• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Pre-Release Pikmin 4 — Pre-release Discussion (UPDATE: "Your First Expedition with Pikmin" trailer, see threadmarks)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pikmin is one of those series that is extremely consistent with differentiating each game from the last. Pikmin 3 could arguably be seen as a "return" to Pikmin 1 style game play, but the three captains and especially mission mode really give it a different vibe. Pikmin 4 is superficially similar to Pikmin 2 now from what I've seen, but I think we can expect to similarly differentiate itself. If they didn't have a lot of ideas for it they either wouldn't have made it or would have pushed it out earlier imo

Pikmin is one of those series that is extremely consistent with differentiating each game from the last. Pikmin 3 could arguably be seen as a "return" to Pikmin 1 style game play, but the three captains and especially mission mode really give it a different vibe. Pikmin 4 is superficially similar to Pikmin 2 now from what I've seen, but I think we can expect to similarly differentiate itself. If they didn't have a lot of ideas for it they either wouldn't have made it or would have pushed it out earlier imo
This. All Pikmin games have their own qualities and points they excel at. An argument can be made for every entry on why it's the best one

If you look at the trailer shots with the elephant slide in the background, the bridge looks to be the same material as the climbing wall. And it seems you need red pikmin to make the climbing wall. To me it looks like the red pikmin are drying out the material to turn it into dried earth.
Foef1BZaYAAbCuO
pikmin-4-climbing.jpg

the biggest thing that currently seems like it's making a return is the "pikmin-as-ammo" action gaminess that they started leaning into with 3 and further in Deluxe (just hold down a button to fire off all your pikmin and watch the number in your cursor tick down, the dodge roll, the general ease of saving them from getting eaten or burning up or whatever) rather than the messy & chaotic group of guys you have flopping around in the first couple games. it's obviously a result of the focus on replaying days to do things optimally (which is not how I've ever played these games personally), and I don't think it's necessarily a flaw, just not what I want out of these games

I'd be curious to see that video if you happen to track it down! I haven't read too much criticism of 3, it seems like it's many people's favorite in the series, but I have some other big issues with it (I wrote about some of them in one of my earlier posts here). it's probably too soon to say, but it maybe seems like 4 will be a bit more open-ended and less focused on rushing to each of the big cutscenes and bosses, which will be an automatic improvement for me.

I think it’s this one! Though I remember one that was much longer, it at least covers similar points. TLDR - it’s the best game in the series in many ways, but the overall least favorite of this creator for very similar reasons to your linked post RE: linearity and mission structure.

In some ways, it’s kind of like how LM3 is “missing” some of the magic of LM1 due to its floor structure. It has all the right parts, and is alllllmost there, but just a bit too linear to really speak to my heart. Both games seem to have one foot in the ”accessible” Wii era of game design and another in the modern open ended Switch era.

I would be so dissappointed if the only Pikmin 4 Treehouse gameplay we will get will be something like this. No EPD employees, no Miyamoto just Treehouse team showing the game. But I guess this is the reality when they are not going to E3 since that was always full of EPD staff, but damn it's not that hard to record some gameplay directly from Kyoto and put subs/dub over it. Ask the developer is cool but we need more E3 like Treehouse with actual staff.

No EPD employees, no Miyamoto just Treehouse team showing the game.
I feel like Nintendo is adjusting its PR to focus more on the games and less on the developers/business behind it, in order to control what gets talked about and reported on. They want the characters in the game to have the spotlight rather than have commentators making assumptions about the character of their staff.

I feel like Nintendo is adjusting its PR to focus more on the games and less on the developers/business behind it, in order to control what gets talked about and reported on. They want the characters in the game to have the spotlight rather than have commentators making assumptions about the character of their staff.
I don't believe that, especially when Ask The Developer is a thing.

Good. The less like 2 the better.

/s
/s on that /s

It's good to see 2 player is in the game in some form.

But please, for the love of all that is holy, let us play online as well.

I think it looks nice but I'm just not feeling super excited for it. Like so far it's... another Pikmin game, with the same type of gameplay in another same-y looking location. I figured Pikmin was ripe to go the open world route -- how cool would it be to have a big seamless open world with all these different puzzles and progression instead of 4-5 smaller disconnected 'worlds'.

As it is, it looks like more Pikmin, which is fine because this is a great series and it's been a while, but at game #4 I kind of expect there to start being more of a hook or an innovation or a reason to get really excited. I don't think I'd be excited at all for a Pikmin 5 that's again more of the same but with another new Pikmin type.

I think there are foundational changes in Pikmin 4 that Nintendo's keeping close to their chest for now. We can see multiple landing sites in the same region, and during the end of the trailer we see one of the leaders lifting off with the ship in the middle of the day, leaving the other 3 behind. Not to mention the whole nighttime exploration thing they tease at the end.

What if this game features a complete day/night cycle and you're allowed to fly the ship to a different region whenever you want, independent of the time of day? That'd be an intuitive way to introduce a timer to cave exploration. The day would continue to pass while you're underground and you could pop out in the middle of the night if you aren't careful.

I am pretty excited for nighttime. This game is my most wanted this year and looks like a perfect sequel

Hmmm I’m still left wondering if this means co-op, or Bingo Battle, or both? Ideally both, but I’m going to be sorely disappointed if it’s not co-op.

We only ever see the one red-headed leader controlled in the footage. I'm a little worried the other 3 leaders will remain as NPCs and that story co-op, if it's in at all, will be Mario Odyssey-esque "little brother" co-op with player 2 as Oatchi.

We only ever see the one red-headed leader controlled in the footage. I'm a little worried the other 3 leaders will remain as NPCs and that story co-op, if it's in at all, will be Mario Odyssey-esque "little brother" co-op with player 2 as Oatchi.
NOOOOOOOOOOOO

I took super-effective psychic damage from this post

I suspect the multiple landing sites mean the little ship can be used as fast travel. But it doesn't seem that useful seeing as the sites are so close to each other. Maybe individual sites are used as starting points for missions and you re-enter the level at different sites depending on which mission you select. Like Super Mario Galaxy.

I'm thinking on replaying 3 while I wait for 4 to launch, but I have realized I bought Hey Pikmin but never played it. Is it worth it to give it a go? I loved the three main games, but I have seen the gameplay is a different story in Hey, and a friend told me the game is boring as hell. What do you think about it?

I'm thinking on replaying 3 while I wait for 4 to launch, but I have realized I bought Hey Pikmin but never played it. Is it worth it to give it a go? I loved the three main games, but I have seen the gameplay is a different story in Hey, and a friend told me the game is boring as hell. What do you think about it?

It's a middling third-party platformer with the Pikmin IP stapled onto it. It's not the worst but it doesn't feel like a Pikmin game at all.

It's a middling third-party platformer with the Pikmin IP stapled onto it. It's not the worst but it doesn't feel like a Pikmin game at all.
I see, thanks. I will try a few levels and if Im getting bored I will stop then. "Pikmin" and "boring" never would work on the same sentence for me.

I'm speculating that Pikmin 4 will be mission-based and each mission only provides you with up to 3 different pikmin types. Or maybe each map only has certain pikmin types. It'd make each new area have a different feel as you'd need to use different strategies in each.

At that point it's basically just challenge mode, no? And I assume that'll be back.
On this board and elsewhere I see a lot of praise for challenge mode and how that took up a lot of posters' playtime. It seems sensible to incorporate elements of what made it so enjoyable into the main campaign.

I’m very excited that the game has been announced and we have a gameplay trailer. I see why Nintendo usually waits until a game is close to release until they announce. The wait is killing me.

Do you like lots of little skits starring Pikmin and weird new Pikmin animal facts? Then Hey! Pikmin! might be the game for you

On this board and elsewhere I see a lot of praise for challenge mode and how that took up a lot of posters' playtime. It seems sensible to incorporate elements of what made it so enjoyable into the main campaign.
I mean I love the challenge mode but I wouldn't want the main game mode to lose its freedom. I would hope we just get both back as their own separate things.

just got an email from NOA with a survey that was framed as being about Nintendo generally but ended up focusing mainly on Pikmin. nothing particularly interesting or revealing, it's probably just to help calibrate their marketing efforts, but figured I'd mention it. no space for feedback or what would be nice to see in a future game or anything like that lol
in addition to the few I screenshotted below, there were also a couple questions about what games in the series I've played, whether I've recommended them to others and how I recommended them, gauging awareness of and interest in 4 etc.
DDQjaHK.png

YijJaZa.png

x28iImy.png

just got an email from NOA with a survey that was framed as being about Nintendo generally but ended up focusing mainly on Pikmin. nothing particularly interesting or revealing, it's probably just to help calibrate their marketing efforts, but figured I'd mention it. no space for feedback or what would be nice to see in a future game or anything like that lol
in addition to the few I screenshotted below, there were also a couple questions about what games in the series I've played, whether I've recommended them to others and how I recommended them, gauging awareness of and interest in 4 etc.
DDQjaHK.png

YijJaZa.png

x28iImy.png
My partner and I also got this survey today. Of course, I had to mention Bingo Battle at every chance I got, lol. Really hoping that comes back in Pikmin 4, or at least a similar multiplayer mode (preferably with the ability for each player to choose their own control settings this time, and also playable online if possible).

Also, I found this question amusing, lol:
You can’t just ask me to pick only three of these, Nintendo! Pretty much all of these emotions are integral to the Pikmin experience!! XD

I found something in the trailer. At the end just before the title, there is a shot of the rocket taking off. In the top right of the screen there is a round reddish thing poking out of the foliage and it seems to have blinking lights on it. I think it looks similar to the spaceship. Can anyone else see this?

I found something in the trailer. At the end just before the title, there is a shot of the rocket taking off. In the top right of the screen there is a round reddish thing poking out of the foliage and it seems to have blinking lights on it. I think it looks similar to the spaceship. Can anyone else see this?
oh yeah I think I see it—it does look very similar to the little ship pod

tnw7tgA.png

(doing my most halfhearted youtube thumbnail impression)

oh yeah I think I see it—it does look very similar to the little ship pod

tnw7tgA.png

(doing my most halfhearted youtube thumbnail impression)

Oh wow, that's a nice find. I saw someone a few weeks ago who noticed that thing on the top of the ship here is missing in an earlier shot:

3uJTwos.png

YFbFZnJ.png

They suggested that the ship was missing pieces and recovering them would have it show up on the model, like in Pikmin 1. If true, wonder if the thing in the corner is another ship part?

It could well be another part, although if so it probably would have been retrieved already seeing as it's so close by.

Maybe the thing in the corner is a crashed ship and we need to locate its castaways.

The fact that Aonuma will present TotK gameplay makes me think they will do it with Pikmin and Miyamoto too (if it's not a part of a PIkmin 4 Direct already, which I believe will be hosted by Miyamoto too (opposite to just random narrator)).

The fact that Aonuma will present TotK gameplay makes me think they will do it with Pikmin and Miyamoto too (if it's not a part of a PIkmin 4 Direct already, which I believe will be hosted by Miyamoto too (opposite to just random narrator)).
I'm thinking a new trailer somewhere in end of May/June showing off the teased night time mode and then end of June this^. I think Miyamoto will push for it to happen haha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom