• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!
  • General system instability
    🚧 We apologise for the recent server issues. The site may be unavaliable while we investigate the problem. 🚧

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters
At the very least, I think it will be nice if they release a patch to map the button configuration of P5S to follow P5R's one... I like that you can run around and pull off ambushes as characters other than Joker.

P5S is fun in its own way. Just really hard to get into right after the 'Take your time' turn-based RPG of P5R.
I'd imagine P5S' battles are that's probably how an actual Phantom Thieves battle will be. Everything (especially the UI) is really everywhere during the battles. Absolute chaos and frantic action.

Also, I worry about Iwai. Why did he close his shop?!

To my eternal shame, I just lowered the difficulty setting to Easy. I just want to hang out more with the Phantom Thieves. Not struggle with the controls. Maybe when I finally better figure out how the gameplay works, I'll bring it back up a notch to Normal.

Don't worry I played P5S on easy as well!

I primarily play on Switch handheld so I didn't want to have to go "all in" action controls on a handheld device. It was my first "musou-like" as well. It was still a rewarding experience. I was impressed with P5R's """performance""" on Switch and was shocked at how P5S looked more "jagged" on Switch. It didn't impact my enjoyment, but I would have thought P5S would have looked better than P5R but was pleasantly surprised the opposite was true for me.

Hope you have a great time! I think the story is really good for "spin-off."

Does anyone have an estimate for how much longer this game has? I’m about 21ish hours in
just got told by Makoto to take down the mafia boss
and really loving it, but I want to finish it so I have time for Metroid soon.

Does anyone have an estimate for how much longer this game has? I’m about 21ish hours in ||
|| and really loving it, but I want to finish it so I have time for Metroid soon.
70 to 80 hours

Pausing to do Metroid and coming back later might be a good option

Does anyone have an estimate for how much longer this game has? I’m about 21ish hours in
and really loving it, but I want to finish it so I have time for Metroid soon.

You aren't even halfway done.

The "Take Your Time" on the loading screen isn't just for show.

For those of you who plays gacha games like Granblue Fantasy, there is currently a rerun of their Persona 5 collab event, P5B. The story is really quite basic but then again, it's probably impossible to recreate the Persona 5 experience in a browser game format. It tries its best though! The characters are plucked from the post-Madarame; pre-Kaneshiro timeline so no Makoto, Futaba or Haru. Probably a financial decision to save on needing to hire three more voice actresses.

Completing the event nets you Joker as a permanent SSR unit. As a dark unit, he gets to use Eiha again if he targets a light unit. The charge attack is basically All-out-attack with Ryuji, Yusuke, Ann and Morgana. Using Joker even occasionally changes the win screen to look like P5's one. A fun free unit (even if he's not going to be replacing the meta teams everyone already have)

Update

I got around to watching the Persona 5 Daybreakers animation and now I realized the reasoning behind the character picks. It's really all about no-spoilers!

Last edited:
Finding this interesting. I look at what other people do on the day that I'm on and I see people having options that are not open to me! Won't delve into why as I'm playing this near to blind. Although trying to figure out what to do with a job as the only job I have clashes with going to actual school, so I'm going to have to find something in the evening instead.

Going through the soundtrack and adding the good tunes to my library/VGM playlist for some music to listen to when I do jigsaw puzzles in the future, and I've added 80+ songs. 😅

Going through the soundtrack and adding the good tunes to my library/VGM playlist for some music to listen to when I do jigsaw puzzles in the future, and I've added 80+ songs. 😅

Yeah, same.

Playing through all the Xenoblades last year and Persona 5 Royal was like a feast of JRPG soundtrack goodness.

Everything I'm going to say is going to be a spoiler... but I really just want to rant about my progress in Persona 5 Strikers so far.

I think I'm reaching the endgame for P5S. It's time to fight a wannabe god again!

I find myself preferring to use the other characters instead of Joker. I think it's simply... I really like the other quirky characters over Joker. Strangely enough, I named Joker 'Kamui Ichinose' back in P5R without knowing the villain character in P5S first. Pure coincidence but still funny. In my version of P5 they could have been cousins thrice removed or something.

Zenkichi's Persona awakening gave me chills. It has been a while (kinda) since the last awakening and damn, that hit me. Zenkichi is a cool character even if I'll stick with the OG Phantom Thieves most of the time. Sophia's awakening is crazy too.

My romance choice in P5R had been Takemi but since she isn't in this sequel, I happily flirted with Haru instead. However, having save-restarted a couple of times just to see all the options, I think that the best and funniest choices had to be choosing to hang out with Ryuji and Yusuke whenever the choice comes about. Bros gotta to stick together with each other and compliment on each others' gains.

Damn, I'm enjoying my time with the Phantom Thieves. I'm going to be so sad to actually have to say goodbye to them at the end of this game.

Just checking in to say this game still fucking rules and that I’ve eaten curry for dinner 9 out of the last 10 evenings, so it’s been on my mind!

More screaming about P5S. And maybe P5 as a franchise in general.

I beat the final boss! It's in Easy mode so it was kinda of a pushover when you can just whale on it with Yusuke and Ryuji's basic attacks. Just me and my bros kicking God's arse together.

cfb04881f5abfe1906c88618213044db58d3c1c0.jpg

This is from P5R. They don't let you take screenshots from the final P5S dungeon onwards.

The gameplay was starting to click with me and part of me wished that I persevered in 'Normal' mode but I think at the end of the day, it's the story beats that really count. I doubt other games will try to do this odd mixture of musou + RPG gameplay so no transferable skills here for me to 'improve'.

For anyone who had put a little bit of time distance between playing P5R and P5S, this is a wonderful reunion. The overarching doomsday, Maruki-lite story part is... ok. But the real meat of the game is the entire group chemistry of the Phantom Thieves interacting with each other casually. Rather than in P5R where they don't really seem to interact with each other other than through Joker. I dig that. There's so much chemistry between everyone. I'll ship Yusuke and Futaba. Ryuji, my boy, had good pushover vibes with Ann and Makoto too. Ah, Ryuji my boy. I'll totally ship you and Joker (with Yusuke as the weird third wheel) if the game allows me to. It helps that Takemi is not in this game...

5a7cccfb6eb0701fe1302dca9c6996a80630e3cb.jpg

Just Joker hanging out with my bros (because Takemi isn't here)

Sophia and Zenkichi adds a lot to the story too. If they ever do ANOTHER story sequel for the Phantom Thieves corner of the Persona universe, I'll get it. Even if it is a fighting game or some obscure puzzle genre. Please be on the Switch (or Steam)

On another silly note, I spot my friend's name credited as a Character Designer. I should get him to autograph my P5S box.

As a whole, P5R and P5S have been a wonderful introduction to the Atlus SMT games for me. I've completed Devil Survivor and partially played Strange Journey before. But P5 with all its anime tropes got me hard. Now, I'm itching to play SMT V and maybe... even P3 or P4G.

dc2a7d56fae15c45a0e715b026e43a7f96bdb430.jpg

Please compliment Ryuji whenever you can. He deserves it.

Starting Persona 5 for the first time in any form today! I found it pretty funny that the "player enter their name" screen is signing a confession to a crime. I also now understand why this and the FE fandom have a big overlap - the unironic embrace of 'friendship is magic' and a ton of shared English VAs.

My first time signing the confession, I input the name in full caps.
An action that I regretted 20 hours in because whenever anyone calls out to Joker's real name, they SHOUT IT.

My first time signing the confession, I input the name in full caps.
An action that I regretted 20 hours in because whenever anyone calls out to Joker's real name, they SHOUT IT.
I did that too, and it was only when watching other people play the game and have their name be normal that I realized I goofed.

They're really bashing me over the head with "you're a delinquent and no one likes you" at the beginning. I hope it ends soon because it's starting to grate.
It calms down, don't worry. Just might be a little while.

They're really bashing me over the head with "you're a delinquent and no one likes you" at the beginning. I hope it ends soon because it's starting to grate.
Are you me? I just started and it's the same thing for me.
Give it a few hours. They want to establish how ostracized you are right now because that plays in later, but it’ll stop being a plot point to any extent very soon.

Yeah, it's to put you in the shoes of the main character. It's supposed to be grating.

Keep going. There will be catharsis I promise!

Is there any way to A) make Morgana talk less in battles and B) choose volume levels for music, SFX and voices?

"ATTACK KAMOSHIDA KEEP HIM BUSY" x20 boss fight is done. I like but don't love the game so far, I have a feeling it's gonna pick up soon though.

"ATTACK KAMOSHIDA KEEP HIM BUSY" x20 boss fight is done. I like but don't love the game so far, I have a feeling it's gonna pick up soon though.
The first palace and intro to the game is good, but it is a lot of introduction and getting you used to things and taking things slowly in the beginning. The game steadily opens up more and more as it goes, especially after this, so that will definitely pick up!

I'm about 35 hours in, thoughts so far:

Pros: Stylish presentation, decent battle system, exploring the city and various locations is great, the dungeons are fairly interesting, lots of activities to do, good music

Cons: Characters nag you constantly in relation to timed events, battles can be a bit slow with multiple enemies, irritating railroading in first 10 hours, so-so on characters, subpar treatment of female characters

On that last note, while I wouldn't say the game is outright sexist its treatment of female characters especially Ann has me raising my eyebrows at times. Ryuji keeps talking to me about how as guys we want to order around maids or whatever and I'm like... yeah I'm good on that. I'm assuming things will probably change for the positive in the future since I only have one female party member though.

I'm about 35 hours in, thoughts so far:

Pros: Stylish presentation, decent battle system, exploring the city and various locations is great, the dungeons are fairly interesting, lots of activities to do, good music

Cons: Characters nag you constantly in relation to timed events, battles can be a bit slow with multiple enemies, irritating railroading in first 10 hours, so-so on characters, subpar treatment of female characters

On that last note, while I wouldn't say the game is outright sexist its treatment of female characters especially Ann has me raising my eyebrows at times. Ryuji keeps talking to me about how as guys we want to order around maids or whatever and I'm like... yeah I'm good on that. I'm assuming things will probably change for the positive in the future since I only have one female party member though.
Ann is often used for random sexual nonsense or ogling, and that will keep happening, but I would say on the whole the game gets better about that as it goes.

Character-wise I was in a similar spot to you at this time, but the next big chunk of game REALLY improved on the character front for me personally. And some of the earlier characters are more slow burns; I eventually came to love Ryuji to death but it took me a while to get there, for example.

Honestly a lot of characters (especially those that join you in your party) kinda started out as "Ugh. I can't stand that idiot" but after a while they really grew on me. Yeah, Ryuji is an idiot... but he's our idiot :D

Akechi might be the hardest I've ever 180'ed on a character. Went from hating the bastard to him being of my favorite fictional characters.

Played an hour of Tycoon with this on the music player, it's so damn good. Thieves Den is a fun little place.

I am so not sure about what to think about it.
On one hand, it is more Persona 5. From the art direction, the presentation and the music, everything looks familiar (other than the characters)
On the other hand.... there's a nagging sense that this is just a bootleg P5.

I like my gacha games but I'm not sure how that will work in a P5 context. Do you gacha characters or do you gacha the shadows?

And people doubted me when I said they weren't done making more P5 spinoff. I don't play mobile games, and gacha is a big no for me. Sadly can't see this getting a real console release.

The new characters seem like prime DLC picks for P5 Arena if/when that happens

also that new velvet room attendent 🤤

I want to pretend like I don't care about this because it's a mobile game, but I think it looks great- particularly the Soejima art.

I don't even care that it seems to be a remix of P5's story. Wonder if it will be localized?

This has been in the works/rumored for ages, but I pretty much just ignored it due to mobile nonsense. If it actually ends up being good I might dive in, but I kind of doubt it.

Multiple times this game feels like it's going to embrace LGBT themes and then chickens out, it's frustrating. But I hear this game already improved a lot on actively homophobic scenes from the vanilla game, so that's a positive.

I've been playing P5R Switch here and there, slowly continuing my way through the game, which works super well for me right now.
Being so content with doing it like that has also affirmed my stance that I won't bother with P6 unless I can play it like this, that is: on a handheld. Guess I'll be waiting for the Switch 2 version of Persona 6, then, haha. These games just don't work for me any other way, it seems. I'm definitely enjoying my current P5R playthrough more than I've ever enjoyed my time with P5 vanilla on the PS4.

Back
Top Bottom