• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Persona 5 Royal |ST| It's Time to Unveil the Hype You've Been Waiting For

Is this your first time playing Persona 5?

• Total voters
This game is really good with Gamepass.

It actually plays really well in Xcloud and on my Xbox series S. Gives me real big Switch vibes without having to drop $60 on the game.
Afaik you can’t suspend your game on the cloud so that’s probably gonna be a dealbreaker for some. I know it is for me.

It actually plays really well in Xcloud and on my Xbox series S. Gives me real big Switch vibes without having to drop $60 on the game.
I’m very glad the Series S port and cloud functionality is done well. On the whole, it sounds like every single port of this game is well done. I’ve never really seen that before for a game with this many versions lol.

Personally though, Xcloud could never replace Switch for me, especially for a game like this, the lack of suspend or inability to play this on the train where there’s no network connection would both be total deal breakers. But I’m glad it’s done well regardless, others don’t have to care about those same things and if they don’t, it’s a great option.

Surprisingly I got my copy today lol. Booted it up and now I can get to the know the Protagonists of Persona Q2, I hear they are awesome.

Wow, I was expecting the resolution downgrade and I can understand it, but how did they fuck up so much the gamma color? Really, it's all over the place and in general the game is way darker than it should, even if you put the brightness at the max setting in the menu settings the gamma is all over the place and the image is way too contrasted, which implies a lose of detail in many areasa. Really disappointed by that since it's a matter of callibration.

I took some pictures to show how bad the calibration of gamma values are and how the excessive amount of contrast make some areas lose all the detail and just be big chunks of blackness.

Coming form vanilla PS4, the first palace is messed up all over the place with this problem. How I didn't see any review mention this is whatever...

2022102220352400-31-B7926-A16300-FCAC90-E7674-F3916-DE7.jpg

2022102220554900-31-B7926-A16300-FCAC90-E7674-F3916-DE7.jpg

Second one almost look like you fell out of the map and were out of bounds...

Last edited:
I took some pictures to show how bad the calibration of gamma values are and how the excessive amount of contrast make some areas lose all the detail and just be big chunks of blackness.

Coming form vanilla PS4, the first palace is messed up all over the place with this problem. How I didn't see any review mention this is whatever...

2022102220352400-31-B7926-A16300-FCAC90-E7674-F3916-DE7.jpg

2022102220554900-31-B7926-A16300-FCAC90-E7674-F3916-DE7.jpg

Second one almost look like you fell out of the map and were out of bounds...
I booted it up on my PS4 Pro and it definitely has a much better and more natural look compared to Switch. Not sure what happened.

I booted it up on my PS4 Pro and it definitely has a much better and more natural look compared to Switch. Not sure what happened.

It does, I played originally on PS4 too. Problem is, it has nothing to do with performance or technical capabilities, gamma color is poorly calibrated and I don't know why. I don't understand how they messed it so badly and how nobody brought this into attention in the reviews. Also, I don't expect they fix it for that same reason.

It does, I played originally on PS4 too. Problem is, it has nothing to do with performance or technical capabilities, gamma color is poorly calibrated and I don't know why. I don't understand how they messed it so badly and how nobody brought this into attention in the reviews. Also, I don't expect they fix it for that same reason.
I just compared the XSX/PC version with the PS4 Pro original version. The gamma is messed up on XSX also. It definitely looks worse than the original Royal version. I'll link pictures.

Also, this may be in my head, but I swear the Anti Aliasing has been downgraded with the new ports also. Even in 4k on XSX, I'm getting a lot of aliasing that I don't see on the PS4 Pro original version...

Last edited:
I just compared the XSX/PC version with the PS4 Pro original version. The gamma is messed up on XSX also. It definitely looks worse than the original Royal version. I'll link pictures.

Also, this may be in my head, but I swear the Anti Aliasing has been downgraded with the new ports also. Even in 4k on XSX, I'm getting a lot of aliasing that I don't see on the PS4 Pro original version...

So, it's not only the Switch version... Well, I hope someone makes some noise about it because it should be easy to fix and it's more annoying to me than the resolution thing.

Some scenes look pitch black with elements of the scenario being undistinguishable (even at max brightness) and all the detail is lost. There are instances in the first palace that I swear I don't even know if there is a wall or not in front of me. It's that bad.

It's almost like they switched the limited with the full RGB colour range or vice versa (16-255 instead of 0-255 in terms of colours).

Basically, it's like taking the Photoshop levels of any image and bringing the blacks all the way up... but I would say it's more like a 40-50 something in a RGB scale. Some areas are pitch black where wall textures or even columns should be distinguishable.

First few hours. This is really really beautiful and everything about it seems well made. It really feels immediately like a game that you could sink hours after hours after hours.

First few hours. This is really really beautiful and everything about it seems well made. It really feels immediately like a game that you could sink hours after hours after hours.
Wait till the training wheels come off! it's dangerous in how addictive it is

The negotiation themes is sooooooo good. My god, this game just OOZES style!

Why did you take 5 years to port this Atlus!?

I'm really enjoying this game so far.

The negotiation themes is sooooooo good. My god, this game just OOZES style!

Why did you take 5 years to port this Atlus!?

I'm really enjoying this game so far.
Timing the crescendo of Last Surprise with an All Out Attack never gets old, even after 300+ hours in this game

Wow, I was expecting the resolution downgrade and I can understand it, but how did they fuck up so much the gamma color? Really, it's all over the place and in general the game is way darker than it should, even if you put the brightness at the max setting in the menu settings the gamma is all over the place and the image is way too contrasted, which implies a lose of detail in many areasa. Really disappointed by that since it's a matter of callibration.

This has been really bothering me during my playthrough so far, especially in the first dungeon. Hopefully it's patched since, as you mentioned, increasing the brightness isn't the solution. I have a feeling the OLED display might actually be making the issue worse.

This has been really bothering me during my playthrough so far, especially in the first dungeon. Hopefully it's patched since, as you mentioned, increasing the brightness isn't the solution. I have a feeling the OLED display might actually be making the issue worse.

First palace so far is clearly the worst offender. Some areas are just unplayable since it's just impossible to see anything in front of you.

However, being precisely the first palace... how did reviewers didn't talk about this issue? It's clear that something is just very wrong with the contrast values. So much for the standard "colors pop!!" line that means nothing and somehow nobody points that you can't see a thing in many of the rooms you enter in the first two hours of the game.

First palace so far is clearly the worst offender. Some areas are just unplayable since it's just impossible to see anything in front of you.

However, being precisely the first palace... how did reviewers didn't talk about this issue? It's clear that something is just very wrong with the contrast values. So much for the standard "colors pop!!" line that means nothing and somehow nobody points that you can't see a thing in many of the rooms you enter in the first two hours of the game.
I'm starting to think this is a problem on your end, I've played through the entire 1st palace and didn't notice any of these issues. I was playing handheld on the OLED and the colours literally do pop. Are you playing docked? If so you might want to look at the RGB range setting in TV output in the Switch menu and see if changing that helps you.

Now to get away from the tech talk which has sadly been most of this thread, this is the first time I've played Persona 5 after waiting for a Switch port since release and I'm loving it! I'm in the 2nd palace now, so the gameplay loop has kicked in, I thought I'd get a bit stressed out about planning my time but it seems like you have plenty of time to round out your character and spend time in social links - I'm guessing this may get harder when you have more social links but everyone having a schedule really helps.

After playing TMS, SMTV and now this on the Switch it's clear to me that Atlus are the best at turn based combat, the one more/baton pass system of this game is really good and I like the all out attacks which can make basic battles really snappy if you target weaknesses. The story is engaging so far, we'll see how it turns out for the next 90 hours or so but I've got high hopes.

I'm starting to think this is a problem on your end, I've played through the entire 1st palace and didn't notice any of these issues. I was playing handheld on the OLED and the colours literally do pop. Are you playing docked? If so you might want to look at the RGB range setting in TV output in the Switch menu and see if changing that helps you.
Well, given that I can see the crushed blacks in linkwashere's screenshots across a range of devices (laptop, phone, PC monitor) with different panels/displays, the issue has to be in-game/game settings related and can't be limited to one specific device.

Now to get away from the tech talk which has sadly been most of this thread, this is the first time I've played Persona 5 after waiting for a Switch port since release and I'm loving it! I'm in the 2nd palace now, so the gameplay loop has kicked in, I thought I'd get a bit stressed out about planning my time but it seems like you have plenty of time to round out your character and spend time in social links - I'm guessing this may get harder when you have more social links but everyone having a schedule really helps.

After playing TMS, SMTV and now this on the Switch it's clear to me that Atlus are the best at turn based combat, the one more/baton pass system of this game is really good and I like the all out attacks which can make basic battles really snappy if you target weaknesses. The story is engaging so far, we'll see how it turns out for the next 90 hours or so but I've got high hopes.

I am playing handheld on a Switch OLED. You can see the schreenshots there taken directly from the Switch so that eliminates the screen calibration issue. It's not any problem on my end but a poorly color gamma calibration in the game. Also, I played the vanilla version on PS4 and the first palace isn't intended to look like that... so it's not something I could attach to a "creative vision".

If anything a badly contrasted imagen with crushed blacks is more acentuated in an OLED screen because its higher contrast.

Last edited:
for those who have played royal before, how generous is the time here? is it possible to do most social links and max our your social stats within the given time period, or is that a thing you need to with a guide like the previous games?

for those who have played royal before, how generous is the time here? is it possible to do most social links and max our your social stats within the given time period, or is that a thing you need to with a guide like the previous games?
There were only a small handful of confidants I wasn’t able to complete on my PS4 playthrough, mostly at my own fault because I wasn’t raising stats efficiently.

It's extremely easy to get all social links on a single playthrough without needing any guide.

Question.

When you have a certain amount to do a palace, and you clear the palace early. Do you still get that time at the end? Just wondering if I should procrastinate the palace to do as much as I can.

Question.

When you have a certain amount to do a palace, and you clear the palace early. Do you still get that time at the end? Just wondering if I should procrastinate the palace to do as much as I can.
IIRC if you complete the palace ahead of the deadline you basically have free time until the next scenario beat.

Question.

All except for the very last (vanilla) one iirc

Question.

The story will always move forward only after the deadline has passed.

Say the deadline is June 6. It doesn't matter whether you finished the Palace on May 21 or June 4, the story won't move forward until June 7 regardless. If you complete the palace before the deadline, you just have to "wait for the change of heart to take place" the remaining days until the deadline (you still get those days to do as you will, like social links or increasing your stats or even Mementos, but the story doesn't move forward until after the deadline).

The general recommendation is to a) do the palace as soon as possible and b) to try and do as much of it in one go as possible.

Almost done with the first dungeon, this game rules

I have only two complaints. One is the leery way it treats women, especially Ann. It's gross.

The other one is that since this game includes all DLC, I have an abundance of stuff I imagine you wouldn't normally have this early (medicine, SP healing) which means I'm not really learning to pace myself in the dungeons properly. I'm aware you would usually try to get as much done in one session as possible, but leave if you're getting low on SP and come back another day. I haven't been doing that and I think it's going to be a rude shock for me when I'm out of the DLC goodies and I'm forced to lol. Also, it gives you access to some ridiculous overleveled Personas but I'm just ignoring them (I used one once and it made the battles unfun)

Almost done with the first dungeon, this game rules

I have only two complaints. One is the leery way it treats women, especially Ann. It's gross.

The other one is that since this game includes all DLC, I have an abundance of stuff I imagine you wouldn't normally have this early (medicine, SP healing) which means I'm not really learning to pace myself in the dungeons properly. I'm aware you would usually try to get as much done in one session as possible, but leave if you're getting low on SP and come back another day. I haven't been doing that and I think it's going to be a rude shock for me when I'm out of the DLC goodies and I'm forced to lol. Also, it gives you access to some ridiculous overleveled Personas but I'm just ignoring them (I used one once and it made the battles unfun)
Not being able to turn off the DLC might be my only issue with the ports.

Started my second playthrough on Switch (the first one was on PS4 during my home isolation due to pandemic in 2020). Not gonna lie, I didn't like it very much first time around (constant "shitty adults" from Ryuji, bland villains, who didn't have a good backstory to justify their evilness, main cast didn't do much for me and etc.), but because of the recent events (which slowly, but steadily destroys my sanity) it really started to resonate with me. It doesn't mean that my personal problems with the game just faded away, but at the very least it became my way to deal with current situation, for which I'm grateful.

Likely a very dumb question, but once I save, I can safely exit the game, right, and it will pick up exactly where I saved? So if I saved in the school hallway, the next time I load the game, boom, I'm there?

That's funny, I talked myself down from buying an Xbox and Gamepass the other day with the rationale that I could get a bit of the Gamepass experience through playing P5R on Switch!

Playing this on a handheld is like a dream. Even if Sony locks up Persona 6 for a while hopefully the rumored Persona 3 remake doesn't skip Nintendo's platform.

Since I am playing with japanese va, this trailer made me realize that no matter the language Morgana is still annoying lol. Not Teddy levels but still. Given that SH2 and even SMT5 (kinda, way better) had mascots I hope P6 has a more level headed one.
I never found Morgana to be too bad, I actually rather like him overall. He has his moments of being annoying, but nothing major IMO. Nothing remotely close to Teddie. He's probably the best JRPG mascot character that I can think of (at least of the ones that actually talk).

I'm gonna restart my playthrough tomorrow I think. Only got a couple hours in before getting attacked by responsibilities and procrastination. For some reason I feel the need to play the "intro" of a game all in one sitting. Or at least one day.

I never found Morgana to be too bad, I actually rather like him overall. He has his moments of being annoying, but nothing major IMO. Nothing remotely close to Teddie. He's probably the best JRPG mascot character that I can think of (at least of the ones that actually talk).
Thinking about mascots, Miue (from Tales of Abyss) also can have annoying moments. I don't count Nopons as mascots lol rikki and riku are cool (tora is ok). We haven't heard a lot from Cait Sith in FF7 so jury still out. There aren't a lot of talking mascots.

Well P5R on Switch alone will outsell all combined copies of SH2 so… 😎
Pretty sure Soul Hackers 2 sold much less than Persona 5 Strikers sales on Switch alone. Strikers, not Royal.

Which makes me think, we could get a SH2 announcement for Switch any moment now, they need to make some money off of it.

Back
Top Bottom