• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pikmin 1 + 2 HD available now on the eShop, physical release coming in September

Even with the need for recenter button, is more faster and intuitive in P3DX scheme.
I’m sure it is; I’d rather have a control scheme like Pikmin 3 on Wii U where you just point to aim and don’t have to worry about drift, and I can imagine Pikmin 1 + 2 on Switch must be a bit awkward in comparison to 3 Deluxe…but if it means no drift like in 3 Deluxe, I’ll probably still prefer it overall, though the Wii U controls would obviously be the ideal. Unfortunately Nintendo, for whatever reason, chose not to put a magnetometer in the Joy-Con and Switch Pro Controllers, so we either have to deal with unbearable drift or work around it with alternate control schemes that don’t utilize gyro as frequently.

For real, I absolutely adore Pikmin 3, both on Wii U and Switch, but I just cannot get over the drift in that game on Switch. It’s so bad. I feel like I’m always fighting with the controls, and yet I vastly prefer gyro controls to the alternative, so I put up with it regardless, but I just wish gyro drift wasn’t a thing because the experience would be so much better. So I’m hoping the gyro controls for 1 + 2 (and likely 4 as well) end up being a good solution to that for me. It’s weird too, because the drift feels so much worse in Pikmin 3 Deluxe than even in other games that have constant gyro, like Splatoon 2 and 3, Skyward Sword HD, or The World Ends with You: Final Remix, for some reason.

RE: pikmin 1
I think controls work fine, but 3 has a better scheme, on Wii U
It must also be noted how the vastly superior scheme on Wii U involved Wiimote, nunchak and Gameapad, not exactly an easy to be repliclated set lol
Curious to see how 4 will fare under this point of view

Last edited:
Super awesome that they shadowdropped these, but I have no intention to double dip. Nothing beats those amazing pointer controls on the Wii versions. I hope a lot of people will get to experience Pikmin for the first time with these.

Jun 23 - English translation comic strip

if you can read japanese , comic updated today Jun 24th

During the event, you’ll have a chance to obtain three badges featuring the main characters of Pikmin 3 Deluxe, Alph, Brittany, and Charlie. Koppaite Space Suit Decor Pikmin are back as well – if you didn’t manage to meet them last year, or if you’re new, now’s the chance to make their acquaintance!

Date and Time

June 29th (Thur) 0:00 am local time through July 20th (Thur) 23:59

Did you know that in the US version of the Direct, the narrator said that "We have even more Pikmin news to share" despite what originally Takahashi said was "We also have news on Pikmin 1 and Pikmin 2 to share." I am even sure that the original Takahashi voice saying "Pikmin 1, Pikmin 2" is slightly muted in the US version.

So people who were watching UK/JP stream knew 0.5 second earlier that Pikmin 1+2 HD is coming.

image.png

Last edited:
Traded my GC copies of Pikmin and Pikmin 2 today as I’ll pick them up on Switch once the physical release comes. Slowly but surely I’m migrating my GC collection to Switch haha.

Pikmin is worth every dollar but if someone have not purchased yet, the bundle on JP eShop costs roughly $35 instead of $50 in the US. Both are a steal but just if you want to save some bucks.

Kinda getting the itch to replay Pikmin 1. I've only played it once. There's a simplicity and uniqueness to it that I really love. Don't think I'll go through 2 again though. There's a lot to love about it but it feels like a slog with all the caves at times.

Pikmin 1 first timer here. What a great, cozy, smartly designed little game. Having an amazing time.

Never played Pikmin 1 before and it was very good, I enjoyed my time with it and I'd play it again to get a better timer.
Shame the AI is so dumb though.
it was jarring to go back to pikmin 1 after so long and see just how stupid they are

even in 2, there's a lot of little QoL changes with how they react to things that make life way easier. just bunching up tighter on bridges is a huge time saver

I think it's more of a design choice. That way you have to control them more. But I think they realised it was a little pain in the ass.

E U G H

Why does the physical release have to be so far away? We got Prime Remastered physical within a month of announcement, I want to play these so bad

I wish the font and some aspects like the world map grid wasn't stretched. Reminds me of some original Xbox games on series x, very distracting.

finished Pikmin 1 today. such a banger—really tightly designed and brisk, and each of the three main stages has incredible atmosphere. it’s been many, many years since I played it and it really surprised me how relatively small each area is compared to how I’d imagined/remembered them. gonna dip into pikmin 2 for awhile next, though I’m expecting to get lost in the demo for 4 for awhile when it comes out this week.

it’s weird that the credits only list staff who worked on the new port! I think I remember nintendo doing this with other recent ports but it’s kind of unacceptable imo

It's crazy when you go back to games decades after you last beat them and find that your half-remembered impressions of them are still spot-on, despite how much you've changed in the interim.

Pikmin 1 is still an absolute treasure, even if it feels a bit like a tech demo at times. Loved every minute of it.

And I still can't stand Pikmin 2 one bit! The caves are so bland, boring and unfun, it's a game-killer. More importantly, being in the caves removes the daily rhythm of the time passing, which is a key component to the pleasure of the first Pikmin. 2 also removes the overall race against time which added the spark to keep you motivated. Without it, you're just scavenging for trash as a job. A chore.

After flying through Pikmin 1, I'm once again having to force myself through 2.

Also, 2 blatantly reusing the same map for the water level (and I'm now noticing bits of map reuse for the other levels too) - what a terrible idea. White Pikmin, too. When the idea is to save every Pikmin you can, giving one type a power that only applies when they die (and isn't that strong) - just not great.

I still maintain that Pikmin 3 is the real masterpiece of the series, though. That game was a dream.

Last edited:
I need to beat 3 deluxe before I start 2 or 1. Im currently stuck at the stage where I’m being chased by the gold gloop monster

I've never played Pikmin 2 and am considering this port required reading for caves' grand return in 4! Seems they're much more varied and exciting in 4, but I'd like to appreciate what came before

Pikmin 2 Designer: "Hmmm... how can we make these caves full of engaging and natural environmental puzzles like the overworld to keep them interesting?"
Pikmin 2 Director: "No no, you misunderstand. Just randomize the layouts, drop a ton of enemies in there and if it feels too easy have randomly spawning bomb rocks drop from the ceiling. Churn that content out!"

the only negative thing I have to say about pikmin 2 is that that horrid, mocking chant the pikmin do after you clear a cave floor is maybe the most evil bit of sound design in any nintendo game

(made even more tragic by the fact that it begins immediately after that incredible "powering down" sound effect, one of the greatest sound design achievements in any nintendo game)

I know it's not really a big deal, but I wish they just kept the name "Pikmin" instead of "Pikmin 1" -- adding a 1 to the first game of any series always just feels awkward to me.

I never finished Pikmin. I think I got between 20-25 days into it and dropped it after thinking I wouldn't get enough parts in time. I never tried Pikmin 2. It may be worth picking up both on switch soon... or I might just plug in my Wii version with the pointer controls. I know I have Pikmin on Wii, but I forget if there was a Wii version of 2 or if I only have the GameCube version.

Considering they are relatively short games, I could probably finish them soon if I set my mind to it. Pikmin 3 Deluxe was fantastic, so I'm really looking forward to Pikmin 4 next month.

I've been replaying Pikmin 2, right now I'm at last cave (Dream Den). I think people do not like caves because of layouts random generated and insane difficulty in some caves/bosses, add to this the game not have a retry option for caves, unless you restart or just go for menus without save, which should be very frustating for many players. About the controls, got used for motion controls, but P3DX and Wii versions are definitely better than this, should here have at least a option for free cursor.

To me a lot of the appeal of Pikmin 1 was having predetermined goals and maybe replaying a day with a better plan to accomplish more with fewer Pikmin deaths. But the caves throw a lot of that out the window.

Wistful Wilds in Pikmin 2 is actually the first area of Pikmin 1, a little modified. You can even see in one place the marks of onions landing of first game, neat.

Wistful Wilds in Pikmin 2 is actually the first area of Pikmin 1, a little modified. You can even see in one place the marks of onions landing of first game, neat.
Yup, it's the first and last area from Pikmin 1 combined. All Pikmin 2 maps are remixed Pikmin 1 areas except for the Valley of Repose, actually.

I've been replaying Pikmin 2, right now I'm at last cave (Dream Den). I think people do not like caves because of layouts random generated and insane difficulty in some caves/bosses, add to this the game not have a retry option for caves, unless you restart or just go for menus without save, which should be very frustating for many players. About the controls, got used for motion controls, but P3DX and Wii versions are definitely better than this, should here have at least a option for free cursor.
You also don't know how deep a cave is. Maybe it will be a short cave, maybe it will be a 10+ floor cave. And if you lose too many Pikmins, you must return to the surface, collect new Pikmins, return to the cave and re-do every floor. Pikmin 2 caves were very stressful. I played the game for the first time last year but didn't finish it.

Agree with the free cursor. I really hope Pikmin 4 is nothing like this.

You also don't know how deep a cave is. Maybe it will be a short cave, maybe it will be a 10+ floor cave. And if you lose too many Pikmins, you must return to the surface, collect new Pikmins, return to the cave and re-do every floor. Pikmin 2 caves were very stressful. I played the game for the first time last year but didn't finish it.

Agree with the free cursor. I really hope Pikmin 4 is nothing like this.

If you escape with treasures, you don't need redo the floor, you can just "skip" by go in next hole, with just one captain without Pikmins together.

It is gorgeous out after many days of shit weather

But I want to play pikmin

Fuck it, bringing pikmin to the beach and playing bloom on the way

EDIT: launching one after 4 is extraordinary, what a timeless game

Last edited:
It is gorgeous out after many days of shit weather

But I want to play pikmin

Fuck it, bringing pikmin to the beach and playing bloom on the way

EDIT: launching one after 4 is extraordinary, what a timeless game

I'm planning to replay Pikmin 1 after 4 too.

Yay this thread is active again, I didn't want to double post lol

I wrapped my playthrough of one and am onto two! It was my first time beating it. I had the original back in childhood and poured a lot of time into it, but was pretty casual in my approach as a youngun.

It held up super well after over 20 years. The port is... good not great. I adore the implementation of motion controls as a "fine-tune", and wish 3 was updated to have them as an option as I've expressed here before. The graphics are fine enough, they hold up. The stretched UI is all that bothers me, not as much of an issue as 1 as it is in 2 though. The resolution is nice and crisp though which I appreciate, 3 Deluxe still being 720p... is maddening lol. (Touch) fuzzy (graphics make me) get dizzy.

I completed my run at around 24 or 25 days with all 30 ship parts. Didn't restart for pikmin losses unless there was a mass casualty (50+) / grave error (eg. wrestling the mechanics). I did restart most first days on each land after scoping them out sans pikmin, and on the other hand burned a day or two on each place doing very short days for treasure clean up. So should I return, there's obvious room for improvement, but I'm proud of what I pulled off for a first real run!

The one thing that really stood out to me about one that made the experience special, other than the time limit, was the way it presents loss and error as a theme through the game's mechanics. Unlike 3 + 4 (Demo), I learned to accept that I'd lose pikmin from time to time due to tripping or their silly AI. Funny enough, due to the more simple AI, they feel more like "individuals" rather than just "ammo". This is especially an issue in 3, where they clump together and don't even look much like a squad. Anyhow, I understand that the later games are aiming for different themes and perspectives, so it's not necessarily a knock either way, but I definitely appreciate the differing opinions of the pikmin community more.

TLDR - gosh I freaking love this series from top to bottom, warts and all. Bless Miyamoto for keeping at it.

Last edited:
Traded my GC copies of Pikmin and Pikmin 2 today as I’ll pick them up on Switch once the physical release comes. Slowly but surely I’m migrating my GC collection to Switch haha.
Your post prompt me to go to pricecharting.com and check the prices of those 2 games (i don't own them personally).

Pikmin 1 used alone costs more than the collection, yikes hopefully you traded them for something cool.

Your post prompt me to go to pricecharting.com and check the prices of those 2 games (i don't own them personally).

Pikmin 1 used alone costs more than the collection, yikes hopefully you traded them for something cool.

I got about £60 for them which pays for the collection on Switch and something else haha

So happy to see a lot of people discovering this series for the first time!

I finished 1 in 14 days, could have shaved a few off but I love just wandering around the environments so I never felt the need to rush.

Really taking my time to savour 2 again, at the Cavern of Chaos at the moment, made the mistake of bringing 20 of each type with me, should have brought 30 reds to make the Fiery Bulborbs easier to take down but ah well.

Pikmin 1 cleared, working on Pikmin 2. I'm playing both after I cleared Pikmin 3 Deluxe earlier this year (which I loved). 1 is still very solid but there's definitely some jank they polished up later on. The structure of 2 is pretty interesting, I'm curious to see how they expand upon it later in the game.

Playing Pikmin 1 for the first time as a kid, I somehow missed the detail that bringing corpses/pellets to the onions when 100 Pikmin are on the field will just store new Pikmin inside the onions. So I thought I had to make sure there were enough free spaces on the field to make room for Pikmin sprouts. It was just another unnecessary layer of management added on by my ignorant self.

Then when Pikmin 2 came out and they clarified the same rule in game, I thought "oh thank god, that's an improvement."

I made my experience with Pikmin 1 so much more stressful for no reason.

Sad to report that the game does not support the Gamecube controller natively.

I feel like it wouldn't even be that hard to enable the choice; just list it under the options from the main menu. Modern or Classic. I've beaten the game often enough without free camera control, just swivel the camera around Olimar when I press L and I can make do like before.

Super Mario Sunshine benefitted from it, and as far as I know Metroid Prime Remastered has at least one control scheme to allow for GC controls, but I thought these gamecube ports were also going to offer...you know, support for the controller too.

Back
Top Bottom