• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters
I rather liked all the Japanese history questions and such, added to the feeling of a Japanese high school. And gave me a chance to learn some things I didn’t know, either. I don’t see how that’s poor localization.

I didn't mean poor localization in relation to the whole game, which I think is pretty great tbh. Just that interaction I don't think is well solved... I am not asking for some Ace Attorney hamburguers adaptation, but come on, for most people outisde of Japan that quiz is a paper-rock-scissors situation. While most of them work outside of your cultural background, the ones that do not stand out more because of that.

I didn't mean poor localization in relation to the whole game, which I think is pretty great tbh. Just that interaction I don't think is well solved... I am not asking for some Ace Attorney hamburguers adaptation, but come on, for most people outisde of Japan that quiz is a paper-rock-scissors situation. While most of them work outside of your cultural background, the ones that do not stand out more because of that.
It’s called a “life simulation” for a reason… 😂

Yeah, because you enter the conscious of other people to fight their inner thoughts manifested in the form of mythological demons...
Sure because those are the rules of that particular universe. You’re a high school student having to do school things. Answering history questions relevant to where the game takes place is totally fair and an immersive part of the experience along with cultural things like food, language quirks, etc.

Got over the hump of April and now I'm starting to enjoy the game a lot more as it starts opening up.

Also I played the original 5 years ago and going from my memories of that to Royal, 1 thing is revelatory to me...

THE CAT DOESNT ALWAYS TELLS ME TO GO TO SLEEP!!!

Got over the hump of April and now I'm starting to enjoy the game a lot more as it starts opening up.

Also I played the original 5 years ago and going from my memories of that to Royal, 1 thing is revelatory to me...

THE CAT DOESNT ALWAYS TELLS ME TO GO TO SLEEP!!!
True, he doesn't very often! I didn't mind it much but it is a nice change to have more time to do things at your own pace in Royal. And congrats on getting into May! I like the beginning just fine, but yeah IMO the middle parts of the game once it opens up are where it really shines.

Sure because those are the rules of that particular universe. You’re a high school student having to do school things. Answering history questions relevant to where the game takes place is totally fair and an immersive part of the experience along with cultural things like food, language quirks, etc.
i mean if they are gonna hit us gaijin with questions that are probably a breeze for a Japanese high schooler they should at least give us that info in-game via studying. having to cheat with a bad network feature or just googling is annoying anyway.

i mean if they are gonna hit us gaijin with questions that are probably a breeze for a Japanese high schooler they should at least give us that info in-game via studying. having to cheat with a bad network feature or just googling is annoying anyway.
I feel like 3 and 4 usually had a lecture beforehand and would ask you to answer something based on the lecture. 5 doesn’t have a whole lot of those iirc.

I feel like 3 and 4 usually had a lecture beforehand and would ask you to answer something based on the lecture. 5 doesn’t have a whole lot of those iirc.
Yeah, I don't recall. But I feel like you're not really intended to get every answer right on a first playthrough, anyway. Much like how you're not really intended to max every stat and social link on a first game, either. Much more organic and fun to just go with the flow and do what feels natural, not looking anything up, IMO.

A true Phantom Thief steals the correct answers from the internet. Just think of it as being immersed in your role play.

Yeah, I don't recall. But I feel like you're not really intended to get every answer right on a first playthrough, anyway. Much like how you're not really intended to max every stat and social link on a first game, either. Much more organic and fun to just go with the flow and do what feels natural, not looking anything up, IMO.
dunno as a student googling answers is the natural way of things

TFW you realize between this, P4G and P3P, you'll be playing nothing but Persona for the next six months:

JqPC9Ft.gif

While you are right, I just HAVE to get every answer right lol.

I still find it neat that you can encounter major characters before they become relevant to the plot. And yet it is painful seeing Queen Makoto knowing I'm still dozens of hours away from her joining my party.

I still find it neat that you can encounter major characters before they become relevant to the plot. And yet it is painful seeing Queen Makoto knowing I'm still dozens of hours away from her joining my party.
A lot of that was added in Royal, actually! Vanilla game only ever had it for, well, Makoto lol. All the other chance overworld encounters are new.

But yeah I agree it’s cool. And that Makoto is the best

A lot of that was added in Royal, actually! Vanilla game only ever had it for, well, Makoto lol. All the other chance overworld encounters are new.

But yeah I agree it’s cool. And that Makoto is the best

I could have sworn you at least saw characters walking around in the background in the original but it's been so long since I played it so maybe I'm misrembering.

They sure are playing up the new character though. "Oh did you hear that about new transfer student? I heard she's super thin, beautiful, talented, athletic, intelligent, amazing. I bet she's a really cool party member and a very good reason you purchase this game!"

I could have sworn you at least saw characters walking around in the background in the original but it's been so long since I played it so maybe I'm misrembering.

They sure are playing up the new character though. "Oh did you hear that about new transfer student? I heard she's super thin, beautiful, talented, athletic, intelligent, amazing. I bet she's a really cool party member and a very good reason you purchase this game!"
Oh they definitely play up the new character quite a lot, but that leads to some really interesting things and has some great payoff, is all I will say. If it gets a little tiresome, well, just wait.

Vanilla game only ever had it for, well, Makoto lol.
I'm not sure I know exactly what you all are talking about but Haru shows up well in advance of her scenario if I'm not mistaken. Almost to the point where it certainly felt like they shifted the scenario order around late in development

TFW you realize between this, P4G and P3P, you'll be playing nothing but Persona for the next six months:
My 2023 is looking right now like Splatoon 3, Persona x3, Octopath 2, Nier Automata, and TotK. Going to be a hell of a year.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you all are talking about but Haru shows up well in advance of her scenario if I'm not mistaken. Almost to the point where it certainly felt like they shifted the scenario order around late in development
IIRC they added multiple instances of future party members appearing earlier as teases to the Royal version - Haru pops up at the garden, Makoto studying, and I think there's a few more? Whereas before, it was pretty much just Makoto, and her following you around with a newspaper, which is adorable

JqPC9Ft.gif
I've been wanting to replay P3P and P4G for a while, but the deterioration of my Vita's memory card kept me from doing so. Add in Crisis Core, Tactics Ogre, GrimGrimoire OnceMore, etc. and I'm glad the Switch is a hybrid because there is no way I would finish any of them without that portable element.

Also why didn't anyone tell me putting on the DLC costumes changed the battle music? I changed all my characters to the SMTIV samurai costumes and was greeted by that games battle music when I fought.

okay why they gotta hit me with questions about japanese history. do i look like a japanese history buff

I haven't played P5 yet but in past games the questions were always something that the teacher has told you through the course of the semester.

I haven't played P5 yet but in past games the questions were always something that the teacher has told you through the course of the semester.
In this one they start right off the bat with questions that weren’t in the lecture. Not for the exams, but for the lecture questions.

Also why didn't anyone tell me putting on the DLC costumes changed the battle music? I changed all my characters to the SMTIV samurai costumes and was greeted by that games battle music when I fought.
Speaking of those, is there a way to see what they look like before putting them on?

is that the only way of getting the music to change cuz i dont want to play with the fugly pq2 costumes

This game is wildly good, and it has that "oh, just one more day" syndrome Stardew Valley has.
That's how it gets you. You get into some free time, enjoying the chill atmosphere and wandering around doing what you want and getting into some social links and stat upgrades, and think "oh I can do another couple days, this is pretty calm and quick right now", and then BAM you run into the next big section of story events, and you start to get invested in that and want to learn more before you stop playing, and then suddenly it's 3AM and you don't know how it happened

The third palace music is really good, I beat it this afternoon and it’s been stuck in my head all day.
This game is seriously addicting though it’s really hard to stop playing

I still hate that filter they put over your screen in the dungeons. Didn't like in the original on PS4. I get that it's trying to convey a dream, hazy like atmosphere. But I think it just makes it look bad and leave you wondering if there's something wrong with your eyes.

I'm back from a full week of vacation with this game and...

Wow, this game is good. Like, impressively good. I knew I loved Persona's gameplay loop from P3P and P4G on Vita, but I didn't realize how much I missed it waiting on a portable version of 5.

Handheld devices are where this series belongs! I'm going to be so gutted when P6 is a PS5 exclusive.

I can't express how much of a good time I'm having with the Switch version.

I'm in late June, and the only issues I've seen are the graphics in certain areas (station square, yongen-jaya, and center street) are becoming more "jagged" and less "smooth" (I'm not a graphics-head so I don't know what to call it lol) as soon as I got to the rainy season and they haven't gone back. They weren't that way when I started the game so I wonder if It's something with my save file?

Other areas seem fine right now though, but I don't want the issue to continue as a progress the game.

Last edited:
I'm back from a full week of vacation with this game and...

Wow, this game is good. Like, impressively good. I knew I loved Persona's gameplay loop from P3P and P4G on Vita, but I didn't realize how much I missed it waiting on a portable version of 5.

Handheld devices are where this series belongs! I'm going to be so gutted when P6 is a PS5 exclusive.

I can't express how much of a good time I'm having with the Switch version.

I'm in late June, and the only issues I've seen are the graphics in certain areas (station square, yongen-jaya, and center street) are becoming more "jagged" and less "smooth" (I'm not a graphics-head so I don't know what to call it lol) as soon as I got to the rainy season and they haven't gone back. They weren't that way when I started the game so I wonder if It's something with my save file?

Other areas seem fine right now though, but I don't want the issue to continue as a progress the game.

Just out of interest, have you just been suspending the game or quitting out every now and again? Some Switch games (Xenoblade 3 springs to mind) have a problem with memory leaks which means graphics can be affected. I've also noticed this in late June and haven't fully shut down the game since I got it, I'll shut it down properly later and see.

Just out of interest, have you just been suspending the game or quitting out every now and again? Some Switch games (Xenoblade 3 springs to mind) have a problem with memory leaks which means graphics can be affected. I've also noticed this in late June and haven't fully shut down the game since I got it, I'll shut it down properly later and see.

That's a good call.

I've suspended and resumed a bunch, but I've also definitely "closed the app" or "shut it down" and even turned the Switch completely off. (I do this every night.) I don't think that fixed it, but I made the "mistake" of saving in one of the affected areas so I hope that didn't have an impact or whatever.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this! I'm not crazy!

Does nobody in this game mention your exam score?
I got top 10 but nobody has said anything about it. I thought sojoro at least would have some dialog for it

By the by, the first time one of the prison wardens yeeted me into the Velvet Room by kicking me in the ass was a genuine laugh out loud moment.

Third palace theme goes HARD! Dammnn.

Also, thank goodness that Mementos has more than 1 soundtrack, that soundtrack in the first 2 areas was starting to get annoying lol.

Back
Top Bottom