• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Pikmin 1 + 2 HD available now on the eShop, physical release coming in September

Anyone know what the button combination for soft resetting is now? Assuming it still exists in the Switch version, that is… It was holding X+B+START for a few seconds in the original, but my partner hasn’t been able to get that to work here so we’re not sure if the button combo has just changed to something else or if it was removed entirely…

Why oh why did they not just leave the UI as 4:3 at the least

looks great in dolphin

f578fae0f3f224bb6ae70419981710e836969d38c411359ee428e58e7324847c.jpg

Sad to report that the game does not support the Gamecube controller natively.

I feel like it wouldn't even be that hard to enable the choice; just list it under the options from the main menu. Modern or Classic. I've beaten the game often enough without free camera control, just swivel the camera around Olimar when I press L and I can make do like before.

Super Mario Sunshine benefitted from it, and as far as I know Metroid Prime Remastered has at least one control scheme to allow for GC controls, but I thought these gamecube ports were also going to offer...you know, support for the controller too.
Because this is a half-emulated, half-port of the Wii version of the games. While I think GC controller supports would be nice, it's probably too much works on a smaller-scale ports like this one.

Because this is a half-emulated, half-port of the Wii version of the games. While I think GC controller supports would be nice, it's probably too much works on a smaller-scale ports like this one.
But that's the oddest thing though; if the Gamecube controller works as a USB controller with the Switch, all the game necessarily needs is an option to replace the camera control on the right joystick with the swarm pikmin function, and then to allow the L/ZL triggers to swing the camera behind Olimar (If GC only has one Z button, I have no idea if the lone L button is L or ZL on a Switch Pro controller). It's not as though it adds buttons that the GC controller doesn't have, and in my memory the analog triggers weren't used at all (it's just a nice tactile feel).

I may not be a programmer, but I can't imagine when the legwork was already done converting Wii controls to a standard controller that it would be a great deal more effort to just swap some functions around. Hell the only reason it can't work with the Switch button remapping is that it needs an option to ensure L button is always pressed down to autoforce the swarm.

Hottest of takes incoming: Gamecube controller fans, do not click.
Supporting the gamecube controller on the Wii instead of mandating the classic controllers for that gen was a mistake. I'm so tired of hearing about the gamecube controller. It was ... about functional for the generation it came out in, even if the second stick sucks, but it should have been left in the past.

Supporting the gamecube controller on the Wii instead of mandating the classic controllers for that gen was a mistake. I'm so tired of hearing about the gamecube controller. It was ... about functional for the generation it came out in, even if the second stick sucks, but it should have been left in the past.
As someone who loved the GameCube controller back in the day but will happily admit that it’s very much inferior to the Wii U and Nintendo Switch Pro Controllers and that it’s not a controller that I have any desire to use today, I must say that somehow the Wii Classic Controller (Pro or not) is much worse. It’s perhaps my least favorite Nintendo controller of all time. Those sticks and their placement feel absolutely awful. I didn’t make much use of GameCube controller support on Wii outside of Brawl (and even then I eventually came to prefer Wii Remote + Nunchuk controls for that), but I used the Classic Controller even less because it was just so unpleasant to use. The buttons and + Control Pad are fine, but those sticks…ugh…

As a Gamecube controller fan, I should not have clicked

Beat it - except for the stupid dumbell. Not grinding for that.

Definitely the weakest pikmin game by far - BUT - I will say that the Wistful Wilds is a good ending area and the caves here are the most enjoyable in the game, as they feel like the least generated and most well designed. It's a good way for the game to end.

But in general, it's a game that reuses prior maps, adds two uninspired new pikmin types that are annoying to breed, and is full of filler content. Not great.

Man-at-legs is just fucking sick though. What an amazing idea that was.

Not like a ton of Wii games actually supported it, did they? It was there for playing actual GameCube games, like the GCN memory card slots.

Definitely the weakest pikmin game by far - BUT - I will say that the Wistful Wilds is a good ending area and the caves here are the most enjoyable in the game, as they feel like the least generated and most well designed. It's a good way for the game to end.

But in general, it's a game that reuses prior maps, adds two uninspired new pikmin types that are annoying to breed, and is full of filler content. Not great.

I don't understand the hate for Pikmin 2. Wistful Wilds have good music too.

Respectfully disagree. It is arguably my favorite controller Nintendo has ever made. Have not used one for ages, but I still remember the weight, grip, layout, and buttons. Close to perfection.

---

On-topic: I'm ready to get into Pikmin 1 + 2 within a couple of months, but first...Pikmin 3 Deluxe...the first Pikmin game I ever purchased! Really looking forward to get into this franchise for the first time.

I strongly disagree with everything aside from the last bit. Man-at-legs is a top ten boss encounter if there ever was one.

Respectfully disagree. It is arguably my favorite controller Nintendo has ever made. Have not used one for ages, but I still remember the weight, grip, layout, and buttons. Close to perfection.

---

On-topic: I'm ready to get into Pikmin 1 + 2 within a couple of months, but first...Pikmin 3 Deluxe...the first Pikmin game I ever purchased! Really looking forward to get into this franchise for the first time.
I just renember the weirdly sized C-stick and the tiny D-pad. It was a functional controller but far from Nintendo's best.

No lies detected.

On a different note, I never got around to playing Pikmin 1 until this Switch release. Pikmin 2 was my first game, naturally followed by 3 and Hey!. I had a lot of fun with it. Beat it deathless in nineteen in-game days, and yes, there was so much resetting.

is this the de-facto ST for these?

anyhow, in case someone's wondering what the physical version's inlay looks like (EU version)

pikmin12incvfdq.jpg

My physical copy arrived today and I started playing Pikmin 1.

I'm having some trouble with the controls, they're a bit clunky as expected. I see there's an option for motion controls and I thought they would be for gyro aiming but it doesn't seem to do anything?

Quoted by: Tye
I'm having some trouble with the controls, they're a bit clunky as expected. I see there's an option for motion controls and I thought they would be for gyro aiming but it doesn't seem to do anything?
It is gyro aiming, but it works like Pikmin 4 rather than Pikmin 3 Deluxe in that it’s only active while you’re holding the button down to whistle or throw Pikmin.

It is gyro aiming, but it works like Pikmin 4 rather than Pikmin 3 Deluxe in that it’s only active while you’re holding the button down to whistle or throw Pikmin.

Oh, thanks, I'll try that later then. Funny they didn't think of explaining it in any way in the game.

Well shit, this is addictive.

I had only played 3 and loved it, but Pikmin 1 is a different beast, it's ruthless with it's time constraint and that really makes you think how you're going to approach the level. Having only 3 types of Pikmin is also kinda cool, makes it more streamlined and focused (although I think how the yellow Pikmin are implemented is kinda forced just to add variety).

Only two playing sessions and I'm almost done with it, it's one of those games you can't put down once you get into the groove, it's always "okay just one more day".

Never played Pikmin 2 until now…some of those Cave sub levels are dirty hard. So much so that I’m not interested in 100% completing the game anymore. Just gonna collect my 10,000 and move on.

disappointing pikmin 1 has audio issues (music pitch is way off). seems like something obvious the dev team would catch

I had only played 3 and loved it, but Pikmin 1 is a different beast, it's ruthless with it's time constraint and that really makes you think how you're going to approach the level. Having only 3 types of Pikmin is also kinda cool, makes it more streamlined and focused (although I think how the yellow Pikmin are implemented is kinda forced just to add variety).

Only two playing sessions and I'm almost done with it, it's one of those games you can't put down once you get into the groove, it's always "okay just one more day".

I dunno, it's kind of interesting to have a Pikmin type that isn't just exclusively for dealing with barriers, something more situational 🤔

I finished Pikmin 2 today 100 %. Gotta say some of the caves are really annoying, but I still had fun doing it, even though I think I prefer the tighter, more focused and completely handcrafted level design of the original game. Still, I love how many new enemies they introduced here. Not everything works well, but it's a much grander experience all in all.
Too bad I burned myself out a little bit, as I wanted to play all four games back to back in chronological order, which is why I didn't start Pikmin 4 yet. Guess I'll play one or two other games first and maybe go straight to four then.

I finished Pikmin 2 today 100 %. Gotta say some of the caves are really annoying, but I still had fun doing it, even though I think I prefer the tighter, more focused and completely handcrafted level design of the original game. Still, I love how many new enemies they introduced here. Not everything works well, but it's a much grander experience all in all.
Too bad I burned myself out a little bit, as I wanted to play all four games back to back in chronological order, which is why I didn't start Pikmin 4 yet. Guess I'll play one or two other games first and maybe go straight to four then.

3 is a much shorter game than 2 FYI, feels like a shame to skip it

It's really obvious they didn't really figure out what to do with yellow Pikmin until the second game. Most of their utility in Pikmin 1 feels a bit forced.

Back
Top Bottom