• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pikmin 1 + 2 HD available now on the eShop, physical release coming in September

ZPADQwL.png

They're awful but in a funny way
hmmm

thank you lol

2's one of my favourite games ever and I'm so happy it's here. Easy purchase for me, I'm tempted to double dip and get physical too.

Do you have any hard research or data to back this up as an effective marketing technique?
I haven't claimed anything. I asked you, and you provided a single example without numbers, and an expertise in the market that i should apparently just accept at face value

Pikmin is one of my all time favorite games and my all time favorite series. So far I have a similar experience to Prime Remaster-- fun to play through again but it really drives home how these games were meant to be played with a Gamecube controller. I've also had a few frustrating glitches and performance issues which was surprising.

Almost done with Pikmin 1. It's just so fun. It's simple and easy to get into. I've played this game maybe over a dozen times through and I still enjoy it. It's easier to go back to than Pikmin 2 even though the latter is a better game.

I'll grab the physical in September, glad they are doing a double pack.

I'll also say stuff like this is why I think the chances of GameCube NSO ever being a thing are basically zero. Gamecube and up games are valuable enough to do remakes and remasters of. Can't see much appeal when so much of its tiny library gets fixed up with new graphics and quality of life improvements.

I'm going to take a deeper look at the first party library, but on the surface I have to agree with you. The remasters/remakes are starting to pile up on the Switch. At this point, I don't see us getting GCN on the NSO until way way waaaaaaaay down the road when Nintendo needs a reason to up the subscription fees.

Also, Sunshine really was done dirty here.

Pikmin is one of my all time favorite games and my all time favorite series. So far I have a similar experience to Prime Remaster-- fun to play through again but it really drives home how these games were meant to be played with a Gamecube controller. I've also had a few frustrating glitches and performance issues which was surprising.

I only played Pikmin 3 Deluxe before. Think these are worth getting?

ZPADQwL.png

They're awful but in a funny way

They're based on the original Japanese boxes! I'm seeing a lot of people miss that with both this and Super Mario RPG; I think all three are cute.

tumblr_lskor6a1hH1qzj5ggo1_500.jpg
tumblr_lskor6a1hH1qzj5ggo2_500.jpg

I hope nobody is really missing that old Pikmin logo though, because they've updated Pikmin 3 Deluxe's home menu icon to make it uniform with how the icons for the rest of the series look.

FzMeVx-WwAA3Gcr.png

This is a bit off-topic. But can we just dropped the idea of Nintendo shadowdropped a remaster will make them underperformed. Cause if you're gonnat based this on other, more popular remaster releases. It's just not gonna comparable to Metroid or Pikmin, franchise that never known for selling high to begin with, at all.

If anything, when the physical version of Metroid Prime Remastered dropped, copies were flying off the shelves in the US specifically. Making it hard to obtain for a good few weeks. That's clearly not "underperformed" and more like "overperformed". So clearly the physical sales were beyond Nintendo's expectations. Even though customers have the option to get the game digitally first.

And it's clear Nintendo has much less of an expectation with Pikmin 1 & 2 here. Seeing as the games were a much simpler upscaled port akin to Mario 3D All-Stars, only sold physically as a bundle, and releasing in September worldwide. While Prime Remastered was only a month away in most places (US/Canada were just a week later, as it's clear where their priorities with this game's market is)

With how Prime Remastered still doing well with releasing digital first, physical later. Nintendo probably thought they could get some early sales this way. Either way, they still made money from it.

Not an instant buy like MP:Remastered was for me.

I'll probably pick them up by the end of the day, but I do wish they were more than a simple up-res
Yeah wish I could be excited, I really enjoyed Pikmin 3 but the first one on GC was too time limited for my tasted, hated you couldn't extend somehow beyond the 30 days. Also since those aren't completely remade like Prime, they should be 40$ bundled not 50$ imo.

It’s really odd that there isn’t a single graphics comparison to be found on YouTube, you’d think that would be a priority.
From screenshots the games appear to look exactly as they would running on Dolphin with no extra features. Only higher resolution.

OK So I‘m almost done Pikmin 1. I’m at the Final Trial which I’ll do later today probably.

I think this is a just OK port of a masterpiece.

I’ve always kinda wanted Pikmin 1 remade but this port is probably all I’ll ever get, and I think, knowing that, it’s fine. The motion controls feel a little funky and don’t work like I’d want them to. I wish I could have pseudo-pointer controls on at all times. I think it looks as good as a Gamecube/Wii upscale can look, though it would have been nice to have seen it running at 60 fps. I also do wish they had touched up maybe some of the mechanics of the game. The Pikmin’s pathfinding is still frustratingly inefficient at times, and sometimes I find some Pikmin have died and I will never know why. Maybe I was within 100 meters of water and some Reds saw fit to take a bath.

Still: I think Pikmin 1 is a masterpiece of a video game and I’m glad it’s available on a modern console. Sure, I wish it had a bit more work done to it, but what’s here is great and I’m happy to play it again.

OK So I‘m almost done Pikmin 1. I’m at the Final Trial which I’ll do later today probably.

I’ve always kinda wanted Pikmin 1 remade but this port is probably all I’ll ever get, and I think, knowing that, it’s fine. The motion controls feel a little funky and don’t work like I’d want them to. I wish I could have pseudo-pointer controls on at all times. I think it looks as good as a Gamecube/Wii upscale can look, though it would have been nice to have seen it running at 60 fps. I also do wish they had touched up maybe some of the mechanics of the game. The Pikmin’s pathfinding is still frustratingly inefficient at times, and sometimes I find some Pikmin have died and I will never know why. Maybe I was within 100 meters of water and some Reds saw fit to take a bath.

Still: I think Pikmin 1 is a masterpiece of a video game and I’m glad it’s available on a modern console. Sure, I wish it had a bit more work done to it, but what’s here is great and I’m happy to play it again.

Do you consider 1 to be better than 3? I’ve only ever finished 3 and liked it a lot. I had 1 back on release but didn’t get into it as I wasn’t enjoying gaming as much due to going through college/university.

so the title of the first game really is officially "Pikmin 1" (rather than "Pikmin") now huh. that's weird!
this must be one of the only times Nintendo has retroactively retitled/renumbered a game, right? even the Mother 1+2 collection still refers to the first game as just "MOTHER" within the game selection menu.

the Pikmin™ 1 game.......

Do you consider 1 to be better than 3? I’ve only ever finished 3 and liked it a lot. I had 1 back on release but didn’t get into it as I wasn’t enjoying gaming as much due to going through college/university.
I think 1 is a masterpiece of its era but has definitely aged in the 20+ years since release. There are some small QOL things you’d miss going from 3 to 1 but I do think it’s worth playing!

I only played Pikmin 3 Deluxe before. Think these are worth getting?
I would definitely get 2. Pikmin 1 is a bit simplistic and the pikmin are dumber so it may put you off. But Pikmin 2 is just fantastic. For me it's a top 3 GCN game.

See I could never do motion control for Pikmin 1. Feels off considering how many times I've played with standard controls lmao. I do agree about the pathfinding. You ain't walking up those slopes or somewhat narrow pathways without leaving a few stragglers behind. I learn to just ignore them and eventually I'll naturally find them.

lol, first comic and it's already quite dark. Poor red pikmin, this franchise is so deceiving in its look

I hope it's not going to be just comics, but new short movies as well. They're really good, especially Occupational Hazards
I'm still convinced Nintendo should go the Pixar route and just make a new little Pikmin short at the start of each movie as they come out. Quick little bursts of comedy relief before the main event.

That updated captain's health wheel icon is such a relief for me to see Olimar's face. For the longest time I kept thinking it was a 3/4 profile of some weird edgy 90s mascot face on the GC version of the game lol. Does anyone else see what I mean? The feet are the chin, the legs are teeth, his arms the nose, his neck the eye, and the rest of Olimar's head as some bizarre quiff hairstyle?

I hope nobody is really missing that old Pikmin logo though, because they've updated Pikmin 3 Deluxe's home menu icon to make it uniform with how the icons for the rest of the series look.

FzMeVx-WwAA3Gcr.png
Huh, this is so weird! Honestly I kind of prefer the original logo, but I do appreciate the update for the sake of consistency, lol.

But, like, is this really the only thing this update does?? I just downloaded it and it seemed to take an unusually long time to download and install for being apparently just an icon change… Nintendo’s update page for the game only mentions the icon change, though, but I wonder if there’s some other hidden changes. I launched the game and didn’t see anything different at a glance, though…

Kinda wish they would have added the new way of implementing gyro controls from Pikmin 1 + 2 (and I assume Pikmin 4 as well) to the game with this update, ‘cause the constant gyro drift in 3 Deluxe is very annoying…

Damn, now I wish I wouldn't have bought these on Wii U some days before the eShop closure, lol. And at the same time I wish there wasn't a physical release in three months stopping me from buying them right now digitally.

Waiting for my retail copy to arrive will be strange considering I’ll be playing Pikmin 4 well before it arrives, but I’m super excited nonetheless to have a reliable, gorgeous Pikmin machine in full effect by year’s end. 😄

That new logo feels so out of place... Why is it so clean?! :(
I think it’s a downgrade too!

In my opinion, it's quite sad to receive this port HD right now before the launch of Pikmin 4. I find it sad because it's unnecessary having the sequel coming in just less than a month, and also the way they have remastered the game, or both games.

They could have kept both games in development for a remake using the motor of 3 or even the new from 4. That would have been amazing and it could have launched next year or even in 2025. But no... Now we have two old games upscaled in HD and quite scruffy. Pikmin deserved more.

Could they have had 2 million or more in the first quarter? if they marketed it? I fully believe so, considering xenoblade definitive edition's first quarter was of 1,4 or 1,5 million and metroid is way larger than xenoblade.
Is it really though? The best selling Metroid games are indeed above the best selling Xenoblade game but it's not a huge distance... like 500k copies at most.

'Pikmin 1' is a little bit obnoxious, there is no game called 'Pikmin 1', it's 'Pikmin'. We didn't just have 'Metroid Prime 1' released on to the Switch.

Is it really though? The best selling Metroid games are indeed above the best selling Xenoblade game but it's not a huge distance... like 500k copies at most.
Two things that separate them

Xenoblade took 4 years to reach 2 million, dread did in its first quarter.

Two: dread, despite being a 2d game, still managed to do this.

For anyone actively playing Pikmin 2 and far enough to have all five types; is the Ai no Uta easter egg actually gone? From my understanding what the description is referring to is the Japanese Wii versions having karaoke demo videos if you leave the title screen cycling a few times; otherwise Tane no Uta was never in-game in the first place.

For anyone actively playing Pikmin 2 and far enough to have all five types; is the Ai no Uta easter egg actually gone? From my understanding what the description is referring to is the Japanese Wii versions having karaoke demo videos if you leave the title screen cycling a few times; otherwise Tane no Uta was never in-game in the first place.
i was trying to trigger it for a while and so far the pikmin are just humming their usual tune

i had the feeling Hagi would eventually get used again. now the question is if that heavily rumoured "hd remaster" of Thousand Year Door is also using it.

for the record, the treasures in the original game were an utter nightmare to manage. every region has a drastically different set with various unique examples of product placement. (and then there's multiple sets of completely unused ones.)

this is probably the first time it's been codensed into one single collection across the world.
IIRC the Sunshine build of Hagi supported bounding box emulation, which is useful only for TTYD and Super Paper Mario (and a handful of obscure games).

finished Pikmin 1. Now onto Pikmin 2. I don't know if I'll replay pikmin 3 after but I might...

FzMeVx-WwAA3Gcr.png
Although it is kinda neat they unprecedentedly did that, pushing a small update just to bring uniformity to what would have been the odd one out with the whole series here now…I really loved all the leaves and flower design of the old logos for 1/2/3!
They're based on the original Japanese boxes! I'm seeing a lot of people miss that with both this and Super Mario RPG; I think all three are cute.

tumblr_lskor6a1hH1qzj5ggo1_500.jpg
tumblr_lskor6a1hH1qzj5ggo2_500.jpg
I really like that they’re referencing something, they are definitely better in that respect. You can’t beat those clay(?) models they used in the collateral for 1 and 2, I wish they kept those lol

Also, I love the western box arts for 1 and 2, those shots would have made great icons too in order to match 3 and 4.

Anyone else noticed the music and SFX in Pikmin 1 are off, like higher pitch?
I hope this is brought to Nintendo's attention and patched.

Thinking of all the people who will be playing Pikmin 2 endgame for the first time, it's evil Nintendo at its purest, some true Pikmin gauntlets in there. A certain wraith is going to haunt many more people.

so the title of the first game really is officially "Pikmin 1" (rather than "Pikmin") now huh. that's weird!
this must be one of the only times Nintendo has retroactively retitled/renumbered a game, right? even the Mother 1+2 collection still refers to the first game as just "MOTHER" within the game selection menu.

the Pikmin™ 1 game.......
There is a precedent -- the Japanese cartridge re-release of Zelda 1!

22024_front.jpg

ZeldaTitleJPNES.png

I got into Pikmin with 3 on the Wii U, so I'm super excited I can finally play these! Will def be getting that physical edition.

I hadn't bought Pikmin 3 Deluxe, but now I just can't resist having all four on the Switch. Nintendo really knows how to get my money.

They could have kept both games in development for a remake using the motor of 3 or even the new from 4. That would have been amazing and it could have launched next year or even in 2025. But no... Now we have two old games upscaled in HD and quite scruffy. Pikmin deserved more.
Theoretically, they could do that with every game. But they don't consider it worth their time. So for most games, it's this or nothing.

Quoted by: Eos
I don't liked much this gyro control scheme, unlike in Pikmin 3DX, gyro only is on when you hold A or B, or keep pressing A. In Pikmin 3DX, gyro is always on. Playing with joycons in wiimote style helps, but wish controls more like Pikmin 3DX.

Quoted by: Tye
I don't liked much this gyro control scheme, unlike in Pikmin 3DX, gyro only is on when you hold A or B, or keep pressing A. In Pikmin 3DX, gyro is always on. Playing with joycons in wiimote style helps, but wish controls more like Pikmin 3DX.
I’ve yet to play Pikmin 1 + 2 on Switch since I’m waiting for the physical release, but I feel like this change is probably for the better since having the gyro always active in 3 Deluxe meant that it drifted very often, requiring you to constantly reset it with a button dedicated solely to that. With this new gyro control scheme, the drifting issues should be mitigated since the gyro is only active while you’re holding a button, like how gyro works in BotW/TotK. Though I guess they could have given the option to use either control scheme. But I just went back to play some 3 Deluxe yesterday, and I really wish they’d patch the gyro controls from Pikmin 1 + 2 (and presumably 4) into 3 Deluxe because that drift is just so annoying…

I’ve yet to play Pikmin 1 + 2 on Switch since I’m waiting for the physical release, but I feel like this change is probably for the better since having the gyro always active in 3 Deluxe meant that it drifted very often, requiring you to constantly reset it with a button dedicated solely to that. With this new gyro control scheme, the drifting issues should be mitigated since the gyro is only active while you’re holding a button, like how gyro works in BotW/TotK. Though I guess they could have given the option to use either control scheme. But I just went back to play some 3 Deluxe yesterday, and I really wish they’d patch the gyro controls from Pikmin 1 + 2 (and presumably 4) into 3 Deluxe because that drift is just so annoying…

Even with the need for recenter button, is more faster and intuitive in P3DX scheme.

Quoted by: Tye
Theoretically, they could do that with every game. But they don't consider it worth their time. So for most games, it's this or nothing.
I would agree if that would generally be the case but there are Metroid Prime Remastered, Luigi's Mansion 2, Miitopia, Zelda Link's Awakening, etc. Even some ports HD like Zelda Skyward Sword HD are working at 60fps.

I understand remaking the game with the new motor would be too much. But Nintendo could rely on an external team.

As I have said, it's just sad. But it's what we have.

Back
Top Bottom