• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Paper Mario TTYD is currently the top selling game on Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Asking the REAL question.

I'm convinced that Bowser getting his own game is nearly tantamount to Pokémon getting a MMO on the level of "things Nintendo/TPC won't do, unless they're really out of ideas". They know we want it. They know it would do very well, if they ever made it happen. But doing so would also cross a threshold that I'm not sure either party is ready for in the long run, because giving us exactly what we want would demand a permanent change in dynamics.
Maybe the most they'd is release an HD Remaster of Bowser's Inside Story

Speaking of which, we're due a Mario & Luigi game. I wonder if they'll go the SMRPG route and give someone the original game to remake it.

Ouch.. That's a little harsh and dismissive of the fanbase.

Idk man, we weren't really comparing to say one is better than the other.
We were just giving honest predictions for sales numbers based on inferences and patterns.
I was only highlighting differences that make a direct comparison of sales figures not necessarily matter. Different games, different histories, audiences, and genres.

As for my word choice, I don't think it's unfair to refer to the TTYD fanbase as sensitive. Certainly the thread history on the subject here tends toward that.

Ouch.. That's a little harsh and dismissive of the fanbase.

Idk man, we weren't really comparing to say one is better than the other.
We were just giving honest predictions for sales numbers based on inferences and patterns.
getting called sensitive doesn't warrant a "harsh and dismissive of the fanbase" response lol

Speaking of which, we're due a Mario & Luigi game. I wonder if they'll go the SMRPG route and give someone the original game to remake it.
I think we still need more distance before they'd even consider a second Superstar Saga remake. Most I could see is maybe they remaster the 3DS version at some point (now that the WiiU has been pretty thoroughly mined, it does feel like 3DS could be Nintendo's next main source for reselling old content)

I'm not buying it because I'm satisfied with owning the original version, but I'm hoping it does well enough to convince Nintendo to go back to the RPG formula for the franchise.
It’s not Nintendo you’ll have to convince but the current leads. If they still do not wanna make an RPG then I doubt Nintendo will force them. It’ll instead just have them potentially searching for some other studio to make it.

It’s not Nintendo you’ll have to convince but the current leads. If they still do not wanna make an RPG then I doubt Nintendo will force them. It’ll instead just have them potentially searching for some other studio to make it.
Yeah. The main thing is what kind of Paper Mario game the dev team wants to make. Not what Nintendo tells IS to make.

The only thing I can see Mario RPG's and (potentially) TTYD's successes contribute to is maybe giving IntSys more leverage to argue for more transformative casts (even though I think they pussyfoot way too much around this stuff already considering how unabated M&L Dream Team was back in 2013 with its original creations and how arbitrary they are regarding how characters are used).

Narrative/story is something they've long reclaimed, whereas otherwise too many quotes surrounding TOK's development point to the developers being fundamentally disinterested in relitigating old formulas. I think Nintendo wants Mario RPGs to continue, but I don't think they're going to force the issue if they end up not finding a suitable studio replacement. Just to highlight a similar occurrence, it's been a decade since a brand new Donkey Kong game, despite that franchise's greater commercial and historical significance. They seem fine with biding their time on that stuff.

The only thing I can see Mario RPG's and (potentially) TTYD's successes contribute to is maybe giving IntSys more leverage to argue for more transformative casts (even though I think they pussyfoot way too much around this stuff already considering how unabated M&L Dream Team was back in 2013 with its original creations and how arbitrary they are regarding how characters are used).

Narrative/story is something they've long reclaimed, whereas otherwise too many quotes surrounding TOK's development point to the developers being fundamentally disinterested in relitigating old formulas. I think Nintendo wants Mario RPGs to continue, but I don't think they're going to force the issue if they end up not finding a suitable studio replacement. Just to highlight a similar occurrence, it's been a decade since a brand new Donkey Kong game, despite that franchise's greater commercial and historical significance. They seem fine with biding their time on that stuff.

Interestingly enough, out of the whole Paper Mario lineup, only SPM and the boss battles in TOK standout, the rest is just a variation of old formulas. Modern Paper Mario is pretty much old Paper Mario with better gameplay in the overworld and bad game design in battles. Hope they fix the latter in the next one or just go full on action game.

Interestingly enough, out of the whole Paper Mario lineup, only SPM and the boss battles in TOK standout, the rest is just a variation of old formulas. Modern Paper Mario is pretty much old Paper Mario with better gameplay in the overworld and bad game design in battles. Hope they fix the latter in the next one or just go full on action game.
Questionable to be honest with you. I think the puzzles of the first 2 Paper Mario games were better than the Toad/Item scavenger hunts of Origami King. I honestly completely forget Color Splash. It's possible that game was better than Origami King for overworld stuff.

Remember, you did use 8 partners and paper abilities to solve puzzles and the games did feature actual dungeon locations that lasted more than a few mins.
(This is sort of analogous to how classic Zelda games did dungeons)

I forget Sticker Star and Color Splash, but I know for sure Origami King is pretty simple. It's mostly scavenger hunt stuff.
Well, and the weak platforming that the originals featured as well, but I wasn't going to include that because it's the same.

Maybe we can say the dungeons are comparable but idk, the overworld toad stuff is pretty boring to me. I wouldn't consider that an improvement on overworld. I honestly feel like Color Splash might have had better level design, but I forget at this point.

Last edited:

Honestly I’d like to see partners in time get the remake treatment. They can totally clean up those 3ds super star saga and bowsers inside story remakes and put those out on switch. But if they were to remake another Mario rpg, I hope its partners in time. I have a copy on my shelf but I’d prefer to play it on my switch tbh.

Bowser's Inside Story remake is one of the worst selling Mario games ever released, I don't see it ever getting sold on its own. Maybe a Mario and Luigi triple pack, with remasters of the 3DS Saga and Bowser games, and a remake of Partners in Time.

As different as the Mario RPG serieses are, TTYD selling well would almost certainly be a sign that they should explore making more Mario RPGs available on Switch and successor.

Questionable to be honest with you. I think the puzzles of the first 2 Paper Mario games were better than the Toad/Item scavenger hunts of Origami King. I honestly completely forget Color Splash. It's possible that game was better than Origami King for overworld stuff.

Remember, you did use 8 partners and paper abilities to solve puzzles and the games did feature actual dungeon locations that lasted more than a few mins.

I forget Sticker Star and Color Splash, but I know for sure Origami King is pretty simple. It's mostly scavenger hunt stuff.
Well, and the weak platforming that the originals featured as well, but I wasn't going to include that because it's the same.

Maybe we can say the dungeons are comparable but idk, the overworld toad stuff is pretty boring to me. I wouldn't consider that an improvement on overworld. I honestly feel like Color Splash might have had better level design, but I forget at this point.
Color Splash was pretty great, level design wise. It merged "level based structure" and "lived-in world" really well.

As different as the Mario RPG serieses are, TTYD selling well would almost certainly be a sign that they should explore making more Mario RPGs available on Switch and successor.
I agree. Even though Paper Mario next must be well under development and it’s gameplay already decided upon, the sales of both SMRPG and TTYD could just signal that there’s apetite for turn-based Mario RPGs.

If IntelligentSystems were to ever make an original PM game, I think it’d be during the Switch 3’s tenure, since I believe the next PM game could very well be a Super Paper Mario remake.

With how much the game has been talked up these last 10ish years and with how well Super Mario RPG did it better sell well.
Having a vocal and loyal fanbase in social media doesn’t equate to millions in sales. I’m optimistic it’ll do very well, but basing sales estimates on participation of gaming enthusiasts isn’t a very reliable forecasting source.

—————

And this is the Paper Mario TTYD thread, not the bash the fandom thread because for that people have other mediums.

Paper Mario has always had pretty context sensitive overworld game play. Even though a game like Origami King lacks in partner abilities, I wouldn't say it lacks for overworld and dungeon puzzles, which are largely what you'd expect from the series.

Where Origami King largely excels over TTYD in terms of the overworld experience is the rock solid pacing. Every TTYD chapter except the first one and the last one is in some shape or form contingent on retreading old ground. Twilight Trail and the General White quest is often the guiltiest offenders that people bring up, but you also do this across Boggly Woods and Keelhaul Key several times over. People are more forgiving of Glitzville and Excess Express because they contextualize it a bit better (though I'd argue the latter can get just as frustrating). Origami King is closer to the Paper Mario 64 experience, where the overworld experience is certainly explorative but isn't so transparently reliant on a constant retracing of your steps, making progression feel highly organic.

Paper Mario has always had pretty context sensitive overworld game play. Even though a game like Origami King lacks in partner abilities, I wouldn't say it lacks for overworld and dungeon puzzles, which are largely what you'd expect from the series.

Where Origami King largely excels over TTYD in terms of the overworld experience is the rock solid pacing. Every TTYD chapter except the first one and the last one is in some shape or form contingent on retreading old ground. Twilight Trail and the General White quest is often the guiltiest offenders that people bring up, but you also do this across Boggly Woods and Keelhaul Key several times over. People are more forgiving of Glitzville and Excess Express because they contextualize it a bit better (though I'd argue the latter can get just as frustrating). Origami King is closer to the Paper Mario 64 experience, where the overworld experience is certainly explorative but isn't so transparently reliant on a constant retracing of your steps, making progression feel highly organic.
Thanks for sharing your sentiment. This is honestly the most valid point I’ve read concerning TTYD’s backtracking.

I agree. Even though Paper Mario next must be well under development and it’s gameplay already decided upon, the sales of both SMRPG and TTYD could just signal that there’s apetite for turn-based Mario RPGs.

If IntelligentSystems were to ever make an original PM game, I think it’d be during the Switch 3’s tenure, since I believe the next PM game could very well be a Super Paper Mario remake.
I'd expect Intelligent Systems to stick to Paper Mario, with other Mario RPG efforts outsourced and moved around as needed. Ultimately we got two Paper Mario games on Switch, one original, and one remake. I think the next system will be very similar, but I think the original one is coming first, rather than having two remakes in a row.

I'd expect Intelligent Systems to stick to Paper Mario,
My sentiments exactly. It’s their bread and butter. No one else knows how to do Paper Mario like them. They’re even remaking TTYD internally.

with other Mario RPG efforts outsourced and moved around as needed.
I agree. What I wonder is if they’ll ever make a SMRPG and if ArtePiazza would be tasked with remaking M&L.

I think the next system will be very similar,
My thoughts exactly.

, but I think the original one is coming first,
I think so too. But I think that, during the Switch 3, we’ll either get two original PMs, or just one, because after Super, what can they remake? I doubt they’ll touch Sticker and Color. There’s PM64, but speaking of that game:
• Depending on TTYD’s reception, they might either remake 64 first or Super, which could look like this:
— Switch 2 = Original PM + PM64/Super Remake
— Switch 3: Original PM + Super/64 Remake

I'll take whatever alternative leads to a new Mario RPG.

My sentiments exactly. It’s their bread and butter. No one else knows how to do Paper Mario like them. They’re even remaking TTYD internally.

I agree. What I wonder is if they’ll ever make a SMRPG and if ArtePiazza would be tasked with remaking M&L.

My thoughts exactly.

I think so too. But I think that, during the Switch 3, we’ll either get two original PMs, or just one, because after Super, what can they remake? I doubt they’ll touch Sticker and Color. There’s PM64, but speaking of that game:
• Depending on TTYD’s reception, they might either remake 64 first or Super, which could look like this:
— Switch 2 = Original PM + PM64/Super Remake
— Switch 3: Original PM + Super/64 Remake
I think I'd be optimistic about Sticker and Color, but I'd expect them to be straight remasters with minimal work and mini pricetags.

I'll have to give Origami King another shot but for some reason I wasn't able to get through it.
I know for sure, that I'm not a huge fan of the Toad stuff.

I beat Sticker Star and Color Splash though. I feel like I enjoyed those more than Origami King...oddly. Even as a classic Paper Mario fan.

Last edited:
Having a vocal and loyal fanbase in social media doesn’t equate to millions in sales. I’m optimistic it’ll do very well, but basing sales estimates on participation of gaming enthusiasts isn’t a very reliable forecasting source
I get that but Origami King still managed to sell over 3 million even with an online hate campaign all the way up to launch. TTYD launching (hopefully) controversy free and in an era where we know Mario RPGs can sell with the Mario RPG remake doing well could lead to a great performance.

I think I'd be optimistic about Sticker and Color, but I'd expect them to be straight remasters with minimal work and mini pricetags.
I’m expecting them to remain secluded in their respective consoles xD

I get that but Origami King still managed to sell over 3 million even with an online hate campaign all the way up to launch.
You said it yourself: an online hating campaign. It’s restricted to hardcore circles

TTYD launching (hopefully) controversy free and
Oh, I’m sure there will be something that the usual suspects will nitpick over.

and in an era where we know Mario RPGs can sell with the Mario RPG remake doing well could lead to a great performance.
I have no doubt TTYD will perform well, but my point is that a vocal minority shouldn’t be used as a data point

You said it yourself: an online hating campaign. It’s restricted to hardcore circles
I have no doubt TTYD will perform well, but my point is that a vocal minority shouldn’t be used as a data point
Fair enough. It can just be hard to see it as a vocal minority when to this day I still see people throwing pot shots at both Origami King and its fans, and with people like Arlo swearing that TTYD fans makeup the majority of the fanbase.
Oh, I’m sure there will be something that the usual suspects will nitpick over
Yeah, there always is with the Paper Mario fanbase.

Fair enough. It can just be hard to see it as a vocal minority when to this day I still see people throwing pot shots at both Origami King and its fans, and with people like Arlo swearing that TTYD fans makeup the majority of the fanbase.

Yeah, there always is with the Paper Mario fanbase.
I mean...if Arlo's guess is that the majority of the fanbase prefers TTYD, wouldn't that explain why there is so much outcry/complaints towards the newer games?
Seems like a logical guess to me. Idk if there any way to truly measure this. I doubt in this case that we are the vocal minority though lol.

I know that I buy the Paper Mario games semi-reluctantly. I don't absolutely abhor the new trilogy but they aren't exactly my cup of tea either.

I'll take the L and be fine with the franchise never going back if we truly are the vocal minority, but I suspect the TTYD remake is the start of a big W for us.

I mean...if Arlo's guess is that the majority of the fanbase prefers TTYD, wouldn't that explain why there is so much outcry/complaints towards the newer games?
Seems like a logical guess to me. Idk if there any way to truly measure this. I doubt in this case that we are the vocal minority though lol.

I know that I buy the Paper Mario games semi-reluctantly. I don't absolutely abhor the new trilogy but they aren't exactly my cup of tea either.

I'll take the L and be fine with the franchise never going back if we truly are the vocal minority, but I suspect the TTYD remake is the start of a big W for us.
If Arlo is guessing the majority of the fanbase prefers TTYD then the games after should have done worse overall instead of 2/3 occupying the top spots along with Super.
If TTYD is gonna outsell OK then it will be by the same type of people who made MRPG/OK a success (i.e. those not in the fandom already).

If Arlo is guessing the majority of the fanbase prefers TTYD then the games after should have done worse overall instead of 2/3 occupying the top spots along with Super.
If TTYD is gonna outsell OK then it will be by the same type of people who made MRPG/OK a success (i.e. those not in the fandom already).
Or...they are buying them and complaining about them. : P (me back when sticker star came out) but like it's been so many years.
I still buy them. I'm numb to the change at this point. I still don't love the change lol.

Guess I should have stopped buying them ( lol )

Oh, I have no doubt the majority of the fandom prefers TTYD and its style. But to base a forecast on a percentage of the market isn’t accurate

I mean, those of us that like the games aren’t allowed to say it unless we want our replies flamed with people calling us “Nintendo shills” and insulting our tastes. Positive opinions on modern Paper Mario are seen as invitations for certain TTYD fans to pick fights with us, and after a while that gets tiring and we don’t even bother talking about them/defending them anymore :/

The only way to really justify this behavior is if TTYD really does end up reviewing like 90+ and sells far and away better than the post TTYD games (so above Supers 4 million). Because otherwise people have been talking out of their asses this whole time and we’ve had to deal with this harassment for a game that isn’t as massive as people have made led to believe.

And I don’t think we should even insist people crying on the internet makeup the majority of the fanbase, because the outcry against Pokemon Sword and Shield was one of the largest from any Nintendo game in recent memory and it still ended up being the second best selling game in the series.

Or...they are buying them and complaining about them. : P (me back when sticker star came out) but like it's been so many years.
I still buy them. I'm numb to the change at this point. I still don't love the change lol.

Guess I should have stopped buying them ( lol )
Your buying habits are no concern of mine but I doubt it’s a majority of the current fanbase. Maybe of those who played it during the GC/Wii era but not currently.

With how much the game has been talked up these last 10ish years and with how well Super Mario RPG did it better sell well.

Calling the TTYD fanbase “sensitive” is putting it very lightly tbh.
Personally I see people getting more defensive over criticism of the newer games than the old fans being sensitive. They just seem old and understandably grumpy.

I see more fans of the modern games in this thread than old school fans for example.

Agreed, TOK's overworld is great! I hope the next game adopts that system.

Your buying habits are no concern of mine but I doubt it’s a majority of the current fanbase. Maybe of those who played it during the GC/Wii era but not currently.
Well regardless, now this is my personal opinion but I think even newer gamers would appreciate a full on RPG game more than whatever Paper Mario is now.

So once everyone actually finally gets to play this game (TTYD), the whole narrative surrounding this franchise is going to pivot if you ask me.

And it will pivot even further if they decide to make another RPG Paper Mario game on Switch 2.

My thing is, if you are going to make an Action Adventure focused game instead....then make the combat real time instead of turn based... (sticker star, color splash, and origami king) then I would have liked it more. The big paper macho enemies in Origami King really solidified this idea for me. They really should have just made all combat real time. I would have preferred simple real time combat akin to the normal mario games.

Last edited:
Personally I see people getting more defensive over criticism of the newer games than the old fans being sensitive. They just seem old and understandably grumpy.
Being old and grumpy does not excuse how they’ve talked/engaged people who actually enjoyed these games over three different forums now.
Well regardless, now this is my personal opinion but I think even newer gamers would appreciate a full on RPG game more than whatever Paper Mario is now.

So once everyone actually finally gets to play this game (TTYD), the whole narrative surrounding this franchise is going to pivot if you ask me.

And it will pivot even further if they decide to make another RPG Paper Mario game on Switch 2.

My thing is, if you are going to make an Action Adventure focused game instead....then make the combat real time instead of turn based... (sticker star, color splash, and origami king) then I would have liked it more. The big paper macho enemies in Origami King really solidified this idea for me. They really should have just made all combat real time. I would have preferred simple real time combat akin to the normal mario games.
I don’t think this remake will all of a sudden open the eyes of the faithless to the wonders of PMRPG. The only pivot I see happening is the discussion becoming an even more unbearable mess.

That just indicates that there are a lot of vocal people online. I know people who love the newer games but are outright scared to admit it because the more intense of TTYD's fanbase won't leave them alone.

Also...like...this attitude isn't healthy. Tying so much of your personality to a game to the point where its sales is counted as an L or a W and purposefully dividing the fanbase like this into "TTYD purists and new game purists" isn't the way to go.

I think the game will sell great, and its not because of the intense TTYD fanatics that makes me annoyed at talking about the game online. Mario is at a high point right now and the schedule is set up for TTYD remake to shine. It's marketed as if its a new game and not a remake. There seems to be new elements to entice old players as well as the fact that we're currently in a Gamecube Nostalgia period. These are the likely reasons why they decided to remake this game. It certainly wasn't because TTYD youtubers made such a fuss over it and called nintendo executives names until they caved to the youtubers who are smarter than the devs.

Hell, I personally think TTYD will sell in the range of 3-4M which would match or beat TOK...but that doesn't mean the majority of PM fans are TTYD fanatics...

That just indicates that there are a lot of vocal people online. I know people who love the newer games but are outright scared to admit it because the more intense of TTYD's fanbase won't leave them alone.

Also...like...this attitude isn't healthy. Tying so much of your personality to a game to the point where its sales is counted as an L or a W and purposefully dividing the fanbase like this into "TTYD purists and new game purists" isn't the way to go.

I think the game will sell great, and its not because of the intense TTYD fanatics that makes me annoyed at talking about the game online. Mario is at a high point right now and the schedule is set up for TTYD remake to shine. It's marketed as if its a new game and not a remake. There seems to be new elements to entice old players as well as the fact that we're currently in a Gamecube Nostalgia period. These are the likely reasons why they decided to remake this game. It certainly wasn't because TTYD youtubers made such a fuss over it and called nintendo executives names until they caved to the youtubers who are smarter than the devs.

Hell, I personally think TTYD will sell in the range of 3-4M which would match or beat TOK...but that doesn't mean the majority of PM fans are TTYD fanatics...
It's a pretty casual statement, friend.

You're reading way too far into it. Probably based on you prior experiences with this topic.
A single videogame is not life or death to me. Do I miss it? yes. There are so many other great games out there.

I'm more concerned with how they can shape a sequel to be a better game regardless of what style they go with.

And like even if they continue to make action adventure Paper Mario.... we still should have an RPG mario game...
Since Mario and Luigi is dead. I don't care what they do. Just make one. Doesn't have to be Paper Mario.

Last edited:

Frankly, I think Arlo's takes aren't worth shit. Not when he's out there doing things like painting Aonuma as a monster for the great crime of not wanting to make OoT-style Zelda anymore. I'd hate to be part of a fandom that ties their wagon to what comes out of his mouth.

And when it comes to Paper Mario in particular, Arlo is like the poster muppet of a fandom pissing and moaning because it's not the GameCube era anymore, and every new Paper Mario is a sign that not only is Nintendo incompetent, but actively spiteful toward "true" Paper Mario fans.

Frankly, I think Arlo's takes aren't worth shit. Not when he's out there doing things like painting Aonuma as a monster for the great crime of not wanting to make OoT-style Zelda anymore. I'd hate to be part of a fandom that ties their wagon to what comes out of his mouth.

And when it comes to Paper Mario in particular, Arlo is like the poster muppet of a fandom pissing and moaning because it's not the GameCube era anymore, and every new Paper Mario is a sign that not only is Nintendo incompetent, but actively spiteful toward "true" Paper Mario fans.
I think that's a complete mischaracterization of what Arlo said in that video? He was criticizing Anouma's take that people wanting a more linear Zelda are simply nostalgic.

Arlo is a huge fan of BOTW and sings praises of Anouma/the design team all the time. He was just reasonably critical of that take about nostalgia and never remotely painted Anouma as a "monster". Did you even watch the video or are you just making assumptions?

His takes on Paper Mario are similarly nuanced and he praises a lot of aspects in TOK. He isn't some blind raging fanboy.

I think that's a complete mischaracterization of what Arlo said in that video? He was criticizing Anouma's take that people wanting a more linear Zelda are simply nostalgic.

Arlo is a huge fan of BOTW and sings praises of Anouma/the design team all the time. He was just reasonably critical of that take about nostalgia and never remotely painted Anouma as a "monster". Did you even watch the video or are you just making assumptions?

His takes on Paper Mario are similarly nuanced and he praises a lot of aspects in TOK. He isn't some blind raging fanboy.
The wording he criticized is taken from a translation without nuance. But more to the point, his thumbnail for that video was straight-up offensive.

The wording he criticized is taken from a translation without nuance. But more to the point, his thumbnail for that video was straight-up offensive.
It's a translation from a professional publication, we can only assume it's accurate. Especially if it was ran through a Nintendo translator before being sent in an email reply which is how most of these interviews are done.

So you judged the thumbnail without actually knowing his opinion and then criticized him based off your assumption?...

It's a translation from a professional publication, we can only assume it's accurate. Especially if it was ran through a Nintendo translator before being sent in an email reply which is how most of these interviews are done.

So you judged the thumbnail without actually knowing his opinion and then criticized him based off your assumption?...
News outlets often don't translate with nuance, or report on what another outlet used for a translation.

Also, that thumbnail was offensive, full stop.

GBrTpLlb0AAezhE

If you don't see the problem with childish shit like this coming from a grown-ass adult trying to paint himself as reasonable, I don't know what to tell you.

Back tracking always feels like an overblown issue in the older PM titles. They have that metroidvania element of being able to find new things in old areas, opening up shortcuts to cut down on the back tracking, partners that increase your movement speed, etc. The General White segment is a flawed concept, largely because it's a poor use of back tracking. Incorporating a segment late in a game where you do a victory lap and can grab stuff you couldn't grab before is fine, especially if it's tied into opening up short cuts. Having the player warp to a town, talk to all the npcs till you find the one that tells you the next town GW went to, repeat, all for a "joke" that he was right where you started is just a poorly thought out concept.

News outlets often don't translate with nuance, or report on what another outlet used for a translation.

Also, that thumbnail was offensive, full stop.

GBrTpLlb0AAezhE

If you don't see the problem with childish shit like this coming from a grown-ass adult trying to paint himself as reasonable, I don't know what to tell you.
Ok well in lue of the original transcripts we can never know. Saying the translation is potentially inaccurate is a pretty weak argument. People judge developer statements all the time off of translated interviews from professional outlets, that's not something you can hold against someone.

The thumbnail seems fine to me? A fair bit clickbaity but that's what you do as a professional YouTuber. It's the contents that matter and you just judged a book by its cover while acting authoritative.

Ok well in lue of the original transcripts we can never know. Saying the translation is potentially inaccurate is a pretty weak argument. People judge developer statements all the time off of translated interviews from professional outlets, that's not something you can hold against someone.

The thumbnail seems fine to me? A fair bit clickbaity but that's what you do as a professional YouTuber. It's the contents that matter and you just judged a book by its cover while acting authoritative.
I mean it’s juvenile and makes me not want to click on it. and yeah, thanks to YouTube I have to judge a video by its cover because the last time I clicked on an Arlo video, I ended up with right wing gamers complaining about nonsense for weeks. I can’t afford to click on videos these days without absolute certainty Youtibe won’t find a way to fuck it up.

Back tracking always feels like an overblown issue in the older PM titles. They have that metroidvania element of being able to find new things in old areas, opening up shortcuts to cut down on the back tracking, partners that increase your movement speed, etc. The General White segment is a flawed concept, largely because it's a poor use of back tracking. Incorporating a segment late in a game where you do a victory lap and can grab stuff you couldn't grab before is fine, especially if it's tied into opening up short cuts. Having the player warp to a town, talk to all the npcs till you find the one that tells you the next town GW went to, repeat, all for a "joke" that he was right where you started is just a poorly thought out concept.
To be honest though, backtracking in Sticker Star is way, way worse than any of the older PM games, but no one really talks about it because there’s a boatload of other problems with the game that are more blatant. The wiggler segment stuff in World 3 alone is worse than General White.

With TTYD, the game is mostly sound on all fronts; so critics pretty much resort to the backtracking every time.
It’s become so much of an overblown issue that I actually do think they will probably address it in some form in this remake, for better or worse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom