• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Paper Mario TTYD is currently the top selling game on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will certainly be something if TTYD out sells Princess Peach showtime. It certainly bodes well for the game though, especially with it getting all of spotlight.

Hell, unless I am looking at it wrong, it seems all but 1 game in the top 10 software is switch games. that's really something there. Always good to see these games sell well.

9 of them are! One of them is Final Fantasy 7 Rebirth Deluxe Edition.

Never forget that Dread did the same a lot leading up to its release. Time will tell on this one!

Thousand Year Door is like a very culturally significant release from Nintendo. So many fans dying for a return to form for this franchise. The reveal was incredibly emotional for many.

It's gotta be 4+ mil at least. Come on. Break records.

Even bigger news is all 5 of them are Mario universe games. Why bother with other IP's when just one brings in all the money? (I'm joking Nintendo, please do more new IP's!)

Yep! It really shows how strong the Mario IP is and how it continues to grow 40 years on.

Thousand Year Door is like a very culturally significant release from Nintendo. So many fans dying for a return to form for this franchise. The reveal was incredibly emotional for many.

Heck yeah! I hope this is a big sign of things to come when the inevitable new game gets announced in the future. If it’s not a traditional turn-based RPG featuring new partners and such made exclusively for the game, then they’ve learned nothing honestly. But I think between this and Mario RPG selling so well, we’ll finally be getting what so many of us have been wanting for so long.

It will certainly be something if TTYD out sells Princess Peach showtime. It certainly bodes well for the game though, especially with it getting all of spotlight.
I wouldn't be surprised because its got "Mario" in the title and it's a nostalgic game for many and new paper Mario fans would want to try it.

I wouldn't be surprised because its got "Mario" in the title and it's a nostalgic game for many and new paper Mario fans would want to try it.
Yeah that wouldn't be surprising at all. Most rhetoric surrounding Peach is that it's actually a kid's game. There's no way it beats TTYD. Lots of people expressing that Peach is "not a game for them really especially not for $60" and I'm one of them.

Yeah that wouldn't be surprising at all. Most rhetoric surrounding Peach is that it's actually a kid's game. There's no way it beats TTYD. Lots of people expressing that Peach is "not a game for them really especially not for $60" and I'm one of them.
Agreed, I'd probably give it a shot at 30 dollar maybe but even then it's definitely just not meant for me

The internet never learn about realistic expectations. When this comes back and doesn't do as well as you're expecting, don't be shocked.

Assuming it doesn't completely crater at reviews, there is zero chance whatsoever that their big princess peach game doesn't outperform a mario RPG remake easily.

Last edited:
I mean, I think it will do around SMRPG remake numbers which is like 3M.

Again, I will reiterate that whatever style Paper Mario will do, it would have been decided far before this game launched. Like, I know people really really REALLY believe the lie that Miyamoto is the person behind the change in tone in PM, but the director has been the main source of those changes. If it does change, it will because whoever is in charge of PM wants it to, not because of sales.

The internet never learn about realistic expectations. When this comes back and doesn't do as well as you're expecting, don't be shocked.

Assuming it doesn't completely crater at reviews, there is zero chance whatsoever that their big princess peach game doesn't outperform a remake easily.
Super Mario RPG Remake sold pretty well. 3.14 million units I'm seeing. Which is almost the same as Paper Mario: The Origami King at ~3.4 million copies.

Those are my reference points for Paper Mario: Thousand Year Door.

I truly honestly believe TTYD is a title fans have been dying for, for a long time. And I think it can outsell the above two titles.

I have no clue how Princess Peach: Showtime! will perform but Yoshi's Crafted World was like 3.3 million.

Last edited:
SMRPG remake sold pretty well. 3.14 million units I'm seeing. Which is almost the same as Paper Mario: The Origami King at 3.5 ish million copies.

Those are my reference points for Thousand Year Door.

Yeah, and Mario RPGs have always been at the lower-lowermiddle end of mario spin off sales. Princess peach showtime should do far more than 3.5m unless it's utterly terrible. It's obviously aiming squarely for the same kind of expectations as Luigi's mansion with it being functionally very similar and that's a ten million seller.

At worst they're going to be hoping for their premiere leading lady's game to punch around the level of Kirby and the forgotten land, and that was just short of 7m last update. It would take an unequivocal sales disaster for princess peach if it ends up anywhere near TTYD sales lifetime.

Last edited:

TYD fans are certainly very vocal. I don't know if that implies the fact that they are really that massively numerous. I'm not trying to be pejorative here at all. As someone who isn't really interested in Paper Mario in general, this very demonstrative passion has long aroused curiosity in me and makes me want to try this game out.

On the other hand, I don't think a vocal minority can ensure commercial success, in the same way that I don't think a Youtuber with a puppet can give game design lessons to the likes of Miyamoto, Tanabe, or Aonuma without looking grotesque when he earnestly claims that they've lost his very precious respect.

Please refrain from insulting another user’s intelligence when they prefer different games than you do. -xghost777, MissingNo, meatbag
TYD fans are certainly very vocal. I don't know if that implies the fact that they are really that massively numerous. I'm not trying to be pejorative here at all. As someone who isn't really interested in Paper Mario in general, this very demonstrative passion has long aroused curiosity in me and makes me want to try this game out.

On the other hand, I don't think a vocal minority can ensure commercial success, in the same way that I don't think a Youtuber with a puppet can give game design lessons to the likes of Miyamoto, Tanabe, or Aonuma without looking grotesque when he earnestly claims that they've lost his very precious respect.
I mean it doesn't take a genius to realize TTYD is better than TOK

edit: the "genius" remark was comparing YouTubers to game design legends like Miyamoto and Anouma. Sometimes the fans do know better.

Last edited:

Assuming it doesn't completely crater at reviews, there is zero chance whatsoever that their big princess peach game doesn't outperform a mario RPG remake easily.
🥱

You all said the same thing about Super Mario RPG ad nauseum for months and yet it sold 3.14 million in a month and a half; even in a holiday season that also contained a major, mainline Mario

I mean it doesn't take a genius to realize TTYD is better than TOK
...are we really doing this?

You know, the TTYD fanbase is like half the reason why I'm not interested in this remake. (The other is that I'm not trusting on Nintendo to actually make Vivian trans in English dialogue. Sure Splatoon did it but that's no guarantee).

...are we really doing this?

You know, the TTYD fanbase is like half the reason why I'm not interested in this remake. (The other is that I'm not trusting on Nintendo to actually make Vivian trans in English dialogue. Sure Splatoon did it but that's no guarantee).
Why wouldn't Nintendo make Vivian trans? Other characters that came out during that era had their localization updated to be more inclusive. So I highly doubt Nintendo would make an exception for TTYD.

While it's nice to see and I really want TTYD to do well, Amazon listings are definitely not always indicative of huge sales numbers overall. I was really hoping Metroid Prime Remastered would do Dread-like numbers or better, but as far as I know is still significantly behind that.

I'll definitely be adding a sale at least! TTYD is really a fantastic game, slightly behind PM64 for me, and this remake (or remaster?) looks really good. Great that more people will be able to experience it now that it's not stuck on Gamecube behind expensive ebay listings.

Please, please, please be a success. Still one of my all-time favorites! I haven't pre-ordered, but definitely picking it up Day 1.

I never really understood pre ordering. For me at least there has never been an issue with going and buying the game day one. Why spend the money months ahead?
Honestly with Amazon it's a crapshoot anyways as there's like 30% chance you'll get the game day 1.

🥱

You all said the same thing about Super Mario RPG ad nauseum for months and yet it sold 3.14 million in a month and a half; even in a holiday season that also contained a major, mainline Mario

...yes, which puts it exactly in line with other mario RPG sales. Do you imagine it's going to have massive legs on top of that despite that not being a thing for many of the later switch life titles, for obvious reasons.

When I stop being right, or new data becomes available, I'll change my opinion, certainly hasn't happened yet. Like, Mario RPG just showed us exactly what realistic expectations for a mario RPG on switch are, and low and behold, they're exactly in line with the previous paper mario already on the platform. Sorry if I'm not one to entertain inane fantasies because origami king apparently killed a bunch of people's families.

There is no need to put down other Paper Mario games to express your excitement for TTYD. - meatbag, xghost777, MissingNo
We have a mission, this game musst outsell the last "shitty" Paper Mario games.

The series needs to return to it's glorious N64/NGC/Wii days. 😎

Last edited:
Yeah, and Mario RPGs have always been at the lower-lowermiddle end of mario spin off sales. Princess peach showtime should do far more than 3.5m unless it's utterly terrible. It's obviously aiming squarely for the same kind of expectations as Luigi's mansion with it being functionally very similar and that's a ten million seller.

At worst they're going to be hoping for their premiere leading lady's game to punch around the level of Kirby and the forgotten land, and that was just short of 7m last update. It would take an unequivocal sales disaster for princess peach if it ends up anywhere near TTYD sales lifetime.
tbh Peach Showtime will probably sell super well even if it's terrible

We have a mission, this game musst outseel the last "shitty" Paper Mario games.

The series needs to return to it's glorious N64/NGC/Wii days. 😎

You know, one of these days PM will survive a thread without people being godawful but apparently not for a long while.

Staff message
Hello everyone!

Threads about Paper Mario have historically been full of aggressive and inflammatory discourse. We do not want this thread to follow the same pattern; we want to encourage fruitful conversation.

As such, we will be keeping a close eye on this thread. We would like to remind everyone that we should treat others, and their opinions, with respect. If this thread devolves into the same pattern of insult-slinging as previous PM threads, it will be locked.

- meatbag, MissingNo, Party Sklar, xghost777

Metroid Prime is a shadow drop. Its sales will not be the same as other games. Mario RPG and TTYD should have similar sales as they both rank 1st on Amazon.

I'd be surprised if Peach got anywhere near 10 million, even if the game is great.

Luigi's Mansion was an established franchise, Showtime doesn't have that cache yet I don't think.

I hope Showtime being on here means it will do alright though - I want Peach to have her own thing that actually continues.

Even bigger news is all 5 of them are Mario universe games. Why bother with other IP's when just one brings in all the money? (I'm joking Nintendo, please do more new IP's!)
And that is also why I'm completely bored by the switch in it's twilight years, it's depending to much on that universe and outside of a handful (3D mario, new mario kart) I don't really care.

🤷

And that is also why I'm completely bored by the switch in it's twilight years, it's depending to much on that universe and outside of a handful (3D mario, new mario kart) I don't really care.

🤷
Second half of this year is probably other stuff. I'm betting.

Paper Mario is like its own thing though kinda. I don't mind that it is Mario Universe because it has so much personality.
Would I love a Zelda RPG? Yes, absolutely but I will take golden era Paper Mario.

Amazon listings are not indicative of huge sales, we got the release date some days ago + Mario Day, so preorders are up

Came here to post something positive about this remake, immediately saw the fanbase being shitty to newer games. Jesus. Whenever I think I'm being too cynical about video games, Paper Mario fans find the way to show me that it's not the case.

But disregarding that, I do hope Vivian will be rewritten to be more obviously trans in English this time. Nintendo's not stranger to writing in LGBT characters, but they almost always have to be hinted at instead of outright stated as such if they survive localization. This led to 16-year-old me liking some really shitty gay characters because it was only true representation I could find, and young people deserve more in this regard.

Second half of this year is probably other stuff. I'm betting.

Paper Mario is like its own thing though kinda. I don't mind that it is Mario Universe because it has so much personality.
Would I love a Zelda RPG? Yes, absolutely but I will take golden era Paper Mario.
Then again, I have the original here.
I love Metroid Prime 1, but I already played it and have the original and the trilogy on Wii U.

I really hope for new games in the second half.
Even the indies I want leave me waiting currently.

It deserves to be the best selling Paper Mario game, but we know that won’t happen

I don't think anything will pass SPM sales again, that launched as the first Mario game for the Wii. Now this one is being released at the tail end of the system, like PM64 and Colour Splash. Also it's been quite the turbulent series let's say, that's never good for growth.

As long as the remake does well enough to justify if's existence I'll be happy. Whatever Nintendo and IS do with PM going forward, I'll have this (hopefully) definitive remake on modern systems to play, no more dusting off the gc.

This is a game that definitely benefited from years of YouTubers singing its praises. Now it will see the sales numbers it deserved

I’m optimistic with the remake. I think word of mouth will keep it alive and with nice legs. Plus, it’s a Mario game. There’s a chance it could equal or surpass TOK, but I’ll take whatever happens.

And I agree with the fellow user that said that Paper Mario next has already been decided, so I doubt the sales of SMRPG and TTYD will impact the next game’s design.

What I would like is for the end of generaion Switch 2 titles to have Super Paper Mario HD among them. Doesn’t have to be a remake like TTYD, just some HD upscaling

It deserves to be the best selling Paper Mario game, but we know that won’t happen
I would be pleasantly surprised if it outsells Origami King. Remake + second Paper Mario on the console is probably going to pull it down, but it's getting more buzz than I expected (although to be fair it is the most interesting first party release so far this year to a lot of people).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom