• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Furukawa Speaks! We discuss the announcement of the Nintendo Switch Successor and our June Direct Predictions on the new episode of the Famiboards Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters
I played SMTV right after P5R. I wish there were actual dungeons as good as P5R and a bit more focus on the human-drama, some of the side NPCs were barely characters at all.
I would love something right in the middle of Persona and SMT to be honest.
I’d say SMT4 is probably closer to what you’re looking for. Maybe SH2? Except SH2 kinda sucks…

If one of the things you loved about Persona 5 is the great dungeons and you want good dungeons for the love of god do not play Soul Hackers 2, that's all I will say
Yes lol, it’s a dungeon crawler that emphasizes dungeons (so far so good!), which turn out to be all terrible except the final one in the game.

I feel misled.

Yes lol, it’s a dungeon crawler that emphasizes dungeons (so far so good!), which turn out to be all terrible except the final one in the game.

I feel misled.
It's (I think?) the only Atlus game that has ever disappointed me that hard. Some I haven't loved, but none have been as mediocre to bad as SH2.

It's (I think?) the only Atlus game that has ever disappointed me that hard. Some I haven't loved, but none have been as mediocre to bad as SH2.
Yeah like usually when I don’t like an Atlus game it’s more, it’s great at what it is, it just didn’t appeal to my tastes.

Soul Hackers 2 appealed to my tastes and turned out to be terrible anyway. The first and only Atlus disappointment for me.

Soul Hackers 2 being dogshit stung extra hard since the original Soul Hackers is what got me into Atlus games in the first place

Yeah like usually when I don’t like an Atlus game it’s more, it’s great at what it is, it just didn’t appeal to my tastes.

Soul Hackers 2 appealed to my tastes and turned out to be terrible anyway. The first and only Atlus disappointment for me.
Even the music is pretty up-and-down (looking at you AGAIN, dungeons for the most part), but it does have some bangers:

The guitar solo in the boss theme is chef's kiss

And this part of town is a bop:

I’m one of those casuals who can’t get into SMT but adore Persona.

People meme on the “Persona without the heart” critique from IGN(I think), but that’s actually a helpful criticism for me who was looking at SMT V coming from Persona. Pure gameplay is never enough for me I usually need a narrative and cast of characters I want to vibe with.

SMT seems like it prioritizes (probably excellent) gameplay above all else.

I enjoy the Persona games but still have never touched an SMT game. I keep meaning to but tbh I wouldn’t know where to start.
Either of the Switch titles are fine to start with imo. You could also go with IV on 3DS.

If you want Switch, and hate random encounters, go with V though.

I enjoy the Persona games but still have never touched an SMT game. I keep meaning to but tbh I wouldn’t know where to start.

Start with 3 if you don't mind that it's a bit oldschool, it's the best one.

5 is also awesome and is more modern and beginner friendly.

Gonna go ahead and plug Tokyo Mirage Sessions. Definitely worth it if you want something very different from Atlus.

Even the music is pretty up-and-down (looking at you AGAIN, dungeons for the most part), but it does have some bangers:

The guitar solo in the boss theme is chef's kiss

And this part of town is a bop:

See, the soundtrack is actually the one area where I think SH2 was an unmitigated win (well, that and the combat system).

Like:

This is the music for one shop, one shop that if you are playing the game well, you'll be visiting a handful of times over the course of the game lol. Why is such a great song just randomly assigned to one low key shop???

See, the soundtrack is actually the one area where I think SH2 was an unmitigated win (well, that and the combat system).

Like:

This is the music for one shop, one shop that if you are playing the game well, you'll be visiting a handful of times over the course of the game lol. Why is such a great song just randomly assigned to one low key shop???

Yeah that one's great, and so is the Arms Shop track. My issue with the soundtrack is that probably the two most boring, least interesting tracks in the game are the music that plays in the dungeons and the Axis, AKA the two places you'll probably be spending by far the most time in. It's a really weird choice, and I wish that they would have had more tracks for different dungeons, or just something better for them. Because nearly every other track in the game is great, like you mentioned!

Just wanted to share that I love the last surprise song, and to me it is the best of the game and one of the best of the games I ever played.

Just that. The Last Surprise.

The changes they add to Mementos are cool, like the music and dark Mementos. That scared the hell out of me lol, thankfully reached a gate right after that floor.
Just wanted to share that I love the last surprise song, and to me it is the best of the game and one of the best of the games I ever played.

Just that. The Last Surprise.
I love playing persona with the goofy costumes (the featherman outfits are a favorite of mine), but often I’ll change out of them just to hear last surprise. A shame it wasn’t included in Smash.

Just keep chugging along. Any tips from the Persona Pros here for the final boss so I'm strategically prepared?
I hear baton passing is an absolute must.
  1. Baton pass the shit out of the fight
  2. Make sure you are at least level 90 across the board (but ideally you should be 94-95 or above)
  3. Make sure you have like 2-3 hours free before you start the fight, if everything goes well, it's gonna take that long (not because the fight itself is 2-3 hours long, although it is very long with all the phases, but because the fight plus cutscenes make a long gauntlet you can't save in the middle of, and should not ideally stop in the middle of either)

In the midst of P5R now. Just completed Shido's palace thinking that I've beaten the vanilla part of the game.
Wasn't expecting to be stuck in the mementos and probably fighting the collective will of society. Darn it! I almost max out Makoto's confidant.

I'm assuming I'm still able to complete all the confidants (and memento requests) later when I get into the Royal content? I think I should have hit all the requirements to get there. I don't want to end up regretting spending more time with the bros, Ryuji and Yusuke rather than trying to flirt.

Finished the game. It was really good. I'll write up some extended thoughts later.

I BELIEVE
Wooo! Congrats! The end of this game is just... SO much emotion and musical goodness. There's:

I Believe, naturally.

But one of my favorite little things in the game that's less talked about is on the very last day when you're walking around Tokyo and saying goodbye to everyone you've been friends with, all the places you've been living, and all the little NPCs and confidants you've been spending time with for 120+ hours. All while "Sunset Bridge" plays in the background - wonderfully bittersweet, and happy-yet-sad. I nearly teared up when I got to that part in my Royal playthrough.

In the midst of P5R now. Just completed Shido's palace thinking that I've beaten the vanilla part of the game.
Wasn't expecting to be stuck in the mementos and probably fighting the collective will of society. Darn it! I almost max out Makoto's confidant.

I'm assuming I'm still able to complete all the confidants (and memento requests) later when I get into the Royal content? I think I should have hit all the requirements to get there. I don't want to end up regretting spending more time with the bros, Ryuji and Yusuke rather than trying to flirt.
Yes, you get roughly three weeks of extra free time with the Royal content.

Finished the game. It was really good. I'll write up some extended thoughts later.

I BELIEVE
It's time to unveil the hype you've been waiting for

OK, I think I'm almost done.
I'm currently gaining levels in the memento before getting to final boss.

I romanced almost all girls. I don't really understand why you shouldn't act like a harem monster, the perks are too good to ignore.

OK, I think I'm almost done.
I'm currently gaining levels in the memento before getting to final boss.

I romanced almost all girls. I don't really understand why you shouldn't act like a harem monster, the perks are too good to ignore.

You still get the perks by keeping things platonic with everyone.

Very happy I binned off playing this on Series X to get in on Switch (£35 from Argos, lots of cheap Switch games around at the moment there). Yeah, the image quality is really nice on Series X and my handheld mode is probably more akin to what the game was like on PS3. BUT. I'm not finding a lot of fixed TV time nowadays and my Switch Lite is coming back into vogue, meaning this game has sprung into life. Plus I'm getting the feeling that it is going to enjoy being played in bursts aka "what the Switch is good at".

Also thank you devs for including the FFWD feature on dialogue. I got right back to where I was super quick!

I'm looking at these DLC Personas just in case I want to cheese the final boss fight, and my goodness, they are incredibly overpowered. I could have had these from day one? :ROFLMAO:

Today is Judgment Day! Do you think the Phantom Thieves will select Maruki's reality, or will they reject it?

Today is Judgment Day! Do you think the Phantom Thieves will select Maruki's reality, or will they reject it?
Nah, I’ll just not answer and get stuck in the attic sleeping forever. Much better.

But seriously that deadline failure is so creepy.

Ho snap I didn't realized the date lol
It's fun that I'm totally synchronized, now is the day to put an end to the time I spent with this game.
I won the last battle yesterday evening but put the game in sleep mode because too tired and now time to watch the follow up today.

Very happy I binned off playing this on Series X to get in on Switch (£35 from Argos, lots of cheap Switch games around at the moment there). Yeah, the image quality is really nice on Series X and my handheld mode is probably more akin to what the game was like on PS3. BUT. I'm not finding a lot of fixed TV time nowadays and my Switch Lite is coming back into vogue, meaning this game has sprung into life. Plus I'm getting the feeling that it is going to enjoy being played in bursts aka "what the Switch is good at".

Also thank you devs for including the FFWD feature on dialogue. I got right back to where I was super quick!
On replay I skip almost all the Sae interrogation scenes lol. They are by far the worst offender in this game when it comes to repeating exposition that the player already knows.

I was watching a stream of vanilla P5, and man, Royal is such an improvement.

I wonder what many of the folks who started straight with Royal would think of vanilla P5 if they had to go back to it.

I was watching a stream of vanilla P5, and man, Royal is such an improvement.

I wonder what many of the folks who started straight with Royal would think of vanilla P5 if they had to go back to it.
The weird thing is, despite knowing there’s tons of changes for the better, in my head they’re not that different (other than the obvious changes and new content of course). I bet it would be really strange going back to the original now.

Both Persona 4 and 5 both have me firmly believing the Japanese education system is just teachers spouting off random lectures about whatever happens to pop into their heads.

The weird thing is, despite knowing there’s tons of changes for the better, in my head they’re not that different (other than the obvious changes and new content of course). I bet it would be really strange going back to the original now.
Yeah, the sheer extent of mechanical improvements and across the board updates can be really hard to keep track of since in the player's mind, how the game plays now is going to functionally replace how it used to in vanilla

tumblr_mybbqup5g81qaedvuo8_r1_250.gif

At least, the final boss fight.

And now, I'm done. What a truly wonderful game. I almost didn't get it, and yet I am so glad I did. What a ride it's been since October. Clearly it resonated with me because I'm getting all choked up. Thank you thank you thank you.

Since finishing Persona 5 in December I've thought about it almost every day. I loved it so much. I also miss it so much.

Playing P5 as late as I did is a bummer in a lot of ways because it seems a lot of the positivity around the game has largely died down. In some cases replaced with outright negativity. I know it's easier to notice flaws with time, and I wouldn't dream of saying every criticism is unwarranted. However, I would have thought with the critical reception P5 has the fanbase would be more enthusiastic about it. (Playing through the multiplatform release with everyone here was wonderful though!)

My easiest comparison to my late-the-party P5 situation was when I got into Fire Emblem: Awakening late and then discovered a large portion of the "hardcore" Fire Emblem fans had turned on it and everyone who initially loved it already moved on from discussion spaces. It was kind of a bummer.

All this to say: When P6 comes around I need to hop on it immediately so I don't miss out on the initial release magic with everyone else like I did with P5! :p

I, no joke, had a dream last night that I immediately started NG+ today.
But no, I've got that tentatively scheduled for the first day of Autumn.

Jumping from P5R to P5S immediately almost gave me whiplash.

All the button configurations had changed. The 'save' button for P5R is the 'menu' button for P5S and vice versa. Everything looks and feels quite similar but also... not. The gameplay changed so much. I thought I was decent in Age of Calamity but P5S proved that I suck in action musou.

To my eternal shame, I just lowered the difficulty setting to Easy. I just want to hang out more with the Phantom Thieves. Not struggle with the controls. Maybe when I finally better figure out how the gameplay works, I'll bring it back up a notch to Normal.

The story is really fun so far though!

Jumping from P5R to P5S immediately almost gave me whiplash.

All the button configurations had changed. The 'save' button for P5R is the 'menu' button for P5S and vice versa. Everything looks and feels quite similar but also... not. The gameplay changed so much. I thought I was decent in Age of Calamity but P5S proved that I suck in action musou.

To my eternal shame, I just lowered the difficulty setting to Easy. I just want to hang out more with the Phantom Thieves. Not struggle with the controls. Maybe when I finally better figure out how the gameplay works, I'll bring it back up a notch to Normal.

The story is really fun so far though!
I liked the fun character hangouts and just getting to spend more time with the crew, even if the plot and a lot of things are way more lightweight, but I really found the gameplay to be a slog in Strikers. I probably should’ve moved to easy because it just wasn’t much fun on higher difficulties and felt like a grind.

Sophia is wonderful, though!

I wish P5S came out later so it could have had more direct references to Royal

hope 5 arena does more direct references to royal

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom