing to write home about but let's be honest, it's a revolution as far as Pokemon is concerned.

Pokemon fans should be quite pleased with the scope and visuals of the game.

From the older trailer, when the trainer depletes the "yellow/evil" Kleavor's health, it becomes normal after. What happens next? They just cut if off after that.

Perhaps they allow you to battle it or simply capture it?

From the older trailer, when the trainer depletes the "yellow/evil" Kleavor's health, it becomes normal after. What happens next? They just cut if off after that.

Perhaps they allow you to battle it or simply capture it?
We've seen that you transition into a normal pokemon battle.

So the boss loop will be first you do the action gameplay portion, dodge attacks and pelt it with the stuff that calms it, then when you do that you stun them and transition into a pokemon battle(maybe multiple rounds) we haven't seen enough to know for sure, but that seems likely

So the boss loop will be first you do the action gameplay portion, dodge attacks and pelt it with the stuff that calms it, then when you do that you stun them and transition into a pokemon battle(maybe multiple rounds) we haven't seen enough to know for sure, but that seems likely
you can initiate pokemon battles to stun it for longer, but you'll go back to the action portion

my guess is that you don't catch them, just calm them and then they'll be callable assists

you can initiate pokemon battles to stun it for longer, but you'll go back to the action portion

my guess is that you don't catch them, just calm them and then they'll be callable assists
I remember we saw a screenshot of the action portion that showed no option to throw out pokemon, just to throw the bag. So I assume it's at least somewhat restricted

Damn that's mad! Imagine the boss wiping out most of your party, then you transition to the pokemon battle limping in. Sounds like shit could get difficult, I'm all for it!

What are the chances that something new will be revealed this week? I have a feeling that there will be one before the game is prepared physically (which would be when datamining typically starts). Likely would be a couple of Pokemon and a bit more information on the trainers.

Thank you for reading.

What are the chances that something new will be revealed this week? I have a feeling that there will be one before the game is prepared physically (which would be when datamining typically starts). Likely would be a couple of Pokemon and a bit more information on the trainers.

Thank you for reading.
This week is pretty likely, if not next week is guaranteed. My personal take is we get weekly info starting this week, but we'll see

I remember we saw a screenshot of the action portion that showed no option to throw out pokemon, just to throw the bag. So I assume it's at least somewhat restricted
You have to press X to switch from throwing items to throwing out your Pokémon, if anything it means you can’t try to catch it

Why wouldn't it be? I don't remember any areas being locked after beating the game in past games.

i think the one you responded to means that the map of Legends is made up of several smaller ''maps''. You accept a assignment in the style of monster hunter and travel via a menu to a specific basecamp on the map. You arent however allowed to travel between basecamps on foot, most likely only via a menu (assuming that there is 1 basecamp per area). I think the question here was about that these restrictions would be lifted once you have beaten the game. I however think that is very unlikely.

I don't think you'll be restricted from exploring the map until you get quests. it might be that you can go out whenever but you can't retroactively complete quests

i think the one you responded to means that the map of Legends is made up of several smaller ''maps''. You accept a assignment in the style of monster hunter and travel via a menu to a specific basecamp on the map. You arent however allowed to travel between basecamps on foot, most likely only via a menu (assuming that there is 1 basecamp per area). I think the question here was about that these restrictions would be lifted once you have beaten the game. I however think that is very unlikely.

I still don't believe you can't just walk places, I've read that speculation but it isn't confirmed yet. You probably get teleported when you accept a mission to save time, but I think you can also freely explore when you're not on a mission.

I still don't believe you can't just walk places, I've read that speculation but it isn't confirmed yet. You probably get teleported when you accept a mission to save time, but I think you can also freely explore when you're not on a mission.

The statement reads "in Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Jubilife Village will serve as the base for surveying missions. After receiving an assignment or a request and preparing for their next excursion, players will set out from the village to study one of the various open areas of the Hisui region. After they finish the survey work, players will need to return once more to prepare for their next task. We look forward to sharing more information about exploring the Hisui region soon."

article

Count me in the don't get it camp. I think the game looks pretty? Sure, it's not a PS5 nor the most technically accomplished game on Switch, but it looks pretty? Kind of how I think so many 3DS games look pretty despite obviously being on lesser hardware than say, Vita.

The statement reads "in Pokémon Legends: Arceus, Jubilife Village will serve as the base for surveying missions. After receiving an assignment or a request and preparing for their next excursion, players will set out from the village to study one of the various open areas of the Hisui region. After they finish the survey work, players will need to return once more to prepare for their next task. We look forward to sharing more information about exploring the Hisui region soon."

article

I read it as just explaining how missions work, doesn't mean you can't go out without being on a mission.

Legends doesn't look worse than the average open world Switch game, definitely. It looks like it's running at a higher resolution than Xenoblade 2 or DE too.

article

Thing is we know you can fly about everywhere, so I don't think the map is closed down. Or else there would be something in the topography that would indicate it, like big walls but it's a very open world. We also have seen that the player can roam at will in the village and around it so I find it hard to believe exiting the village cannot be done freely.

Legends doesn't look worse than the average open world Switch game, definitely. It looks like it's running at a higher resolution than Xenoblade 2 or DE too.
Resolution might be better but something is way off with the lighting. I lack the technical know-how/industry vocabulary to pinpoint exactly what the issues are, but a bunch of things just feel wrong. Some landscapes look really flat, like they're completely missing shadows in places or something. Maybe needs more distance fog or whatever it's called too? Either way depth looks completely messed up in a lot of the shots

Resolution might be better but something is way off with the lighting. I lack the technical know-how/industry vocabulary to pinpoint exactly what the issues are, but a bunch of things just feel wrong. Some landscapes look really flat, like they're completely missing shadows in places or something. Maybe needs more distance fog or whatever it's called too? Either way depth looks completely messed up in a lot of the shots

It's the draw distance. That's something a lot of Switch games are lacking with due to limited bandwith of the system. Some games hide it better than others but overall it's more of a hardware problem.

Take BOTW for instance. The grass rendering is pretty limited but they have a smart artstyle that hides it thanks to sharp colors. But you can easily see that the shadows barely render on the trees in the distance.
axV1YQ1_700bwp.webp

It's the draw distance. That's something a lot of Switch games are lacking with due to limited bandwith of the system. Some games hide it better than others but overall it's more of a hardware problem.

Take BOTW for instance. The grass rendering is pretty limited but they have a smart artstyle that hides it thanks to sharp colors. But you can easily see that the shadows barely render on the trees in the distance.
axV1YQ1_700bwp.webp
Like you said the artistic choices help mask it though. Stuff in the distance is dark blue and desaturated. Meanwhile Legends looks like bad parallax, where everything is the same distance from you like some pasted together 2D collage. I suppose that means it's an artstyle deficiency rather than a technical one then, but either way it leaves the game looking not great

Like you said the artistic choices help mask it though. Stuff in the distance is dark blue and desaturated. Meanwhile Legends looks like bad parallax, where everything is the same distance from you like some pasted together 2D collage. I suppose that means it's an artstyle deficiency rather than a technical one then, but either way it leaves the game looking not great

I definitely think that the latest CM we have has improved a lot how the game looked on the color/depth front

I definitely think that the latest CM we have has improved a lot how the game looked on the color/depth front

Yeah the new clips look alright for the most part. The shot that really cemented itself in my mind was this one, like goddamn this looks horrible. But this was from the initial reveal, don't know if we've seen improvements on this specific front since then (though I think I recall similar issues in the Growlithe trailer?) but hopefully it will look a LOT better in the final game. Because this ain't it

14.jpg

EDIT: Eh, even in more recent footage this kind of scenery looks horrendous... Like what the hell is with their cliffs/water's edge

101.jpg

Last edited:
The game does look a bit better. Or I’m just getting used to it. Lol. But either way, the biggest difference to me is the amount of “activity” that seems to be going on. Maybe it’s just the editing of the trailer, but in general it feels better than it did before and definitely better than their last few games. Stuff like jumping with the fish and throwing the pokeball at the same time helps reduce the generally static feel Pokémon (and honestly most jrpgs) tend to have.

Apparently the media are starting to get the game, so we really should get something this week

Apparently the media are starting to get the game, so we really should get something this week
I don't doubt it or anything, but any chance you have a source so I can send it to my friends that are convinced we're not getting news until release week?

I don't doubt it or anything, but any chance you have a source so I can send it to my friends that are convinced we're not getting news until release week?
It was posted about in the discord, no proof or anything to provide though, but I don't doubt it personally

It was posted about in the discord, no proof or anything to provide though, but I don't doubt it personally
Damn it. Guess I'll just have to wait for the previews/trailer drop(s) to prove them wrong. Thanks anyways!

Hoping we actually get a full-on Pokemon Presents this week since I'm just dying for some news at this point

Edit: Actually, press previews might be even better in this case

Nothing about that would be surprising.
I think it is. Game Freak working with a prominent Nintendo studio is way more than they have worked in the past. and no, I don't consider "well MS is amazing at open worlds" as an obvious tell. GF could have gone to any more technically proficient studio for assistance in world design

I think it is. Game Freak working with a prominent Nintendo studio is way more than they have worked in the past. and no, I don't consider "well MS is amazing at open worlds" as an obvious tell. GF could have gone to any more technically proficient studio for assistance in world design
It wouldn't have been suprising if they hadn't worked with MS but it isn't suprising that they apparently have either.

Neither possibility had a sufficiently low probability to be called suprising imo.

If the grass was as dense as BotW, the environment didn’t have the weird shading it does and that one kind of tree didn’t have the bizarre painted on dark shading then I think the game was actually look a lot closer to BotW in terms of quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom