• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters
shadows when they see you in a dungeon
running-away-man.gif

seriously i thought you could outrun them but nope

Pretty sure Soul Hackers 2 sold much less than Persona 5 Strikers sales on Switch alone. Strikers, not Royal.

Which makes me think, we could get a SH2 announcement for Switch any moment now, they need to make some money off of it.
It's not happening, the game barely runs on Xbox One/PS4

It's not happening, the game barely runs on Xbox One/PS4
Lack of optimization. We had countless of Switch ports of games that performed worse on X1/PS4. A good port studio can do wonders. (I hope they hire Engine or QLOC).

Soul Hackers 2 is not worth the effort (and I actually liked Soul Hackers 2)
why would switch owners get persona at home when the actual persona is right there
Let's be honest, Switch owners will eat it up. Nothing can stop this SMT hype train, Soul Hackers 2 will benefit greatly from current popularity of the genre.

Beside P3P-4G, Soul Hackers 2 could be Atlus's only Switch release next year. I'd want ports of recent Vanillaware titles but I'm not sure how possible they are.

Let's be honest, Switch owners will eat it up. Nothing can stop this SMT hype train, Soul Hackers 2 will benefit greatly from current popularity of the genre.

Beside P3P-4G, Soul Hackers 2 could be Atlus's only Switch release next year. I'd want ports of recent Vanillaware titles but I'm not sure how possible they are.
ha no. unless it's a bespoke version that fixes all the problems it's gonna be a mid game dropping in a console with like a thousand great jrpgs

ha no. unless it's a bespoke version that fixes all the problems it's gonna be a mid game dropping in a console with like a thousand great jrpgs
This was my opinion after seeing a lot of post release reviews and impressions. Next year has some great rpgs and sadly at best SH2 is gonna be a late 60$ port that barely makes a dent in the ecosystem.

Nah, I think the stronger than expected success of Atlus games the last few years (almost all of them Persona and spin-offs, one mainline SMT) has inflated people's perception of their IP and games. Good Megaten games were niche cult underground hits back in the day; that's the best SH2 could haver hoped for if it had been good at being a good Megaten title, but it doesn't even do that convincing a job at that. It has its merits, it's not a bad game, but there's a reason it didn't become a WoM hit on other platforms (at least two of which are great JRPG audiences, if nothing else) - it is simply not very good. Being on Switch will not magically fix the bulk of its problems, which are to do with design decisions more than anything else.

Nah, I think the stronger than expected success of Atlus games the last few years (almost all of them Persona and spin-offs, one mainline SMT) has inflated people's perception of their IP and games. Good Megaten games were niche cult underground hits back in the day; that's the best SH2 could haver hoped for if it had been good at being a good Megaten title, but it doesn't even do that convincing a job at that. It has its merits, it's not a bad game, but there's a reason it didn't become a WoM hit on other platforms (at least two of which are great JRPG audiences, if nothing else) - it is simply not very good. Being on Switch will not magically fix the bulk of its problems, which are to do with design decisions more than anything else.
They're not skipping Switch after January next year. They've got to release something. And I'm talking about Sega as a whole, not just Atlus. Late ports are the safest bets and the most recent they can do is Soul Hackers 2.

As for its potential sales... I totally expect third party support for Switch to wane down a little around summer next year (especially if Drake is a no show), they can find a release window to release the game without getting threatened by another JRPG. Switch owners are always hungry for new and modern JRPG's, if they managed to put Ninokuni 2 into eShop top 10, they can do the same for SH2.

They're not skipping Switch after January next year. They've got to release something. And I'm talking about Sega as a whole, not just Atlus. Late ports are the safest bets and the most recent they can do is Soul Hackers 2.

As for its potential sales... I totally expect third party support for Switch to wane down a little around summer next year (especially if Drake is a no show), they can find a release window to release the game without getting threatened by another JRPG. Switch owners are always hungry for new and modern JRPG's, if they managed to put Ninokuni 2 into eShop top 10, they can do the same for SH2.
As of right now, Atlus has no project announced for any platform beyond January 2023. We can speculate on RE:Fantasy and EO Next eventually existing, but that's about it.

Whatever their next major announcement is, I think it will include Switch. If they had an SH2 port for the Switch in the works before the other versions released, I am sure it will happen (sunk costs and everything). However, if not, then I don't see it.

NNK2 was also a bigger and better received hit than SH2 on its initial launch, don't forget that either.

As of right now, Atlus has no project announced for any platform beyond January 2023. We can speculate on RE:Fantasy and EO Next eventually existing, but that's about it.

Whatever their next major announcement is, I think it will include Switch. If they had an SH2 port for the Switch in the works before the other versions released, I am sure it will happen (sunk costs and everything). However, if not, then I don't see it.

NNK2 was also a bigger and better received hit than SH2 on its initial launch, don't forget that either.
If they have anything for Switch for the first half of the year, we should hear about it very soon. They announced 13 Sentinels at the end of November and Persona Arena Ultimax in December last year.

I still expect Soul Hackers 2 for the first half of the next year, announcement should come either in December or January (or even February Direct). Maybe Dragon's Crown, Odin Sphere or Persona dancing games if we're lucky enough. They'll port any recent Atlus game they have, sooner or later.

Since I am playing with japanese va, this trailer made me realize that no matter the language Morgana is still annoying lol. Not Teddy levels but still. Given that SH2 and even SMT5 (kinda, way better) had mascots I hope P6 has a more level headed one.
I never found Morgana to be too bad, I actually rather like him overall. He has his moments of being annoying, but nothing major IMO. Nothing remotely close to Teddie. He's probably the best JRPG mascot character that I can think of (at least of the ones that actually talk).
I've just finished the first Palace, but so far the main thing I'm finding annoying about Morgana is how much of a creep he is towards Ann, he's fine otherwise

Three hours in, and this is kind of a slow start, but I actually love it for that? Often I stay away from games like this because I don't want to be overwhelmed, and everything being drip fed to me is right up my alley.

(Edit: bit of a passionate ramble incoming, sorry, haha)

I've played the opening 4-5 ish hours more than half a dozen times already at this point; but it does really feel refreshing on Switch for some reason.
Like, the "take your time" loading slogan always almost felt like an insult playing the game on a purely stationary console. Being able to fuckin' take my time (or rather, having relaxation/ease of mind) was what I was lacking when frantically carving out a time slot in my day to force myself in front of the TV to somehow get in my weekly two to three hours of P5 on the PlayStation. This was the complete opposite of what the game told me it wanted me to do. It wasn't great, let me tell you.

It's just like, once again, this version of a Persona game proves to me that these games simply work best on handhelds (for me). Now I can actually do what the game tells me to: take my time and fully immerse myself in the world, in the slow but steady build-up to a rollercoaster of events and character developments.
This is great, so much better feeling than it ever did these last few years with P5.

On a slightly more negative note, then, it also means I won't bother with P6 if it's not on a handheld. I love this IP, but it simply doesn't work for me in the home console/stationary format. I'll be waiting for the Drake/Deck 2/whatever handheld systems ports if it releases as a PS exclusive again. No sense in trying to force myself to vibe with these experiences in a format in which they simply don't work for me.

Tl;dr basically: JRPGs once again prove to be perfect for handheld gaming; and Persona Is Perfect 4 Switch™ lol
It's just all the more impactful in the case of a series I like as much as I do with this one in particular.

I played through a good 2/3s of the vanilla release of P5 back when it came out and dropped it based on the dungeons being overly long (my refusal to do them in more than one day probably had something to do with that sentiment) and bland localization (why do all of my party members sound the same)

starting it again now, I'm trying to actually take my time and am realizing a lot of little things that I didn't the first time through. the high-fiving animation between the MC and Ryuji is great. future party members hanging out in the world, like makoto in the library is cool to see. that baseball mini-game is pretty fun. the whole thing is also a lot more thematically coherent than I remember, but given that I'm only through the first palace, there is plenty of time for that change. glad I'm giving it another chance

Remember when I wouldn’t shut up about it and kept bugging you to play it
Honestly, I would have liked it on Ps4, and then put it away abruptly after maybe 5 hours. Same thing happened with Dragon Quest 11.

Honestly I really need some flexibility to play JRPGs like this. With either the Switch or Xbox version, you get so much more flexibility to play a game like this. So I can put some time when I have a break at work, or am up and about. It works out really well.

I was actually planning on "demoing" the Xbox Gamepass version then playing on Switch. But Xcloud is in a fantastic state for an RPG like this, and the fact I can play it on my phone is fantastic.

It's the only way I can get through a game like this, so I am so glad I waited.

I've just finished the first Palace, but so far the main thing I'm finding annoying about Morgana is how much of a creep he is towards Ann, he's fine otherwise
There’s a few annoying things with him, but nothing too major IMO. The Ann creepiness never bothered me much because it felt… entirely unrealistic, I guess? He’s a cat, after all. Still, Ann does get used for random sexualization too often, no argument there. Maybe I’m just mentally comparing Morgana to Teddie, and compared to what Teddie becomes later on Morgana just isn’t even in the same zip code, much less ballpark.

There’s a few annoying things with him, but nothing too major IMO. The Ann creepiness never bothered me much because it felt… entirely unrealistic, I guess? He’s a cat, after all. Still, Ann does get used for random sexualization too often, no argument there. Maybe I’m just mentally comparing Morgana to Teddie, and compared to what Teddie becomes later on Morgana just isn’t even in the same zip code, much less ballpark.
Oh for sure he's not the only part of the game that's creepy towards Ann. My only real complaint about the game so far is that its treatment of women in general is quite poor, which is quite ironic given that the game also (rightfully) condemns Kamoshida's treatment of women

Aside from that, this game rules and I completely get the hype. 10 hours in and I'm hooked

It shouldn't be that hard to port the Vanillaware games that Atlus published since all of them besides 13 Sentinels ran on the Vita. There is also GrimGrimoire OnceMore coming to the Switch next year.

Made it to 5/16 and thus the best dialogue option in the game:

"Time to button mash."
Hmm…. not sure it’s the BEST in the entire game but it’s way up there. I’d have to make a list of my favorites. ”Savage” with NPC Mishima is another great one

Hmm…. not sure it’s the BEST in the entire game but it’s way up there. I’d have to make a list of my favorites. ”Savage” with NPC Mishima is another great one
Honestly there's a lot of good ones. That one is definitely up there. Actually, there was one on 5/13 that I love too: "Tell me more about these snacks..."

Honestly there's a lot of good ones. That one is definitely up there. Actually, there was one on 5/13 that I love too: "Tell me more about these snacks..."
I love how sassy, silly, and playful you can make Joker from his responses. Even as a silent protag and even if they have no effect on anything, it really gives him so much personality

Oh for sure he's not the only part of the game that's creepy towards Ann. My only real complaint about the game so far is that its treatment of women in general is quite poor, which is quite ironic given that the game also (rightfully) condemns Kamoshida's treatment of women
Ann as a character is a mess for this reason for the entire game. A case of the developers trying to have their cake and eat it too. It frames Kamoshida's (and other adults) behaviour towards Ann as problematic because of power dynamics (teacher and adult) not because of the acts themselves and lets the non-adult characters be just as creepy without comment. The treatment Ann gets by men even factors into her Confidant storyline heavily, and yet the party members who indulge in this behaviour are never examined for it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes they even subvert it in a funny way

Ann intentionally wearing loads of clothes to Yusuke's house in order to avoid posing nude is a genuinely great gag

but most of the time the writers just let the boys be creepy about Ann.

Ann as a character is a mess for this reason for the entire game. A case of the developers trying to have their cake and eat it too. It frames Kamoshida's (and other adults) behaviour towards Ann as problematic because of power dynamics (teacher and adult) not because of the acts themselves and lets the non-adult characters be just as creepy without comment. The treatment Ann gets by men even factors into her Confidant storyline heavily, and yet the party members who indulge in this behaviour are never examined for it. Sometimes it works, and sometimes they even subvert it in a funny way

Ann intentionally wearing loads of clothes to Yusuke's house in order to avoid posing nude is a genuinely great gag

but most of the time the writers just let the boys be creepy about Ann.
Some of it is especially jarring because a lot of the most egregious moments of Ann creep are in the anime cutscenes, which always felt a bit at odds for Joker especially as he is in the rest of the game to me.

I do LOVE the "Ann wears a million layers of clothing" scene to death, it's great. That entire section with Yusuke is one that works so much better on a replay, because I think that the writers were trying to make him seem intentionally creepy and mysterious at first to play off of Kamoshida and make you leery of him as a "new" person of unknown motives when you first encounter him. But coming back to those sections once you know Yusuke, how he is about art and aesthetic above everything, and how he's just a giant goofball who is not remotely interested in Ann sexually, it works a lot better IMO.

Should you always try and talk Personas into joining you? I don't really see a downside to not doing so, as you still get the XP, right?

Started playing this today and spent 2 hours on it. I'm familiar with P5 after playing the vanilla version back when it came out and enjoying that a lot. Damn it's a slog coming back to it though, basically a visual novel for the first several hours.

Should you always try and talk Personas into joining you? I don't really see a downside to not doing so, as you still get the XP, right?
I thought you didn't get the XP, but I may be mixing up my SMTs.

(Either way I'm on Merciless so it's hard to negotiate with corpses)

Does "already have them" include "had them in the past but fused them for new stuff"? Like the fairies I keep running into. I already had one, fused it, should I get another?
Most of the times it's not worth it, especially since you can buy them again from the Compendium.

So uh, does this game just not exist in a non-steelbook version?? I had the game preordered at Best Buy and only just got around to picking it up today, but I ended up returning it because it only had the steelbook case, not a normal case… I figured it’d be like Persona 5 Strikers where the preorders came with a bonus steelbook case in addition to the game in a normal case, but no… Guess I’m not going to pick it up until it’s available in a normal case, if that ever happens… Or if it is already available I’m not finding it, for some reason.

EDIT: Oh, I guess there is a standard edition that comes with a normal case, but Best Buy just doesn’t carry it for whatever reason…

Last edited:
Persona 5 Royal is so well suited to the Switch it even enhances Mementos. It's so chill to just do that sort of on auto pilot while you have something on the TV on in the background.

I didn't remember how if Joker falls down is game over even when your other party members are up and healthy and you are full of revive meds... kinda absurd tbh.

seems like p5r is condemned to hang at second place on the eshop charts thanks to a certain plumber. i guess third parties were right about nintendo games overshadowing them /s

Stupid question, you have to convince Demons to join you to register them right? Then I can just discard them and summon them if I need them for a fusion?

Stupid question, you have to convince Demons to join you to register them right? Then I can just discard them and summon them if I need them for a fusion?
That is correct. Pro-tip; level them up for a bit so they will learn all the attacks/abillities (which mostly happens within five levels of growth) and register them afterwards.

First palace/boss done, now I get to relax, and take the things I learned into the next one, whenever that may be.

Back
Top Bottom